The Big Q&A with CEO Anton Yudintsev

Wibox

Thanks to MrFluffis for photo!

Dear Players!

During gamescom 2015, War Thunder players had the opportunity to meet with Gaijin CEO Anton Yudintsev and to ask him about his current and future plans for War Thunder, as well as some more personal questions. Today, we want to present to you a collection of interesting questions and answers from that very meeting, as well as the answers to the questions that have been raised through our Prize Question! competition.

You can find the Q&A on our website, here!

Happy Reading!

• Upvote 27

4. When it comes to getting data for planes with a low amount of information, how do you determine the certain missing parameters?

I was expecting "fly a RC plane or throw brick out of the window, take notes".

The most enjoyable and rewarding is that we can work for our audience directly, communicating with them and develop the game based on that and our own feeling and understanding. This luxury is unachievable when you make offline games with a publisher - you only get real player feedback after the launch, when it is too late anyway.​

FTFY.

17. Many players I started with have left War Thunder since then. Are you doing enough to keep the "noobs" in your game?

Anton: "No, we don't do enough. Absolutely not, but we are only humans with limited resources and capacities. We are aware that we need to do more and definitely have plans to improve the experience for new or less-experienced players in the future.​

People have been asking for you guys to create a new player zone since the beginning of time. You can start by keeping biplanes away from other planes. *looks at F2A-1*

I play War Thunder most of the time, but also like mobile games. In War Thunder, at the very moment I mostly play Ground Battles with Calliope.

I guess we now know who wanted BM-8. -_-

• Upvote 30
medal medal medal

Well, it might be possible after the start of World War 3 - but before that, I think we are pretty safe. And after that, we most likely will not have enough time to worry about it - given the fact that the flight time after discovery of a Ballistic Missile is about 18 minutes.

Hehehe I love this! funny guy!  :lol:

• Upvote 15
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

21. Any info you want to share with us about ships?

Anton: "We have made several gameplay tests two years ago regarding ships, even before we started working on tanks. And the reason why we decided to go with tanks first was the fact that the gameplay of ships in the realistic environment of War Thunder was too, well, hardcore. As one goal we wanted to achieve before actually releasing the game was to find out how two different kinds of forces interact with each other, like aircraft and tanks or ships and aircraft, we decided to go with tanks first, as it could be implemented faster and easier.

Now, we still have more tanks with rocket armament and also the British tanks in the queue which we want to implement, and afterwards we
may start working on ships again. I cannot say any dates for when we will be able to show you something at the moment."

Hmm.. This means that they don't do anything with naval gameplay atm, which is understandable, but in my reading, there is a possibility that ships won't be implemented into the game at all...

Would be bad news, as i'm really looking forward to see how gaijin would deal with naval forces.

6. Why does War Thunder outperform other online games A LOT when the internet is poor? How did you guys do this?

Anton: "When we planned War Thunder, we initially tried to address connectivity and networking. There are two main approaches in the industry: 1) 'client-based' (as most of multiplayer games), where even if there is a dedicated game server it has to 'trust' a client's data position (maybe with some of validation); 2) 'thin-client', where everything is happening on the dedicated server and the client is only sending controls and visualizing the data (maybe with some prediction based on control input). Both approaches have their drawbacks - the first is very sensitive to both client loss of connection and cheating (but of course, requires much less servers!) and can (depending on implentation) put clients with worse connection in a better position; the second is very sensitive to connection, otherwise it is 'laggy' or even unplayable. This is especially noticable in fast-paced vehicles with sophisticated physics - simple extrapolation is not realy working very well and controls latency is very important - let's say you are in almost-stalling plane!

So we invented a brand-new approach.

Everything is happening on the server, but each game client also fully simulates it's own physics world (but sending it's controls with certain redundancy to server). The server then applies controls and simulates the client's world _back in the past_ (rewinding it's time), so even a few percent of lost packets are not crucial, and then sending the _real_ actual position, velocity etc. The client also rewinds the time and re-applies it's more recent controls, if the past position was out-of-sync. In an ideal world, and without other player's interaction, everything would be synced even with 700 ms ping, because the server and client simulate the same state with the same controls at the same time - but any cheating is impossible, as the client can only change it's local position, which will not affect the server or other players, and the server then will resend correct position anyways. The only discontinuity (which looks like a 'jump') can happen if another player actualy interacted with you (on the server) - but that is unavoidable with any networking model. So, controlling your vehicle became latency independent! You only need a _stable_ ping and a not very lossy connection to control your vehicle.

This sounds like a technically rather sophisticated stuff is there any article which describes it a bit more? Would be an interesting read...

Edited by untergehen
medal medal medal

Having a few British premium Tanks sooner would be actually nice, just something british to play. im all for that, just make the prices reasonable plz. and make 1 for each teir (minus t5 of course)

Edited by NightmareDancer
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

22. What about infantry? Why we don't get playable infantry units?

Anton: "Right now it's not possible. The first reason is that War Thunder has a 'Teen' rating, which disallows 'killing' of human characters (depending on region, it can be any killing or only blood). And the second reason is that any aircraft, tank or ship in a realistic game is much more powerful than a single guy with a gun."

It's rather sad that it is the case. On one hand, I do see how player controlled infantry would be difficult to balance and tier with tanks and such. However, personally I'd like to  see NPC's running around the battlefield, in the same manner that has been shown in some of the official War Thunder trailers. 

While it may be an entirely diffrent debate, I do not understand why the "killing of human charachters" would be bad in certain nations/regions, when War Thunder quite clearly deals with aircraft and tanks that, well, killed stuff in real life. If people can deal with  military vehicles "killing" other  military vehicles, in a game that (mostly) deals with WW2/Korean War combat, I do not really see an issue. Again, that's just me I guess...

:dntknw:

• Upvote 11
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

"Немцефилы" isn't untranslatable, it means "Germanophiles", does it not? :)s

Edited by AimingWinehouse
  • Upvote 15
medal medal medal

Ahh so we found out who the "majority of players liked the calliope" were, Mr Anton Yudintsev himself.

Edited by til027
  • Upvote 37
medal

soooo when do i get my 1k gold ? :D

Wibox (Posted )

Soonâ„¢! (it was answered in Prize Question announcement: at beginning of the next week, winner's accounts will be granted the Golden Eagles and also the Crossout access)
medal medal medal medal medal

"Немцефилы" isn't untranslatable, it means "Germanophile", does it not? :)s

Yes, it does.

It's rather sad that it is the case. On one hand, I do see how player controlled infantry would be difficult to balance and tier with tanks and such. However, personally I'd like to  see NPC's running around the battlefield, in the same manner that has been shown in some of the official War Thunder trailers. 

While it may be an entirely diffrent debate, I do not understand why the "killing of human charachters" would be bad in certain nations/regions, when War Thunder quite clearly deals with aircraft and tanks that, well, killed stuff in real life. If people can deal with  military vehicles "killing" other  military vehicles, in a game that (mostly) deals with WW2/Korean War combat, I do not really see an issue. Again, that's just me I guess...

:dntknw:

Teen rating, but no mention of the gambling in the game... Battle trophies... ))))))))))))

• Upvote 16
medal medal medal

Not a bad bit of Q&A. Not much info really in terms of upcoming content, but some interesting behind the scenes stuff.

And regarding 37:

37. Is it actually possible for bullets to riccochet off the aircraft structure, like wings and fuselage?

Anton: "Of course, but it depends highly on the material. A 30 mm bullet is highly unlikely to riccochet off wood or cloth."

I though it was common knowledge this happens. Was the case before I even started playing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKMwAPx2NNQ

• Upvote 16

Thanks for the frank answers. It really helped clearing up some criticism I had in WT. And I must say, it helps me understand what goes inside Gaijin HQ a lot more, thus making me respect the decisions. Thanks for the answers, you could have just answered them in a politically correct, business smooth manner, but you did not and I respect you for that. Same goes to all the devs and forum staff.

Thanks again.

• Upvote 9
medal

. Russian Bias! A statement that is very often discussed on formus and communities...

Anton: "My favourite one! There is well-known Russian Bias in War Thunder for the International community, but what is much less known for these communities is the U.S. Bias and German Bias, which are very lively in the Russian community, where people hadn't heard about Russian Bias. So, depending on the country you are coming from, Gaijin is biased against it. We are Russian biased because we are Russians, we love Russian vehicles and thus make them overpowered and everyone else underpowered. We are also biased towards the U.S., because players from the USA pay more. So, we make their vehicles overpowered as a reward for the money they are investing, and the Russian players have to suffer because of that. We are also Germany biased, for two combined reasons. They also pay more than Russians, and in addition to that - it's untranslatable, but in Russian it just means we "simply love Germans" ("Немцефилы").

So, I think if all communities would speak one language and we could combine them, the whole Bias thing would just "annihilate". But before that, we have to live with mainly three biases. Well, there is also British Bias because Spitfires are cool. The only bias we really don't have now is Japanese Bias (or we simply haven't get it translated from Chinese\Korean community).​"

Legitimately had a good laugh at this one.

Also, confirmed Russian bias!!!!!!111

Poor Japan, no bias for you.

• Upvote 21
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I really.. REALLY hope that bias question will shut up all the whiners...

• Upvote 6
medal medal medal medal medal medal

And yet no one directly asked Anton about the plainly ridiculous inaccuracies your devs refuse to fix

Ju-87D-5 divebreaks, Bf-109F-4 gunpods, Fw-200C-1 cannon, Ar-234B-2 defensive guns, etc

• Upvote 16
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

And yet no one directly asked Anton about the plainly ridiculous inaccuracies your devs refuse to fix

Ju-87D-5 divebreaks, Bf-109F-4 gunpods, Fw-200C-1 cannon, Ar-234B-2 defensive guns, etc

when it comes to f-4 pods the final answear i got from lassar about it was that if they reintroduce the f-4's 20mm pods they will also have to raise it's br

42. What about dynamic weather? It would be cool to see that.

Anton: "Technically, it is not a big issue. It could be done immediately. But we haven't done that because it makes things... harder, especially in Arcade mode, but also in Realistic. You, for example, start to do something and die, so after respawning, you want to fix the mistake you did on your previous attempt. But by then, the situation in battle, e.g. the weather, has changed - and you suddenly cannot do this action in the same way again. You would have to do something else, which may feel 'less fair'. Or the other way around: Someone makes a right choice, but then e.g. the wind changed, and you cannot do the same choice yourself. People may interpret such things in a way that they get angry that the situation is less favourable for them now.

That is one thing, and the other thing is that the scale of our battles is too small, except for Enduring Confrontation. All other battles are like 15 to 30 minutes, and weather is not changing in such a small timeframe. I mean, it's in the game, we can activate it now, but besides the points mentioned earlier, it's actually not that realistic."

:yes: Please activate now! Please activate now! Please activate now! :yes:

Static clouds are so annoying!

And endless dusk/dawn in enduring conflict even more so!

Edited by Nebelfeuer
  • Upvote 5
medal medal medal

I really.. REALLY hope that bias question will shut up all the whiners...

But Whine Thunder is an integral part of the War Thunder experience...

Jokes aside, Mr. Anton is correct in that there is no Japanese bias.  It seems to be more of an anti-Japanese bias.  

• Upvote 7
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

But Whine Thunder is an integral part of the War Thunder experience...

Jokes aside, Mr. Anton is correct in that there is no Japanese bias.  It seems to be more of an anti-Japanese bias.  

Which would mean it's either Russian, U.S. or German Bias in your eyes, a proof to his point!

• Upvote 4