Tutorial: How To Use Manual Engine Controls

• 4 weeks later...

Recently I finally understand what difference MEC can make in term of performance and also how it can f up the engine. So I'm just curious, does the pilots in WW2 are able to control the prop pitch, radiator closure & mixture during flight?

I see some setting are not controllable in certain aircraft, so is that historical? or gaijin just throw a dice for which plane can control what setting etc

medal medal

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2017 at 0:23 AM, AmirHamzah said:

Recently I finally understand what difference MEC can make in term of performance and also how it can f up the engine.

So I'm just curious, does the pilots in WW2 are able to control the prop pitch, radiator closure & mixture during flight?

Yes. They on most machines simply had to do so. It was generally an advantage to automate most functions. Imagine if in reality you are cruising (and hence, you will lower RPM, mixture and throttle to conserve fuel) and you get attacked - now to go to full power you must first increase mixture and RPM and then throttle (WT is not realistic here and allows you to get away with incorrect procedure; so do other sims I've tried interestingly).

I see some setting are not controllable in certain aircraft, so is that historical?

Yes. In general WT manual engine settings portray what the pilots had to control.

Only exception is throttle, as all our aircraft are modelled like they have an automatic boost control including those which did not have it. This is a reasonable choice, since opening the possibility of overboosting the engine opens a proverbial can of worms; if you allow people to get away with it you get people abusing it (until engine breaks), if you make it RNG dependent when the engine breaks then you get people abusing it and randomly getting pissed off, and if you make it lead to automatic engine failure you make such aircraft unrealistically hard to fly.

Also, our overheating is designed not to portray radiator suitability but rather to make people stick to a normal regime of engine use. While unrealistic it is a reasonable system which produces reasonable results, but with the caveat that temperature management is quite simplified.

Edited by Cpt_Branko
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal

• 11 months later...
On 9-8-2015 at 7:11 PM, SpaceCat_ said:

I've been using MEC for a while and I'm still fuzzy on what mixture is for, can you elaborate? 

On 9-8-2015 at 7:52 PM, theOrangeDoom said:

I've been using MEC for a while and I'm still fuzzy on what mixture is for, can you elaborate? 

I found this on another thread. I myself don't know much about it..

mixture_nutshell.png

Should have something to do with the burning of the fuel.

If you have no fuel and just air its "too learn to produce..." because it wont burn. If you use too much fuel and too little air, there wont be a explosion and if there is, most space will be filled with fuel but no air to explode it.  For most power (best burning/exploding of fuel) you need to have a certain % of fuel to a certain % of air.

Just like how a room filled with gas but without enough air in it will not go boem if you try to light a lighter.

On the other end, if you have 99% air and just 1% gas there wont happen anything either.

You need the optimal mixture to make the combustion as effective as possible.

Sorry for bad english, im Dutch 

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 7 months later...

Can somone give me advice on p47 mec? I use the 4.7 variant for air rb.. 

i just started in air rb not so long ago, maybe 2 days ago so Mec was new to me but after watching tons of YouTube videos I'm getting there.

whats the best mixture? People say 80%? 95% when up high? But what does 110% do? As I've seen you can do that? 

So for climbing I put my radiator and oil think at around 30% that good? What % should you use? 

Prop pitch at 95%? 

Im new to dog fighting so learning that too but decided to set myself on a journey to learning the p47 and how to dog fight in air rb. I wanted to learn manual engine controls for like a year and finally sorted out the key bindings and boom working fine, just don't know what settings are good for the p47 

• 2 years later...

Just curious the original documents are they up to date?

I imagine the game has been through many changes since these were made and curious what settings some 'old vets' are using for 

P47's 

F4u's 

Spits

etc. The common fighters from each tier.