theOrangeDoom

Tutorial: How To Use Manual Engine Controls

Video: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKOB5P_zRIM

My Controls: To make it easier for you to test MEC out, I have included my personal control setup as a attachment bellow. All you have to do is download it, put it in your War Thunder folder and open it from the controls options, just make sure you save your existing setup before importing mine! 

theOrangeDoom's Config.blk

updated config: theOrangeDoom's Config.blk

Note: if you are not using my config and are setting you own keybindings, make sure all the settings have relative control activated!

49ucBF5.png

Read Before Use: The use of Manual Engine Controls will NOT make you a better pilot, it will improve the aircraft's performance by a few HP/kph. it requires constant attention and if used incorrectly can lead to engine failure. Certain features of the MEC should NOT be used until being tested on a particular plane in a test flight. To make it easier to view controls, every function group has a specific colour.

HFFidjY.png

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Engine Ignition - Num Del

Switched from "I" to prevent accidental engine shutdown when typing in chat.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Engine Controls Mode ( aka. Activate MEC ) - Num 0

Before you can access MEC you have to activate them.

Radiator Controls:

Radiator Controls allow you to close the radiator flaps and decrease drag. Note that closing the radiator flaps on certain aircraft as they are taking of can muffle the engine, and prevent takeoff. Opening the radiators to 100% can be used to slightly decrease speed when landing due to extra drag. If the plane has automatic radiator control, you will have to first turn that off by pressing Num 1 before you can manually close/open it.

Auto Radiator - Num 1 

Close Radiator - Num 2

Open Radiator - Num 3

Fuel Mixture Controls:

Fuel Mixture varies between aircraft and the altitude they're flying at. To get precise results further testing should be performed on every plane, before it is taken into combat. If you lower the fuel mixture too far, your engine will fail, if that happens, you can reset the mixture by pressing Num 4 and restarting your engine.

Reset Mixture - Num 4

Lower Mixture - Num 5

Increase Mixture - Num 6

Propeller Pitch Controls:

Changing the Prop Pitch effects RPM of the engine. If I plane has Automatic Prop Pitch control, I would highly advise you use it. For planes that do not support that feature, the prop pitch will automatically set to 50% which is not very effective, increase the pitch but be cautious, increasing prop pitch can lead to engine overreving and dying immediately, prior testing is recommended. Sometimes switching back to auto engine controls will fix the engine. If the plane has automatic Prop Pitch control, you will have to first turn that off by pressing Num 7 before you can manually increase/decrease it.

These settings work best for me:

100% - climbing and flying at low to medium speeds

90% - flying at higher speeds and initiating dives

0% - Also known as Prop Feathering should be used if your engine is dead to decrease drag

Auto Prop Pitch - Num 7 

Lower Prop Pitch - Num 8

Increase Prop Pitch - Num 9

Supercharger Controls:

Switch Supercharger Gear - Num Enter

Planes with Superchargers have 2 gears, 1st one should be used for lower altitudes, 2nd one for higher. At which altitude you should switch gears varies heavily between aircraft, hence you should always test try it. Use of Supercharger can not kill your engine, but it can hinder speed.

Turbocharger Controls:

DISCLAIMER: I have not been able to find out how turbochargers should be used, as they tend to die with even the slightest control change. Since only a handful of aircraft in the game actually support this feature, I'd recommend you don't use it...

Auto Turbocharger - Num /

Reset Turbocharger RPM - Num *

Raise Turbocharger RPM - Num +

Lower Turbocharger RPM - Num -

TL;DR: if you are too lazy to read ^this^, you're too lazy to use MEC.   

If you have any questions, requests or have spotted a mistake feel free to let me know :)

Edited by theOrangeDoom

Goosewing (Posted )

Pinned, excellent guide
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 87
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Radiator works only for oil temperature controlling, it DOES NOT affect WATER temperature. Not sure about aircraft that does not use water coolant, but my guess is that it does not work either on those. So basically OIL only.

• Upvote 2
medal

Radiator works only for oil temperature controlling, it DOES NOT affect WATER temperature. Not sure about aircraft that does not use water coolant, but my guess is that it does not work either on those. So basically OIL only.

The main idea behind MEC radiator control isn't to cool, but rather to decrease drag.

The main idea behind MEC radiator control isn't to cool, but rather to decrease drag.

Yeah, though people may not understand or know that so it's better to make it clear right now. 

Another thing is that if you close the radiator and go for the deck on such maps as Sicily, it can end for you pretty badly since in such hot maps the oil temperature gets up fairily easy. Above 2km the oil doesn't overheat anymore so after that height you can close your radiator and forget about it until you get down.

The Supercharger - supercharger altitude is different for each plane as well. For a P-51D, from what I've experienced, it works fine above 5km. For a Spitfire F. Mk XIVe it works above 6km, so it's some difference over there too.

medal

Another thing is that if you close the radiator and go for the deck on such maps as Sicily, it can end for you pretty badly since in such hot maps the oil temperature gets up fairily easy. Above 2km the oil doesn't overheat anymore so after that height you can close your radiator and forget about it until you get down.

The Supercharger - supercharger altitude is different for each plane as well. For a P-51D, from what I've experienced, it works fine above 5km. For a Spitfire F. Mk XIVe it works above 6km, so it's some difference over there too.

The higher you go, lower the temperatures go, this is basic logic, I don't think it needs further explanation.

Supercharger and all other settings differ between all planes like I mentioned, you need to test it out for yourself. I cannot provide all the data.

• Upvote 1

I tried MEC two weeks ago, I had the problem that the engine lost much power the second i activated MEC and didn't know why. As I read your guide it seems to be the prop pitch that went to 50% (I tried the Hellcat Mk1). Will it be save to just put it at a 100% manually and never care again for the rest of the match? Because the radiator is all I want to control of the engine... or do I have to reduce it all the time I dive? 

Also, when I acctivate MEC when I am still on the runway and give full throttle the engine dies immediately of too much RPM, so do I have to reduce the Prop pitch also at take-off?

And does the radiator srsly just affect the oil temp and not water/engine? Cause that would be pretty cool (no pun intended) ;)

I like how you made the graphic for it, good stuff oranges!

Personally i don't use Numberpad, all my most important MEC stuff is near WASD (1,2 are prop pitch, 3 is S/C change, R is MEC on/off) then rest is near punctuation keys (- and = for rads adjustment, [ for rad on/off.  p for prop on/off, . and / for mixture)

Further tip about Prop Pitch: I personally recommend binding Prop Pitch to the same keys as your throttle, at the same sensitivity (ideally 60% sensitivity, no higher then 70%)  If you do this it becomes almost impossible to over-rev the engine when rapidly changing throttle.  You also automatically get less drag when throttling down (usually a good thing, sort of bad if your trying to Scissor/Force overshoot though)

I keep a second set of keys for prop pitch so i can over-ride it, for me this is mostly so i can force it to stay at 100% in situation where i am throttling down but actually want extra drag to help slow myself.  Most of the time though i am trying to stay fast so leaving prop pitch to match throttle setting works wonderfully. 

I've been using MEC for a while and I'm still fuzzy on what mixture is for, can you elaborate? 

Most planes don't have very detailed mixture settings, the general gist is that you run mixture richer (higher %) at low altitude and leaner (lower %) at higher altitudes where the air thins as otherwise you flood the engine. However because basically all mixtures are simplified currently, all you usually need to do is find the leanest mixture that won't reduce power at Sea level & high speed.  You can either determine this by running top speed tests at SL and finding the lowest % possible that won't reduce your speed

or you can open the "Web Browser" to check horsepower at SL and High Speed (much quicker and often more accurate IMO, but if you don't have second monitor or play in windowed mode with WT at reduced resolution with internet browser in on the side then not easy to do) 

I don't remember all Mixture ratios exactly as most planes run great at 60% which is default, but here is what i do know

60%: P-38 and J2Ms prefer this, any leaner and you lose power at SL.  Most aircraft will run fine here

40-45%: Most Soviet aircraft prefer 40%, they just do.  iirc I-185s might prefer 45% though (both of them)... If you run 60% you'll often stall out the engine on Soviet aircraft. 

*** J7W1 35%: If you don't run 35% on J7W1 you run significant risk of over-reving the engine when changing S/C gears! 

*** P-47D/M 79%:  Running less then 79% will reduce power at SL and high speed, running higher means you'll have to change mixture over 7.2km, 79% works up to 9.2km where you then swap to 55%

Those last two are starred because both those aircraft are very finicky about mixture. 

Edited by Ottobon
  • Upvote 9
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

*** P-47D/M 79%:  Running less then 79% will reduce power at SL and high speed, running higher means you'll have to change mixture over 7.2km, 79% works up to 9.2km where you then swap to 55%

Not true.  I've asked Ottobon on several occasions to provide some evidence for this claim.  He hasn't obliged, and often just ignores me.  I've provided evidence to the contrary on several occasions, and will do so again if asked.

He's correct about lower altitudes.  Testing at every 10% interval, 70% mixture at sea level gives drastically less performance than 80%.  However, at high altitudes, up to 9km, there is no difference in performance between ~40% and ~110% fuel mixture.  At 10km you must drop the mixture below 90% or risk the engine dying.

You can use 79% mixture and be ok at all altitudes, but it's not the only setting that works.  I use 80-85% mixture at all altitudes from take off up to 10km and I experience no issues in the P-47D's. 

Edited by xBromanx

I tried MEC two weeks ago, I had the problem that the engine lost much power the second i activated MEC and didn't know why. As I read your guide it seems to be the prop pitch that went to 50% (I tried the Hellcat Mk1). Will it be save to just put it at a 100% manually and never care again for the rest of the match? Because the radiator is all I want to control of the engine... or do I have to reduce it all the time I dive? 

Also, when I acctivate MEC when I am still on the runway and give full throttle the engine dies immediately of too much RPM, so do I have to reduce the Prop pitch also at take-off?

And does the radiator srsly just affect the oil temp and not water/engine? Cause that would be pretty cool (no pun intended) ;)

It should be safe, but in certain instances the engine could die, ( going to a dive once overreved with a yak ), considering the hellcat has no autoprop pitch, 100% should work fine. 

I would not recommend you activate the MEC on takeoff, but after being in the air, if your engine dies from overreving it's because you set the prop pitch too high. Some planes have very sensitive propellers.

I really don't know about that  :dntknw:

Further tip about Prop Pitch: I personally recommend binding Prop Pitch to the same keys as your throttle, at the same sensitivity (ideally 60% sensitivity, no higher then 70%)  If you do this it becomes almost impossible to over-rev the engine when rapidly changing throttle.  You also automatically get less drag when throttling down (usually a good thing, sort of bad if your trying to Scissor/Force overshoot though)

I keep a second set of keys for prop pitch so i can over-ride it, for me this is mostly so i can force it to stay at 100% in situation where i am throttling down but actually want extra drag to help slow myself.  Most of the time though i am trying to stay fast so leaving prop pitch to match throttle setting works wonderfully. 

I never thought about binding both together, that's genius :D I'll have to play around with it a bit.

You can use 79% mixture and be ok at all altitudes, but it's not the only setting that works.  I use 80-85% mixture at all altitudes from take off up to 10km and I experience no issues in the P-47D's. 

79% will even lower your top speed compared to 80+ at low alts.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

It might.  Like I said, I only tested at every 10% interval, so I don't know exactly how 79% will work at sea level in the P-47D.  I know 70% is too low, but 80-120% works just fine.  I do think, however, that the lower the mixture setting is, the cooler the engine runs.  I know that's how it is with pitch (lower pitch = cooler engine), but I can't remember exactly if the mixture does the same thing.

For pete sakes can we not make another P-47 thread, I retested it ill post what i found below

They changed it on M and D

D doesn't seem to care what mixture you run in test flight, you can run 0% now (they used to be the same

On the M Model:  i always look for leanest mixture at maximum level speed at SL (at climbspeed you could run leaner but why?)... Right now that is at 82% rather then 79% like before, also they changed high altitude characteristics so you don't need to mess with it until like 9.5km or so, and instead of turning it down to 55% you only need to turn it down to 65% to get to 11km now 

(if you run 79% you will lose 50hp at SL and max speed, 60% is a massive 500hp lost though)

Honestly i was just trying to give helpful hints, i like flying lots of different planes so some of the info i have on mixture in particular may be out of date but usually that is a better starting point then nothing.  If i had a better computer and a 2nd monitor it would be up to date constantly 

Edited by Ottobon
  • Upvote 1

For pete sakes can we not make another P-47 thread, I retested it ill post what i found below

Honestly i was just trying to give helpful hints, i like flying lots of different planes so some of the info i have on mixture in particular may be out of date but usually that is a better starting point then nothing.  If i had a better computer and a 2nd monitor it would be up to date constantly 

Stop spreading misinformation then, especially after we've had this discussion before....several times.  I've already told you, and presented the evidence to suggest that you are wrong on several occasions.  I also told you that any time you posted your misinformation I would correct you.  Either update your data, or simply stop posting about the P-47D's MECs all together.

If you don't post anything that needs correcting, I won't try and correct it.  I'm perfectly fine having an MEC thread not be about the P-47, but if you insist on constantly posting misinformation after I've repeatedly demonstrated it to be wrong, then I'm going to continue to correct you.

Edited by xBromanx

Personally i don't use Numberpad, all my most important MEC stuff is near WASD (1,2 are prop pitch, 3 is S/C change, R is MEC on/off) then rest is near punctuation keys (- and = for rads adjustment, [ for rad on/off.  p for prop on/off, . and / for mixture)

This actually never worked for me.. i tried it out, and with the 109E3 you still overrev at engine 100% engine with the binds you speak of. 

Edited by TinyTinyDwarf
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

[background=#f7f7f7]This actually never worked for me.. i tried it out, and with the 109E3 you still overrev at engine 100% engine with the binds you speak of. [/background]

That issue with the 109 E overrevving the engine randomly at 100% effectively ends as you move on the Friedrichs (and onwards). Which will only ovverrev if you throttle to 0 during a dive then sharply increase to WEP as you exit (another sure way to kill engines to to immediately WEP on takeoff with 100% pitch). USSR planes I've flown will overrev quite easily. Don't even think about disabling Auto-Pitch for the 190s, they're nigh impossible not to overrev.

There's actually a lot of planes that will work perfectly fine if you leave pitch at 100% and WEP carefully, Later 109s/Tempests/Hellfats/Spits/Ki84s and many more

This actually never worked for me.. i tried it out, and with the 109E3 you still overrev at engine 100% engine with the binds you speak of. 

E-1/E-3 is a special case where the propeller speed/RPM regulator isn't working so unless you keep prop pitch tailored so that you never exceed 2400-2600RPM (so basically adjusting prop pitch vs IAS) you will always over-rev as you start flying faster.  FW 190s also have some issues but luckily they have automatic propeller regulator so just never turn this off. 

What i mentioned will work on other planes without auto prop pitch pretty well, still its important to not use MEC if your below about 100-120kph IAS

Edited by Ottobon

I've been seeing a lot of misinformation here about fuel mixture

you should always run the engine on the richest setting possible why, because more fuel means more power and more liquid to cool the engine.

So basically if a plane doesnt begin to sput and lose rpms at altitude at a certain mixture keep it there, only lower it when you get those issues.

Also in game auto prop pitch just means that the AI takes care of the ENGINE RPM LEVER  to whatever throttle position you have. When you turn it off it means you are in control of the ENGINE RPM LEVER on most planes except early ones like the bf109 e1 e3 f1 and f2 (in these you actually control the pitch (angle) at which the prop is to the air) you should use 100% (when you need max power) as it keeps the engine in its power brand as the propeller governer takes care of the actual prop pitch. Also to correctly use manual engine controls you should read the planes manual so that you can set the correct throttle setting and rpm setting for the engine for - continuous mode- military mode- emergency mode.

Edited by R6ckStar
medal medal

I've been seeing a lot of misinformation here about fuel mixture

you should always run the engine on the richest setting possible why, because more fuel means more power and more liquid to cool the engine.

So basically if a plane doesnt begin to sput and lose rpms at altitude at a certain mixture keep it there, only lower it when you get those issues.

Also in game auto prop pitch just means that the AI takes care of the ENGINE RPM LEVER  to whatever throttle position you have. When you turn it of it means you are in control of the ENGINE RPM LEVER on most planes except early ones like the bf190 e1 e3 f1 and f2 (in these you actually control the pitch (angle) at which the prop is to the air) you should use 100% (when you need max power) as it keeps the engine in its power brand as the propeller governer takes care of the actual prop pitch. Also to correctly use manual engine controls you should read the planes manual so that you can set the correct throttle setting and rpm setting for the engine for - continuous mode- military mode- emergency mode.

You should do a guide as well, it would be interesting.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal