Laurelix

Is it me or 90mm gun on tanks like M26 is absolute garbage?

It's not just the US 90mm. The US 76, German 88's and 75's and sometimes the Russian 85's and 76's all have problems in terms of ammo racking opponents. It's not a very reliable way to kill tanks at the moment.
  • Upvote 2
medal medal

I keep shooting tanks in ammo and The ammo doesn't explode. It never explodes. Shot tiger II on dude right in anmo rack and the ammo reck went yellow.

I shot Jagdpanther on the side and the APCBC acted like APCR, barely any shrapnel or damage

It's RNG

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal

It's not just the US 90mm. The US 76, German 88's and 75's and sometimes the Russian 85's and 76's all have problems in terms of ammo racking opponents. It's not a very reliable way to kill tanks at the moment.

I disagree. the Russian 85mm ZiS-53 has great stopping power and is good at detonating fuel tanks. Easiest way to quickly kill a KT, just put APHE into the very corner of his rear engine armor to ensure the HE charge explodes inside the tank.

The ammo racks may be a bit buggy, but i definitely wouldn't call the 90mm "Garbage" 

Using this to apply more detail to previous sentences, I don't consider any gun reliable for detonating ammo racks except for the 122mm IS-2 gun. Racks are so unreliable I find them 100% useless to target. Doesn't matter what gun. Racks only ever turn black and that's it. I haven't gotten an ammo rack detonation in god knows how long.

So to that degree, the 90mm gun is actually very well performing. I regularly witness M36s and Pershings penetrating KT II (H) Mantlets and OHKOing them to boot. I simply find nothing wrong with the 90mm, infact I find it quite fearsome.

medal medal medal

The ammo racks may be a bit buggy, but i definitely wouldn't call the 90mm "Garbage" 

If the ammo rack is empty on your screen it would show ammo rack hit (black) but does nothing.

If the ammo rack is empty on your screen it would show ammo rack hit (black) but does nothing.

In that case, every single time I hit an ammo rack it's empty.

medal medal medal

On some tanks there is only 1 ammo rack loaded if you carry 30 rounds or less (depend on your gun caliber). For example there are 6 racks on Tiger 2H but if you load 20 rounds then you will have only the forward left rack filled.

Edited by Mig17AFresco
  • Upvote 1

On some tanks there is only 1 ammo rack loaded if you carry 30 rounds or less (depend on your gun caliber).

Yup, part of why i like driving all the vehicles i can is so i know which ammo racks to aim for (which actually have ammo at low ammo load), as the penetration camera itself won't always give you all the information you need

Part of why early T-34s are so "tanky" is because the only Ammo rack that has any rounds in it with low ammo (less then about 35 rounds) is the rack in the floor of the tank itself, but the penetration camera won't tell you this. 

Edited by Ottobon
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

In that case, every single time I hit an ammo rack it's empty.

Yep, people are probably getting smart with the amount of ammo they have loaded. 

I myself never take more than half the possible ammunition load. 

Edited by MaximeDelaroux
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I never take more than 20 rounds on large caliber gun like 85mm, 88mm, 90mm and 15 rounds for IS2. The only exception is 40 rounds on leopard 1 because I have that big rack in the front that can hold 40 round.

Yep, people are probably getting smart with the amount of ammo they have loaded. 

I myself never take more than half the possible ammunition load. 

I normally take about 1/3, only on tanks with very small ammo load (IS-2 is good example) do i end up somewhere near 1/2

given we can actually reload at cap circles nowadays there is no reason to take excess ammo, the one exception being on Kursk where sometimes its better to add about 4-16 extra rounds (very large for 4 rounds vs very small caliber for 16 rounds) due to all the extra ranging shots one may need. 

Edited by Ottobon
  • Upvote 1

The 90mm gun is good when it comes to after-penetration effects, it's pretty similar to the German 88mm, and almost no guns in the game will reliably kill by Fuel tank or ammo detonation anyway.

Really if you can penetrate enemy tanks there's not much reason to not kill the enemy in 1-2 hits, but the garbage part about the US 90mm's is their penetration, only the M26E1 and T32 have decent penetration. This is when you are using the M82 shot by the way.

The US 90mm M3/M3A1/M36 need their reload speed buffed, to more historical numbers. It would give them a good niche if they had fairly powerful cannons, but had the best reload for the firepower they put out, then suddenly it would make a lot more sense to say the US tanks are good at flanking.

Then there's the 76mm guns, they are literally broken, it is almost impossible to kill any tanks except for the smallest ones, that gun just does so little when it penetrates that you can not kill most enemy tanks in any situation. Two days ago I spent about 15-20 rounds trying to kill an IS-2 with my M4A3 76mm HVSS, I only bounced one, the first 10 or so were APCBC, but it wasn't actually going far enough into the tank to damage anything so I had to switch to the M79 AP shot and pick off all his crew members. I would have died if my first shot didn't jam his turret ring so I could circle him, it was the only damage my APCBC rounds did that wasn't yellow. I've complained about lack of damage in certain ammo before, but the 76mm takes it to another level, it is simply the worst gun tier for tier in the game, it can't do the job and even if you flank opponents, you have a very small chance of being able to disable them long enough to kill them, otherwise they will kill you before you land any significant blow.

You need the Russian red ordinance 122mm stronk gun comrade. One shot tank all time, errytime

Combined with the Russian Number Generator and we have the winner :lol:

• Upvote 3

For the 76mm... I found it most effective to fire APCRs in this gun solely, I'm not using any other ammo for a couple of patches...

Using this to apply more detail to previous sentences, I don't consider any gun reliable for detonating ammo racks except for the 122mm IS-2 gun. Racks are so unreliable I find them 100% useless to target. Doesn't matter what gun. Racks only ever turn black and that's it. I haven't gotten an ammo rack detonation in god knows how long.

So to that degree, the 90mm gun is actually very well performing. I regularly witness M36s and Pershings penetrating KT II (H) Mantlets and OHKOing them to boot. I simply find nothing wrong with the 90mm, infact I find it quite fearsome.

Fighting Tiger's in my SU-85 and T-34-57 if you shot their floor ammo rack, which can be hit easily by shooting above the top track but below the fender. They only have 60mm's of armor there, so even if well angled it's a one shot 80% of the time. Alliteratively, shooting the side ammo rack if they aren't angled is 100% for me so far.

Outside of them, and Shermans (dat side ammorack doe) I agree quite a bit. With that said, in my T-34, even when in 3.3 br matches, if anything hits me square from the side it ammo racks me every time. I wish I could do that vs the T-34's I fight.

I maintain, the 85 on the SU-85 is the best gun in game, until the IS-2.

Edited by AS_Deckard
medal medal

I'm pretty sure 90mm gun has comparable explosive power to 122mm

In real life depends on version, late and early M82

anyway, this doesn't matter anyway. There is a threat in this forum were people went in the game code.

And really, I was almost thinking about Bias when I saw what the did.. A example:
The 128mm has in RL 2-3x as much or even 4-5x as much effective HE filler then the 122mm on the T-10m

Hell, it had almost as much as the 152 from what I understand.

Meanwhile 128mm does way less after penetration explosion damage then the 122mm from the T-10m. What is actually discusting...
Another example:
Early 90mm M82 without the tracer had for example more HE filler then the 122mm... Meanwhile ingame Edited by BananaG0D
medal medal medal

Think you are incorrect, the US Army M82 90mm round only had 0.31 lb explosive filler type D, per TM-42-0001-28 army ammunition data sheet (page 2-47). This is still lower than 122mm for the T-25TA/2A17 cannon
Just few filler weights for comparison:
BR-471 .34 lb
BR-471H 8.4 lb
OF-471 7.94 lb
OF-462 8.1 lb
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Think you are incorrect, the US Army M82 90mm round only had 0.31 lb explosive filler type D, per TM-42-0001-28 army ammunition data sheet (page 2-47). This is still lower than 122mm for the T-25TA/2A17 cannon
Just few filler weights for comparison:
BR-471 .34 lb
BR-471H 8.4 lb
OF-471 7.94 lb
OF-462 8.1 lb

You had a early one without tracer with slightly more explosive filler then the 122mm
And a late one with tracer with less explosive filler.
medal medal medal

In my experience, all guns below 100mm+ caliber perform poorly in game.

Superman crews, RNG module counters and wonky damage model issues increase this problem even further.

In my experience, all guns below 100mm+ caliber perform poorly in game.

Superman crews, RNG module counters and wonky damage model issues increase this problem even further.

I've had frontal penetration thru ammo rack and fuel tank of T54 that didn't kill him from my Leopard's 105 HEATFS. He was on fire but still have enough time to turn his turret at me and shoot me. Sometimes I was shot frontally and all I got was a red ammo rack on Leopard.

You had a early one without tracer with slightly more explosive filler then the 122mm
And a late one with tracer with less explosive filler.

The Army Ordnance manual only lists one version of M82 (90mm) listed in the TM 42-0001-28 and it shows the one with a tracer and 0.31lb of "type D" explosive filler.
However, it also states that two different primers are available and "a varying amount of propellant with or without igniter charge depending on the velocity desired". Two velocities are listed, 2600 and 2800 fps
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal