Been_Benuane

I'm a new player. Why did this game suddenly get much more difficult?

Hi.

I started playing this yesterday (being a fan of second world war aircraft when I was an adolescent). I chose the Soviet Union to start with just as a "what the hey" thing. I immediately loved it, and was getting at least 5 kills a mission. It did dawn on me that the Polikarpov I-15 biplanes I was flying enjoys a clear performance advantage over the other biplanes and was all over the hapless Boeing peashooters.

However, all of a sudden I was joining games on new maps where the other players are all flying monoplanes with enclosed cockpits. I went from getting at least five kills a game to suddenly struggling to get even one kill (and losing most if not all my planes). I'm still in the Polikarpov biplanes and I'm supposed to take-on early model Spitfires, Wildcats, Messerschmitts, Airacobra's?! The other players just zoom-and-boom me, and while I can score hits and get assisted kills, actually shooting them down is now really difficult. Then there's the bombers I struggle to catch let alone do enough damage to. Even if I score critical damage, someone else usually seems to get credited the eventual kill.

Can someone at least explain: Wha' happened?!

Edited by Been_Benuane

Pacifica (Posted )

Welcome to War Thunder and the Forum ! o7

Please check out the Academy Section found here for further Help:- http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/forum/161-the-academy/
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Probably you've put a plane in your lineup with a higher battle rating (BR) which influences which opponents you'll face. One of those biplanes has a BR of 3.0.

Have a look into wiki what BR is and how its used :)

• Upvote 6
medal medal medal medal

Either you took a plane with a higher BR and/or Tier in your lineup, or you played at times with low ammount of players online forcing the Matchmaker to do strange things.

It may be because you stepped outside of the "Reserve Plane" area.

medal medal medal medal

Keep your average BR around 2.0 when you just started game.

Get some game experience and level up. When leveling up, keep an eye on your average BR. Don't put a plane with BR 4.0 in a <3.0 lineup. You will face stronger enemies and better planes. 

medal medal

Probably you've put a plane in your lineup with a higher battle rating (BR) which influences which opponents you'll face. One of those biplanes has a BR of 3.0.

Have a look into wiki what BR is and how its used :)

Thanks for that advice, I'll have to take a look next time I play. I still cant believe that a biplane can be considered equal to a Spitfire though.

Thanks for that advice, I'll have to take a look next time I play. I still cant believe that a biplane can be considered equal to a Spitfire though.

Thats because the BR's arent done by the planes performance, but by the players performance with them.

That means if ppl try to turnfight a biplane all day, this mistake is rewarded with a high BR for that biplane.

its silly, it has been mentioned already plenty of times how silly it is, how to change this but yet it hasnt changed...

• Upvote 18
medal medal medal medal

There is no 'equal' in this game.

From Tier 1-5, you'll randomly be in vastly better/worse planes/tanks than the enemy - clubbing or getting clubbed.

The Battle Rating system and match maker has always been one of the biggest complains.

Once you learn the game more, you can manipulate things a bit by selecting good lineups and squading up with other good players.

Edited by ProfiteerNZ
medal medal medal medal

Yeah it looks like one of those Polikarpov biplanes I researched (the I-153) has a battle rating of 3(!).

I think I won't fly that again for a while. Will flying it with the reserve aircraft with low battle ratings prevent me from having to helplessly face the more advanced planes?

Because otherwise: I think it might only be useful as a point-defence fighter or something.

when i started 2 years ago new players were kept in a sandbox with other new players, all flying reserve planes on GS stalingrad map. after a certain amount of experience or plane unlocking you got moved up to GS africa canyon and Dom krymsk with planes in what would be now considered BR 1.0 to 2.0.

supposedly gaijin ended the grace period of reserve only matches for beginners maybe last year? maybe they reinstated it.

anyways it sounds like you just graduated to playing with the general population/seal clubbers.  enjoy wearing the big boy pants and follow the abc's (Always Be Climbing).

medal medal medal medal medal medal

The Soviet biplanes are considered a bit OP as well...Spitfires, Hurricanes, Me109s, Fws...all meat for them, because people insist on trying to turnfight them, and those biplanes probably could fly into a barn going one direction and fly back out the same door without leaving the barn  8/s  (obvious exaggeration, but yeah...).  They're probably some of the most dangerous things you'll see in lower tier games, and when you get really good with them, you'll be making higher tier monoplanes wish they'd never seen you.

The Soviet biplanes are considered a bit OP as well...Spitfires, Hurricanes, Me109s, Fws...all meat for them, because people insist on trying to turnfight them, and those biplanes probably could fly into a barn going one direction and fly back out the same door without leaving the barn  8/s  (obvious exaggeration, but yeah...).  They're probably some of the most dangerous things you'll see in lower tier games, and when you get really good with them, you'll be making higher tier monoplanes wish they'd never seen you.

I out-turn all of those fighters and score plenty of hits, often critical ones. But they usually run out of range before I can completely shoot them down, or a team-mate comes in and gets the kill credit.

And often they zoom-and-boom me and there's nothing I can do about it, comes out of nowhere.

I seem to get more than one kill or two kills only if I can circle above a team airfield or something. And that runs the risk of getting shot down anyway, especially if they arrive in numbers :(

Anyway, off to play with lower battle rating.

Try this for your lineup for the time being... and this will put you against 2.7 avg planes - which can be overwhelming at times, but, you also have a selection of targets to choose from

(left to right)

Zhukovsky's I-153 (2.0)

Su-2 series bomber BB-1 MV-5, TSS-1 (1.7) (not M-82 as it is 2.0)

I-15bis (1.3)

I-15 (Reserve Aircraft) (1.0)

as you have the first 3 set here, you can then change out the equivalent aircraft of the same rating

with the exception of the I-15bis which only has the I-16 type 5 as a replacement.

This will give you a nice learning curve in battles, and once you feel you are ready, you merely move each rating down the line..

medal medal medal medal medal

The sandbox should be still there. He just made enough games to get out of it.
Which in turn shows that the protection for new players is too short.
medal medal

I was shocked when I figured out the BR system. At first I thought it meant popularity (Rating generally does) but I was shocked at my usual lineups.

medal

It is too short

BR jump is also a big moment of danger - how many players do we lose for this reason ?

I've wondered that so many times, and even stated it in gen chat many times...  and GF seems to do it worse than planes.

Yeah you probably went up in BR. Another thing to note, almost always when you go up to the next 'tier' of planes (usually every +1.0 BR) the game will feel more difficult as you have new stock planes competing against players who have upgraded ones. Also, players are more experienced and tactics change slightly the higher you go.

Eventually you get used to it and can perform well.

medal medal medal

Read...Read...read..

read the manual first   :lol:

or get a buddy who flies a little longer he can tell you a lot 

or join a squadron with good players they will kick your xxx first

Edited by Thonys

With Soviets yu probably want to grind up to the Laggs approx BR2.3. You'll have cannons then.

The British also have a decent line up arounf BR2.0 where you can have some Spits and Hurricanes. The 7mm machine guns have had a bit of love blessed on them recently and you can really deal out some damage with a 12x MG or rocket equipped Hurricane.

stick with russian hardware... once you start using other nations, there is a severe, mysterious and unexplainable drop in quality ; )

Edited by scruffyhobbit
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

stick with russian hardware... once you start using other nations, there is a severe, mysterious and unexplainable drop in quality ; )

Only in low tiers :)

>Tier 3 Russia get wooped.

• Upvote 1
medal medal

This thread makes me miss the 20 tier system. You could actually figure out all the planes within a small range of what you'd be fighting.

medal

You can do that now, too.

Pretty much. What we have now is basically a 25-level system. Whatever BR your line up is, you will be facing planes +/-4 levels (i.e., 1.3 BR).

Of course, this means it is worst at the low end (BR 1, where you will always be facing planes at your level or up to 4 levels higher than you) and somewhat easier at the high end (where you will always be facing planes at your level or up to 4 levels beneath you).
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal