Sign in to follow this  
IlI_ACE_IlI

Need help with rudder settings.

Ok so I love playing with my Oculus DK2 in RB mode, and I even get giddy like a girl when I think about playing SB mode. However I do not have and Flight pedals and can not for the life of me get that fine tuning to get on target to make the shot count when I pull the trigger. Right now I have it set my rudders to keyboard so when I press them and then try to rudder the plane, the plane acts like its has some sort of muscle spasm and I seem to yo-yo (left-to-right) back and forth on the screen this applies to maneuvering as well.

So as it cost me a lot to repair for damages when I lose and I don't want to keep going broke, because I cant shoot anyone. So with out having my own pedals I feel like I'm already putting myself at a disadvantage to other SB players, is there another way to do rudders with out pedals or some way that I can rig a solution until I can purchase a set?

Set up an axis with relative sensibility (or relative something) as your rudder control. Probably you should use your joystick's yaw axis (implying you have one) but any key works

Or trimm the rudder real fast when needed and have a easy key to "reset trimm", if your plane allows it.

Edited by Sigilli

You shouldn't be using rudder when aiming on a target. It's inefficient, and it displaces your bullet stream.

Instead start practicing lining up shots using your ailerons. It might feel weird at first, but with practice it all becomes natural. Rudders are used more for maneuvering, not aiming.

medal medal medal medal

Logitech 3D Pro joystick is the best for its price, I found mine for under $20 US.  It gives you the ability to twist the stick for your rudder.  Unfortunatly, twist sticks are nothing like a good set of rudder peddles.  Rudder peddles are really worth getting and paying for a decent set.  I spent over $100 on mine, they're metal, well built, and a great investment.  I also use them to steer and break/clutch tanks and I use my joystick for aiming the turret and guns.

Also, if you use a twist you'll have a bit of a hard time getting used to your peddles.  They'll feel backwards to the movement your used to if you don't have them inverted. When you twist right to yaw right the right side of the joystick is moving twords you and the left side is moving away.  With rudder peddles you push your right foot forward to yaw right, which brings your left foot back. So the twisting with feet vs hand is reversed and you'll find your wanting to twist with your feet the same way you did with your hand.

Using the twist joystick is also hard to fly properly with and may interfere with your aim more than help.  You tend to twist a lot and not even notice it while intending to just work the stick.

Working your rudder is a lot like working a pendulum because of the yaw oscillation in this game.  You can't deflect in one direction and return to neutral without doing so gradually and sometimes possibly countering.  A keyboard will be tough to setup to do that, and different planes and their sensitivities will require you to change your settings depending on the planes your in.

I've felt your pain, but I love my peddles and wont fly in any mode other than SB anymore.  They are very much worth getting if you enjoy flying.  There are threads on how to use mouse-joy in SB, they also talk about keyboard control of your rudder, I recommend looking at those posts for tips on how to setup and fine tune your settings for keyboard control.

medal medal medal medal

also, when using the yaw axis on my extreme 3d pro, I set a pretty big deadzone and low linearity, to not use the rudder when handling the joystick by accident

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

have been thinking real hard about this one....did the key board switch with my x axis on my joystick and it gave me a lot more control over my rudder, a lot. It just felt so weird and wrong tho...so I have dropped the money and am now waiting for my pedals....now if they can get the oculus fixed.

any one who was looking for more control with out dropping $150 on pedals I do recommend the keyboard switch with the x axis. use your keyboard for rolling, then use the joystick for pitch and rudder. it feels funny at first but I imagine it will become normal eventually. I am spoiled so I had to get the pedals.

also, when using the yaw axis on my extreme 3d pro, I set a pretty big deadzone and low linearity, to not use the rudder when handling the joystick by accident

I simply use high nonlin so I only add very, very small ammounts of rudder when I don't want to (except mine is a bit broken and adds left yaw when I pull on the stick. No, even when I pay special attention to not twist the stick).

have been thinking real hard about this one....did the key board switch with my x axis on my joystick and it gave me a lot more control over my rudder, a lot. It just felt so weird and wrong tho...so I have dropped the money and am now waiting for my pedals....now if they can get the oculus fixed.

any one who was looking for more control with out dropping $150 on pedals I do recommend the keyboard switch with the x axis. use your keyboard for rolling, then use the joystick for pitch and rudder. it feels funny at first but I imagine it will become normal eventually. I am spoiled so I had to get the pedals.

Well, most people (I suppose most at least) who have a JS, have a twistable JS, which allows for rudder control. So KB-aileron control isnt required for most.

(And btw: if you're going to be a regular on the SB forums, you might just want to change that signature... When bombers start actively hunting fighters, something is wrong.)

Edited by FourGreenFields
medal medal

Sign in to follow this