ITHOFAR

How does one J7W1

Anybody know how to boost the J7W1s performance via manual engine controls?

Also does the engine controls boost differ/change for each game mode?

Any tips or ways to fly this? Write down here :salute: Edited by Goosewing

Goosewing (Posted )

Threads merged
medal

using web-browser tool the easiest way to find mixture that will work without much fuss is to fly at SL and at maximum speed in test flight, and keep lowering the mixture as far as you can until you see a drop in horsepower, use the lowest mixture possible without reducing horsepower/or causing RPM fluctuation... On many aircraft this is lean enough you can make it to like 8km without fiddling, but being J7W1 is such a extreme high altitude prop i may need to search for atleast 2 Mixture settings, 

ok brb

Edited by Ottobon
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I don't like to be negative but it's not a very good air superiority fighter. You should really only focus on bombers unless you have an alt advantage over a fighter. If someone gets on your tail dive, it can outdive pretty much all props bar the tempest mk2.
medal medal medal medal

I don't like to be negative but it's not a very good air superiority fighter. You should really only focus on bombers unless you have an alt advantage over a fighter. If someone gets on your tail dive, it can outdive pretty much all props bar the tempest mk2.

^ ^ ^ don't listen to him ^ ^ ^, hes illuminati  (1 of the 3 fastest props in the game, bad fighter, kek)

better to take the red pill

Not sure why we have two threads, i'll make relevant post for you usage and wonderment in your other more specific thread

Edited by Ottobon
  • Upvote 1

Important Stuff

35% mixture up till 10.1km, If you need to fly above that to chase B-29s or something use 25%.  25% can work quite low actually (like 4km) but it will cut your engine out at low altitudes so its best to use 35% most of the time unless specifically at high altitude just to avoid possible over-rev/power reduction/engine cut out.... No idea why the number is so low, apparently the Japanese put like 90 gigantic Supra Turbo injectors from GT500 racing (From the future obviously, via De Glocke Germans imported to them) in the engine so it uses very little mixture compared to its max hehe

Supercharger Gear change:

1st to 2nd: 4300 Meters (High Speed about 5000 meter(downshift))

2nd to 3rd: 7400 meters (high speed 8000 meter (downshift))

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes: This aircraft doesn't only maneuver poorly at low speed compared to its relatively great high speed abilities, but it makes 200-300+ Horsepower at any given medium-high altitude (2nd and 3rd gear) if your flying fast... The ram-air effect on this aircraft is huge, literally everything about the aircraft is willing you to go fast.  

For example at Sea Level it actually makes 2380hp at high speed, rather then the advertised 2130, this difference is even larger when flying at high speed and medium to high altitudes.  Also it makes over or very near 2000hp all the way up to like 8km or so, which is a rare feat. 

:good:

Also now that i started using 35% mixture engine doesn't seem to want to over-rev like crazy when changing gears or throttle position, which is fantastic.... It appears the problem was just that this J7W1 likes running very learn with current manual engine control setup, i would of never suspected that.

Finally closing the radiator causes a distinctly large effect on this planes speed and energy retention, i would say as large as on a R-2800 plane (F6F,F4U,P-47,F7F, F8F) or Yak (yes its actually a big deal on yaks with newer FMs), which are two of the most gimped planes if you don't use MEC, so hope this helps you prosper. 

Edited by Ottobon
  • Upvote 5

The J7W1 is a bit of a finicky bird compared to her contemporaries. While the Ki 84 may be perfectly willing to experiment in different types of fighting the J7W knows what she likes, speed and altitude.

One more time. 

SPEED

AND

ALTITUDE

She gets abusive if you don't follow her strict demands, and many men find her too much to handle. Just look at the long list of detractors she has. 

Point is you can't play the Shinden like you would any other Japanese plane. Think of it like a more exotic and harder hitting Focke Wulf. This is a fighter that boasts an amazing instantaneous turn time at high speed, and that's why the speed and altitude are so important, you want to place an absolute premium on that speed. At best, keep above 500 kmh and at worst, above 400. A slow Shinden is a snack for the Bearcats.

The engine you're sporting is the Mitsubishi Ha-43, a 2,130 horsepower monster that excels at the higher altitudes. Seeing as the J7W was born to intercept B-29s, you're right at home up there. In fact the only piston engined fighter that can outrun you up high altitude is the P-47M. However, air combat isn't a race and despite all the good qualities of the J7W you must know your limitations. Keep that speed high and never underestimate your enemies. 

The climb rate on the J7W is decent, but nothing world beating. Climb off to the side, I keep the speed above 300 kmh until I reach 4.5-5km. At that point I turn towards my friendlies and maintain a shallower climb where I gain both speed and altitude. When engaging a target it's boom and zoom time.

Now when attacking you could just do the run of the mill "dive in, if he evades, reclimb" that you normally see in War Thunder. Just remember though that good is the enemy of great, and while the Shinden may be good at that standard BnZ fare most players do, it's great at using the average player's ignorance as a weapon. Think, what do you hear when people ask about the J7W?

"Well, ithofar, it's **** and it can't turn. Pretty much only good for head on attacks." -average uneducated ignoramus

THAT is the average belief most players have about it. So when I say use their ignorance as a weapon, I mean surprise them. The high speed roll rate and instantaneous turn time is almost unheard of, because so many people use it as a turnfighter or a head on plane that they are unaware of what it truly can do. So in your booming and zooming, do NOT be afraid to experiment. Follow them through that split-S and see how easily you can keep your guns on them, it's often enough to get a killing blow. 

One of my favorite things to do is come in at a dangerously steep angle. Normally people will pull a hard turn to evade, and that works right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNKFKpO_Ye0

That may work against a diving Ki 84 or N1K that have a stiff rudder, elevator, or roll rate in a dive but it will NOT work on the Shinden. If you anticipate them pulling the incredibly 1337 "left turn/split-s/steep climb maneuver" it's almost laughably easy to roll into their turn and spray your hot load of 30mm all over them. I've said it like a billion times but this high speed maneuverability and capability of quickly adjusting is one of your best weapons. 

Just look at the quotes from happy pilots on the receiving end of a Shinden knockout blow

"WHEN THE HELL DID THEY BUFF THAT THING" -Rustled Spitfire pilot

"You xxxx xxxx" -Angry 3 man Bearcat squad that fell in a matter of minutes

By the way if you miss your shot? Don't worry about it. Your speed retention is good enough that you can easily break away from gun range and zoom climb back to altitude to set up another (preferably steep) diving attack. Just be sure not to break into a zoom climb immediately, keep things shallow till you're out of gun range first. 

Another factor that hasn't been mentioned is the godly dive limit of this aircraft. Your break up limit is 900 kmh. Higher than a Meteor and any piston engined fighter you'll face minus the P-47M. That's why I say it's okay to experiment in your BnZ passes. You have less of a chance of overcooking your dive and you can easily throttle down and roll to shed speed if your dive gets too scary. This dive speed is also a very effective weapon against jets and has earned my beloved Magnificent Lightning many P-80, Canberra, B-57, and Meteor pelts (it was an amazing carrier defense fighter when the jet bombers were 6.7). If a jet does manage to break away though, be sure to reclimb. As good as your speed retention may be it still isn't as good as a jet's.

For upgrades and ammo get the Tracer belts ASAP along with the engine. These two seriously improve your killing power and will make the rest of the modules less of a pain to get. 

In closing, this is the most extreme and possibly best example of a BnZ fighter ingame. You merge firepower, high speed control, dive limit, and sexiness all into one aircraft. You can play around with it enough that you aren't solely an up and down BnZ plane, like a Dora be sure to incorporate your roll rate into your fighting. Don't be afraid to make odd passes at enemies. 

The two main things I don't recommend doing are 

1.) Turn fighting. Just. Don't.

2.) Going head on. While it may be tempting to do remember that your elevator is the first thing that will go, and you kinda need that. The rudders on the wings also make big targets too, if either go down you're in big trouble. Head on as a last resort only. 

Oh yeah, it's good at bomber hunting too but I assume you know that. 

You don't dance with the Shinden, to compare it to fencing there's no parries, ripostes, or any fancy blade work. It's all about the thrust, the killing blow. 

Edited by Bobertman
  • Upvote 16
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Sticky Bob's guide. Sticky that shit with honey and butter.

Edited by garble
  • Upvote 4

Ah, nice, my engine always died at around 4000meters using mec, at first i tried overriding the autopitch and going for something like 85-90 pitch to avoid it, but it seems the secret always was the mixture, you learn something new everyday, time to spade that babe!

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

^ ^ ^ don't listen to him ^ ^ ^, hes illuminati (1 of the 3 fastest props in the game, bad fighter, kek)

better to take the red pill

Not sure why we have two threads, i'll make relevant post for you usage and wonderment in your other more specific thread

Well when I say it's a bad fighter I am mostly talking about its defensive flying capabilities and besides from diving I don't see how the j7w can defend itself when a fighter gets on its tail. I just find it hard to win a 1 on 1 with an enemy fighter at co altitude and if a fighter can't do this its a bad fighter in my book.
medal medal medal medal

Really mixture should be constantly adjusted (ever couple mins) while climbing.. 

Same as in real prop planes. 

Mixtures is adjusted throughout the whole flight to maintain best fuel burn rate to power output

Really mixture should be constantly adjusted (ever couple mins) while climbing.. 

Mixtures is adjusted throughout the whole flight to maintain best fuel burn rate to power output

That indeed is true, but unlike some other simulators-real life(if we can consider wt a sim game, when it is so enjoyable with mouse, and is played this way by 90% of the playerbase) mixture only makes a difference if you make the engine to choke at high alts due to it being too rich, also, on most planes running for example 60% rich at low alt doesn't make any difference to running 120%, with only exception i can remember being the p47, which gains a performance boost running appropriate mixtures per alt(you can go lean-rich in it, and i think fuel consumption depending on mix is modeled as well for it) in any case, in most cases and most planes you can leave the mixture at 60% and only have to lower it if you happen to climb above 6-7k meters

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Sshadow2015, on 24 May 2015 - 12:25 AM, said:

in like 1.43 mixtures were really important like you described on Yaks and I-185 from what i can tell, but for the time being they reverted it and all of the mixtures are fairly simplified

i understand the want for realism, but dont mind what it is when basic MEC already scares most individuals away from it, this keep more people interested in a key game element, but i would guess at some time MEC will become more advanced, i just hope they dont make it too fickle

, but my biggest concern with MEC is that reducing prop pitch can garner so much speed/energy at very high speed on a few key planes simply because its not realistic and sort of broken. the j7w1 doesn't have this issue but thought i would mention it

Edited by Ottobon
  • Upvote 1

At high speeds, J7W1 turns better than a Dora and it's 30mm have better velocity than Mg151 which means you don't need to lead as much.

But anyways 4 of the kills were head on lol
j6togo.jpg Edited by Laurelix

J7w1 excellent fighter if it doesnt meet with jets, but even if it does, there is still hope.

btw dont fear to headon,I really got lot of headons with it.

medal

With default belt cannon spark as hell. Modules are RP dumpsters.

But it's still sanic fast and fun to fly, sadly it's defenseless versus jets.
medal medal medal

lies, silly meteors and p80s are seals ready to be clubbed by my stock j7w1

medal

lies, silly meteors and p80s are seals ready to be clubbed by my stock j7w1

If they do something stupid sure, but if they got half of brain or more you won't be able to evade.

medal medal medal

get Tracers ASAP on any Japanese aircraft featuring the 30mm

don't even touch omni

If they do something stupid sure, but if they got half of brain or more you won't be able to evade.

it takes awhile to learn how to use roll properly nomatter what good rolling aircraft your talking about, but its probably one of the best defenses any plane can have and one of the most under-rated advantages as well

that said if your flying a stock J7W1 i do feel bad for ya, personally i GE'd the cannon ammo just so it could be useful for something instantly, i am a mild GE spamming whore like that.