Muleo

Historically Inaccurate Loadouts

333 posts in this topic

You're obviously much better at research than I am, so here's a few things I've come across (but can't give super-reliable sources for) for you to consider:

omg homework xD

I'll try, but when I was triyng to look for evidence of Beaufighter X having .30 cal MG instead of .50 cals I didn't have much luck

I already pointed this out in another thread: http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/20223-general-japanese-aircraft-topic/, but I guess it wouldn't hurt having it on that list either.

I don't have any primary sources lined up, but A6M3 Type 32 should have 100 rpg for the cannons as opposed to the 60 it has ingame. http://www.j-aircraft.com/research/zerofacts.htm

In fact, even Gaijin's own ingame description says so  :salute:

EDIT: Oh right, and both A6M2 models should have their cannon ammo count reduced to 60 rpg according to the same sheet.

The Zeroes are bad enough as it is, do we really need to nerf the ammo capacity of their weak cannons even more?  :kamikadze:

The FW190A5 in the game is the fighter bomber version as it can carry bombs, which only had 2 MG151 20mm cannon, so stating it should have 4 20mm cannon is wrong.  U8/U13 versions I think were fighter bombers with 2 20mm cannon.

The Zeroes are bad enough as it is, do we really need to nerf the ammo capacity of their weak cannons even more?  :kamikadze:

It's not about nerfing or buffing said units, its all about giving them their historical capabilities and specs. 

But they're not doing things totally historical.  They give the Yer-2 its overload bomb capacity instead of its historical normal mission load, for "balance".  So we can give the Zeroes more ammo for balance if the historical amounts would be too punishing and not fun to play.

You work on the FMs, then?  That's cool.  Do you happen to know if the performance of the Japanese Zeroes post-1.29 is working as intended, or bugged?  Because they feel really bad right now, and it makes me not want to play Japan any more besides the Ki-61's and the bombers.

PS only Beaufighter I am aware of with 4x 50cal was the Mk21, and when it did carry these they had to remove the long range tanks. Perhaps the MkX was a test bed for the later RAAF DAP versions, I'll see what I can chase on that for you, but that's how I always understood it.

Great, I could use all the help I can get. A lot of the original German documents are on avialog but I'm coming up dry on almost everything else :(

But they're not doing things totally historical.  They give the Yer-2 its overload bomb capacity instead of its historical normal mission load, for "balance".

If there's something wrong with the Yer-2 could you specify it here?

The FW190A5 in the game is the fighter bomber version as it can carry bombs, which only had 2 MG151 20mm cannon, so stating it should have 4 20mm cannon is wrong.  U8/U13 versions I think were fighter bombers with 2 20mm cannon.

Hm I hadn't considered that thanks

This thread seems filled with knowledgeable people, anyone here know the RE factor of Tannerite?

If there's something wrong with the Yer-2 could you specify it here?

The tier 12 Yer-2 can carry up to 5000 kg.  In real life, this was its overload, not a standard combat load.  Overload was usually not taken because of the extreme effect on performance, for example He-111 with overload needed rocket motor assistance to get airborne.  By comparison, other bombers besides Yer-2 get their standard load.  If the B-17 for instance were given its overload capacity in this game it would have almost 8000 kg.  On my phone right now and don't have sources (I'm sure WT flight model team has better sources than me anyway) but it's just common sense that a 2-engine medium bomber carrying more than any four-engine strategic bomber is perhaps not entirely realistic.

When Yer-2 players take the full bomb load, they do have trouble flying and taking off, so I'm not sure this is a problem from a historical accuracy POV

In that case, will other bombers be allowed to choose overload?

@Mule. 

Yer-2 has a weight of 10 tons ... So as able to bear the weight of 5 tons?

That's a strange way of looking at it, Lancaster weighs 17t but could carry 10t grand slam bombs *shrug*

It's the maps that are unrealistic, having strategic bombers take off to drop bombs on tanks 20km away, range should be limiting what bombers can carry but that's not the case in WT

(btw tons are imperial, tonnes are metric)

That's a strange way of looking at it, Lancaster weighs 17t but could carry 10t grand slam bombs *shrug*

It's the maps that are unrealistic, having strategic bombers take off to drop bombs on tanks 20km away, range should be limiting what bombers can carry but that's not the case in WT

(btw tons are imperial, tonnes are metric)

That's true. The Yer-2 benefits from this in that the plane was actually used in this way in very short range bombing missions needing very little fuel and running on diesel it could carry a huge amount of bombs for it's size.   God knows how much payload a B-17 or Lancaster could carry if it hadn't needed fuel to fly from England to Germany and then back again, I can imagine external bomb racks the whole length of the wings lol

Lancaster needs its maximum normal bombload of 14 1000lbs.  How can they say for balancing reasons a tier 12 bomber can hold 5000kg and a tier 16 cant hold 6360kg because its too much for balancing reasons.  The Lancaster cant even carry 1000lb bombs at the moment even though that's what its long unobstructed bomb bay was good for. 

Lancaster needs its maximum normal bombload of 14 1000lbs.  How can they say for balancing reasons a tier 12 bomber can hold 5000kg and a tier 16 cant hold 6360kg because its too much for balancing reasons.  The Lancaster cant even carry 1000lb bombs at the moment even though that's what its long unobstructed bomb bay was good for. 

I've already listed that under 'missing ordnance':

Lancaster is sorely missing it's bomb load, it could carry various types of bombs, main one's were around 14,000lb but ingame it gets a measly 14x 500lb load http://www.lancaster..._bomb_loads.htm

Should the Me410B-1/U2 have the 13mm MG131s like the B model before it?

I've noticed that one of the cockpit ammo counters in the Bf 109 G-10 reads "Mk 108" when it actually has an MG 151 cannon instead.  (And made a bug report about it.)  Should the G-10 really have the 30 mm, or is this just a labeling error?

Do 217 N-1 missing its 8 x SC/SD 50 bomb loadout:

217nb.jpg

217jl.jpg

He 111 H-6 missing its 2 x torpedo loadout:

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-L20414,_Torpedoang

14789192.jpg

Ju 87 D missing its Waffenbehalter 81 loadout:

179.jpg

Miscellaneous items
Ju 87 D-3, D-5 missing its dive siren:

14573252.jpg

10741573.jpg