Sign in to follow this  
*Maj_Fox

Simulating KB&M on the DS4

This is not a post about how to bind your DS4, please see other posts in the PS4 Forum section.

When I first started playing and reading posts in this forum it soon became clear that there were things the KB&M could do that I, with the DS4, could not.

I therefore set up a DS4 layout which would allow me to simulate the KB&M. The problem was I could never get it to work because of the “R1” bug so in the end I bought a KB&M.

Recently I learned that the “R1” bug could be overcome if you clear all settings first. Even though I’ll probably stay with KB&M I thought I’d share my thoughts on the DS4 set up in case anyone finds it useful.

Notes:-

L2 swaps with Down Pad: This to allow you activate view and look around with the R/Stick while still flying your plane with the L/Stick.

L2 becomes the “shift” button.

While using the independent surface control buttons, (symbol buttons & L1/R1), you should be able to look around using the L/Stick. This move the “Mouse Aim” circle and you should then fly in this direction when the button(s) is/are released. (You may need to adjust the sensitivity of the L/Stick).

R3 and Square swap so can zoom with the R/Stick.

DS4 Control                Default Action                       New Action                            Action With L2

L2                                 Tracking Camera -Enemy     Camera Control                      N/A

L1                                 Fire Rocket                             Left Rudder                             Fire Rocket

Touch Pad                  Ctrl (x-axis) + Ctrl (y-axis)     N/A                                           N/A

Touch Pad (Press)     Statistics                                  N/A                                          N/A

R2                                Fire MGs + Fire CNN             N/A                                           Fire CNN

R1                                Drop Bombs                           Right Rudder                          Drop Bombs

Share                           Share                                       N/A                                           N/A

Options                      Menu                                       N/A                                            N/A

D-Pad Up                   Toggle Gear                            N/A                                            N/A

D-Pad Left                 Toggle Airbrake                      N/A                                            N/A

D-Pad Right               Toggle Flaps                           N/A                                            N/A

D-Pad Down              Camera Control                     Tracking Camera - Enemy     N/A

L/Stick                        Ctrl (x-axis) + Ctrl (y-axis)     N/A                                            N/A

L3                                Radio Team                            N/A                                            N/A

R/Stick                       Roll Axis + Throttle Axis        N/A                                            N/A

R3                               Reload Guns                           Zoom Camera                          N/A

Triangle                     Toggle View                            Elevator (Nose Down)            Toggle View

Square                       Zoom Camera                         Left Roll                                    Reload Guns

Circle                         Tactical Map                            Right Roll                                  Tactical Map

X                                 Lock Target                              Elevator (Nose Up)                  Lock Target

Moves you can do.

Snap roll: Press X and Square/Circle with right thumb, easier than using R/Stick & L/Stick.

Break Right/Left & Up: Press X and L1/R1, this will pull the plane up and to the right/left. It will return to the original heading if held long enough.

Stall Turn: Climb and then reduce throttle, at stall warning press L1/R1 to rotate the plane left or right. When pointing down throttle back up.

Been able to use the rudder independently should improve your ability to energy fight.

Before you try any of this out please save your current set up just in case!

I was 80% happy with this set but could not get to 100% due to not been able to program the rudder. This I believe you can now do.

Good luck if you try the above and let me know how you get on. If it improves the game for just one player then it’s worth the effort to type it up. If not, that’s life.

Cheers JTF

Edit for layout.

Edited by JT_Fox
  • Upvote 2
medal

Hi jtf.
Had a good read of this post and I'm giving it a go.
Being SO used to the default DS4 settings it's awkward at times but there is real benefit to be had in many situations.
I started out by changing all the stuff you've recommended but it's too much and you get yourself in a pickle as you have to relearn lots of functions.
I've started by making 1 change at a time. So, make L2 the view button and down on d-pad as the track enemy button. Now play a few games and let it sink in.
Next start to change the x, square, circle and triangle buttons and let those sink in and so on......

You do lose the ability to fully track the enemy (when you would fully depress the L2 button and the mouse aim circle moves to enemy targeted) however and good pilot shouldn't really need this.
All in all this can help ps4 players become better at this game.
Good work and very helpful post sir!

Cheers
Donkey
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

@ *dentdonkey

Using the L2 as a shift button frees up the buttons to map addition actions like the independent surface controls which is the key.

If you find the "one step/change at a time" works well let me know and I can re-order the original post.

Good luck with it and thanks for trying.

Cheers

medal

I can't change. I really want to assign a good rudder configuration to help me in AB dogfights. But I'm in too deep. The default controls have become engrained into my mind after 7000 or so ab air battles. It's too late for me.

medal

I can't change. I really want to assign a good rudder configuration to help me in AB dogfights. But I'm in too deep. The default controls have become engrained into my mind after 7000 or so ab air battles. It's too late for me.

My thoughts exactly regarding mouse-aim controls hahah.  SO much muscle memory already built!

Definitely an interesting read JT_Fox, do you play RB Air at all?  If you do you'll have to let me know how the manual elevator/rudder controls are working out for you there.  I am thinking about possibly setting a Max-Elevator function to maybe L1 for the purposes of making smoother loops in the RB setting.  In AB it's not as much of an issue and in SB I do it fine manually using trim tabs there especially now.  I guess I'll have to try it out for myself in the meantime to see how good the manual-elevator setting works for RB.

medal medal

LOL. I know what you mean. One reason for the "shift button" approach was to keep as many actions in the same location e.g. Triangle is still Toggle View but with L2.

My thoughts exactly regarding mouse-aim controls hahah.  SO much muscle memory already built!

Definitely an interesting read JT_Fox, do you play RB Air at all?  If you do you'll have to let me know how the manual elevator/rudder controls are working out for you there.  I am thinking about possibly setting a Max-Elevator function to maybe L1 for the purposes of making smoother loops in the RB setting.  In AB it's not as much of an issue and in SB I do it fine manually using trim tabs there especially now.  I guess I'll have to try it out for myself in the meantime to see how good the manual-elevator setting works for RB.

I just started playing RB recently so it still needs testing. If I get the chance over the week end I'll report back here.

Cheers JTF

medal

I just wish I knew all these things when I was starting out, at least with you and Gates on the case the newer generation of PS4 warthunderers have access to far more knowledge on the game than I ever did.

If the newer generation can master these controls I see no reason why the best flyer in warthunder cant be a PS4 user using dualshock control.

Obviously in tanks they need to sort out ULQ and sniper view foliage before that is the case.

medal

I tryed my keyboard as a foot break for my tanks. It worked well space bar being break.

After a few million beers (im Irish ) i forgot it was there.

I now have 2 keyboards and a sore foot. :(

medal

Unfortunately the “Clear All” fix for the R1 button binding issue does not clear up all the issues with binding controls on the DS4. As a result I don’t think it’s possible to bind all the controls as listed above.

I was a bit premature in posting this thread. I should have fully tested the setup and not assumed all was now OK. Apologies to *dentdonkey and any other players who may have tried/wasted time on this setup.

On the plus side I have a much better understanding of the binding issues and believe I have a work around. I am about 80% happy with it in testing and will post the results when complete.

In addition I’ll record a demo of the ACMs you’ll be able to master with this set up. ACMs I believe you cannot do with the standard set up.

Cheers JTF

medal

The simplest solution I can work out for this is as follows.

From default.

Clear the L1 button and move fire rockets to R1 (This works for me as I don't have any planes that mount both rockets and bombs at the same time).

Assign min yaw to L1 (This will give you left rudder)

Clear all the symbol buttons and assign them back but with the down button (i.e. down + circle = map)

Set square and circle to roll left and right.

Set X and triangle to pitch up and down

Sample moves in video

https://youtu.be/3mcOnke47Cs

If the moves look useful then it would be worth improving the layout for target selection, zoom and full throttle when using symbol buttons.

Cheers

EDIT Not sure what's wrong with the link. Copy and paste into browser seems to work.

Edited by JT_Fox
medal

The classic defeatist personality. Most people are naturally resistant to change. I find it quite interesting how people will continue to do something in an inefficient and ineffective way just because it's what they are used to. They give excuses like "muscle memory" as to why they would be unable to change.

Man is incredibly adaptive. We can learn new read and write new languages. Learn to play new songs on our guitars with alittle practice. Even have the ability to memorize long speeches with alittle repetition and practice.

However, tell a gamer that his method of control could be better improved and all you will get is excuses and reason why it "can't" be done. When in truth, a new control scheme can be mastered and made to be feel like its second nature in as little as a few hours.

I'm not sure if gamers doubt the adaptive nature and intelligence that we all posses, or just have to much pride to suck at something for a few hours knowing that when you get used to it, they will be a better player because of it. It could just be laziness too I presume.

*App4that (Posted )

Do not,

1.1.2. Start or participate in flame wars, intentionally derail a topic, or post useless spam messages in moderated areas.

Defeatist, lol. 

Comfort is a main advantage for a controller, but you'll probably say you're so much more comfortable. 

Anyway, before you try and turn this into a Mouse and keyboard vs DS4 and if you don't use a keyboard you're a loser, just don't.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

-snip-

Glad to see you're back trolling once again.  It's not a "defeatist," "laziness," or "pride," or "lack of intelligence" issue on my part.  It's called personal preference.  This thread is about optimizing DS4 controls, for those who like using the DS4.  If you're here to talk about how godly the mouse and keyboard is over DS4, please go start your own thread and promote flame wars somewhere else so you can go on vacation again.

TL:DR - Stay on topic, and refrain from personal attack claims against DS4 players.

Edited by *GateNomes
medal medal

Even though I’ll probably stay with KB&M I thought I’d share my thoughts on the DS4 set up in case anyone finds it useful.

It seems to me that the R1 bug was the best thing that could ever of happened to this guy. Playing now with a mouse and keyboard exclusively. It's to bad he went to all this effort to map out an excellent control sceme for the Ds4 just to find out M+KB was the best solution all along. Edited by *OnYourKillList

It seems to me that the R1 bug was the best thing that could ever of happened to this guy. Playing now with a mouse and keyboard exclusively. It's to bad he went to all this effort to map out an excellent control sceme for the Ds4 just to find out M+KB was the best solution all along.

We've heard you a million times on here, and the DS4 users here literally don't care how much you love the mouse/keyboard.  So stop worshipping it in threads that aren't talking about it (make your own thread if you must continue talking about how godly a mouse/keyboard is...).

I don't understand why you make it your goal in life to continue trying to troll DS4 threads... you're not even good at it.  We prefer the DS4, not a mouse/keyboard, so threads like this are meant to help out those who prefer to play using the DS4.  Again, you're posting useless comments not related to thread topics.  Learn to forum, or get outa here...

• Upvote 1
medal medal

Just an FYI, if you look in my previous post you can see where he was talking about it. Just responding to what the OP had to say about his experience with the M+KB. Why are you so angry about a simple comment that had nothing to do with you and wasn't even directed at you? Why are you resorting to yelling on the forums? It's not very becoming.

Goosewing (Posted )

Your opinion about M/KB has been acknowledged. However, this topic is for sharing settings amongst DS4 users. Your effort to begin a meaningless competition is not appreciated.

Final warning. Leave the lobbying out of the topic, or your next violation will devoice you once again.

Sign in to follow this