Gunjob

Seafire FR.47

There are also tools you can use that gather engine performance in game and you can see game files as well. People have done it and used it to point out the lack of horsepower.

wont do anything if they claim its correct according to their secret documents though

Even FR47's description in game lists it as having the Griffon 88 running at 2350HP... :(!

That was me! 

Here's a +1 because it's nice to know that somebody actually reads that stuff.

If you do want to submit an error report, my source for that data was 'The Seafire' by David Brown, which is about as accurate a source as they come. 

• Upvote 10
medal medal medal medal medal

That was me! 

Here's a +1 because it's nice to know that somebody actually reads that stuff.

If you do want to submit an error report, my source for that data was 'The Seafire' by David Brown, which is about as accurate a source as they come. 

The description is solid, the issue here is after further digging the FR 47 is running the Griffon 61 Engine instead of the 87/88.

The data sheets provided for the Seafire by Gaijin closely relate to the Griffon 61 and not the 87/88

With the 150 octane removed unfortunately we find that our Seafire FR 47 is actually a watered down Spitfire Mk 21.

medal medal

Has anybody submitted a bug report to the team?

I messaged smin1080p and he said

"If you believe an FM is incorrect, we would need the historical performance data information that shows specifically whats wrong/under performing.

As a minimum, we need 2 or more valid and agreeing sources. However the more the better."

medal medal

there is good news though. i took the second seafire out and put it in a terminal dive from 4km, it was going 950kph when i hit ground and the wings hadnt snapped so who knows what its max dive is

medal medal

So I emailed the FAA museum and they got back to me with a copy of the only pilots notes they have. Only lists 18lbs of boost from 100/130 octane. Fr.47 may have never operated running 150 octane despite the griffon 88 being cleared for 150 use. Seems like it's totally up to the Devs if they want to run it at 25lbs.
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Well i have been flying it a bit now and I simply changed my tactics from other Spitfires. I fly it more like a Mustang, slowly climbing while keeping speed high. Unlike a Mustang though, once you get into a dogfight and the speeds of you and your opponent decrease, you can still turn very well, especially thanks to combat flaps. So it's a nice all round plane. Just doesn't excel in any one area, which is alright.

medal medal medal medal medal

Well i have been flying it a bit now and I simply changed my tactics from other Spitfires. I fly it more like a Mustang, slowly climbing while keeping speed high. Unlike a Mustang though, once you get into a dogfight and the speeds of you and your opponent decrease, you can still turn very well, especially thanks to combat flaps. So it's a nice all round plane. Just doesn't excel in any one area, which is alright.

It doesn't turn well at all though.

Yeah it's pretty dire this aircraft, turns like arse. I'm sorry I don't believe for a second this is its actual turning ability. 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Well, yesterday I met a P-51D that was able to turn with me.

Was out run and out turned by a Raiden today. I was quite sad.

Well, yesterday I met a P-51D that was able to turn with me.

Seeing as you're flying the SF 47 in RB and you don't have it spaded. A scenario where a spaded P-51D is matching or out-turning you isn't "unrealistic."

Was out run and out turned by a Raiden today. I was quite sad.

Yours doesn't appear spaded either.

Have you tried facing a spaded Raiden or spaded P-51D in a stock Griffon Spit? Same result. The SF 47 is hardly a unique case. 
Edited by NotPinkiePie
medal medal

Yep, I've unlocked only the fuselage repair. Stock is so sad.

Sadly this happens every time a new plane is released. People complain about their stock planes being unable to outperform spaded planes that have already been in the game for a long time. Well.... of bloody course its going to be outperformed. It's a stock plane. Same thing goes for a stock Bf109G-2/trop being absolutely thrashed by a spaded Bf109E-3.

We need to get out of this habit. Let's compare stock to stock and spade to spade. It's the only way you'll get a legitimate case for tweaking an FM.

IMO, the SF 47 still needs tweaking. i'll leave that for the historical doc buffs, but it's hardly the piece of poop that people are making it out to be in this thread. Has everyone forgotten the grind of the original Griffon Spits? Has it been that long?

Also tip. Don't unlock sequentially. Go for the mods that give you the greatest benefit then go back for the more inconsequential ones. Make the following the priorities: Radiator ---> Compressor----> Engine ----> Engine Injection. I forgot which ones require 2 unlocks to get to the next tier of unlocks. I believe I went Radiator----> Fuselage----> Compressor----> Engine --- Wing Repair ----> Engine Injection ----> Cover----> Airframe----> Ammo---> Cannons----> Bombs and Rockets

Edited by NotPinkiePie
medal medal

Majority of mine is upgraded actually. The turning circle is too brick like really. I'll just call it the Brickfire, it flies downwards spinning at high speed but that's all it will do ;).

Btw i've played the game long enough (level 100 as well) and that's exactly what I do when researching the modules. 

You have to remember the original Griffon spits upon release were literally like flying a Kettle. "Ohhh this is fast on take off. Oh look i'm at 1500 meters. Oh no, my engine is same temperature as the surface of the sun". Originally the Griffon spits were awesome if you wanted a quick cup of tea, but yeah they were quite painful especially the 22 and 24 from my memory. However I still remember their turn radius still being less brick quality.

upgrading the fr47 with stock ammo and cannon is a feat in itself. i was 300m behind a p51 turning into him and firring as he turned into my guns and i used all my ammo just to crit him enough to bring him down must have been easily 1/4-1/3 hits due to closeness and ease of sitting behind a slow low p51

medal medal

Majority of mine is upgraded actually. The turning circle is too brick like really. I'll just call it the Brickfire, it flies downwards spinning at high speed but that's all it will do ;).

Btw i've played the game long enough (level 100 as well) and that's exactly what I do when researching the modules. 

You have to remember the original Griffon spits upon release were literally like flying a Kettle. "Ohhh this is fast on take off. Oh look i'm at 1500 meters. Oh no, my engine is same temperature as the surface of the sun". Originally the Griffon spits were awesome if you wanted a quick cup of tea, but yeah they were quite painful especially the 22 and 24 from my memory. However I still remember their turn radius still being less brick quality.

11k RP? If memory serves me correct, you should have at least one tier III mod unlock. (My apologies, I don't remember the exact RP requirements.)

Like almost all planes, it's the Engine Injection mod that provides that real benefit, especially if you like playing at high alt. Having said that, I will agree that even comparing spade to spade, the 22 and 24 turn better at high alt than the 47. Not sure how close to historically accurate that is. But for me, it's something that warrants a "tweak.." I wouldn't go so far as to say is a brick.

upgrading the fr47 with stock ammo and cannon is a feat in itself. i was 300m behind a p51 turning into him and firring as he turned into my guns and i used all my ammo just to crit him enough to bring him down must have been easily 1/4-1/3 hits due to closeness and ease of sitting behind a slow low p51

I didn't bother upgrading stock ammo right away. Ammo was one of the very last upgrades I unlocked, and I've done perfectly fine. I rather have the alt advantage first and foremost. The default ammo mix of HEF/HEF/P/T is fine for me. Upgrading the quad 7.7mm on the Seafire XVII, on the other hand, was a priority. The default ammo belt on that thing is rather piddly.

Edited by NotPinkiePie
medal medal

11k RP? If memory serves me correct, you should have at least one tier III mod unlock. (My apologies, I don't remember the exact RP requirements.)

Like almost all planes, it's the Engine Injection mod that provides that real benefit, especially if you like playing at high alt. Having said that, I will agree that even comparing spade to spade, the 22 and 24 turn better at high alt than the 47. Not sure how close to historically accurate that is. But for me, it's something that warrants a "tweak.." I wouldn't go so far as to say is a brick.

I grabbed 2 modules with a small amount of gold I had left over :P

In terms of reality it is a lot heavier but does have increase control surfaces to help with turning, however as far as I remember the Sea Fury could out turn it. So yeah it's not the best turner however it shouldn't be quite like this in turning ability. But we all know it's missing engine power.

I grabbed 2 modules with a small amount of gold I had left over :P

In terms of reality it is a lot heavier but does have increase control surfaces to help with turning, however as far as I remember the Sea Fury could out turn it. So yeah it's not the best turner however it shouldn't be quite like this in turning ability. But we all know it's missing engine power.

My personal inclination is to believe that as well. But again, it still can hold it's own in its current incarnation.

Only time will time in future patches. If there's something missing I have no doubt the historical doc buffs will dig it up. If it's to be implemented..... or rejected.... due to balance issues, whose to say? (*shrug*) 

medal medal

Hopefully it will be resolved because at its current incarnation i'm not 100% sure it quite deserves a 6.0, however if they fix it up i'm sure it will be worthy of a 6.0 or possibly 6.3. Have to see how it goes.

what i dont get is people saying its running peace time settings and gaijin seem to also believe this but wasnt it in korea? you would think they would be running full boost on planes they know they are gonna be dumping over the side very soon because of the jet age

medal medal