Japan has their A6M2 float plane - We have the Spitfire float plane

ThatGuysProject

Yes that's right after doing some research on the spitfire i found this neatly tucked away

Spitfire_VB_Floatplane_W3760.jpg

So i'm sure this would be a fun thing to have in the game and it would be nice to see how this would fly however the information is very limited on this so that's unfortunate however I do know it is a MK IX  and that is all, now if this is a genuine WW2 design i do not know but it is highly likely as it is a MK IX and they started to develop jets which would of made this a useless design but i just wish i knew more about it, do any of you know anything?

• Upvote 14
medal medal medal

1+

I can tell you that it was a conversion done in 1943 of a Mk IX, there was also a conversion of a Mk Vb in 1942.

There is a section of a Wikipedia page on them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Spitfire_%28late_Merlin-powered_variants%29#Spitfire_Floatplanes_.28types_355_.26_359.29

Here is says 5 aircraft were converted, 1xMk 1, 1xMK Vb, 2xMK V, 1xMk IXb.

Edited by Bigglesmay
  • Upvote 3
medal medal medal

I have a love for float planes and flying boats, but unlike the A6M2-N these were just put together to, test the waters, so to speak ( no pun intended) so I dont see the merit in including them in the actual tree. However, it would make for an interesting permium, especially since according to the wiki article, it seems that they were opperational at some point despite no mention of actual combat.

• Upvote 2
medal

it would be interesting to have this in pacific battles with no airfields for spitfires to land however the new Fleet Air Arm line may change that if only they go up against the japs and the MM does not permit the land aircraft line to fight in the pacific.

medal medal medal

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

What purpose would this plane serve that a Spit or Seafire can't already do better?

medal medal medal medal medal

24 minutes ago, Warpig_ said:

What purpose would this plane serve that a Spit or Seafire can't already do better?

Nothing really. But does brittain really need anything atm? Well besides a top tier bomber and attacker i can t really think of anything. This thing wouldnt really fill a spot other than being a nice derp plane to fly.

• 2 months later...

Yeah, these should be implemented, theres most likely some float hurricanes around as well given, well, they used to throw the things off catapults on the decks of merchant ships for convoy defence and that I imagine, as with the pictures given above of EXACTLY that, is the whole reason for the float variants.

medal medal medal

12 minutes ago, Ouroboros85 said:

Yeah, these should be implemented, theres most likely some float hurricanes around as well given, well, they used to throw the things off catapults on the decks of merchant ships for convoy defence and that I imagine, as with the pictures given above of EXACTLY that, is the whole reason for the float variants.

no float hurricanes, but they did launch them off of merchant ships with rocket catapults :D

e5r6ep.jpg

medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 21/10/2016 at 11:38 AM, Ouroboros85 said:

The Hurricanes they used on Merchant ships were just standard Hurricane mk 1s with some modifications to be sea launched, when they were finished with they got ditched into the water since they couldn't land at sea, as janderson01 mentioned above, none were floats.

Supermarine trying it with Spitfires isn't surprising considering they use to make floatplanes prior to the Spitfire, so already knowing how to make them, making Spitfire floats wouldn't of been as much of an issue, however of limited success, only three marks of Spitfire floats were tested, mk 1s, 5Bs and 9Bs according to the book: Supermarine Aircraft since 1914

medal medal medal medal

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

late to the party here, sorry. That last picture of the spitfires looks awfully like a griffon engined one. But I see it as not really needed. I mean, more drag, more weight, slower and less manoeuvrable than a normal spitfire..........

medal

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 21/10/2016 at 21:21, janderson01 said:

no float hurricanes, but they did launch them off of merchant ships with rocket catapults :D

e5r6ep.jpg

There was 1 Hurricane float built. It was done alongside the Spitfire Mk.I conversion with Roc floats IIRC, in an effort to build float planes to operate in and around the Fjords in Norway. But then Norway surrendered, the project was scrapped and both planes converted back to normal. Not sure if they ever actually flew, but they did do water trials with them.

Edit: Ah crap, just realised that was a quote for 2 years ago. Oh well, the information is still relevant.

Edited by MILESPARVUS
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 1 month later...