loxai

Virtual Reality battles using Cardboard and Trinus VR. Try it!

As a recent War Thunder pilot, I must say I'm really enjoying it. Arcade mode is a great quick hands on flying deathmatch. But I also like all the research and tuning options you can play with. I think the whole system is quite well designed and keeps you on that 'just one more game' state.

That said I wanted to mention this app I am currently developing called Trinus VR (previously known as Trinus Gyre). To be brief, it is basically a low cost alternative to the Oculus Rift, using your own phone. The best part is that is readily available for download, so you can start playing with it today.

All you need is an Android smartphone, Google Cardboard (or similar headmount) and the Trinus VR server and client. If you don't have a headmount you can still check out the app and decide if you want to go ahead and buy one (Cardboard is less than 10$, although you can buy a better headmount for just a bit more).

Here's some detailed info on how to configure War Thunder for VR: http://trinusvr.com/games/war-thunder

You will also find the download links there.

I think Trinus VR works great not only as an immersion experience but also to better track your targets from the cockpit. So give it a shot and let me know what you think!

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

seems like a great idea!  I only have a relatively small Ipod atm, and a dumbphone (should be smart, but really slow and limited app store),  but I should get a newer better phone soon and when I do I'll check this out!

medal medal medal medal

Keep in mind you will need an Android with gyroscope sensor, and at least 720p screen. It does work on lower resolutions, but I think it will be hard to pick a target (unless you keep zooming), and considering the cpu will probably also be on the low end, frame rate won't be great.

I plan to release an iOS version too, but the focus is on Android atm.

I have LG G2 that I have used as head tracker. Yesterday I saw OP link and installed the server sw and the app (the free version to test this).

The installation is easy. Just install the server sw and app. Launch server on your PC and it will tell you what to do. Before launching, change the WT to be shown in Windowed mode and the resolution to 4:3 aspect ratio. I use 1024/768.

The tracking seems to work well, though I need to fine tune the settings to get it smoother. Also I have problem with the lag, as I am using the wifi. To get the USB tethering to work the phone needs to be rooted and I am afraid to root my phone as there is some work related programs that might not work after rooting. Still need to try some settings and additional apps in phone to keep the wifi in best performance.

Works quite easily. Hard to say how it looks like with the head mount as I don't have one yet. I just ordered a head mount from far away country so it takes few weeks until I can try it better.

Hello,

Please note I did not yet try this with head mount so I cannot judge how this works with them.

Pros:

- Easy to install and setup

- Built in head tracking. Or you can use any other head tracking with it if you want, e.g. something like Opentrack.

- USB connectivity. I did not see any lag with this setup.

- Wifi connectivity if you want to have wireless.

- Works with any game, no need any support from game for VR, only for head tracking.

Cons:

- If you feel that 5.57 euros is too much of the app then it is a con. I think it is reasonable price as this seems to be brilliant sw. Anyway you can first try the free version and decide.

- With wifi you need to have really good setup. I could not get reliable and fast connection. Lag was seconds. (But with USB connection it is very good!)

- Still need to fine tune the head tracking as I did not find the setup that would work smoothly with me.

Summary:

TrinusVR was easy to install. Even the USB tethering was no-brainer as it does not require any rooting. The SW is easy to use. You do not need any special tinkering in your PC or in phone. And what I like is that you can use this with all the games and software as TrinusVR streams the active window to to your phone ready to be shown with the Google Cardboard or such head mount.

Trying this is easy and free, even without the head mount. So why not. Here is short setup flow. The instructions in the server SW are really good.

1. Install the TrinusVR server SW on your PC

2. Install the TrinusVR app from Google Play (I used the free version as I don't have head mount yet to test whether it is good)

3. Set War Thunder to launch in Windowed mode 1024x768 (lowest resolution just to see it works)

4. If you use the USB tethering, set it up in phone and turn off the data traffic or follow help in server SW

5. If you use Wifi just make sure your phone is in same network as your PC

6. Launch TrinusVR server SW and choose Wifi/USB. Press start.

7. Launch the phone app and check settings. Press start.

8. Then launch War Thunder and try whether it works

I will update here after I get the head mount.

Edited by iSteel
  • Upvote 1

Thanks loxai/isteel

For warthunder:

I tried those instructions using trinus and it does work, but I had set tracking option on the trinus server to mouse. Is it better to set the tracking (on the trinus server) to "trackIR" (or something else) instead? and if so do I have to somehow set to trackIR in warthunder settings too?

Do I need to install trackIR software?

thanks

Edited by vracan
medal

@vrakan:

You want to enable "Freetrack Alt." in TrinusVR server before launching game. At least that works for me for head tracking.

Okay now I have my head mount tested shortly. Some test results which of most might be because me not understanding the settings:

- I use USB connection as with wifi I get enormous lag.

- I used 1024x768 resolution

- For some reason I lost the head tracking while changing the server settings. Would be nice to have reset to defaults button as I have no idea how to get it back. Not even restarting game and server helped. 

- Centering view to the crosshair did not work for me. My default view was about 3 o'clock so if I wanted to look forward I needed to look left. I would like to have some help with this as I have no idea how to set my view towards the front.

- I cannot read the text in the screen. However this might be problem with my eyes. Have to mod +1 reading glasses inside the mount.

- The sky and object seem a little blurry. I could not see the cars in the training field while trying to kill them (might be the fact I need reading glasses)

- The head tracking is a little jumpy. If I turn my head the view jumps in small increments rather than turns smoothly.

Flying certainly feels much better in VR. If I could set the picture quality a little better and get smooth head tracking this would be my preferred flight mode. At least before Oculus Rift customer version or similar.

Edit:

This is the head mount I bought http://www.ebay.com/itm/361158143671

If I would buy new one, I would buy one with adjustable depth for phone i.e. distance from the lenses. Maybe also one that could fit eyeglasses inside.

Edited by iSteel

Thanks isteel

Do I need to set anything in warthunder like  "head tracking rotation" or "trackIR" etc?? Do I need other sw installed for freetrack??

Right now I am using "auto"(which is automatically setting to mouse mode) and it does work well as far as I can tell, but not sure if it is best way to go.

Edited by vracan
medal

@vracan: I did not need to set anything on WT. Just launch Trinusvr server and client before you launch the game. 

OP, Ioxai approached me with PM as he cannot write to forums for being away his tips to my problems are inside the spoiler.

[spoiler]

I was just trying to post on the thread, but I haven't been active on the game and it is not allowing me (I'd like to play, but have to work!).

Maybe you can post my response below?

Hi guys,

Sorry I haven't been around to reply your questions. Here's some tips and comments:

- Set tracking mode to TrackIR (mouse mode is less accurate)

- Remember to start the Trinus connection before the game, to ensure TrackIR is detected

- 4 is used to reset the view. I tested that again today, on first run it was recentering a few degrees to the left, but it was fine when I tried again. Have to check if there is some bug there, but if that happens to you you can 'artificially' look to the side, offsetting the error so that it is centered when you look at 12o'clock

- I'm getting about 30 to 40 fps on high quality, at 1024x768, with either Wifi or USB (meaning the slower part is not the delivery, but possibly the capture). I'd assume latency is still lower via USB. This is on an i7 gaming laptop, to Galaxy S5

- If using Wifi, make sure the PC connects via ethernet. If it is using the Wifi (eg. to connect to the internet) it can get extra slow

- Dead zone is a recent option that can help minimize the impact of drift, but it loses precision (e.g. slight jumps). But head tracking should be smooth if disabled (as long as the phone has gyroscope)

- About head mounts: I am not sure chinese/plastic models have improved much since the models I tested but, in general, I'd recommend higher quality mounts for a more immersive experience (eg. Homido, VROne, etc.). You can wear glasses with the VR One, and the Homido have lens rings with different thickness to accommodate different vision bugs

Stay tuned for updates, be kind with reviews and use code 'moretrinus' on the Lite version to get a few extra days of full access!

And I think that's all for now :)

Oh, I had the chance to play the new Battlefront last week at gamescom. I really liked it! The gameplay is similar to War Thunder, but you get to chase that rebel scum with your Tie Fighter (or well, attack the Empire, if that's what you are into ;) )

[/spoiler]

As a recent War Thunder pilot, I must say I'm really enjoying it. Arcade mode is a great quick hands on flying deathmatch. But I also like all the research and tuning options you can play with. I think the whole system is quite well designed and keeps you on that 'just one more game' state.

That said I wanted to mention this app I am currently developing called Trinus VR (previously known as Trinus Gyre). To be brief, it is basically a low cost alternative to the Oculus Rift, using your own phone. The best part is that is readily available for download, so you can start playing with it today.

All you need is an Android smartphone, Google Cardboard (or similar headmount) and the Trinus VR server and client. If you don't have a headmount you can still check out the app and decide if you want to go ahead and buy one (Cardboard is less than 10$, although you can buy a better headmount for just a bit more).

Here's some detailed info on how to configure War Thunder for VR: http://trinusvr.com/games/war-thunder

You will also find the download links there.

I think Trinus VR works great not only as an immersion experience but also to better track your targets from the cockpit. So give it a shot and let me know what you think!

Cheers

Hello. 

You link (http://trinusvr.com/games/war-thunder) doesn't work anymore. Could you please provide another link or any info how to configure war thunder for Trinius Gyre?

medal medal medal medal

Hello. 

You link (http://trinusvr.com/games/war-thunder) doesn't work anymore. Could you please provide another link or any info how to configure war thunder for Trinius Gyre?

http://trinusvr.com/forum/ -------> http://oddsheepgames.com/?page_id=208--->http://oddsheepgames.com/?forum=games-2

I guess till the site is reworked You have to go there

medal medal medal medal medal

I'm trying all my best to have it working, but so far i can get a decent video from trinus but no tracking at all..I'm tryng TrackIR and TrackIR fix.. Is there anything hidden here or there I should try?

I'm trying all my best to have it working, but so far i can get a decent video from trinus but no tracking at all..I'm tryng TrackIR and TrackIR fix.. Is there anything hidden here or there I should try?

I dont use trackir, you can have the phone emulate mouse look which considering the trackir that your phone will provide is not a full 5 point system you are just as well to use mouse look and bind keys to shift your head up or down or to the left or right.

which I'll add if you dont feel like using it as a VR headset you can strap the phone to the top of your headset and use it as a trackir/mouselook system instead using tinusvr (which is what I do mostly)

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I dont use trackir, you can have the phone emulate mouse look which considering the trackir that your phone will provide is not a full 5 point system you are just as well to use mouse look and bind keys to shift your head up or down or to the left or right.

which I'll add if you dont feel like using it as a VR headset you can strap the phone to the top of your headset and use it as a trackir/mouselook system instead using tinusvr (which is what I do mostly)

Firstly I use mouse and keyboard as controllers, so i guess mouse look wouldn't be great for me, secondly it gets me so upset that i can't get the tracking from my smartphone's gyro... grrrr

Edited by difetto

Topic stopped at 2016 February but I recently got into Trinus VR and bought the full version since while testing the lite version it really worked so cool. I don't know if very much thing had changed since that day but I can say that Steam VR support exists in today's version. War Thunder is supporting Oculus Rift so maybe there is a chance that we can combine Steam VR support with WT's VR support together. I had uninstalled WT like 6 months or 1 year ago i cannot remember exactly. There were serious reasons and i wouldn't think to come back but i think i will give it another try with Trinus. I tried Trinus VR with Steam VR support on DCS and it was fantastic! DCS has nearly no content for free play (just some tutorials for SU-xx and FT-51D and a couple of missions with SU-xx which i don't like to fly). So i will let you know if it will work with SteamVR support with WT or not. Hope it will work and i will come back for some awesome flying. Besides, civil flying is not for me. Yes hard simulations make me very happy but combats makes me much more happy and i don't really have 30 dollars for every plane sold on DCS. See you on the skies guys.

medal medal