Don't sure, if this belongs to this thread.

There is first Tank Ace of the Month on RU site.

In my opinion, tank aces could have a thread of their own, but that's up to wafu to decide. :yes:

One of the other Historical group guys is working on a monthly tank feature as we speak! So if your Hungarian tanker was part of a crew on one of the vehicles featured in GF then there's a very good chance he could be featured. I'll post a link as soon as something is up and running for tank suggestions.

Don't sure, if this belongs to this thread.

There is first Tank Ace of the Month on RU site.

In my opinion, tank aces could have a thread of their own, but that's up to wafu to decide. :yes:

I asked this Tank Ace of the Month thing from wafu a while ago, the answer is above.

medal medal medal medal

Hello guys,

It's been a week or two since checking here, so sorry about the delays.

- Thank you for the flurry of German suggestions to the series. I've approved all four:

W Krupinski

J Priller

E Lang

J Steinhoff 

As far as I can tell, none of them are treading on risky ground but if anybody knows of any reason why these might be potentially controversial choices, please feel free to post!

- I saw an early render of the Gladych P47. Nothing I can post yet, but it looks fantastic!

- You've all no doubt already seen Listy's tank feature which is now up and running. If you have suggestions or ideas for him, I'm sure he'd love to hear from you. Hands are a little tied to start with as there are only so many vehicles in War Thunder with the introductory two Tech Trees, but the scope for more tankers will increase as more vehicles are released. Here's a link to Listy's thread:

http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/167504-ace-tankers-the-thread/

- Features you'll soon see: next two months main features are Soviet Union and then Great Britain. In and around that, you'll see smaller features on a British, Soviet and American aces. And, of course, the great Hans-Joachim Marseille. Two of these smaller features have decals all ready to go, the other two are in the works.

Many thanks!

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal

- I saw an early render of the Gladych P47. Nothing I can post yet, but it looks fantastic!

Great looking forward for it ^_^

medal

Hello guys,
     It's been a week or two since checking here, so sorry about the delays.

- Thank you for the flurry of German suggestions to the series. I've approved all four:

W Krupinski
J Priller
E Lang
J Steinhoff 

As far as I can tell, none of them are treading on risky ground but if anybody knows of any reason why these might be potentially controversial choices, please feel free to post!

- You've all no doubt already seen Listy's tank feature which is now up and running. If you have suggestions or ideas for him, I'm sure he'd love to hear from you. Hands are a little tied to start with as there are only so many vehicles in War Thunder with the introductory two Tech Trees, but the scope for more tankers will increase as more vehicles are released. Here's a link to Listy's thread:
http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/167504-ace-tankers-the-thread/

- Features you'll soon see: next two months main features are Soviet Union and then Great Britain. In and around that, you'll see smaller features on a British, Soviet and American aces. And, of course, the great Hans-Joachim Marseille. Two of these smaller features have decals all ready to go, the other two are in the works.

Many thanks!

Looking forward to the Soviet, British features and Marseille.
Btw an news on Rall's G-6 skin?
medal medal medal medal

I wonder if could we put this person as a ground attacker. Well, is hard to find a Korean pilot (with Korean plane), and this seems to be interesting story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jVPvU1PmlM

Article:

"BOUT ONE:" BUILDING A SOUTH KOREAN AIR FORCE

Wiki article :)

Dean E. Hess

67 mission in P-47 during war and 250 in Korea

Plane

Aircraft~$2318_e.jpg

The most famous Korean Mustang, ship #18, flown by Col. Dean Hess. Formerly USAF serial 44-74692, it was assigned to the "Bout One" project on 8th October 1950 - the writing below the canopy reads "Last Chance" - "By Faith I Fly" was written on the port side. Before being transferred to the Korean War Zone, this a/c had served with the 182nd FIS, TX ANG

From this

More photos of his planes:

link

If preliminary accepted I will dig more if needed  and fill official form 

Form

Ace: Dean E. Hess

Nationality: American

Service: USAF, ROKAF

Aircraft: P-51 Mustang

Variant: P-51D-30NA

Serial Number: 44-74692

Time Frame: 1950-1953

Approved by Biographer:

He wrote book Battle Hymn and movie based on it was made.

Although he made 250 combat mission in Korea on P-51 (probably mostly  ground attack) he is rather known form other things, like helping to create South Korean Air Force. So far seems to be impossible to find Korean pilot which could be presented in game, because there is no regular Ace or there are problems with biographies.

Apart this he is famous for Kiddy Car Airlift, evacuation of orphans, but there is controversy about it:Link

About planes

One is that proposed in form and picture above:

In game we have P-51D-30, but I see it lacks antennas, looks like those were removed.

Other plane is this one (I think it's better)

Print%20GM-213%20-%20Korea,%20P-51D-30-N

Source: link

8561362688_63f8d6da2f_c.jpg

So

- looks line a only chance for ROKAF plane

- could make interesting article, also about important part of ROKAF history.

- Mustang P-51D-30 have one skin in game, also because limited service in WWII Aces skin will go mostly for D-5 and D-20. Looks like a good chance for D-30 for gaining skin.

Edited by Botan
medal

Hello chaps,

- Last I heard on the Rall skin was all good, but I haven't seen any preliminary renders yet.

- Korean War ground attack ace? Definitely sounds interesting!

- Korean War ground attack ace? Definitely sounds interesting!

I updated previous post with him.

"Ground attack" is sort of way to put him, unfortunately I don't have his autobiography. 

Edited by Botan
medal

how' bout Oberst Dr. Ernst Kühl?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_K%C3%BChl

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_K%C3%BChl_%28Pilot%29

Stumbled over his name in a Book titled "Das waren die deutschen Kampfflieger Asse 1939 -1945" "Those were the german bomber (i think it are those) aces"

Plane: He 111

awards

Edited by RohmMohc
medal medal medal medal

- Hess' Kiddy Car Airlift saga does seem rather controversial. I think if it was written in such a way as to highlight this, we wouldn't be doing a discredit to anybody's opinion. Certainly, from those who defend him, it would appear that he never personally took any credit from others with a greater involvement.

Oberst Dr. Ernst Kühl sounds like a fantastic idea, but I'm afraid we'd need more to go on. Without details of an aircraft he flew for a skin and a lot more to go on for a biography, I'm afraid it wouldn't be possible. I can't find any reference to him in my library or after an internet trawl: if anybody else manages to find anything please let me know!

i've found a biography

http://www.desertwar.net/ernst-kuhl.html

it seems to ba a google translated version of the Wikipedia Article...

well in the book mentioned by me

http://www.amazon.de/Das-waren-deutschen-Kampfflieger-Asse-1939-1945/dp/B005GGUS8W/

unfortunatly it seems that it's available only in German... the pages 133 to 141 have a short biography about him,

here is a picture of him infront of a He111... could've been his

http://books.google.de/books?id=LJadAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA64&lpg=PA64&dq=He+111+Dr.+Ernst+K%C3%BChl&source=bl&ots=Ic6xnyh_HT&sig=D6AK2H2Gm9m9vZd87a4vqUePZBQ&hl=de&sa=X&ei=1cj1U8uODYWi4gTJi4GYDQ&ved=0CD0Q6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=He%20111%20Dr.%20Ernst%20K%C3%BChl&f=false

from what i've seen the white stripe under the propeller cover with a picture in the Kampfflieger Asse book in which Dr. Kühl inspects damage done to the engine... to bad that you can't distinguish a He-111 by some differences around the cockpit :D

i'll continue my search

Edited by RohmMohc
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

- Hess' Kiddy Car Airlift saga does seem rather controversial. I think if it was written in such a way as to highlight this, we wouldn't be doing a discredit to anybody's opinion. Certainly, from those who defend him, it would appear that he never personally took any credit from others with a greater involvement.

Oberst Dr. Ernst Kühl sounds like a fantastic idea, but I'm afraid we'd need more to go on. Without details of an aircraft he flew for a skin and a lot more to go on for a biography, I'm afraid it wouldn't be possible. I can't find any reference to him in my library or after an internet trawl: if anybody else manages to find anything please let me know!

Wafu, have you anything on the Caldwell Issue yet?

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

We had a chat and opinion was fairly divided. For now, the decision is to place Caldwell in the banned list as whilst there is no undisputed evidence, most historical accounts seem to point to very serious allegations which make this individual too controversial for us to feature - especially when we have several other Australian pilots to write up.

unfortunatly i can't find anything more about Kühl... but i had an idea: how about making a few articles which have a small biography about mutliple lesser known aces about whom you can't find to much stuff (like in Kühls case e.g. camouflage for the plane etc)

medal medal medal medal

I wonder if could we put this person as a ground attacker. Well, is hard to find a Korean pilot (with Korean plane), and this seems to be interesting story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jVPvU1PmlM

Article:
"BOUT ONE:" BUILDING A SOUTH KOREAN AIR FORCE

Wiki article :)

Dean E. Hess

67 mission in P-47 during war and 250 in Korea

Plane
Aircraft~$2318_e.jpg
From this

More photos of his planes:
link

If preliminary accepted I will dig more if needed  and fill official form 

Form
Ace: Dean E. Hess
Nationality: American
Service: USAF, ROKAF
Aircraft: P-51 Mustang
Variant: P-51D-30NA
Serial Number: 44-74692
Time Frame: 1950-1953
Approved by Biographer:

He wrote book Battle Hymn and movie based on it was made.
Although he made 250 combat mission in Korea on P-51 (probably mostly  ground attack) he is rather known form other things, like helping to create South Korean Air Force. So far seems to be impossible to find Korean pilot which could be presented in game, because there is no regular Ace or there are problems with biographies.
Apart this he is famous for Kiddy Car Airlift, evacuation of orphans, but there is controversy about it:Link

About planes
One is that proposed in form and picture above:
In game we have P-51D-30, but I see it lacks antennas, looks like those were removed.

Other plane is this one (I think it's better)
Print%20GM-213%20-%20Korea,%20P-51D-30-N

8561362688_63f8d6da2f_c.jpg

So
- looks line a only chance for ROKAF plane
- could make interesting article, also about important part of ROKAF history.
- Mustang P-51D-30 have one skin in game, also because limited service in WWII Aces skin will go mostly for D-5 and D-20. Looks like a good chance for D-30 for gaining skin.

Hess is very important person in ROKAF historty because he did a huge roll in early age of ROKAF. Also there're many South Korean pilots and commanders who are important in history such as Choi Yongdeok(최용덕), Kim Jeongryol(김정렬), Kim Shin(김신), Kim Younghwan(김영환), Yu Chigon(유치곤) and so on. But even Koreans don't know well about their effort of developing the country's air force. So it's hard to find history about what they did in the Korean War period. There's some books about this in Korea but it was not translated into English or any other languages.

In addition to this, there were so many South Korean pilots fought against communist in the war, but they couldn't be "real aces" because all of their missions were ground attacking, reconnaissance, liaison, foward air control and artillery observing. (Fighting against enemy aircraft is not included) All of their planes were piston-engined such as F-51, AT-6, L-16, L-5 and L-4. However, with these old-fasioned aircraft in early jet age, they fought intensely and distingush themselves. Edited by SV001R
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal

[spoiler]

Hess is very important person in ROKAF historty because he did a huge roll in early age of ROKAF. Also there're many South Korean pilots and commanders who are important in history such as Choi Yongdeok(최용덕), Kim Jeongryol(김정렬), Kim Shin(김신), Kim Younghwan(김영환), Yu Chigon(유치곤) and so on. But even Koreans don't know well about their effort of developing the country's air force. So it's hard to find history about what they did in the Korean War period. There's some books about this in Korea but it was not translated into English or any other languages.

In addition to this, there were so many South Korean pilots fought against communist in the war, but they couldn't be "real aces" because all of their missions were ground attacking, reconnaissance, liaison, foward air control and artillery observing. (Fighting against enemy aircraft is not included) All of their planes were piston-engined such as F-51, AT-6, L-16, L-5 and L-4. However, with these old-fasioned aircraft in early jet age, they fought intensely and distingush themselves.

[/spoiler]

You still help with Hess, by translating some materials. or if you think some of those Korean pilots was succesfully ground attacker you can provide enough stories and propose him, I would like to se it :)

Although this series have name "Aces", is also cover bomber/atacker pilots, so no problem here.

medal

Vasco, you shared a screenshot of the beautiful M.C. 202 skin for Lucchini with us in the recent AoM article.

Do you happen to have screenshots of Rall's, Gladych's or maybe Cheshire's skins. 

Pretty please with sugar on top. :)s

medal medal medal medal