wafu_vasco

Ace of the Month

Hello guys! 

I thought I'd give a quick update on a few Ace of the Month ideas. Now... I know the German question has been raised a few times, and whilst I can't promise anything, the good news is that the CURRENT plans are for the next Ace of the Month to be German.

"So what?" I hear you ask "you said that last month!"

Well, alas, plans can always change and this one could, too. The main policy is to only publish the nation of the next Ace, but as the German fans have been waiting patiently for so long, I figured you deserved a little bit more information than normal and hopefully I won't get in too much trouble for giving out a couple of extra bits of info:

- We've already mentioned that Hans-Ulrich Rudel will not be detailed at any point in this feature. Whilst Erich Hartmann is also a popular choice from the community, the current plans are not to include him also. I know this will come as a big disappointment to some people, but there's nothing that can be done so I suggest we concentrate on what we CAN do rather than get upset about what isn't allowed.

- So, the next Ace: I've written the bio and started research on the skin of the next Ace. I won't tell you exactly who, but here's some info which will hopefully keep a few WT German fighter aces optimistic: next planned ace is German, single seat fighter pilot, scored over 100 kills. Whilst not one of the 300+ kill club, this guy is definitely a big name if you are a student of Luftwaffe history. 

Anyhow, as always, please keep your ideas and feedback coming, I promise that all posts are read and considered.

• Upvote 1

Anyhow, as always, please keep your ideas and feedback coming, I promise that all posts are read and considered.

UK night fighters ace (on Havoc?)

There a lot of skins for Germans planes, but none for their Allies (except one Italian) Some Slovak/Croatian/Hungarian/Bulgarian/Romanian ace would be nice (without Finland until we got proper Finnish markings)

Also Gabby Gabreski - USA fighter ace of Polish origin, with skin for premium or regular (or both) Spitfire Mk IX, when he fought together with 315 Polish squadron? It would please USA, UK and Poland fans.

http://www.techmod.pl/aviation-72/72044-supermarine-spitfire-f-ix-gabreskis-spitfires

Nice idea on the night fighters - that does actually link in with something I was thinking of for the next UK Ace, but that's obviously quite some way away. Gabreski is also a good call, I'm gonna go have a look through my library now and see what I've got on him. I totally agree that it's really important to represent nations outside of WT's main 5 countries; the plan is to get at least one pilot from outside those 5 featured for every full run through of the main 5 nations.

Try Kaj Birksted he flew for 331 squadron RAF (danish). There are some other names you can look at from that site  Alot of info on the web about RAF 331 Squadron.

Link here http://www.acesofww2.com/denmark/

Sorry to hear that there are plans not to include Hartmann.  I cant remember where I read it, but I belive, Russia exonerated Erich Hartmann in 1997. It was stated that his conviction had not been lawfull.

vanlierde.jpg

Remy van Lierde (DFC + 2 bars). Shot down 6 planes (making it an ace already), and a whopping 44 V1 buzzbombs (making him the 2nd highest scoring "doodlebug-killer" of the entire campaign).

Flew with the "international" 609 Squadron (plenty of Belgians, but also people from Poland, Canada, Australia, New-Zealand, France, USA and a German as well) on Spitfire Vb's and Typhoons, claimed his first kill in a Typhoon 1b (all his airplane kills were with this squadron, on typhoons). Then moved on to 3 Squadron on Tempests, and later as squadronleader to 164 Squadron with Typhoons to take out the V1's.

While flying with 164 squadron, he flew in MN978, a Typhoon Mk. 1b "teardrop canopy" with code FJ-Z.

I am a big fan of skins. After i found "Ace of the Month" section on warthunder.com I checked additional skins.

from ..

Alexander Pokryshkin

Lt Cdr RJ «Dickie» Cork

Edward F Rector

Pierre Clostermann

I could only find Clostermans Hawker Tempest Mk.V NV724 Skin in game. There are a lot of skins just temporarely ? The lucky ones unlocking them could keep them?

I am a big fan of skins. After i found "Ace of the Month" section on warthunder.com I checked additional skins.

from ..

Alexander Pokryshkin

Lt Cdr RJ «Dickie» Cork

Edward F Rector

Pierre Clostermann

I could only find Clostermans Hawker Tempest Mk.V NV724 Skin in game. There are a lot of skins just temporarely ? The lucky ones unlocking them could keep them?

All of them are in game. Look for them in skin section in game. I have unlock Lt Cdr RJ «Dickie» Cork quite after event, and  Edward F Rector was in game before event.

All of them are in game. Look for them in skin section in game. I have unlock Lt Cdr RJ «Dickie» Cork quite after event, and  Edward F Rector was in game before event.

Lt Cdr RJ «Dickie» Cork

ah i see: FAA camouflage, thx

It's Herbet Ihlefeld, Kurt Tanzer or Has-Joachim Marseille - Calling it!

Do a Romanian ace next!

I guess it won't be Kurt Tanzer because his Fw 190 A-4 and D-9 isn't ingame yet, but i guess he will be a ace of the month later. Also he is born in moscow, maybe something the dev-team could be attached to ;) To bad he died through flying a Shooting Star... but if not he maybe also would have died by flying a Star-Fighter later. Why western germany bought such planes, it was called "Witwenmacher" (Widowmaker).

Back to topic: Herbert Ihlefeld was piloting a Bf 109 E-3 and even a He 162 Salamander, so planes that are ingame. Hoping for a He 162 skin but this would involve to less players... so maybe his E-3 but his Bf109 C has much nicer :D

Btw: he was born in one of the less populated regions of my beautiful Brandenburg :)

His Bf-109E-3

[spoiler]

Artwork-Bf-109E3-Stab-I.LG2-((+-Herbert-

[/spoiler]

Weise 1 of Rudolf Schmit and Weise 5 tof Hpt. Helmut Künnecke, JG1, the same Squadron like Herbert Ihlefeld

[spoiler]

He162_schmitt.JPG

[/spoiler]

his Bf109 C(? or B?) of the Legion Condor

[spoiler]

8867_7_51-herbert-ihlefeld.jpg

[/spoiler]

And at least: Hans-Joachim Marseille, Berliner and undefeated ace (like the other two, if you don't count his own G-2 which killed him by bailing out because of engine failure). His superior flying at combat over africa got him the nickname "Stern von Afrika" (star of africa) and his Bf 109 F-4/trop and G-2 are ingame and an average player base could take part to get his painting. But i would get his E-4/trop skin instead :) Even if i prefare Ihlefeld, i guess it would be Marseille

His Bf 109 E-4/trop

[spoiler]

messerschmitt-bf-109-e-4-trop-revell.jpg

[/spoiler]

His F-4/Trop

[spoiler]

Bf_109_F_Marseille_DIN_A3_klein72.jpg

[/spoiler]

Bf 109 G-2

[spoiler]

BF109G2_3-JG27_Marseille_wSW.png

[/spoiler]

Hello Guys,

As always, thanks for the input. There's some really interesting posts here; some very good choices of potential future aces that I've been considering, and some guys I'd not heard of before so thank you for educating me! Well, we're entering the last few days of the month and you will maybe have noticed that there is no ace yet. I've deduced two things from this:

1 - The guys are working very hard on the next update, so there may be a delay in this month's ace. It might even slip to early August.

2 - The good news is, because I haven't been given any additional tasking and time is running out for me to write up a new biography, it's now looking more positive that the next ace will be German.

Thanks again for the interest in this thread!

• Upvote 1

You're (more than) welcome.

And if I may suggest you a book: "The Story of 609 Squadron, under the white rose" by Frank Ziegler. Interesting book (although not the easiest to read, since it contains some RAF-slang and abbreviations) on the squadron, the people, the actions and RAF-line in general from 1936 until the 1950's:

51aiozXVsPL.jpg

I found a interesting site today.

Biplane Fighter Aces from the Second World War

http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/aces.htm

That's an interesting site - I've read quite a bit about Gladiator aces, but there was loads of new stuff there for me. +1 and thanks for posting!

That's an interesting site - I've read quite a bit about Gladiator aces, but there was loads of new stuff there for me. +1 and thanks for posting!

I'm going to built a bunch of Airfix Gladiator in foreign service ;)

That one looks interesting:

The Slovak National Uprising and the last biplane kill of the Second World War

http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/avia_slovakuprising.htm

And there is a pilot

Lieutenant Frantisek 'Fero' Cyprich

http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/slovakia_cyprich.htm

I found his Bf 109G-6 from Slovak National Uprising

97_2.jpg

From wingspallete http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/33/97/0

Ok guys:

The good news: next Ace of the Month is confirmed as a German fighter pilot. Just to keep you wondering, you haven't guessed him yet!

The bad news: as with the Dickie Cork Sea Hurricane skin, the team are currently working on higher priority tasks so the skin itself will not be released to coincide with the article and special offers. Senio and I are working hard to try to keep it as high on the priority list as it can be for you.

Many thanks!

Ok guys:

The good news: next Ace of the Month is confirmed as a German fighter pilot. Just to keep you wondering, you haven't guessed him yet!

The bad news: as with the Dickie Cork Sea Hurricane skin, the team are currently working on higher priority tasks so the skin itself will not be released to coincide with the article and special offers. Senio and I are working hard to try to keep it as high on the priority list as it can be for you.

Many thanks!

Can i guess again?  :Ds

Adolf Galland: Youngst german Luftwaffen general (Generalmajor) of it's time with only 30 years and general of the fighterplanes (General der Jagdflugzeuge). 104 shoot downs. I know that he flought a He-51C (Legion Condor), a Bf 109 E-4/N at the channel and later even a Me-262 (JV44, which was under his leadership). I guess a He-51C skin would came with him as a Ace of the month. Me-262 will be for to less players.

Hermann Graf: World first ace with 172 and later 200 shoot downs. Got Ritterkreuz der Eiseren Kreuzes mit Eichenlaub, Schwertern und Brillanten (highest knightcross and only 5 people got his to this time). Twice wounded: the last time he rammed a P-51 after running out of ammo during a bomber-attack.  He also was commander of the JG52 at the end of the war. He flought a Bf 109 G-2 (Gelbe 11), Fw 190 A-5 and Bf 109 G-6. So all his famous planes are include.

Hoping for Hermann Graf because his G-6 and A-5 skins looking really nice.

His G-2

[spoiler]

graf-me-1024x340.jpg

[/spoiler]

G-6

[spoiler]

46486_b.jpg

[/spoiler]

A-5

[spoiler]

2090247884_6ffd732a03_z.jpg

Art-Focke%20Wulf-Fw-190A5-Jagdgruppe-Ost

[/spoiler]

Ah, the Ace of the Month general discussion section...

- Some great guesses as to who the first German ace would be: Galland was a serious consideration on the short list.

- Some of you may or may not have read the discussions on the article thread and the news thread. Well, here goes... again. It's called 'Ace of the Month' because we write a bio on a different ace every month. We know it is only a day or two long, but if we called it 'Ace of the Day' then that kind of hints that we're going to feature a new ace every day. We've brought this to the attention of the important people at Gaijin, and the answer we have received is that the feature will NOT run longer. I'm afraid I'm only the guy who writes the article and then provides some reference material for the artists for the skin. I don't choose the promotional offers, or the requirements to unlock the new skin. I'll carry on trying my best to bring your questions and ideas to the important guys, but they know WAY more than I do about the direction WT is going in, so their word is final. I'll copy and paste this paragraph next month when somebody else thinks they're the first person to think this one up...

- Ok, the plan is for a Japanese ace next week. I've already selected the individual and started the research into his career. But, if the WT team decide that Ace of the Month will fit in better with a seperate promotional feature, this could well change. But, if this doesn't happen, my plan is to feature a Japanese ace next, then another ace who isn't from the main 5 nations, then go back to the start again.

- The Molders skin: I'm sure you're all aware that 1.33 ain't far away. That has priority, understandably. But, Senio has assured us that the Molders 109 WILL happen, so we just need to sit tight. The same thing happened with the Dickie Cork Sea Hurricane, and the delay wasn't very long.

- On that subject, the artist actually created a Dickie Cork decal as well, which has been discovered in the archives. Fingers crossed that we'll get it soon, I'll keep you updated.

As always, thanks for your support and ideas.

• Upvote 1

Hello guys, another quick update:

- As already announced in the news section, they'll be a few new decals in the next update. Here is a preview of one of them, a Royal Navy crown as painted on Dickie Cork's Hurricane during the Battle of Britain:

[attachment=20454:Cork decal.jpg]

Below is a photo of the original art on Cork's Hurricane:

[attachment=20455:Cork Crown.png]

Hopefully you guys are as impressed by the accuracy as I am! Anyhow, this decal slipped through the cracks of the last few minor updates, so a big thanks to Senio for tracking it down and getting it uploaded.

• Upvote 2

Ilmari "Illu" Juutilainen  (21 February 1914 – 21 February 1999). Top scoring non-German fighter pilot to date. He finished the war without a single hit from enemy fighters (although did get hit by friendly AAA). Neither did he ever lose a wing-man in combat. Surely the stuff of legends? 

"What's most astonishing about Sgt. Juutilainen's fighting style is the extreme close range at which he preferred to fight: he regularly recalls shooting at 50 yards, and speaks of following a MiG-3 plane close that his Brewster was "drafting" on the slipstream. Even a Hawker Hurricane left him undaunted:

"I came in at high speed from above and behind and pulled the throttle back to idle.... The target grew in my gunsight. It was a very clean airplane and looked brand new. Now I was approaching the perfect firing range and looked around me one more time. No other enemies were in sight. The pipper on my sight was just slightly in front of the nose of the Hurricane and my glide angle was about ten degrees. Now I could count rivets on the target and the range was about thirty yards." 

Sources and other interesting reading:

http://www.tarrif.net/wwii/interviews/ilmari_juutilainen.htm

http://www.warbirdforum.com/illu.htm

http://www.elknet.pl/acestory/juuti/juuti2.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilmari_Juutilainen

Ilmari Juutilainen sitting in a Finnish Air Force F-18 Hornet while visiting Fighter Squadron 21 at Pirkkala Air Base, spring 1996.:

illu-kim2.jpg

• Upvote 1

Suggestion for a Canadian Ace (since they are the nicest people around: "Canada, living the American dream... without the gun violence"): [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Beurling]George Beurling[/url]

Enfant terrible, tremendous issues with things called "hierarchy, discipline and militiary codes", but one hell of an amazing pilot, and amazing gunner. He was so committed to join any air force (he just wanted to fly, but since he wasn't schooled, he wasn't allowed in the Canadian Air Force), that he enlisted himself as a sailor in Canada for one trip to the UK and back. Arrived in the UK, he sneaked off the ship, went to the RAF recruitment bureau, was told everything was OK, but they needed his paperwork (birth certificate, logbook wasn't important)... He didn't have that, so the enlisting officer said: "Sorry pal, it seems you've got to go back and get it", so he sneaked back on to that ship, went back to Canada, visited his parents (who had no idea where he was for a couple of weeks), took his birth certificate, got back on the same ship that took him for the first time to the UK, sneaked off the ship AGAIN, and was finally enlisted in the RAF... Detail: the ship was attacked and sunk by a German sub on the way back... Detail 2: When he arrived back in the UK for the 2nd time after a few weeks, the same enlisting officer was in the station. First thing he said when he saw Beurling walking through that door: "There is that goddamn Canadian... AGAIN!?!"

He sneaked upon his opponents so close "that he could count the rivets in their plane" and only fired then (he was the Allied counterpart of the German "king of the deflection shot", Hans-Joachim Marseille, and was known to exercise by shooting lizards with a handgun with a single shot, and then use the measurements of distance, angle,... in lists to make calculations for the real air-war. And those calculations were fairly complex, especially for someone who wasn't schooled, the reason why he wasn't allowed in the Canadian Air Force).

He survived the war with 31 kills, but was killed in 1948 when his Norsseman transport plane incinerated in the air.

BeurlingSpitVc.jpg

Well chaps, we're overdue an update:

- Work is well underway on the Werner Molders Bf109 skin. No ETA for upload yet, but rest assured that it will be the next Ace skin to hit WT.

- There are plans for a Sakai Zero; an A6M2 to be more precise. More information when it arrives.

- Thank you very much for all of the community suggestions. Now, here's a couple of problems I'll share with you about future Ace features, particularly with regards to nationalities outside of the Main 5: 

I've had community suggestions of Aces from Australia, Canada, Poland, Czechoslovakia and several others. Add New Zealand to the mix, throw in the fact we've already featured France, and you may notice a pattern: these pilots all flew aircraft which mainly feature in the British Tech Tree. We do want to feature as many nations as we can, but there have already been a few rogue complaints about the 'British heavy' focus of Ace of the Month.

Furthermore, looking at the Axis: a lot, if not a vast majority of German aces were 109 pilots. Also, looking at Germany's allies and some other nations we could potentially feature, Germany was rather keen on exporting the Bf109. So, we've got a similar problem in that some players may get rather upset with a 109 heavy focus in future aces.

Regarding both of these potential sticking points, all of your feedback and opinions are very welcome; this is the thread to do it as this is the thread I take community suggestions and opinions from.

- Finally, we have now featured one ace from every one of the Main 5 nations, plus one other. We're still discussing what ratio of features we want to do with the Main 5 vs other nations, but for now we will be returning back to the very start: so to that end, the next ace will be Russian. 

Thanks again for the interest and support!