Sign in to follow this  
Sh0es

[wiki:contest] F6F Hellcat: A Beginner's Guide

The F6F-3 Hellcat: A Beginner's Guide

Historical Data

After the repeated failures experienced with it's newest fighter, the F4U Corsair, the US Navy turned to Grumman to design a new fighter that would allow them to gain air superiority while additional teething was done to the Corsair. The F6F Hellcat was the result, and although it was intended to be a stopgap aircraft, its performance was so impressive that they continued to use it even after the Corsair was reintroduced. The Hellcat is a fighter that really beat the odds and earned, through hard work, its place in the history of the US Navy and fighter aircraft worldwide. It was responsible for more than half of the Allies air kills in the Pacific Theater despite its seemingly mediocre performance in comparison to its land-based contrmporaries.

In-Game Performance

Tech Rank: 2

Battle Rating: 3.7

Top Speed: 610 km/h @ 7100 m

Service Ceiling: 11000 m

Climb Rate: 13.6 (21.8) m/s*

Turn Time: 21.8 s

Difficulty: Intermediate

Winning in the F6F-3

The key to both surviving and owning in the F6F is to keep your speed up. Above 400 km/h it can out-turn a zero and roll on par with a Fw-190, but below 300 km/h it is very sluggish. As with most American fighters, boom-n-zoom is the preferred mode d'operateur for the Hellcat, while it's high-speed maneuverability can be used to add in a high yo-yo. It has a lot of ammo but a good aim is still important since boom-n-zoom only allows you a small window of opportunity to hit your target before you have to climb back to altitude. Still this is an excellent plane to practice your aim and tactics with because it's more forgiving than most boom-n-zoom fighters. If you don't have a particularly good aim, a good tactic is to open up at 500 m, starting with your aim on the aircraft, and then slowly move your aim in front of the target. You won't require as much lead when diving on your target at 600+ km/h.

Keep in Mind

• It has a lot of engine power, but at anywhere between 5.7 and 7 tonnes, getting up to altitude isn't going to be easy.
  • It has good maneuverability, but resist the temptation to get into low-altitude turning fights. This is a heavy aircraft and it will lose a lot of speed in turns.
  • While it has plenty of explosive armament options, in Realistic and Simulator battles the added weight and drag will usually make you an easy target for other fighters. Since air battles are basically dogfights, you're often better off just taking off with your guns.
  • This thing will perform reasonably well at low altitudes, but it's still recommended to stay at an altitude of 3 km or higher.

*This is a discrepancy between the in-game stat card and the wiki. The figure in parentheses is from the wiki.

I may or may not add more information as I see fit.

Edited by Sh0es
  • Upvote 2

nice. Just got a free talisman on this thing and I really wanna try the best performing 'murican WW2 plane. Thank you!

Sorry, but this plane has had a major roll rate nerf and is no longer the plane it was.

Also, it's nowhere near the best performing American WW2 Plane.

• Upvote 1

Sorry, but this plane has had a major roll rate nerf and is no longer the plane it was.

Also, it's nowhere near the best performing American WW2 Plane.

Sorry, I don't know that much about WW2, but I know that the F6F was the most sucessfull plane when it comes to airkills. But well.

Sorry, I don't know that much about WW2, but I know that the F6F was the most sucessfull plane when it comes to airkills. But well.

I thought that in any single theater of operations, the top would be the F6F Hellcat, with 5,168 kills in the Pacific Theater of Operations. Next would the P-51 Mustang with 4,950 kills in the European Theater of Operations.

For the entire war combined, all theaters, it would be the P-51 Mustang with 5,954 kills in ETO, MTO, PTO, and CBI all combined, followed by the Hellcat with 5,168 in PTO and ETO.

A couple of pointers, if I may.  Since it's a beginner's guide, I would think AB battle players would be the overwhelming majority of readers.

1.  Probably should mention different types of armament carried.  With 2 x 1000 lbs bombs and rockets armed, it's actually a stable game-ending platform in a pinch when the rest of your team is not ground-attacking.  Sometimes very useful to save the Cat as your last plane just for that.  You can always just fire the rockets and drop bombs if you're suddenly forced to dogfight.

2.  Types of ammo, and which are used best and why.  Stealth is usually used, but I've seen a lot of people use Tracer rounds, thinking it's the same Tracer round as the M20 (aka the Firestarter) used in Mustangs / Tbolts, and it's not. 

3.  Types of planes it encounters (just a basic overview) and which ones to stay away from altogether, and which ones you can tangle with.  Or perhaps low-flying bomber-hunter?  Which planes are priority targets (Zero, Spit, Ishak) and should be prioritized in a BnZ because the Cat can't tangle with those types and needs them off the playing field asap.

4.  Personally, I don't think or see the Cat used as a BnZ in AB battles, because it doesn't have the climb power to stay above most of the other planes it faces.  It CAN BnZ once it reaches 3+km,  but by the time it does, there's always someone above you.  It s though, a potent dogfighter with decent energy retention if you don't fly it like you stole it.  But again, this is personal opinion.

Nice read otherwise : )

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

Everyone Feel free to edit the wikipedia :yes:

If you are logged in the forum you can already write on the Wiki, just click on "Log in" again!

http://wiki.warthunder.com/index.php?title=F6F-3_Hellcat

medal medal medal medal medal

The Hellcat has become my most favorite warbird. It might not be the prettiest or the best but it just has a certain character about it make it unique.

I am just waiting for the improved version the F6F-5 variant with a redesigned engine cowling, a new windscreen structure with an integral bulletproof windscreen, new ailerons and strengthened tail surfaces; powered by a 2,200 hp (1,640 kW) Pratt & Whitney R-2800-10W (-W denotes Water Injection) radial piston engine.

By the way I became such a fan of the Hellcat that it led me to get into RC airplanes when I found out they now made an electric RC version that is easy to build and get into the hobby.

The best one there is made by Dynam.  You can find it here.  http://www.motionrc.com/dynam-f6f-hellcat-1270mm-50-wingspan-pnp/

7611__90354.1446050849.1020.1020.jpg?c=2

medal

EvoManx,You have another one who so much likes the F6F Hellcat,it's almost like falling in love with it! I have 2 scale-model replicas of that plane: 1. A 1/48-scale replica made by Revell,with markings from the squadron on board USS Essex; 2.A 1/48-scale replica made by Otaki,with markings from "Fighting 16" USS Lexington,during attack on Wake Island in October,1943! Talk about having two Hellcats on my shelf...Anyway,the one from "Lady Lex" was a -3 Hellcat,while the other one from USS Essex was a -5 model! I too am hoping one day that the F6F-5 (all variants) show up...Should make a short film on the "Marianas Turkey Shoot" possible!!! :good:

medal medal

On 22/09/2015 at 06:59, GM_Magnus said:

I thought that in any single theater of operations, the top would be the F6F Hellcat, with 5,168 kills in the Pacific Theater of Operations. Next would the P-51 Mustang with 4,950 kills in the European Theater of Operations.

For the entire war combined, all theaters, it would be the P-51 Mustang with 5,954 kills in ETO, MTO, PTO, and CBI all combined, followed by the Hellcat with 5,168 in PTO and ETO.

However, the Hellcat had a better kill : death ratio. The p-51 may have got more kills, but it was shot down a lot more too. There were many more p-51s, so of course they got more kills, but that does not make the p-51 better. By pure flight performance, the Hellcats big brother, the Bearcat, was far superior to the p-51.

Yet another fan of the Hellcat!

Edited by lastbearcatace

On 26/09/2015 at 12:02, Hidden_Hamster said:

A couple of pointers, if I may.  Since it's a beginner's guide, I would think AB battle players would be the overwhelming majority of readers.

1.  Probably should mention different types of armament carried.  With 2 x 1000 lbs bombs and rockets armed, it's actually a stable game-ending platform in a pinch when the rest of your team is not ground-attacking.  Sometimes very useful to save the Cat as your last plane just for that.  You can always just fire the rockets and drop bombs if you're suddenly forced to dogfight.

2.  Types of ammo, and which are used best and why.  Stealth is usually used, but I've seen a lot of people use Tracer rounds, thinking it's the same Tracer round as the M20 (aka the Firestarter) used in Mustangs / Tbolts, and it's not. 

3.  Types of planes it encounters (just a basic overview) and which ones to stay away from altogether, and which ones you can tangle with.  Or perhaps low-flying bomber-hunter?  Which planes are priority targets (Zero, Spit, Ishak) and should be prioritized in a BnZ because the Cat can't tangle with those types and needs them off the playing field asap.

4.  Personally, I don't think or see the Cat used as a BnZ in AB battles, because it doesn't have the climb power to stay above most of the other planes it faces.  It CAN BnZ once it reaches 3+km,  but by the time it does, there's always someone above you.  It s though, a potent dogfighter with decent energy retention if you don't fly it like you stole it.  But again, this is personal opinion.

Nice read otherwise : )

With firing the rockets, don't waste them by shooting them into the middle of nowhere. Most of us German Bf 109s and Fw 190s love to get into head-ons. If you trick us into a head-on, fire your rockets and roll out, it's certainly a free death for us.

Sign in to follow this