Sign in to follow this  
CorMazz

[wiki:contest] McDonnell Douglass F2H-2 Banshee Incomplete

I'VE GIVEN UP. FEEL FREE TO TAKE THIS INFORMATION, JUST PUT MY NAME IN REALLY SMALL PRINT AT THE BOTTOM.

The Complete Guide to Flying the McDonnell Douglass F2H-2 Banshee

First things first. If you have gotten to the Banshee, then you are probably a a decent pilot already. However, as I strongly recommend the Banshee as a persons first jet, you may be new to jet combat. Jet combat is very different than propeller game play. You have to completely relearn all acceptable speeds, altitudes, planes, aiming; which is the problem of most new jet players.

Aircraft Specifications- 
Top Speed- 922 km/h straight line at sea level 

Do Not Exceed Speed- 945 km/h redline (587 mph), 1000 km/h max (621 mph)

Stall Speed- ~ 220 km/h (~138 mph)

Climb Rate- 37 meters per second (1:35 to 3,000 meters/9842 feet, 3:23 to 6,000 meters/19685 feet)

Turn Time- Slower than everything else, DO NOT TURN (27.9 seconds on the stat card but don't trust those)

Armament- Four AN/M3 20 mm cannons

Wingspan- 42' (13 m)

Length- 48' (15 m)

Info- The Banshee has a very powerful armament of 4x20 mm AN/M3 cannons. The default ammo belts have the most HEI rounds, so I use the default belts to get more bang for my bullet :)

Upgrades- The Banshee, like most high tier jets, are dreadful to fly when stock, but the Banshee has a special problem. The AN/M3 cannons, when not upgraded, have the cumulative accuracy of 14 alpacas wielding shotguns, trying to shoot a fleeing gnat that is 2 kilometers away. Honest to goodness, those cannons, without the upgrade, are liable to send rounds AROUND THE OTHER PLANE, so prioritize getting the cannon upgrade as soon as possible in order to increase the likelihood of getting a hit. All of the other upgrades aren't as important, although as with all other planes, go for the highest performing upgrades first, which are the engine and compressor.

Ripping- If you manage to rip the Banshee, I applaud you, as this is an aircraft that has the turn time of a bloated whale. The only time you have to worry about ripping is if you have a slightly damaged wing as damage to the spar can cause it to break under the increased stress of a turn.

How to Fly the Banshee (Beginner)
  1. DO NOT TURN- This is the number one lesson in flying the Banshee, and there are only a few situations in which you must break this rule. A turn in a Banshee qualifies as any change in course greater than 75 degrees. Anything greater than that, and you should check your surroundings, and then immelmann with a roll into the direction you want to turn, while keeping the altitude gained by the immelmann.
  2. LEARN TO AIM- Aiming in realistic or simulator battles can be one of the hardest parts for a new pilot to get a kill. The key to aiming in a jet match is to draw a line in front of your opponent, extending outwards from their velocity vector (where they are heading), and then add four or five jet lengths in front of their jet for a deflection shot (you can see the top of their nose, and tail), or add one or two jet lengths if you are directly behind them. Shoot, bang, 4x20 mms make short work of anything in their way. For the most part, aiming is just instinctual. You will eventually learn where to aim your guns, as it will just, "feel" like the right place to aim.
  3. CLIMB, CLIMB, CLIMB- In the Banshee, you need at most 7km on any map, and in the beginning of the game a minimum of 6k. As you start to fight, it is acceptable to lower your altitude, but when in doubt, reach for the stars.

As a new Banshee pilot, your first thoughts are, "hey! I'm in a jet so now I should wreck everything!". My job is to tell you that your enemies all have jets too. In the Banshee, you should not turn. If you even think about turning, you spontaneously combust, and then all of your Banshee dreams go right down the drain, along with your lions for the 5000 lion repair cost. The key to flying the Banshee is to get altitude. Altitude (6,000 meters, 19685 feet) and an indicated air speed of at least 450 km/h (279.617 mph).
Edited by CorMazz

Sign in to follow this