Country Germany

Weight 28000 kg

Type Tank destroyer

Rank 3

Rating 5.0

Engine power 300 h.p.

Max speed 40 km/h

Hull armour thickness 80/30/22 (mm)

Superstructure armour thickness 80/40/30 (mm)

Time for free repair 14 h 41 m (Realistic Battles)

Max repair cost 1750 s.l. (Realistic Battles)

Cost $17.99 (Hunter Starter Pack)

The Panzer IV/70 (A) is a Tier III German premium tank destroyer, based on the Panzer IV chassis and armed with the PaK 42 L/70 7.5cm gun.

Role and recommended usage

The Panzer IV/70 (A) is an effective anti-tank weapon, but arguably less effective than its counterpart built by Vomag, the Panzer IV/70(V).

The vehicle's tall profile has positive and negative aspects. It means it is more visible, especially at longer ranges. But it does allow the player to see and shoot over taller obstructions that the Panzer IV/70(V) wouldn't be able to.

The lack of a turret means the player shouldn't be overly aggressive. The vehicle can't turn particularly fast and the gun's traverse is limited, so a fast vehicle can easily get behind it. It is best to stay back and use the excellent muzzle velocity and penetration of the L/70 cannon to destroy targets from afar. Stay in cover, or behind the team's mediums and heavies, and provide fire support. But don't make yourself an obvious target. The tall-slab sided IV/70 (A) is very vulnerable to flanking fire as the side armour is only 40mm thick. Even parts of the front armour are a little lacking, and certainly inferior to the Panzer IV/70(V). The sloped upper superstructure gives an effective thickness of around 125mm, very good for this BR, but it has an unsloped 80mm hull and an 80mm lower hull that is only very slightly sloped.

Forward speed is sufficient, topping out at 40 km/h, but the reverse speed of 7 km/h, while acceptable, isn't anything special. This vehicle isn't a speed demon, and isn't built for lightning fast flanking maneuvers. It's much more comfortable behind the lines, acting like an anti-tank gun with treads that responds to threats rather than spearheading assaults. At this tier, the L/70 cannon can punch through almost any vehicle that may be encountered, with the US Sherman Jumbo and Russian IS tanks being the only real tough nuts.

The IV/70 (A) isn't quite a glass cannon, but it definitely shouldn't try to trade blows with most enemy vehicles as the armour simply doesn't provide comprehensive protection. This, coupled with the very vulnerable, large flanks make it highly unsuitable as a front line assault vehicle.

This vehicle is very much a defensive weapon that should only be on the offensive if the situation is desperate. The gun it is armed with is one of the best at this tier in terms of penetration and muzzle velocity, and will make short work of all but the toughest tanks. When taking fire, however, the IV/70(A)'s protection is inconsistent at best. Shots that strike the sloped upper superstructure are likely to bounce, but anywhere else and the shell will almost certainly penetrate at closer ranges. It is best to avoid confrontation if possible and let the other members of the team soak up damage to allow the player to pick and choose the engagement. Ideally, the enemy won't have a chance to return fire. Allow room between yourself and the enemy, and avoid traversing high-traffic areas; instead, keep an eye on them from a distance and let the enemy come to you.

Urban areas should be avoided if possible. Entering such an area is an invitation for the enemy to flank, and the closeness of the engagements negates the main advantage of this tank: the gun. Engaging the enemy at close range doesn't utilise the L/70's excellent penetration at range.

Defeating the Panzer IV/70(A)

If the location of the vehicle is known, don't approach head-on as it has a very powerful gun which will easily penetrate most vehicles.

As with any turretless vehicle, flanking is the recommended course of action. If that isn't an option, aim for the flat lower superstructure beneath the upper hull.

If a flanking maneuver is successfully performed, aim for the large, flat sides which will offer no resistance to any gun at virtually all ranges at this tier.

This image shows the flat lower superstructure which is easier to penetrate than the sloping armour above it. The lower hull is also unsloped and will prove an easy target for most guns.

Uf5RQ4L.jpg?1

Aiming at the lower hull will damage or destroy the transmission, which can immobilise the vehicle and cause a fire. Targeting the upper hull with inflict damage on the crew compartment. If your gun has enough penetration, aim for the upper hull just to the right of the gun mantlet. This will incapacitate the Gunner and probably the Commander, who sits directly behind.

oVli1ch.jpg?1

The side of the IV/70 (A) is a goldmine of weak spots for an accurate player. Aiming for the ammunition is recommended. Use the rods on the side of the hull as a reference point, and aim down, a foot or so below the top of the mesh skirts, and an ammunition detonation is almost certain.

nyetV7C.jpg?1

From behind, it is advisable to aim for the large, flat rear superstructure above the engine deck. The Commander and Gunner can be eliminated with a single well-placed shot. After the Gunner is taken out, aim for the engine to prevent the vehicle from turning to engage you.

DAMv4BE.jpg?1

Avoid firing at the mantlet. It is heavily sloped and in excess of 200mm equivalent flat armour.

M8ASWZl.jpg?1

Crew

Satw4vF.jpg?2

Four-man crew. In order of target priority:

Gunner

Loader

Driver

Commander

The Gunner should always be the first target, as he fires the main gun. While he is recovering from his injuries the gun will not fire.

The Loader is next, as with him gone the reload time is much slower.

The Driver allows the vehicle to move. A vehicle that can't move, especially if it lacks a turret, is very vulnerable.

The Commander is the least important, but he may be targeted if his elimination will make the vehicle combat-ineffective. A vehicle without enough crew members will stop functioning.

Game mode specifics

Arcade

With the shot indicator showing the player where shots will land, the high-velocity L/70 can accurately hit targets at long ranges, and targets on the move as the shells arrive quickly at the target.

The penetration indicator, which changes colour based on the chance of successful penetration, is a problem for the IV/70 (A). It highlights the weak areas of the tank to enemy players, making the weak spots obvious.

Arcade tends to be faster-paced than Realistic and Simulator, so the lack of a turret may be a large detriment as being flanked is quite common in this mode.

Realistic and Simulator

With a lack of markers above tanks and larger combat zones, Realistic and Simulator suit this vehicle well. Taking up a concealed firing position and engaging enemies from a distance is what this tank excels at. Be mindful of flanking attacks though, if consideration of exposed flanks and careful checking of these areas is not performed, it will likely be too late to respond to an enemy on a flank or behind.

Keeping with the 'anti-tank gun with treads' analogy, zooming across the map and looking for enemies is not how this tank should be played. Let the enemy do the work, because this tank is very poorly suited to assaulting.

Usage of the binoculars is highly advised as they allow a zoomed-in 360 degree view without having to move the vehicle.

Pros and cons

Pros

• Low Battle Rating for a L/70-armed vehicle
  • Powerful, reliable gun that can penetrate the majority of enemy vehicles it will face
  • Gun's high mounting can allow it to fire over tall obstructions
  • Mobility, while not exceptional, is adequate
  • Sloped front offers good protection for this Battle Rating

Cons

• Tall, blocky silhouette, especially obvious from the side, but presents a large target from all directions
  • Flat areas on frontal hull don't offer much protection
  • Sides are large and poorly protected
  • Lack of a turret makes it very vulnerable to flanking attacks
  • Only 5 degrees of gun depression, one of the worst in the German tech tree

Main armament

75cm PaK 42 L/70.

• Reloading Speed: 10.8s
  • Ammunition Capacity: 60 shells
  • Gun Elevation: 15°
  • Gun Depression: 5°

Secondary Armament

7.92mm MG42 Machine gun

• Reloading speed: 10 seconds
  • Ammunition Capacity: 4 x 150-round belts, total 600 rounds
  • Ammunition layout: AI/AP-I/AP-I/AP-T

As with the other Panzer IV chassis tank destroyers, the IV/70 (A) is armed with an MG42 machine gun. Compared to the MG34, found on many turreted German tanks, the rate of fire of the MG42 is higher. This means more bullets down range in a shorter amount of time, but ammo will be burnt through more quickly, and with 600 rounds it won't be long before it's all gone.

The MG42 isn't much use against most targets, but it can interfere with the enemy's sight if fired at their vehicle. It can also be used to highlight targets, the tracers allowing team mates to see what is being aimed at.

Ammunition

Two types of ammunition are available; Armour Piercing Capped, Ballistic Cap and High Explosive. APCBC is the primary anti-tank round and should be used against all armoured targets. The HE shell isn't a large enough caliber to be useful at this tier, but it may be of use against light targets such as anti-air vehicles which the standard shell will over-penetrate and struggle to damage.

Pz Gr 39/42 (APCBC)

Penetration in mm:

10m - 160

100m - 158

500m - 134

1000m - 121

1500m - 109

2000m - 97

Sprgr. 42 (HE)

Penetration in mm:

11 at all ranges

8B4xhP2.png

Modules and improvements

As with any vehicle, FPE (Fire Prevention Equipment) and Parts should be the first priority. Adjustment of Fire and Elevation Mechanism should then be prioritized. They both improve accuracy of the main gun, which is the main selling point of this vehicle.

History of creation and combat usage

The Jagdpanzer IV was a tank destroyer based on the proven Panzer IV chassis, with several variants entering production and around 2000 built before the end of the War.

This particular variant, the Panzer IV/70 (A), was a stopgap vehicle ordered into production by Hitler as he demanded a version mounting the PaK 42 to be ready quickly, and Vomag's vehicle, the Panzer IV/70 (V), wasn't ready yet.

After experience gained in the Battle of Stalingrad, the Wehrmacht's arms bureau concluded that assault weapons needed to be improved. They demanded more armour, wider tracks, better ground clearance, a top speed of at least 26 km/h and a low silhouette. A new gun, the KwK 42 L/70, intended for use on the new Panther tank was chosen as the weapon for a new assault gun which would become the Jagdpanzer IV. A new chassis was planned but this was later deemed unnecessary, so the tried and tested Panzer IV chassis was selected.

Due to shortages with the L/70 gun, early models used 75mm L/43 and L/48 cannons. When the L/70 finally became available, a chassis still wasn't ready, so an interim vehicle was created by Alkett, one of the manufacturers of the StuG III. Instead of the later Vomag Panzer IV/70, which had a redesigned chassis, Alkett's vehicle had a new superstructure welded directly onto an unmodified Panzer IV chassis. This gave it a higher silhouette; it was 40cm taller than previous versions. It also wasn't as well-protected. The flat front plate of the Panzer IV remained, and the front slope on the superstructure wasn't as steep as on the Vomag model. However, the vehicle was more spacious inside. 278 were built from August 1944 to March 1945.

The Panzer IV/70 (A) served on both fronts, in Western Europe and on the Eastern Front. Only one surviving example remains, in the Musée des Blindés in Samur, France.

Edited by ReachForTheSky
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Great work

Comments:

1. Follow the format listed in the rules.

2. try to add some pictures to push the point of weak spots across, and how to best hide them.

3. slightly lacking in content to fill a whole wiki page. look at KV2 wiki page http://wiki.warthunder.com/index.php?title=KV-2

4. Remember battle rankings are subject to change so try not use them directly in the page

medal medal

Great work

Comments:

1. Follow the format listed in the rules.

2. try to add some pictures to push the point of weak spots across, and how to best hide them.

3. slightly lacking in content to fill a whole wiki page. look at KV2 wiki page http://wiki.warthunder.com/index.php?title=KV-2

4. Remember battle rankings are subject to change so try not use them directly in the page

Regarding points 1 and 3, I was following the format that I found under the TD example in the "Standards, Layouts and Templates" thread:  http://wiki.warthunder.com/index.php?title=Sturmgesch%C3%BCtz_III_Ausf._A

But I'll flesh it out if I have the time.

Regarding points 1 and 3, I was following the format that I found under the TD example in the "Standards, Layouts and Templates" thread:  http://wiki.warthunder.com/index.php?title=Sturmgesch%C3%BCtz_III_Ausf._A

But I'll flesh it out if I have them time.

I am just offering offering opinions on how to improve.

in its current state it looks much better then i remember, or it might have been 2am so i apologize if i was harsh.

it look really good by the way.

medal medal

Yeah, I did add some more after you posted. I appreciate the feedback!

I'm not completely sure what the term "Vormag" means, when you refer to the other Jagdpanzers in your article. Unless I'm the only person who doesn't know what it is, maybe you should clarify or use another word etc.

I'm not completely sure what the term "Vormag" means, when you refer to the other Jagdpanzers in your article. Unless I'm the only person who doesn't know what it is, maybe you should clarify or use another word etc.

its another manufacturer like akett

In 1881 Johann Conrad Dietrich and Paul Hermann Dietrich founded a knitting machine company in Plauen named ‘Strickmaschinenfabrik J.C. & H. Dietrich’. As early as 1885 the company traded as Vogtländische Maschinenfabrik AG, or VOMAG. It became a world leading machine maker, and from 1915 it moved into vehicle manufacture with the Regeldreitonner lorry of which more than a thousand examples were produced by the end of the First World War. The company continued to produce lorries, and later buses, until the world recession led to bankruptcy in 1932. The company was absorbed into VOMAG-Betriebs AG in 1933, and from 1938 traded under the name VOMAG-Maschinenfabrik AG. By this time its series production methods were gradually being replaced by assembly lines. Lorries continued to be produced until 1943, by which time they were powered exclusively by wood-gas generators.
In 1940 VOMAG was commissioned by the German army to conduct tank repairs, and to begin tank manufacture. VOMAG initially had six buildings for tank production but in 1941 expanded again with the construction of a huge ‘Panzerhalle’ which was finally completed in 1943. VOMAG initially produced the SdKfz9 heavy half-track and the Panzer IV Ausf F and then Ausf G. VOMAG became one of the largest tank manufacturers in the Third Reich. In October 1943 VOMAG produced a prototype of the Jagdpanzer IV in competition with Alkett and won the contract for its production. VOMAG was solely responsible for the standard Jagdpanzer IV (though Alkett later produced a hybrid version in small numbers) and eventually produced at least 1600 examples of all models.
Plauen and VOMAG were heavily damaged by an Allied bombing raid in March 1945. After the war VOMAG was dismantled by the Soviet occupiers.

Yeah, didn't realise it isn't obvious what the (V) stands for. I've adjusted it. thanks!

Sign in to follow this