bigbobthewhiteWT

The best anti tank gun of WW2 ?

The best anti-tank gun of World War 2 was an anti-aircraft gun. The German 88mm flak gun never met a tank it couldn't kill. That large shell fired at very high velocity made the 88 the premier tank killer of the war.

german88mm.jpg

• Upvote 20
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Krupp_K_44_2.jpg

German 128mm, anti-tank (and maybe an anti-all gun).

And yes, this is the gun of the Jagdtiger, the photo was the "normal" version and there were other versions, the flak versions was very different but deadly of course.

• Upvote 6
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

M1 240mm Howitzer.It destroys the tank, the trucks near the tank and the bridge the tank was crossing.240mm_howitzer.jpg

Or the good old 90mm M1/M2/M3.Best AAA of the war.

.732px-m7_director.jpg?w=527&h=647

digitalizar0002.jpg?w=700&h=381

800px-US_90_mm_gun_1.jpg

• Upvote 6
medal medal

The best anti-tank gun of World War 2 was an anti-aircraft gun. The German 88mm flak gun never met a tank it couldn't kill. 

Except for certain heavy-med tanks at range...

• Upvote 11
medal medal

The 88 L71 is probably the best. It was fielded with at least a bit of regularity. 

Kill anything the allies fielded at just about any range,

Accurate to hit anything that is spotted at any range; longest shot of the war was by a ferdi using the L71, around 2.5 km (some one I am sure has the exact number)

reasonably fast firing for a big gun.

The Russian 122 and 128 had bigger bangs and the 128 w/ pen but were very slow firing.

The 88 L56 lacks some pen need for late in the war (not counting rare APCR), though it does have a much higher kill count.

Panther L70 is definitely a contender, with huge range and good pen (without APCR it had some issues with some late war tanks) plus again a higher kill count.

US and Russian 75's were great in early war but faded quickly.

US 76 and Russian 85 were great but neither holds a candle the L71 when looking at gun capabilities and despite collecting lots of kills they couldn't reliably pen the Germany"s Panther frontally at a desirable range.

Outside of its limited use, only 4 vehicles and their variants used it (KT,JP, Nashorn, and Ferdi), the 88 L71 has no disadvantages or limitations in an engagement with any tank it could possibly meet.

Edited by Anubis_TD
  • Upvote 11
medal

..US 76 and Russian 85 were great but neither holds a candle the L71 when looking at gun capabilities and despite collecting lots of kills they couldn't reliably pen the Germany"s Panther frontally at a desirable range...

^ thats why you use a British 76.2mm gun  :Ps

The same ones that have more Penetration with APDS then a Tiger II with APCR

17pdr_apds.jpg

In-fact probs on the best penetration capabilities of the war

Because you know...

_██_
( ͡;© ͜ʖ ͡;°)

Edited by Crag_r
  • Upvote 11
medal medal

PaK 44. 12.8 cm. The Jagdtiger's gun. Although it used two part ammo and took awhile to load, it could punch through a house and destroy an American tank on the other side. That explains why the Jagdtiger, which is slow and has poor side armor, is put up against the very best Korean era tanks like the IS-4, M-47 and M103.

• Upvote 4

Outside of its limited use, only 4 vehicles and their variants used it (KT,JP, Nashorn, and Ferdi), the 88 L71 has no disadvantages or limitations in an engagement with any tank it could possibly meet.

It had a very important disadvantage.When mounting it,you either made a vehicle with almost no armor(Nashorn) or a overweight piece of crap(all the others).A gun that can't be mounted in a reasonably armored AFV with rotating turret and lighter than 50 tons is a bad gun for me.

• Upvote 3
medal medal

tumblr_ng4v3eaCuX1s5xm7ro4_500.jpg

I think this speaks for itself.

• Upvote 17

tumblr_ng4v3eaCuX1s5xm7ro4_500.jpg

I think this speaks for itself.

In theory this should win since any near hit would easily knock out a tank but the problem is you have to hit a tank.
  • Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal

So yeah, the humorous big, bigger, biggest of others in his thread brings me to my personal favourite: The OQF 6pdr.

In use by both the Commonwealth and the US Army it proved itself popular up to the end of the war.

Its lowly 57mm not withstanding improvements to ammo design meant it was a threat to nearly all armour unfortunate to stray within its reach. The reason it is my favourite over bigger, more powerful guns is that it be more quickly be brought up to defend newly conquered terrain against the ever counter attacking Germans. Small size mean it could also be fairly easily positioned, dug in and hidden. It did exactly what it should, in its very boring way: Protect the PBI from armoured threats when they were most vulnerable.

In theory this should win since any near hit would easily knock out a tank but the problem is you have to hit a tank.

Or worse, the enemy could be mean enough to bring TWO tanks. "Hang on a moment, Mr Sherman tank, while we reload and lay railroad tracks so we can point the cannon at you."

Edited by elmarby
  • Upvote 3
medal medal

It had a very important disadvantage.When mounting it,you either made a vehicle with almost no armor(Nashorn) or a overweight piece of crap(all the others).A gun that can't be mounted in a reasonably armored AFV with rotating turret and lighter than 50 tons is a bad gun for me.

Jagpanther was very mobile and very well protected for a WW2 tank, keeping in mind that it is a TD and should really only face the enemy.

Edited by Anubis_TD
medal

The best anti-tank gun of World War 2 was an anti-aircraft gun. The German 88mm flak gun never met a tank it couldn't kill. That large shell fired at very high velocity made the 88 the premier tank killer of the war.

german88mm.jpg

Nah...the 88 was an outstanding, versatile piece of ordnance with an absurdly high burst rate of fire, but it was hardly ideal as an AT gun. It needed a prime mover, a large crew, it had a large silhouette, making it easy to spot and the crew vulnerable, etc.. As far as German guns go, the Pak40 when it was fielded performed that role much better, unsurprisingly.

Edited by IndianaJones2
  • Upvote 2
medal medal

Layered defensive positions of 37 to 76mm guns probably killed more tanks than any of the 'big bore' anti tank guns on any front. Sure, those guns were not effective against either big cats or allied heavies, but those were few and most tanks died just fine from those small to medium calibre guns with the added benefit of beeing easier to hide, move and having a smaller logistical footprint and cheaper to produce making them much more valuble assets during the majority of engagements.

Don't have any specific favorite, though the german 3.7cm PaK 36 should be noted as it was influental to other designs too, like the american M3 and (via the 37mm Mod 1930 1-K) of the soviet 45mm M1937 53-K and with that many designs that came after it, even if the mentioned guns were outclassed and outdated fast.

medal medal medal

actually heard it was a competition between anti tank rifles and the 76mm guns that did the most tank kills.
tho will defend the Camel as best Anti tank gun in the desert, because no one expects a camel.

Edited by DemitriVritra

In terms of handling, silhouette, and performance of the gun, it's hard to argue with the PaK 40. Then again, the question itself is vague. If you're looking for the highest penetration direct-fire anti tank gun of the war, then yes, one of the rare and obscure German guns probably claims that prize. But for usability on an actual battlefield? Most of the major powers had a suitable solution.

medal

17pdr because it can fire APDS  :lol:

(And because British bias)  

Edited by Rekeers
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal

Ok guys it went  totally out of boundary, but I failed miserably to make the 1st post cause I can't make a poll....

explain me please, before I could do it easily! it's a bug?

And I would have clearly specified ONLY towed artillery pieces type ATG, no SPG, no anti aircraft gun or whatever....

Until I can make a poll, it's going to be *********.

Just to give you an idea, the best ATG for me are ZiS-2, Pak 40 or even 6 pdr and 17 pdr.  Flak 36 is out of context.

• Upvote 1
medal