Whelmy

Tiger drivers viewport

T9idyuW.png

Something that would have been closed in battle, has no armor value now. But we can see the internal firewall is 30mm now

• Upvote 9
medal

sekrit documints says otherwise

Seekrit dokumentz sez Tiger driver also saw full view of the blinding sunlight while in a tank battle

Needs dat Vitamin D and a slight tan xD
medal medal medal

The new improved armor for the Tiger. They opened the driver hatch so anything can shoot a HE inside. I was wondering what would be the new major fail of this patch, well, there you have it.

Also if you can't hit the driver hatch from distance there is bigger target now but it's armored. The MG port now has 40mm of armor....

Well done Gaijin :good: . Where's my credit card, I need to buy some GE. Oh, way, that's never going to happen again.

• Upvote 3
medal medal

Has anyone tried to see if it's really 30mm now?
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I have no words... This is just pathetic. Pure fucking example how biased they are. 

• Upvote 4
medal medal medal

Some info about the view port.

http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/140919-tiger-drivers-vision-port-in-detail/

• It should be closed in combat.
  • it should have some armored glass there.
  • the gap should be smaller.

Glass vision blocks were made from a number of layers of glass held in a Bakelite frame, and they had a slight greenish cast. The blocks were always held in black hinged frames on the inside of the vision openings just in case a stray bullet or piece of shrapnel managed to penetrate the thin vision slit in the armored flap. When operating in non-combat areas, the driver could quickly open the armor flap and remove the glass block to allow direct viewing and even enjoy a little fresh air. 

See how much smaller that unarmored gap is there. Which have armored glass.

tiger-visorthkkd.jpg

Armored glass from a churchhill tank. Tiger had similar.

Glass-from-inside-Triplex-Vision-Block-f

Hand wheel for closing the view port.

article-0-126C5232000005DC-28_634x458.jp

View port in closed position.

tiger-sichtblende-zulfux5.jpg

It needs to get fixed.

Or we will get something like this.

J8JP2je.gif

Edited by Epicolor
  • Upvote 13
medal medal medal

I'll ask again, has anyone tried to see if it's really 30mm now, or if it's a prob with the armor viewer. Is it too much to ask for someone to make sure it's really 30mm thick before going into a rampant rage?
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I'll ask again, has anyone tried to see if it's really 30mm now, or if it's a prob with the armor viewer. Is it too much to ask for someone to make sure it's really 30mm thick before going into a rampant rage?

If you hover over slit, it shoes firewall armor near back of tank
medal medal medal

It is empty. Not even 30mm. What you see is as 30mm is the engine fire wall at the back.

medal medal medal

Guys, what you see there is the inner armor plate separating crew from engine compartment and can be accessed in armor viewer through the driver slit.

Try to reproduce this view yourself and turn your view. You will notice the plate is in the middle of the tank.

medal medal medal medal

http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/227083-client-25032015-147922/?p=4374829

According to Smin1080p it is an armor viewer bug, only visual.

Im online now... (same name ingame) would someone like to make a custom and test this viewport armor?

Nvm, im testing it now... will post results asap

Edited by SuperEtendard
  • Upvote 6
medal

The new improved armor for the Tiger. They opened the driver hatch so anything can shoot a HE inside. I was wondering what would be the new major fail of this patch, well, there you have it.

Also if you can't hit the driver hatch from distance there is bigger target now but it's armored. The MG port now has 40mm of armor....

If you turn your hull to 40 degrees, like every good kitteh does, the MG port should actually serve as a strongpoint, due to the outward bulges overlapping. Also, there´s 100mm regular armor behind them - not that easy to penetrate if the machinegun cannot be shot through from a straight angle.

No comment on the driver´s viewport for now. Could be an oversight, a quirk in the armor inspector, anything really. Let´s not jump to conclusions until someone had the chance to test its strength in combat.

Could be an oversight, a quirk in the armor inspector, anything really.

Yeah, no. I've been telling people since October 2012 gaijin is as biased as wargaming but of course everyone was all "you're overreacting". You have your overreacting right here and now.

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal

Well, it seems that it is indeed a visual bug, as the view port doesn't have 0mm of penetration, it has an amount of mm of armor protection, although not very much. Probably it is that its the module's thickness (viewport's assigned thickness, not avaible in game now). I will keep testing so i can figure out what's the actual thickness of the module, results so far:

Rifle cal machineguns can't penetrate it.

.50 cal machinegun can't penetrate it. (more than 28mm)

20mm PzGr can't penetrate it.  (more than 37mm)

20mm PzGr 40 can't penetrate it. (more than 50mm).

50mm PzGr 39 can't penetrate it (more than 63mm).

Stuart's 37mm with best round can penetrate it (less than 79mm).

[spoiler] UhaaSJq.jpg

pX4wbM2.jpg

[/spoiler]

So, the armored viewport has an effective thickness between 63mm and 79mm of steel.

Will upload screenshots and replays soon.

Replays for the three tests, involving different guns:

[attachment=132222:Tiger test 7mm, 12mm and 37mm.wrpl]

[attachment=132223:Tiger test 20mm.wrpl]

[attachment=132224:Tiger test 50mm.wrpl]

Edited by SuperEtendard
  • Upvote 7
medal

Some info about the view port.

http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/140919-tiger-drivers-vision-port-in-detail/

• It should be closed in combat.
  • it should have some armored glass there.
  • the gap should be smaller.

Glass vision blocks were made from a number of layers of glass held in a Bakelite frame, and they had a slight greenish cast. The blocks were always held in black hinged frames on the inside of the vision openings just in case a stray bullet or piece of shrapnel managed to penetrate the thin vision slit in the armored flap. When operating in non-combat areas, the driver could quickly open the armor flap and remove the glass block to allow direct viewing and even enjoy a little fresh air. 

See how much smaller that unarmored gap is there. Which have armored glass.

tiger-visorthkkd.jpg

Armored glass from a churchhill tank. Tiger had similar.

Glass-from-inside-Triplex-Vision-Block-f

Hand wheel for closing the view port.

article-0-126C5232000005DC-28_634x458.jp

View port in closed position.

tiger-sichtblende-zulfux5.jpg

It needs to get fixed.

Or we will get something like this.

J8JP2je.gif

So in SPR the film the 45 can one shot the tiger? thats OP

medal medal medal

Well, it seems that it is indeed a visual bug, as the view port doesn't have 0mm of penetration, it has an amount of mm of armor protection, although not very much. Probably it is that its the module's thickness (viewport's assigned thickness, not avaible in game now). I will keep testing so i can figure out what's the actual thickness of the module, results so far:

Rifle cal machineguns can't penetrate it.

.50 cal machinegun can't penetrate it. (more than 28mm)

20mm PzGr can't penetrate it.  (more than 37mm)

20mm PzGr 40 can't penetrate it. (more than 50mm).

50mm PzGr 39 can't penetrate it (more than 63mm).

Stuart's 37mm with best round can penetrate it (less than 79mm).

[spoiler] UhaaSJq.jpg

pX4wbM2.jpg

[/spoiler]

So, the armored viewport has an effective thickness between 63mm and 79mm of steel.

Will upload screenshots and replays soon.

Replays for the three tests, involving different guns:

attachicon.gifTiger test 7mm, 12mm and 37mm.wrpl

attachicon.gifTiger test 20mm.wrpl

attachicon.gifTiger test 50mm.wrpl

I can confirm this. Protection of the viewport is somewhere between 63 and 79 mm.

medal medal medal medal

I can confirm this. Protection of the viewport is somewhere between 63 and 79 mm.

Well that's unfortunate - took quite a hit from 102mm when it was modeled with the hull armor

Looks cool though Edited by Der_Schumacher
medal medal medal

This means any tank you run into will be able to hit you....

medal medal

This means any tank you run into will be able to hit you....

Honestly, in the range of BR 4.7 - 6.7 (the ones the Tiger H1 has to face) any tank can already penetrate the front of the hull at the usual combat ranges (or they can't penetrate the viewport at all). Think about 85 and 57 mm guns (USSR) and 76 - 90 mm guns (USA) as the most common threat.

From far away, you can't aim for such a small weak spot anyway...

I don't know what to think. It's not historically accurate (since the viewport would be closed in combat situations), but here, people might hit the up armored viewport sides while trying to hit the tiny weak spot... which could be useful to increase that portion of the hull from 102 to 102+80 mm... that would be a nice tradeoff...

We'll see.

And by the way, the viewport is not affected by 76mm HE shells at all.

Edited by ohsi
medal medal medal medal

Honestly, in the range of BR 4.7 - 6.7 (the ones the Tiger H1 has to face) any tank can already penetrate the front of the hull at the usual combat ranges (or they can't penetrate the viewport at all). Think about 85 and 57 mm guns (USSR) and 76 - 90 mm guns (USA) as the most common threat.

From far away, you can't aim for such a small weak spot anyway...

I don't know what to think. It's not historically accurate (since the viewport would be closed in combat situations), but here, people might hit the up armored viewport sides while trying to hit the tiny weak spot... which could be useful to increase that portion of the hull from 102 to 102+80 mm... that would be a nice tradeoff...

We'll see.

And by the way, the viewport is not affected by 76mm HE shells at all.

German players have adapt and grown in skill, Take for example the Boxy Hull of the Tiger's... Skilled players know to angle the armor to avoid the bad armor design and the stupidly high BR that faces late war Tanks equipped with even higher penetrating APCR meant to fight mid-post-war tanks...

So we (german players) start angling the hull, then comes along Gaijin Listening to the repressed people having to face the Tiger onslaught and Then they Nerf the Turret to incorrect standards because its pretty difficult to angle a plate attached to the shooty bits....

Top Turret Correct Mantlet was in game at one point.

tiger%20turret%20armour.png

2hygr9.jpg

funny how nerfed the mantlet is... and its not an issue of "early" mantlet verse "late" mantlet because the Ausf E and Ausf H are pretty much Identical and don't get me started on the Porsche Tiger premium.

• Upvote 7
medal medal