Tauchpanzer III and IV

65 members have voted

1. 1. You want in the game?

• Tauchpanzer III
    • Tauchpanzer IV
    • none
    • both

Hi members!

I have a special idea to the German ground tech tree. This is two amphibious vehicle, Tauchpanzer III and IV.

"The were Tauchpanzer designed and converted for Operation Sea Lion the invasion of United Kingdom", but "they were first used in the invasion of Russia one year later".

"All the units during the invasion of Russia that were equipped with TauchPanzer are dealt with individually, and are as follows:

18.PzDiv III./PzRgt 18 –  3rd Kompanie
18.PzDiv III./PzRgt 18 –  7th Kompanie
18.PzDiv III./PzRgt 18 –  9th Kompanie
17.PzDiv II./PzRgt 39 –  6th Kompanie (formerly PzLehr Rgt)
14.PzDiv PzRgt 36 –  4th Kompanie
14.PzDiv PzRgt 36 –  8th Kompanie
10.PzDiv PzRgt 7 –  4th Kompanie
4.PzDiv PzRgt 35 –  8th Kompanie

3.PzDiv III./PzRgt 6 –  12th Kompanie (previously I./PzRgt 28)"

168 Panzer III (ausf F, G, H) and 42 Panzer IV (ausf D) converted to underwater version

"Extra waterproofing was provided for the engine air intakes, and the exhaust was fitted with nonreturn valves in place of the normal mufflers. The cupola, mantlet and machine gun mountings were all covered with a waterproof fabric. The driver's visor was made watertight by a special cover with a vision block. An inflatable rubber tube was also used to seal the turret ring. The air was drawn from the usual surface float."

"The gap between the turret and the hull was closed with an inflatable rubber ring, while rubber sheeting covered the commander’s cupola, the mantlet and the hull machine gun. The engine intakes were blocked with rubber seals, while the exhaust stacks were given non-return valves to prevent water reaching the engine that way. The rubber seals were fitted with explosive charges to allow them to be removed from inside the tank. In case the waterproofing failed the tanks were equipped with pumps.

Air was supplied by an 18m long flexible hose, attacked to a buoy floating on the surface, with a 1.50m air intake stack above the buoy. Maximum operating depth was 15m, and the tank was designed to stay underwater for no more than twenty minutes...Early in 1941 they were modified again. This time the long hose was replaced by a shorter 3.5m snorkel, to adapt them for river crossings."

Panzer III als Tauchpanzer:

early

Panzer-III-als-Tauchpanzer-1.jpg

Panzer-III-als-Tauchpanzer-4.jpg

later

Panzer-III-als-Tauchpanzer-25.jpg

Tauchpanzer-III-5.jpg

Panzer IV als Tauchpanzer

Tauchpanzer-IV-11.jpg

Tauchpanzer-IV-9.jpg

Tauchpanzer-IV-18.jpg

I hope this is a good idea and like others too.

Regard,

Thiky

Edited by Thiky
  • Upvote 7
medal medal

Open for discussion.  :salute:

ha ha ha, it would be funny to see them attach snorkels and drive underwater, although it probably wouldnt be very useful. would they be safe from bombs and gunfire under there? i bet they wouldnt be able to fire back, though.

they mustnt be allowed to stay under forever, just a few minutes, or else people will complain about hiding underwater tanks the way they complain about planes that fly away all match

unlucky for them if someone sees their snorkel and shoots holes in it

Could be good too, if these tanks don't working under the water, just as a simple tank expand the game.

Maybe working more time in the water or could be moving in the deep water too to granted time.

Edited by Thiky
medal medal

If you're mentioning these you should also mention Schwimmpanzer(s). There were 2 models - one based on Pz II and second based on Cechoslovakian LT-38 (Pz-38t). Both were equipped with floatation equipment.

Some photos: Schwimmpanzer 38(t)

[spoiler]

Schwimmpanzer38t_1.jpg

074Schwimmpanzer_38_t_.jpg

PzKpfw_38_t_with_floatation_equipment.jp

[/spoiler]

Schwimmpanzer II

[spoiler]

SchwimmpanzerII_2.jpg

SchwimmpanzerII_1.jpg

[/spoiler]

But in my opinion these vehicles (both Tauchpanzer and Schwimmpanzer types) would have to wait for ships to be implemented, so the mechanics of water and shores would be improved.

ha ha ha, it would be funny to see them attach snorkels and drive underwater, although it probably wouldnt be very useful. would they be safe from bombs and gunfire under there? i bet they wouldnt be able to fire back, though.

they mustnt be allowed to stay under forever, just a few minutes, or else people will complain about hiding underwater tanks the way they complain about planes that fly away all match

unlucky for them if someone sees their snorkel and shoots holes in it

Yes, they would be safe from gunfire, because shells loose so much speed when crossing water surface, that they would hardly do anything even after traveling just half a meter under water. You're probably used to WoT game mechanics (my apologies if this is not the case) where water has no effect on shells, not even HE.... Some scientific team tested how far from a soldier during D-day would have to hit the MG ammo for a soldier to stay unharmed and their results were quite surprising. They found this distance to be smaller than half a meter. In my opinion for a tank shells applies the same, but in addition in case of shells with explosive filling it can activate the fuse and the shell would in that case explode.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal

If you're mentioning these you should also mention Schwimmpanzer(s). There were 2 models - one based on Pz II and second based on Cechoslovakian LT-38 (Pz-38t). Both were equipped with floatation equipment.

and an other, just it was without weapons  :Ds

LWS (Land-Wasser-Schlepper)

DAM-268-L01.jpg

• Upvote 1
medal medal

and an other, just it was without weapons  :Ds

LWS (Land-Wasser-Schlepper)

If you want something without weapons here you got Schwimmwagen

[spoiler]

Schwimmwagen_command_car.jpg

[/spoiler]

If the other tank hit the rubber sheeting, then damaged or come off it. After this damaged these tanks leaks like others.

In action - River Bug, Patulin, Polesie Voivodeship, Poland - June 1941

A+german+world+war+2+colour+historical+i

Edited by Thiky
  • Upvote 1
medal medal

Pz4Tauch%205-18-18.jpg177b.jpg

This U-Panzer (right picture) belonged to the 18th Panzer Division’s 18th Panzer Regiment. This photo was taken during the crossing of the River Bug at Patulin on 22nd June of 1941. During the preparation for invasion of England – Operation Seelöwe (Sealion), Panzer III and Panzer IV were converted into submersible tanks able to travel on the bottom of body of water at the depths of 6 to 15 meters. From June to October of 1940, 160 Panzer III Ausf F/G/H and 8 Panzerbefehlswagen III Ausf E along with 42 Panzer Ausf. Ds were converted into U-Panzers / Tauchpanzers. After extensive tests and modifications U-Panzer were ready for action. Since Operation Sealion was never realized, Tauchpanzer IIIs and IVs were used during Operation Barbarossa (crossing river Bug at Patulin), in service with 3rd (6th Panzer Regiment) and 18th Panzer Division. It was also planned to use U-Panzers in never realized invasion on the island of Malta

Edited by Shinzu
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

17009578061_283542eacb_o.jpg

• Upvote 1
medal medal

Adding two early tanks that can drive a bit underwater isn't important to the game right now. Also if you've ever been underwater in war thunder you will know that it's glitchy badly made and there's no need to go there. Also they would have to create a ton of new gameplay mechanics just for these two tanks. No, sorry :/

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Adding two early tanks that can drive a bit underwater isn't important to the game right now. Also if you've ever been underwater in war thunder you will know that it's glitchy badly made and there's no need to go there. Also they would have to create a ton of new gameplay mechanics just for these two tanks. No, sorry :/

Could be good too, if these tanks don't working under the water, just as a simple tank expand the game.

Maybe working more time in the water or could be moving in the deep water too to granted time.

I think don't have to work so much like you wrote to these, just some modified tank model. Later could be develop more to this sinking system.

medal medal

Other remark, opinion, support?

medal medal

Yes please, I support both the III and IV.

Edited by NemesisActual
medal

I agree partly with igeticsu

At the moment there is no need to get em in, even thought they might have something. But atm, there is enough other stuff to do about the game without advancing the game mechanics for Dive tanks (fording able tanks).

But anyway, here a bit additional material for em.

medal medal medal medal medal

I'm with the guys above, there's currently no reason to have them in game and I doubt there ever will. (Unless for some reason Gaijin wants to add every possibly vehicle into this game)

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I'm with the guys above, there's currently no reason to have them in game and I doubt there ever will. (Unless for some reason Gaijin wants to add every possibly vehicle into this game)

There will be a reason... when Gaijin will introduce ships and they'll try to make a fusion of all 3 parts of the game: air, ground and naval forces :salute:

• Upvote 1

As far as I know Tanks won't see Ships out of obvious reasons. Tanks can't swim and attack ships, ships can't really attack tanks via direct fire.

But anyway, that would happen if and only start the op cry, at least that what I would fear, if Ships and Tanks end up on the same map fighting each other.

Edited by NO_DRAGON

As far as I know Tanks won't see Ships out of obvious reasons. Tanks can't swim and attack ships, ships can't really attack tanks via direct fire.

But anyway, that would happen if and only start the op cry, at least that what I would fear, if Ships and Tanks end up on the same map fighting each other.

Take GF map Jungle as an example (considering RB / SB mechanics - I wasn't talking about AB even in previous posts):

1. Where would tanks have to be to be spottable by ships?
  2. How far from coast would you see a ship from your tank?
  3. How would you make ships and tanks dependent on each other?
  4. What objectives would you include?
  5. etc. (it's too late...)

I think that nice example of how one of the possible scenario could look like:

• Scenario with one neutral island (possibly with airfield)
  • Every player spawns in ship / aircraft
  • 1st objective: cover the allied landing crafts - all destroyed = victory
  • 2nd objective: destroy enemy landing crafts - all destroyed = loss
  • When landing crafts reach the coast GF spawn becomes available and each team will get number of tickets equal to number of landing crafts that reached the coast (destroying a landing craft after 20 seconds of it reaching the coast would have no effect). These tickets would represent how many GF vehicles can spawn - 1 spawn = 1 ticket.
  • 3rd objective: Capture the base - would work the same way as in GF now. If there is an airfield on the island, whichever team is in possession of the base can use the airfield. Neither neutral airfield nor base can be captured / used by an aircraft.

Also could work as attack/deffence mode, with the difference that one team is landing on the coast possessed by another team. Defending team should have less "tickets" for spawning tanks than attacking team has landing crafts.

• Upvote 1

But back on track, this is about the Tauchpanzer and not what might be when ships arrive.

I am either guilty of a bit derail, so let this topic go back on track.

• Upvote 1

If I could fix a torpedo tube on it sure I am game...can't see where that might be of use....lol!

But I can see where that might be interesting.  On a Map where there is a river that would make bridges rather pointless to capture and open up new threats.  Not sure how hard it would be to incorporate shooting at a tank that's under water let alone detecting that its actually there--I guess hitting the snorkel would be bad for the tank--might give a tanks machinegun a real use