Heinkel280

British Panther "Cuckoo"

The British Panzer V  

623 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the British Panther "Cuckoo" added to War Thunder?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Panzer V "Cuckoo"

After the failure of the Arnhem Offensive, the British 6th Tank Brigade was engaged in heavy fighting with German forces, trying to gain control of the Dutch village named Overloon. While fighting, tankers of the 4th Armored Battalion entered a large barn only to find a fully operational Panther of the Panzer-Abteiling 2, Panzer Brigade 107.

UHxf1mx.png

The 4th Armored Battalion captured the early model Panzer V Ausf. G and after some modifications to its appearance (specifically the addition of an Allied insignia), put it into service. The tank was nicknamed "Cuckoo" and first saw service helping the artillery barrage on the Gejsteren castle, north of Venlo, on the Meuse River. After an infantry attack on the castle failed, the decision was made to bombard the castle with artillery. During the artillery bombardment on the castle, they found Cuckoo to be a worthy newcomer with its ability to shoot 75mm shells through selected windows with extreme accuracy.

jNOFOAz.jpg

After the assault on the castle, during operation "Blackcock", now south of Venlo. Cuckoo was deployed again, now joining in on an attack on the German town named Waldenrath. Cuckoo was noted as performed very well again with its mobility being especially noticeable compared to the 4th Armored Battalions Churchill tanks. A historian later wrote; "The road conditions were abominable all day, whereas the Churchill's and the Crocodiles, with no ice bars, slid into ditches at every possible opportunity, "Cuckoo" the Panther, eight tons heavier, trundled merrily along with no difficulty at all."

YB873Ts.jpg

Cuckoo's career ended during operation "Varitable". When the tank was heading towards the east of Kleve in Germany the fuel pump unexpectedly broke down, lacking a replacement pump the crew sadly had no other choice than to abandon the tank. He was never recovered. Cuckoo served with the 4th Armored Battalion of the 6th Tank Brigade from 1944-45

0IsH51p.jpg

The crew of Cuckoo

With the upcoming release of British tanks, Cuckoo would likely be an interesting Tier 4 premium with an astonishing history. The Battle Rating would likely be the same or slightly lower than the existing Panther Ausf. G considering it was an early model of the Ausf. G whereas the one currently in-game for Germany is a late model. The differences being that the early model still had the "shot trap" found in all Panthers leading up to the late model Ausf. G.

Sources

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/nazi_germany/Panzer-V_Panther.php

http://www.ww2incolor.com/britain/LastScan+131.html

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/panzerkampfwagen-v-panther-sd-kfz-171.htm#panther

Actual footage of Cuckoo (2:37-3:09) (Thanks FuryMkI!)http://www.britishpathe.com/video/tanks-2/query/Germans 

Edited by Heinkel280
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 92
medal medal medal

"The road conditions were abominable all day, whereas the Churchill's and the Crocodiles, with no ice bars, slid into ditches at every possible opportunity, "Cuckoo" the Panther, eight tons heavier, trundled merrily along with no difficulty at all."

I had to chuckle at this.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 29

it has a cute name and a good story, but some ppl seem to really dislike capture prem "copies"

That is true and while I can see peoples reasoning for disliking captured/lend-lease premium vehicles unlike most captured premiums this one actually saw some service, I really wish there was more out there about this tank.  8)s

• Like 1
  • Upvote 9
medal medal medal

captured tanks and aircraft that where actually used have all the reasons to be added +1

• Upvote 6
medal medal medal medal medal

+1 all the way

Historical anche documented and since there are other cases in the game this should be in too.

• Upvote 1
medal

I want it.+1.

Why cuckoo?

i bet they named it cuckoo because they found it in a barn, like a cuckoo pops out of its clock, er, well, maybe

• Upvote 3

i bet they named it cuckoo because they found it in a barn, like a cuckoo pops out of its clock, er, well, maybe

I wouldn't put it past them for naming it that just for that reason. It sort of works I guess.  :Ps

medal medal medal

I support any captured vehicle that was used in combat. +1 to you.

Would like to see it

I want it.+1.

Why cuckoo?

I like it, Great premium.

+1 all the way

Historical anche documented and since there are other cases in the game this should be in too.

Yes! +1

Thanks for all the support so far guys. :salute: I was actually just really surprised this tank hadn't been suggested before.

All the posts seem to be positive so far yet the poll seems to show mixed opinions on this.

Edited by Heinkel280
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal

I will support this if it, as well as all captured vehicles, have the distinct historical friendly markings on as default. If captured planes get stand out skins, then tanks should as well.

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I think it's too rare, and its service too short to really be applicable. It is interesting, but I think we'd see it too many times. Every battle would have one or two, and it'll throw off the historical immersion (I of course refer to sim and events).

medal

I think it's too rare, and its service too short to really be applicable. It is interesting, but I think we'd see it too many times. Every battle would have one or two, and it'll throw off the historical immersion (I of course refer to sim and events).

And what of the Tiger P? All they have to do is make it extravagantly expensive, like the Tiger P or early Super Pershing, and that will control the numbers.

• Upvote 2

Don't make the same mistakes as with planes!

Then it'd be Pz V vs captured Pz V matches...

:facepalm:

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal

Don't make the same mistakes as with planes!

Then it'd be Pz V vs captured Pz V matches...

:facepalm:

The difference between the two, and the reason why it's so BS with planes is because most of the "captured" aircraft in game were solely used for testing purposes, mostly those on the allied side. Hell this is obvious because of the bright, stupid skins most of them have. Tanks however often were used in combat mode when captured. That's why I feel no problem in supporting this, as well as a captured T-34, or captured panthers for the Russians. 

• Upvote 2