174 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see it in-game?

• Yes
    • Yes, but there are more important British bombers which should be added first
    • No (explain why)
  2. 2. If it were added, should it be premium or regular?

• Premium
    • Regular

The Vickers Windsor
Vickers_Windsor.jpg
The Vickers Windsor was a four-engined heavy bomber designed by Barnes Wallis and Rex Pierson. The first prototype flew on 23 October 1943.

Design
The Windsor was designed for a request for a high-altitude heavy bomber that could fly 555km/h at 9400m. It had a pressurized crew cabin and guns mounted in barbettes in the rear of each nacelle, which were operated by a gunner in the tail.
[spoiler]11549L-1.jpg[/spoiler]
The Windsor used Wallis's geodetic body and wing structure that Vickers had previously used in the Wellington. Instead of doped
Irish linen however, a stiff and light skin was used on the Windsor, made with woven steel wires and very thin (1/1000 inch thickness) stainless steel ribbons, doped with PVC or other plastic, specially designed to avoid ballooning. To properly fit the skin to the frame, a tuning fork had to be used.
The wings' structure had no spars. Instead, it was a single hollow geodetic tube from tip to tip, passing through the fuselage truss.
[spoiler]Windsor2.jpg[/spoiler]

Operational History
Only three Windsors were built, due to the Lancaster being suitable for the role which the Windsor had been designed for. The later prototypes, Type 457 and Type 461 were tested til the end of the war, when further development and production was cancelled.

Variants
Type 447
First prototype, serialled DW506, powered by four 1,315 horsepower Rolls-Royce Merlin 65 engines.

Type 457
Second prototype, serialled DW512, powered by four 1,635 horsepower Merlin 85 engines.

Type 461
Third prototype, serialled NK136, powered by four 1,635 horsepower Merlin 85 engines, armed with four 20mm guns in remote-controlled barbettes in rear of outer engine nacelles (a pair in each) aimed from the unarmed tail position. The guns were installed in 1945.

Specifications (Type 447)
General characteristics

Performance

Armament

• Guns: 4 × 20 mm cannon in remote controlled barbettes firing to rear (planned)
  • Bombs: about 15,000 lb (6,800 kg) of bombs

Blueprint and Photos
Vickers%20Windsor.GIF
Windsor_2.jpg
09465%20.jpg7024L.jpg
p640875979-3.jpg
Edited by Bomber_of_Bombs
  • Upvote 32
medal medal medal medal

Haven't seen it suggested anywhere yet.

Wasn't this plane suggested in "Expanded British Tech Tree" project thread?

Found the thread: http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/71754-the-british-techtree-project/

Windsor isn't in this tech tree. You're good to go.

Edited by Century
  • Upvote 1

Looks really nice and I'd love to see it in WT, but there are so many British bombers that did see service which should be implemented first that there isn't much of a point in the Windsor right now.

• Upvote 5
medal medal

looks like fair game for inclusion. as a prototyped machine that did not reach main production, perhaps it would be a prem? then again, the brit regular bombers line lacks much variety, so either is ok i suppose

• Upvote 3

GIB PLEAWSE.

yeah +1 from me :good:

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal

i like it, but what brittain really needs atm is faster and more manouverable med bombers with decent payloads xD

• Upvote 1

*cough cannonberra cough* 

nty hate jet gameplay, especially having my butt full of cl's mig 15's and common sabres xD

i like it, but what brittain really needs atm is faster and more manouverable med bombers with decent payloads xD

damn right 

2121L.jpg

• Upvote 4
medal

4000 lb cookie.

so only 4x 1000lb ? thats kinda weak tbh ^^ hate using cookies cus they are only good for basebombing and still wont kill a bas ein 1 hit

Looks really nice and I'd love to see it in WT, but there are so many British bombers that did see service which should be implemented first that there isn't much of a point in the Windsor right now.

Well it can actually defend itself, so it would be more useful that the Halifax or Stirling. Lincoln is better than all of them though.
  • Upvote 1

so only 4x 1000lb ? thats kinda weak tbh ^^ hate using cookies cus they are only good for basebombing and still wont kill a bas ein 1 hit

4x 500lb

• Upvote 1
medal

4x 500lb

even worse =_= compared to the 4x 500kg of the tu2's and 4x 1000kg of the do217's