Sign in to follow this  
Hunter12396

Panther Identification for Dummies

Have you ever wondered what kind of panther that is in that old photo? How can you tell? They all look the same right? Wrong! But don't worry, here's an easy guide to help you get to know your panther variants.

Ausf.D

The Ausf.D was the first production panther, it can be distinguished by it's lack of a hull machine gun, and it's cylindrical commander's cupola.

XkuKr4C.jpg

Ausf.A

The Ausf.A was the seond production version of the Panther, It was an improvement over the Ausf.D. It had a hull machine gun, and an improved cupola.

ctY4aCI.jpg

Ausf.D with Ausf.A turret

Not all panther were standardized, there were examples with hulls from one version, with a turret from another version. This example has a Ausf.D hull with an Ausf.A turret. It also shows a hull trademark of the Ausf.D and A, about two-thirds the way back on the hull above the tracks, it begins to slope downward.

UPfh5jF.jpg

Ausf.G

The Ausf.G was the final production Panther. It had a turret with a 'chin' that eliminated the shot trap on the Ausf.D and A. As well as a slightly different hull.

wdlGPyd.jpg

Ausf.G with Ausf.A turret

Many Ausf.Gs were built with Ausf.A turrets, which lacked the turret chin.

zLJYZSD.jpg

Ausf.G mit Schmalturm

A not-produced Panther Ausf.G with a Schmalturm turret. It is distinguishable from the Ausf.F by lacking an antenna, not having a muzzle brake (although in this photo the end of the gun is cut off), and lacking the metal shield over the gun mantlet; As well as other slight differences in the Schmalturm.

Qqu7bno.png

Ausf.F

The Ausf.F was the proposed 'ultimate panther' upgrade. It used an Ausf.G hull and a Shcmalturm. It is distinguishable to the Ausf.G with Schmalturm by it's antenna, muzzle brake, and slightly modified gun mantlet, among other slight differences in the Schmaturm.

YdnCnLQ.png

Panther II

The Panther II never had a turret built for it. It would have used a modified Ausf.G turret with a conical gun mantlet. When it was captured by the Americans they put a standard Ausf.G turret on it. There may be German photos of the Panther II without it's turret, but I do not know of any. The Panther II sits at the Ft.Knox Tank museum. It is visually similar to an Ausf.G, but is easy distinguished by it's suspension, which is the same as on the Tiger II.

53LsjoA.jpg

Ersatz Panther

Built to mimic an M10 Wolverine American tank destroyer, it was an abysmal failure. Five to Six Panther Ausf.Gs were made into Ersatz M10s.

A German tanker was once quoted as saying 'It won't fool any half-trained American soldier, except maybe if he squinted really hard and was quite drunk'.

It is easily recognized due to the modified profile of the turret, as well as the American stars.

frbXL8q.jpg

Edited by Hunter12396
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 12
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

It seems some panther G's didn't have the chin:

Panther G with I think an A turret

PantherG-3%20NachtsichtSperberFG1250.jpg

You can actually find a lot of panther G's without the chin

medal medal medal

It seems some panther G's didn't have the chin:

You can actually find a lot of panther G's without the chin

That's correct, here's an example of a Panther G's turret without the chin:

9iQeyH6.jpg?1

medal medal

Anyway, here's a really detailed image:

AusfG_late_mantlet_detail.jpg

I can do a topic like this for the Tigers. Need me to?

How can you tell?

I can tell because of the wheels and the tracks. Look at Panther tracks. They're special. Look at the tracks in that picture, they're so hard and tough, like the Tiger II's. Infact, the tracks and wheels on that thing are from the Tiger II.

Panther:

panther-ausfg1.jpg

Tiger II:

Tiger2-sSSPzAbt.501-France.1944-02.png

Edited by Abgeschossene
medal medal

Ok, All fixed

anyway, I think I've come across three different types of suspension, and that's confused me. I'm sure none of these are Panther IIs, and most should be Ausf.Gs.

Can anyone tell me about the reason for these different suspension series?

in/out/in/out/in/out/in/out

5V7mFwo.jpg

out/in/out/in/out/in/out/in

rbQtFNm.jpg

out/in/out/in/out/in/out

ivCY06Z.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rbQtFNm.jpg

This one should be removed though, due to it being changed.

http://i.imgur.com/ivCY06Z.jpg

This is a bad angle though.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/bNjM48]7087790073_88e71e7e23_o.jpg[/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/bNjM48]Panzerkampfwagen V Panther Ausf. G (Sd.Kfz. 171) späte Produktion[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/people/[email protected]/]Panzer DB[/url], on Flickr

You might find a picture like this, with all wheels rubber and one steel. Don't use this as a source, as this one is without the shock absorbers. Removing them would break that wheel, so they replaced it with steel.

medal medal

Removed from what?

what was changed?

don't use what as source for what?

you're not making sense to me?

The first picture because it's during repair, with some wheels removed.

Don't use the ones with the Steel rimmed wheel and the rest rubber as a source.

Anyway, I did a quick search.

It's in/out/in/out/in/out/in/out

PanzerV_Ausf.G_1_sk.jpg

Panther-tank_colorww2.jpg
medal medal

The first picture because it's during repair, with some wheels removed.

Don't use the ones with the Steel rimmed wheel and the rest rubber as a source.

Anyway, I did a quick search.

It's in/out/in/out/in/out/in/out

PanzerV_Ausf.G_1_sk.jpg

Panther-tank_colorww2.jpg

Yeah, I figured that out, and I know the correct pattern is in/out/in/out

but what do you mean source? source for what? they're just photos

Interesting.. I always thought they were 11 or 14.

The conversion was made by the demand of Otto Skorzeny and despite having letter signed by The "Fürher" himself that basically let him run things like he pleased, he only managed to get 5 Panthers and 5 StuGs for "Die Wacht am Rein"  that were later modified for commando operations.

medal medal

Sign in to follow this