How to fly in Sim with Mouse

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, Slothes said:

Thanks a lot! For me this is a temporary fix because soon I will be getting a joystick and TrackIR. This is the perfect setup if I wanted to continue using mouse though.

It's not. This setup will not allow you to fly inverted, and is useless in a dogfight.

You need to set MJS mode to "standard" (default is "simplified") to be able to fly properly.

medal medal

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2016 at 8:03 AM, FourGreenFields said:

It's not. This setup will not allow you to fly inverted, and is useless in a dogfight.

You need to set MJS mode to "standard" (default is "simplified") to be able to fly properly.

You seem to have an issue of commandeering someone else's thread to create your own pov which you clearly think is better than everyone else's.

Proof of Dunning Kruger right here.... 

Anyways Orange, the tips have helped me in every aspect as how to play in SB. I've had a joystick for many years, but I wanted to test out EC/SB and see what it was like, and it certainly helped me learn how EC/SB is played, and the objectives to help winning a game (because I sure as hell ain't playing for the full 4-5 hours). Since last year finding this thread, I've moved on but still have your .blk as the main, just tweaked.

+, your MEC guide is also just as good, and works excellently hand-in-hand here too.

• Upvote 1
medal medal

2 hours ago, Swagger897 said:

You seem to have an issue of commandeering someone else's thread to create your own pov which you clearly think is better than everyone else's.

If you cannot fly inverted, you cannot dogfight. If you cannot dogfight, the setup is useless.

I have tried his setup, and he did not set MJS mode to "Standard" but left it at "Simplified". On "Simplified" giving full right MJS will make the plane bank 90°, pulling up as much as possible will make you enter a 90° climb. A simple barrel roll and you will have severe trouble following.

Mind to tell my why that would be better than having a proper 2-axes JS (= MJS mode at "Standard")?

• Upvote 1
medal medal

Nice post op
But Why such high landing speeds - i know i mentioned this before but i see so many runway over runs in SIM EC its not funny.
As sim is not where you learn to fly a plane or land it.?

LOL 200 KPH for props? Wow for many thats 25-50kph too fast,
For many large planes like bombers than 50-100kph too fast
Eg,
FW-200-c1 landing speed = 130kph (full flap stall speed is only 95KPH so really should be landing (over the runway) at about 110kph
Spitfires Landing speed = 165kph

As for jets the same.
Canberra MK2/6 Landing speed = 185kph (not 300)
Vampire Landing speed = 190kph (not 300)

No planes need guns to stop when landed correctly
correctly = right speed + full flaps + proper decent path (glide slope)

So maybe make it
Landing Speeds
Biplanes/Sesquiplanes = 75-150kph
Prop Fighters = 150-200kph
Prop Bombers = 100-200kph
Jets = 150-225kph

Cheers

• 11 months later...
55 minutes ago, MH4UAstragon said:

How to eliminate excessive rudder wobble in planes, I wonder?

I notice it with almost every plane tbh.

The planes "wobble" (i like to describe it more as floating) on every axis.

That's because SB uses the same FMs as RB (and possibly AB), and they are adjusted to make the planes easier to fly by mouse aim which uses the rudder a lot.

The physics in WT will remain laughable until they do something about this.

As for how to eliminate, all you can do is learn to control the rudder more accurately.

Edited by HueHuey

53 minutes ago, MH4UAstragon said:

By having rudder controlled by pedals or anything else that isn't the twisty wrist thing of most joysticks.

If the problem still persists, it's a matter of fine tunings in the options.

13 minutes ago, HueHuey said:

The planes "wobble" (i like to describe it more as floating) on every axis.

I don't have this problem on a classic Thrustmaster T16000M. Must be some "sensitivity" problems. Be sure to keep this setting at 100%.

16 minutes ago, HueHuey said:

And that's because SB uses the same FMs as RB (and possibly AB), and they are adjusted to make the planes easier to fly by mouse aim. I don't think you can sideslip this much in real life.

While I can't say if this is correct or not, a major part of this issue still comes from the bad default trimming of planes, or the lack of it. And since most planes don't have trims on all axis, test flights are a must.

medal

33 minutes ago, Spoutpout said:

I don't have this problem on a classic Thrustmaster T16000M. Must be some "sensitivity" problems. Be sure to keep this setting at 100%.

It's not a problem for me either, but it doesn't mean WT models it correctly.

Aiming is hella easy in other sims by comparison.

I'll make a comparison video as soon as CloD accepts to run on this PC

Edited by HueHuey

9 hours ago, MH4UAstragon said:

I'd recommend messing with MJS rudder and rudder sens settings. Probably not going to eliminate wobble, but should be possible to reduce it a lot.

medal medal

• 1 month later...

Hi man! I know this is late, but first of all, nice guide. I finally able to fly my plane without it wobbles a lot. and i got some few kills now. However, I notice i could not do barrel role with mouse, instead i have to use my keyboard. So could you tell me what to change so i can do barrel role and others with my mouse? whenever I turn right or left the plane stucks at 90 degree, gotta use keyboard to make it 360. thanks in advance!

medal

5 hours ago, gstarq said:

Hi man! I know this is late, but first of all, nice guide. I finally able to fly my plane without it wobbles a lot. and i got some few kills now. However, I notice i could not do barrel role with mouse, instead i have to use my keyboard. So could you tell me what to change so i can do barrel role and others with my mouse? whenever I turn right or left the plane stucks at 90 degree, gotta use keyboard to make it 360. thanks in advance!

As I've said before, this setup is useless (maybe ok for heavy bombers). Not quite as useless as the default settings, but still.

Switch MJS mode to "standard" (default is "simplified, tovarish)))))))))))))))))", which doesn't allow for inverted flight).

medal medal

@FourGreenFields I switched to full control yesterday, I can't say that I noticed any changes in handling. Have you tested this and noticed any differenses?

I will go back to use stick and pedals pretty soon, I have to do something with my electric connections before i bother to do all the setup again.... MJ can be interesting to use on my small computer when travelling, so it could be of interest to know for for the future.

medal medal

2 hours ago, Senilix said:

@FourGreenFields I switched to full control yesterday, I can't say that I noticed any changes in handling. Have you tested this and noticed any differenses?

I will go back to use stick and pedals pretty soon, I have to do something with my electric connections before i bother to do all the setup again.... MJ can be interesting to use on my small computer when travelling, so it could be of interest to know for for the future.

Quite sure. Would be quite the miracle if they changed it.

medal medal

• 1 year later...

Hey guys,

first of all i´d like to thank theOrangeDoom for the turtorialvideo which helped me a lot!

I recently have started with playing SB. I am doing good while flying with the mouse, but i am really pissed off because of the vertical limitation you were talking about a view posts earlier.
Even after i turned off the instructor, I am still not able to do vertical manouvers because my plane keeps hanging in the air with its nose up -,-
Can you guys tell me if there is a solution for this problem? Otherwise i will buy a joystick to get this problem solved ..

i just read that i have to switch the MJS mode. THX for that.

Edited by Mr_Nice_1988

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I can fly pretty well with right hand using standard mouse joystick, with maximum rectangular stick box.

For looking, I use a standard PS4 game controller (any USB controller also works for PC) in my left hand only. It gives variable pan speeds, and does not interrupt my right hand on the virtual stick.

Also for left thumbstick, I have rudder control enabled with left trigger axis enabler, this gives at least an analog rudder control vs typical digital on/off keys.

If future WT had a feature for a rudder axis enabler, that would be even nicer, basically mouse joystick controls elevator & ailerons by default, but with the rudder mouse key enabler pressed, left-right on the mouse joystick controls gives fine rudder instead of ailerons. This would give a virtual mouse joystick the same treatment for rudder controls. Usually don't need rolling & yawing at the same time.

Edited by [email protected]