How to fly in Sim with Mouse

I tried sim battles for the first time today. I don't have a joy stick. This tutorial helped in some ways and am satisfied with the info.

I think my biggest complaint is like other have said, it takes a while to get used to. I'm sure its the same even with a joystick.

The huge learning curve and the amount concentration required sim is honestly quite a turn off.

I'm sad because of this since I really dont have a lot of time to dedicate myself to it in order to become good enough to actually enjoy it especially since that mode seems to add the most depth into the game. :(

Edited by Guest

I tried sim battles for the first time today. I don't have a joy stick. This tutorial helped in some ways and am satisfied with the info.

I think my biggest complaint is like other have said, it takes a while to get used to. I'm sure its the same even with a joystick.

The huge learning curve and the amount concentration required sim is honestly quite a turn off.

I'm sad because of this since I really dont have a lot of time to dedicate myself to it in order to become good enough to actually enjoy it especially since that mode seems to add the most depth into the game. :(

To be honest is this exactly what it makes better than the other modes. In todays gaming everything gets easier and easier and easier.

At the end of the last year I was somehow fed up with Shooter and switched to War Thunder and Simulation Games. Oh boy it was hard at the beginning. First kill after 2 Weeks playing the Sb everyday.
But what a feeling as the enemy was going into the drink. I litteraly was sweating and shivered with my hands.

The thrill is still there, not so intense but my heart is still beating like hell when I chase a enemy. This wouldn't be possible with a shallow learning curve. Everybody could do it.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

What Sheriff said above, basically, but I'll add this:

The learning curve is probably very steep at the beginning if you have no flight sim experience whatsoever, true. But remember, a steep learning curve actually means you're learning a lot in a short amount of time. After about ten to 20 hours of flight, you should be at ease when simply flying around or executing basic maneuvers, so you'll be able to focus on spotting some more. That's when I'd say you start to get some kills a bit more regularly.

At this point, if you have some RB experience, you should be able to put that to work, by using the same maneuvers you use in RB for energy fighting, start working on fine-tuning your aim, and in a few weeks you should be a decent SIM player.

Obviously, don't go at it with the grind, rp, and lions in mind. You'll get frustrated, you will most likely start with a negative K:D ratio in pretty much any fighter anway.

Start by giving yourself simple objectives, such as "take off, circle around the center of the map for 15 minutes at 2500m, then come back and land". All the while you try to keep your speed up, your inputs smooth, and look around to try and spot something, AAA, tracers, dots. When you so spot something, you might feel pressured to dive on it, pipper on the target immediately. Don't. Think RB, wait to be in a good position, check your six, then try it!

When you feel comfy with such an objective, up the difficulty a bit more. Take it slow. Every new thing you manage to do will feel awesome, I guarantee you.

• Upvote 2
medal medal

• 1 month later...

impossible, you stall in seconds because it uses max values

Play in SB with mouse/keyboard always needs a lot of tuning concerning the sensibilities of your command

Try to decrease (A LOT) the sensibilities in your parameters! For example, all my sensibilities are at 7-10%.

medal medal

Play in SB with mouse/keyboard always needs a lot of tuning concerning the sensibilities of your command

Try to decrease (A LOT) the sensibilities in your parameters! For example, all my sensibilities are at 7-10%.

but sensibility doesnt work on keyboards, it's either 0% or 100%

Can you can set it to incremental values and just tap the keys when in look/view mode ?

Edited by Rohnlex
medal medal medal

but sensibility doesnt work on keyboards, it's either 0% or 100%

Can you can set it to incremental values and just tap the keys when in look/view mode ?

Sensetivety =|= multiplier.

Sens adds a small lag to your input, smoothening it out.

My first flight in SB was KB-only. Took an Ar-2 out for a testflight, moved the annoying little white dot as far away from the centre of the screen as I could (obviously a mistake), and then tapped the keys really fast, to get about the right input. Was able to take off, and keep the plane in the air (as long as not trying to look at the map)

Enabling relative control for yaw, pitch and roll axis might be what you want though.

Also, I wouldn't use mouse look, I'd look around using qwes, relative control enabled, 25% rel. control step. Press e once and you look 45° to the right. Some don't like that for whatever reason though.

Edited by FourGreenFields
medal medal

Sensetivety =|= multiplier.

Sens adds a small lag to your input, smoothening it out.

My first flight in SB was KB-only. Took an Ar-2 out for a testflight, moved the annoying little white dot as far away from the centre of the screen as I could (obviously a mistake), and then tapped the keys really fast, to get about the right input. Was able to take off, and keep the plane in the air (as long as not trying to look at the map)

Enabling relative control for yaw, pitch and roll axis might be what you want though.

Also, I wouldn't use mouse look, I'd look around using qwes, relative control enabled, 25% rel. control step. Press e once and you look 45° to the right. Some don't like that for whatever reason though.

care to share you config ? or a screenshot ? :)

medal medal medal

care to share you config ? or a screenshot ? :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mfnpv6w5g64nv7u/FGF_MJScontrols.blk?dl=0
^Should be my MJS setup.
Not using it regularly anymore because I have a JS now.

[spoiler]Drop bomb on space + B, to avoid accidental bomb drops.

Boosters and airbrake both on H (no plane has both)

Roll is on A and D, yaw on Y and X (may need to rebind that to Z and X if you're using a qwerty KB)

MJS is square, big and with a small deadzone, but that's mostly personal prerence. You will probably need to adjust MJS sens to your liking,because it depends on the mouse and the plane alot.

MJS hardly controls rudder, so you may need to manually add some rudder to roll faster in some planes.

Throttle is on the mouse wheel.

Lower flaps on F, raise flaps on V. Toggle flaps is bad as you sometimes need landing flaps in combat (not really for turnfights though), or want to drop flaps gradually during landing.

Have not set up controls for seperate wheel brakes, but you won't need them in most planes anyway.

Trim is on the numpad. 8 and 2 for elevator, 4 and 6 for ailerons, 7 and 9 for rudder. Elevator also assigned to 2 thumb buttons on the mouse, but not sure if that is set up like that in the above config (was a while since I uploaded, may have changed since then).

Tap any trim button once for 1% change in trim.

Toggle engine is on shift right + I (to avoid accidentally turning the engine off).

Anything regarding MEC (Manual Engine Control) is on ctrl + whatever, but you don't want to mess with that yet.

Zoom on RMB. Mouse look activation and centering the view is both on MMB.

Q and E control view X-axis, W and S the Y-axis.

Head movement is on shift + QWESD.

Squad radio commands is on shift + T.

Tell me if I forgot any control.[/spoiler]

PS: Don't even try to stay on course with the MJS during takeoff. You'll need to use the KB, with MJS rudder this low.

• Upvote 1
medal medal

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mfnpv6w5g64nv7u/FGF_MJScontrols.blk?dl=0
^Should be my MJS setup.
Not using it regularly anymore because I have a JS now.

[spoiler]Drop bomb on space + B, to avoid accidental bomb drops.

Boosters and airbrake both on H (no plane has both)

Roll is on A and D, yaw on Y and X (may need to rebind that to Z and X if you're using a qwerty KB)

MJS is square, big and with a small deadzone, but that's mostly personal prerence. You will probably need to adjust MJS sens to your liking,because it depends on the mouse and the plane alot.

MJS hardly controls rudder, so you may need to manually add some rudder to roll faster in some planes.

Throttle is on the mouse wheel.

Lower flaps on F, raise flaps on V. Toggle flaps is bad as you sometimes need landing flaps in combat (not really for turnfights though), or want to drop flaps gradually during landing.

Have not set up controls for seperate wheel brakes, but you won't need them in most planes anyway.

Trim is on the numpad. 8 and 2 for elevator, 4 and 6 for ailerons, 7 and 9 for rudder. Elevator also assigned to 2 thumb buttons on the mouse, but not sure if that is set up like that in the above config (was a while since I uploaded, may have changed since then).

Tap any trim button once for 1% change in trim.

Toggle engine is on shift right + I (to avoid accidentally turning the engine off).

Anything regarding MEC (Manual Engine Control) is on ctrl + whatever, but you don't want to mess with that yet.

Zoom on RMB. Mouse look activation and centering the view is both on MMB.

Q and E control view X-axis, W and S the Y-axis.

Head movement is on shift + QWESD.

Squad radio commands is on shift + T.

Tell me if I forgot any control.[/spoiler]

PS: Don't even try to stay on course with the MJS during takeoff. You'll need to use the KB, with MJS rudder this low.

ty :good:

medal medal medal

ty :good:

Here is mine if you want to test something else (I'm using the control of the camera with mouse):

http://www.mediafire.com/download/6b3ud55cju1hbkj/settings+mousejoy+2.0.blk

Note: AZERTY keyboard

[spoiler]

Basic commands:

- Throttle on Z and S

- Rudder on A and E

- Ailerons on Q and D

- Fire all guns: left click

- Fire only machine guns: additional button on my mouse (on the thumb)

- Mouse camera activation: right click

- Rockets: F

- Bombs: Spacebar

- Radio orders: T for team, Y for squad

Engine managements:

Propeller on X and Alt

Radiator on MAJ and Ctrl

Mixture on O and L (I think, I'm doing this by memory since I'm at work)

[/spoiler]

But basically every MJS player has it's own config, you have to build your own depending on your personal tastes

Test the different configs available, pick what you like in each and create your own mix  ;)s

Edited by Centx
medal medal

Here is mine if you want to test something else (I'm using the control of the camera with mouse):

http://www.mediafire.com/download/6b3ud55cju1hbkj/settings+mousejoy+2.0.blk

Note: AZERTY keyboard

[spoiler]

Basic commands:

- Throttle on Z and S

- Rudder on A and E

- Ailerons on Q and D

- Fire all guns: left click

- Fire only machine guns: additional button on my mouse (on the thumb)

- Mouse camera activation: right click

- Rockets: F

- Bombs: Spacebar

- Radio orders: T for team, Y for squad

Engine managements:

Propeller on X and Alt

Radiator on MAJ and Ctrl

Mixture on O and L (I think, I'm doing this by memory since I'm at work)

[/spoiler]

But basically every MJS player has it's own config, you have to build your own depending on your personal tastes

Test the different configs available, pick what you like in each and create your own mix  ;)s

i have my own, i just couldnt figure out how to look around and still be able to control de plane without stalling

medal medal medal

• 5 weeks later...

also every SINGLE time I use to get up I ALWAYs crash to the right what am I doing wrong :( ?

also every SINGLE time I use to get up I ALWAYs crash to the right what am I doing wrong :( ?

Turning to the right on the ground, or rolling right when lifting off?
Stay on course using the rudder (yaw axis) while taking off.

And when lifting off, do not use much elevator. And "not much" is very little compared to what you're used to.

So After I Import It Does It Mean It Already Installed Or Did I Do Wrong?

Yes, that should've done it.

But switch MJS mode to standard (basic controls tab), else you can't do any proper maneuvers.

medal medal

I was experimenting 900 matches... and was quite good pilot with on low level fighters like 112 B0 and A6M2.

Mouse joystick standard and learning to fly it was game changing.

Also I found that "mouse surface" ingame customisation and deadzone was also important for woobling.

Also i put in a buttons for moving head left right for easy looking around.

So you pres C and X to lean right so, and C+Y to lean left.

Engine controls are on numbers on the right side of keyboard.

Q and E are a must for taking off (rudder). Pressing the button every o.5 sec to go straight.

You just have to remember after you IMPORT settings to use FULL REAL controls tabs (not basic)

Havent upload my file anywhere yet... but if you are in need for control set and ingame help just contact me on skype

b.posavec

medal

• 2 months later...

Do you get any real advantage of using mouse for sim compared to joystick?

Well, you "can" use the deadzone as a gunsight, allthough that isn't all that much.

And you can take the hand off the mouse without the control inputs centering, meaning you don't need trimming as much.

Either way, be aware that the MJS control setup of TheOrangeDoom is useless (allthough not as useless as the default setup). You can't do loopings nor fly inverted - you need to set MJS mode to standard (default, which Orange uses as well, is "simplified").

medal medal

• 5 months later...
15 hours ago, Aidan02 said:

is this ment to be the link because i cant install the config as there is no link to the install!

You have to "import config" (or something) when in the control setup in-game, then select that file.

Keep in mind that you need to set MJS (Mouse Joystick) mode to "standard" (which TheOrangeDoom refused to do) or you cannot fly inverted (which means you're not really capable of dogfighting).

medal medal