theOrangeDoom

How to fly in Sim with Mouse

Ok, so I've been flying in Simulator Battles for a good 4 months now, and I decided to make some kind of a tutorial for those who want to fly in sim but don't have a joystick and want to use their mouse instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBFSa8qv7FU&feature=youtu.be

To start off I am providing MY control config, and I am noting all the keybindings so all you need to do is to switch them up to your own personal liking.

Download the file and put it in your War Thunder file. Open the game, go to controls, select the small file icon in the bottom right corner and it will open the War Thunder install file. Just find my config and open it. Make sure to select Full-Real and not Mouse Aim.

NOTE: Make sure you save your config before loading mine!

SIM Config - theOrangeDoom.blk

SIM Config V2 - theOrangeDoom.blk

Basic controls: 

W Throttle Up

S Throttle Down

A Rolling Left

D Rolling Right

Q Rudder Left

E Rudder Right

Shift Elevator Down

Ctrl Elevator Up

F Flaps
G Gear
H Airbrake
B Brakes

V View Change ( whilst on runway )

C Mouse Look Activation

1,LMB  Small-caliber Guns

2,LMB  Large-caliber Guns

3 Drop Bombs

Fire Rocket

Y,Mouse Wheel Zoom

I Toggle Engine

So as you can see the majority of the controls are identical to the ones you would use in AB or RB. Now on to the controls I have modified to assist your flying.

Additional Controls:

RMB Mouse Look Activation

MMB Toggle Sight

Caps Lock Look Back

Spacebar Head Movement Up

R Head Movement Left

X Head Movement Right

All in all I think the controls are reasonably sleek and compact. 

Takeoff:

-Press I to turn on your engine

-Lower your flaps

-raise your throttle to 30% until you start rolling forward

-correct your heading by applying rudder

-Raise your throttle to 60% and 90% if your heading is allright

-Apply some elevator until the plane takes off

-Pull up your landing gear and flaps

Landing:

-Lower your throttle 

-Lower gear and flaps

-Touch the runway at ~200km/h ( Biplanes ~ 150km/h, Jets ~ 300km/h )

-Use brakes

-If necessary fire your guns to assist the braking

Spotting:

-Use AAA to locate your enemies

-Look for gunfire, dogfights and tracer fire to locate your enemies

-Use kill messages to locate your enemies

-It's a lot easier to spot someone above you than below you

Killing:

-More or less an individual thing so I can't really give you and tips, altho to make your kills swift and simple approach your enemy from behind and below them move up when the moment is right and a short and burst should do the job..

Flatspin:

-Do NOT touch your ailerons

-Apply rudder to the opposite direction of the spin

-Throttle to 0%

-Apply negative Elevator

-Wait

-The plane will start do dive

-Now it's time to use your ailerons and slowly pull out of the dive

Post FX Settings:

-By setting the Tone Mapping Reinhard you can make spotting slightly easier

I think that pretty much wraps things up and it should help some of you. If I have made any mistakes please feel free to correct me bellow.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! 

Edited by theOrangeDoom

weetle (Posted )

Moved to simulator battle discussion and pinned for general usefulness.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 27
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Moved to simulator battle discussion and pinned for general usefulness.

• Upvote 2
medal

What i just find problematic in SIM is the fact that:

1- While trying to aim at a target the planes "wobble" (vibrates) a lot so i cannot land a good hit on anything even if it's standing on the ground. (is it my problem ? is it SIM that makes that because it's real? )

2- I don't understand almost 50% of the controls-slide bars on the full real tab ... is there a guide anywhere ?

medal medal

http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/166034-frb-settings-for-people-who-use-only-mouse-and-keyboard/     here I created very usefull settings but was not able to make tutorial 

I think that the setting were changed in the last patch because with this one i have problem flying with the file you've uploaded. Can you re-upload your config file please ?

Edited by Bearminator
  • Upvote 1
medal medal

What i just find problematic in SIM is the fact that:

1- While trying to aim at a target the planes "wobble" (vibrates) a lot so i cannot land a good hit on anything even if it's standing on the ground. (is it my problem ? is it SIM that makes that because it's real? )

2- I don't understand almost 50% of the controls-slide bars on the full real tab ... is there a guide anywhere ?

1. You might wanna play with sensitivities, until you reach the perfect one for a specific plane.

2. Most of the controls such as ( full engine, trim, ect. ) are rather useless if you just want to play for fun.

It depends of course of your mouse, some are way more sensitive than others.

Try to decrease the sensitivities in game.

medal medal

How apply rudder with the keyboard at the take off? in the video are very smooth, i just bouncing from left to right

You apply rudder with mouse joystick and how much?

I apply rudder with keyboard input only ( Q and E ) I've lowered the mouse joystick rudder sensitivity because it's not useful.

As for how much I apply, I tap the keys, so really small input :)

This was a great help. Now I can fly around in sim and get the occasional assist and ground kill with just mouse'n keyboard!

Practice makes master. I've only been using mouse aim for like 5 or 6 months and I'm already up to 500 kills :D

Allright, flying a Hurricane Mk I doesn't help increasing the chance to actually kill something, but the problem is that for some reason there's a flight instructor making vertical manouvres impossible by automatically trying to make you fly level with your ailerons and elevators during any kind of loop, immelman, yoyo, rope-a-dope, ...

So usually I lose my target after a single attack and I violently vibrate myself out of a spin after instructor rapes my vertical manouvres.

Allright, flying a Hurricane Mk I doesn't help increasing the chance to actually kill something, but the problem is that for some reason there's a flight instructor making vertical manouvres impossible by automatically trying to make you fly level with your ailerons and elevators during any kind of loop, immelman, yoyo, rope-a-dope, ...

So usually I lose my target after a single attack and I violently vibrate myself out of a spin after instructor rapes my vertical manouvres.

You should turn the instructor off

Uninvert your Y axis mate, helps a lot if you're coming in from AB or AB+

Well if you're going to fly with mouse "joystick" you might as well get the feeling of how a joystick would work, if you are to buy one in the future.

How do I use the .blk file you attached? Also, I'm on mac.

Put the blk in a file, or on your desktop

Open the game, open your parameters

On the bottom left of the window, you have some icons
One of this icons allows you to load a saved blk file. Search for it, load it ans enjoy !
medal medal

Put the blk in a file, or on your desktop

Open the game, open your parameters

On the bottom left of the window, you have some icons
One of this icons allows you to load a saved blk file. Search for it, load it ans enjoy !

I hate asking all these questions because they're probably obvious but where are the parameters located?

Edited by starboy4356