Sign in to follow this  
Lionus

SAI-Ambrosini SS.4

Since US and Japan have their own prototype pusher designs, this one could be a match for the XP-55 Ascender.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrosini_SS.4

Data from Italian Civil and Military Aircraft 1930-1945[1]

General characteristics

• Crew: 1
  • Length: 6.74 m (22 ft 1 in) [2]
  • Wingspan: 12.32 m (40 ft 5 in)
  • Height: 2.49 m (8 ft 2 in)
  • Wing area: 17.5 m2 (188 sq ft) [2]
  • Gross weight: 2,449 kg (5,400 lb)
  • Powerplant: 1 × Isotta-Fraschini Asso XI R.C.40 V-12 liquid-cooled piston engine, 720 kW (960 hp)
  • Propellers: 3-bladed metal pusher propeller

Performance

• Maximum speed: 571 km/h; 308 kn (355 mph)
  • Stall speed: 110 km/h (68 mph; 59 kn) [2]
  • Armament was to be two 20 mm (0.787 in) cannon and one 30 mm (1.181 in) cannon, clustered in the nose.

• Upvote 4

Maybe you should find data from other sources instead of Wikipedia because it's not really well accepted in this community.

And add some pictures to your post too, to make it look interesting :salute:

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal

I tried adding photos but it said I can't use that photo extension, whatever that means..  :dntknw: I'll look into finding more data of this obscure yet beautiful aircraft. :yes:

[1] SAI-AMBROSINI S.S.4

* The Italians were the first of the participants in World War II to build a canard combat aircraft, the SAI-Ambrosini "S.S.4". Italian aircraft engineer Sergio Steffanutti had become interested in canard aircraft in the 1930s, developing a lightweight flight demonstrator designated the "S.S.2" that performed its initial flight in 1935. Two S.S.2 prototypes were built, with the second later converted into a two-seater. The S.S.2 seemed promising to the Regia Aeronautica (Italian Air Force), and so Steffanutti worked with manufacturing firm Societa Aeronautica Italia Ing Ambrosini to scale up the design into a combat fighter, which Steffanutti labeled the "S.S.4".

A single prototype was built, performing its initial flight with test pilot Ambrogio Colombo at the controls on 7 March 1939, months before the outbreak of war. The S.S.4 was a neat, all-metal aircraft with a retro-future science-fiction appearance, featuring a foreplane on the nose, a rear low-mounted wing with a swept leading edge, a tailfin in the middle of each wing, and retractable tricycle landing gear.

avcanfit_02.png 

The machine was powered by an Isotta Fraschini Asso IX RC.40 liquid-cooled vee-12 engine with 175 kW (960 HP), mounted behind the cockpit and driving a three-bladed variable-pitch pusher propeller. There was an engine inlet scoop on either side of the fuselage, just behind the cockpit. Sources differ on the armament configuration -- some sources claim two 20 millimeter cannon and a single 30 millimeter cannon, but that was unusually heavy armament for an Italian fighter of the time and a more plausible fit was two 12.7 millimeter Breda machine guns and a single 20 millimeter cannon, all fitted in the nose. Pictures show the Breda machine guns fitted, but the port for the cannon left empty.

SAI-AMBROSINI S.S.4:
   _____________________   _________________   _______________________

spec                    metric              english

wingspan                12.32 meters        40 feet 5 inches
   wing area               17.5 sq_meters      188.4 sq_feet   
   length                  6.74 meters         22 feet 2 inches
   height                  2.48 meters         8 feet 2 inches

empty weight            1,800 kilograms     3,968 pounds
   normal loaded weight    2,446 kilograms     5,392 pounds
   max speed at altitude   540 KPH             335 MPH / 290 KT

The program came to an abrupt end the next day, 8 March, when Colombo took the machine up for a second flight. An aileron malfunctioned and Colombo tried to set the machine down in available open space; he ran into a tree and was killed, with the aircraft totaled. There was some consideration of building a second prototype, but it didn't happen. The initial flight had not demonstrated any particular superiority to fighter aircraft of conventional configuration, and there had been increasing misgivings about the project anyway. How was the pilot to bail out, for example, without getting chopped to pieces by the rear-mounted propeller? There were also concerns about engine cooling, rearward view, and that the engine would crush the pilot if the aircraft ran into something on the ground. Steffanutti went on to develop lightweight fighter aircraft of conventional configuration.

Canard3.jpg

Canard4.jpg

Edited by Lionus
  • Upvote 3

Its been pretty much confirmed as a fake unfortunately.

Yep, now I know. Sorry, my fault.
  • Upvote 1

On 10/11/2017 at 4:40 PM, pokenaut7 said:

This thing had 2x 20mm and 1x 30mm

This was one of the PROPOSED armaments. But A) it appears to be VERY optimistic, and B) in game, it would probably doom the plane to a higher BR where its performances couldn't keep up. 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

13 hours ago, Redberseker said:

The right armament is 2 x 12.7 and 1 x 20mm.  

The point is: which is the 20mm cannon to install?

I am not aware of a genuine italian 20mm cannon for aircraft use, although there could have been project for that in design phase.

From game perspective, the 3x12.7mm solution seems the easiest solution.

• Confused 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

4 hours ago, cfracas said:

The point is: which is the 20mm cannon to install?

I am not aware of a genuine italian 20mm cannon for aircraft use, although there could have been project for that in design phase.

From game perspective, the 3x12.7mm solution seems the easiest solution.

The 2 x 12.7 and 1 x 20mm at the center was definitve, not only projected in design phase.

The three cannons configuration was the solution suggested in the design.

Edited by Redberseker

1 hour ago, Redberseker said:

The 2 x 12.7 and 1 x 20mm at the center was definitve, not only projected in design phase.

The three cannons configuration was the solution suggested in the design.

Let me rephrase my question: which is the 20mm cannon to be mounted in the center?

14 minutes ago, cfracas said:

Let me rephrase my question: which is the 20mm cannon to be mounted in the center?

Data sheet will reveal which was. I think was a Mauser.

Anyway, this is the source.

s-l400.jpg

Edited by Redberseker

3 minutes ago, Redberseker said:

Data sheet will reveal which was. I think was a Mauser.

Anyway, this is the source.

s-l400.jpg

Always good to have a book to get information from, but I still see an inconsistency between SS4 and Mauser MG151: the Ambrosini SS4 flew in 1939, a bit too early for MG151. Please check if the information about first flight in 1939 is confirmed in book you posted... I had to rely on information on the web.

Sign in to follow this