Sign in to follow this  
AtomicPope

FI-T rounds

I'm flying mostly Germany and Japan these days and find the FI-T rounds performance rather underwhelming. It's literally a night and day difference once you unlock 20mm belts for the later A6M where stock belts only contain FI-T and no HE/HEF. MG FF(not /M) is lackluster too and stealth which coesn't contain FI-T seems to work best.

Are FI-T in other nations equally underwhelming? And does the rather large discrepancy in effectiveity between HE/HEF and FI-T have a basis in reality?

medal

If I'm not mistaken you will not find as much FI-T in other nations' belts as you'll find in Germany's in particular, but I can safely say that the Soviet non-VYa 23s are actually good enough when stock, which is a 50/50 mix of IIRC AP-I and FI-T. Their air target belts are also full of FI and those have worked well for me no problem.

On 20mm guns i don't know many if any FI-T rounds which are actually that worth having.  I'm not sure if they are supposed to be so weak, if they only work in conjuncture with working HE rounds, or if they are just broken, but in general they are really pretty horrible.

If I'm not mistaken you will not find as much FI-T in other nations' belts as you'll find in Germany's in particular, but I can safely say that the Soviet non-VYa 23s are actually good enough when stock, which is a 50/50 mix of IIRC AP-I and FI-T. Their air target belts are also full of FI and those have worked well for me no problem.

I have heard that the soviet FI-T rounds strictly on the NR-23 cannons or similar (IL-10 1946, La-9, Yak-9P/UT, Mig-9, Mig-15 etc) are basically like "Russian Minengeschoß", so strictly speaking they may not be comparable to other FI-T rounds at all.

It makes sense as absolutely none of the NR-23 ammo belts actually feature "HE" ammo by description ingame, instead the FI-T rounds are basically HE rounds.  

So confuse. 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I have heard that the soviet FI-T rounds strictly on the NR-23 cannons or similar (IL-10 1946, La-9, Yak-9P/UT, Mig-9, Mig-15 etc) are basically like "Russian Minengeschoß", so strictly speaking they may not be comparable to other FI-T rounds at all.

It makes sense as absolutely none of the NR-23 ammo belts actually feature "HE" ammo by description ingame, instead the FI-T rounds are basically HE rounds.  

So confuse. 

I don't know what they are or how they work, this kind of Soviet munitions is not something I know much if anything about. I just know they're labelled FI in the game and work surprisingly well.

By surprisingly well I mean they make me take the 23 on my 9UT over the 37 or 45 in RB and back when I was ecksperimentink with my MiG I found them to be pretty neat too.

So confuse. 

I wonder if the MG FF FI-T are supposed to be some sort of HE ammo too, I would have guessed that the cannon would have something similar compared to the japanese HEF rounds, but they only round with any HE is APHE from my knowledge.

medal

I wonder if the MG FF FI-T are supposed to be some sort of HE ammo too, I would have guessed that the cannon would have something similar compared to the japanese HEF rounds, but they only round with any HE is APHE from my knowledge.

In order to figure out what the hell they're supposed to be doing we'd have to know the IRL ammunition type the rounds in WT are based on, and I don't think I've ever seen information about that on the forums.

Digging for a few minutes on the internet showed me that there's supposed to be a HE(or HEF) round which contains 4g HE at 138g projectile weight which pops up at several sites, but I found no real list of MG FF rounds or real sources so there's that.

The picture below indicates that there were HE shells for the MG FF, at 1.) "2cm Sprengranatpatrone L-Spur-FF (134g)"

"The projectile of this cartridge is provided with fuze and explosive charge and explodes shortly after impact on target or desintegrates after a set distance of 750m" -could be the ingame FIT round?

2. seems to be a practice shell with tracer(solid shot where the documentation states that it works well against armored parts like fuel tanks, armored headrest...sounds like an AP-T round.

3. is a solid practice round without tracer which is used only when adjusting the gun according to documentation.

Below is info about the MG FF/M.

Then again it's just a pic I found on image search so yeah.

full-19638-8568-mgff2.jpg

Edited by AtomicPope
medal

Sign in to follow this