Fins_FinsT

F1 WT: Fins' hangar (ангар Финса) - english/русский

190 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! Всем привет! :)

WORK IN PROGRESS

WTRC: War Thunder's Racing Club

What it is: WT racing club are just players who love air racing and gather together every week to race together in Custom Battles mode.

When it is: starts every Sunday 15:00 GMT (except Sundays which have official racing event happening). Lasts to ~18:00 GMT, may vary.

Difficulty mode: AB and RB. Alternating between the two from one week to another, but same difficulty mode for all races during every particular Sunday.

Planes allowed: any. You can race in your jets if you like, feel free to fly biplanes, bombers, exotics, etc! If you just want to fly some racing courses that is.

Planes participating in filed competition: will be announced for each next sunday specifically.

Difficulty mode for for Sunday July 23rd: AB

Competing planes for Sunday July 23rd: all and any rank 2 planes

Race track for Sunday July 23rd: Guiana Highlands

Number of laps per race: 2 (note: you will have to fly all the way back to the start of the track to start 2nd lap)

History: further old contents of this post, with broken "spoiler" structure after this forum's spoiler tags were re-designed:

I am one of best racing pilots of War Thunder, being the ultimate winner of the Formula-WT championship, winner of the Halloween race 2014 (back then, victory was based on amount of silver won), winner of the April 2015 race, prize winner of SV's "fastest virtual pilot" competition in Simulator Battles mode, etc. This is my personal topic about all things racing, where i speak in both english and russian. Welcome!

Please, remember: you can always use translator such as google translator or similar, if you'd want to find out what is being said in different language.

Я - один из лучших пилотов в гоночном режиме War Thunder, судя по результатам: победа в чемпионате Формула-WT с подавляющим преимуществом, победа в гонке на Хэлоуин 2014 (тогда по серебру победу определяли), в гонке в апреле 2015 года, призёр гоночного конкурса "самый быстрый вирпил" в СБ (жаль лишь к последней гонке узнал о нём!), и т.д. Это моя тема на форуме, где я пишу о гонках и по-русски и по-английски. Добро пожаловать!

Прошу всех помнить: вы всегда можете воспользоваться переводчиком, например гугловским, чтобы перевести что-то с английского на русский.

If you want to know how i do it - well, there is my guide about racing in RB, which has some minor errors, but remains mostly correct to this day; it is in russian, but you can google translate, and there are few things in engish in it, too.

Если непонятно, "как" это я побеждаю всех да ещё и с отрывом - то вам сюда: в "лётном училище" разместили моё руководство по гонкам в РБ, в нём есть некоторые ошибки, но в общем оно до сих пор верно. 

Spoiler

Moderators, please read this 1st:

I have requested advice about whether i can create dual-language topic, through few PMs, and one of moderators pointed me to this subforum, saying i can do it here.

I do not see forum rules prohibiting it.

The reason to do it dual-language - is because i am tired having to check _both_ english and russian forums, and i want a little place i can call home for all matters racing, in WT. As i am ultimate winner (i recon) of the 1st Formula WT 4-weekends event, i hope i can have this wish come true. Please advice if there is anything specific i must or could do in order to keep this topic one nice and great place for others to read, be they english or russian speaking. I am willing to go quite some lengths for this. Any moderators' advice will be respected and appreciated by me.

First Formula War Thunder event is complete. It was difficult to win it, especially with such a massive lead - and no doubt, good measure of luck was significant part of my success. As promised, first of all, i share my replays (update: note that in 1.45, those replays were rendered obsolete - can't watch them anymore; i still keep them in hope that some day, backwards compatibility for replays will be implemented):

There are 3 sets of my replays, pick one(s) you want.

Set #1: full set of 158 replays from all 4 races of the event - available here (direct link - slower download: here ). It contains everything - including replays from following two sets. All replays have prefixes to them:

The second set is 9 replays - those are my fastest laps of all 4 races of the event, both with and without dive, and also fastest track times. To my knowledge, at least most of those - are fastest lap/track times of the whole event, as i didn't see any pilot going as fast as i eventually managed to go. And i raced against all fastest pilots out there, considering official lap times. Two important notes:

As you can see in 3 of 4 fastest-dive replays, i've done them all in Ki-84 - this is because both Cobras and Yak-3 have big troubles with elevator/eilerons lock at high (650+) speeds. Ki-84 has it WAY less - i guess because it uses hydraulic force amplifiers. This makes Ki-84 the undisputed king for diving laps; as you can see in "training" replays from the full replays set, i've done diving laps with cobras and Yak-3 when training, but results were noticeably worse than Ki-84's. Naturally, i desired to guard this knowledge while the event lasted, to reduce fast lap competition! ;)

And here's one special thing i've used to do those amazingly fast diving laps: the mass effect. You know the game, right? It's different. :) I invented this WT mass effect for WT races even before F1 race 1 weekend, and i kept it secret - until now, that is. Never told anyone, but now with replays out, some people will surely figure out - so i tell everyone how it works!

It's simple. The _mass_ of the plane affects its acceleration and handling. The less plane's mass is - the faster lap the plane can do. Now, part of the mass of the plane - is fuel onboard. We can't reduce the amount at the start of the race. However, we _can_ burn unneeded fuel _during_ the run! See, very simple. I am amazed that noone (apparently?) figured it out other than me!

Each run is set to last 30 minutes tops. Ki-84, very conviniently, has minimum fuel load of 30 minutes! That's why you see me having Ki-84 going full WEP for 20+ minutes in those 3 stage-fastest-lap-dive replays - i burn fuel, to produce the mass effect! ;) Note, not all planes are able to do so without overheating; Ki-84, in particular, needs to get to some solid altitude (it's colder there), and i was using 100% open radiator, closing it only before starting the dive. By my estimate, this effect by itself is responsible for ~5 kmh speed gain average around the track, and you can see that comparing speed in the end of my mass effect dive laps - and in the end of regular no-dive laps. This means nearly 1% higher speed, - i.e. nearly 1% less lap time or so. On track2 reversed, the dive lap being some ~2:30, i.e. 150 seconds, - this means nearly 1,5 seconds lap time reduction. On shorter track 1 - some ~1 second lap time reduction.

P.S. And at the level of competition Rider2, JiyuBanzai, Viking and few others were at, getting 1...1,5 seconds shorter lap by any other means - is quite very impossible, because they are already using pretty much everything they can. And while there are other things which make me faster than they are (such as flying mouse joystick as opposed to mouse aim and many other, smaller things - which together produce much bigger gain than even this mass effect), - still, this mass effect which i used - provided the edge i needed. The edge to make very best laps with just that last bit of time i needed to remain quite very untouchable. I had not enough time to practice diving laps for the race2, and that's why i only tried diving laps during it few times (amazingly each time successfully, improving the result further and further). The 42:05 lap was the best at the time of its making, but during last couple hours, Rider2 and Jiyubanzai managed to beat it. I decided not to risk high rating position in order to improve mine.

The third set is 19 replays where i fly "other" (than two best cobras and Ki-84) planes, with good results in terms of finish place (and not so bad lap times, i hope). Note:

In total, i raced more than a dozen different planes (as those replays demonstrate - don't forget to add Ki-84 and cobras to planes in this set), and this proves that most of them can compete even with good pilots in fastest planes, at least sometimes - IF the pilot flies well. Note, all those are far from best possible in those planes, as it takes many _dozens_ runs to adapt to a particular craft - which i didn't do. The only dishonorable exception is, of course, Zero... It is just TOO slow. %)

There is still much i can and am willing to share about racing, but i'll take a break: making this post was time-consuming. Please feel free to ask whatever you want to ask me about WT racing, and if i can, i will answer. Cheers!

Вот и завершилась первая Формула War Thunder. Победить, тем более с таким преимуществом, было непросто. Как обещал, прежде всего, выкладываю реплеи (после выхода 1.45 реплеи нерабочие, но по названиям всё ещё видно время кругов и трасс и некоторые другие вещи; всё ещё надеюсь что в будущем старые реплеи сделают вновь рабочими):

Для удобства, реплеи запаковал в три разных архива. В первом - все 158 штук, включая реплеи из 2го и 3го архива. Доступно

здесь (прямая ссылка - медленнее скорость: здесь ). Названия всех реплеeв начинаются с префикса:

Второй архив - Быстрые круги - 9 реплеев. Две важных вещи про них:

Как видите, _все_ быстрые круги - сделаны на Ки-84. На имеющихся трассах, кобры где-то на 1...1,5с медленнее на круге - не зря большая часть топов на кишке летает. Но самое главное, похоже у кишки - гидравлический привод рулей, за счёт чего не происходит чудовищная потеря управляемости на скоростях выше 650 кмч - и кобра и як-3 страдают этим. Поэтому круги с пикирования - только Ки, к сожалению. Выбора нет, и записи тренировок моих (на кобре и яке) с пикирования - это подтверждают. Как я не врубился когда тот :32 круг в тренировке делал на кобре с пикирования - до сих пор не знаю. Чудо просто, немеряно повезло. И эта вот "убер-сила" кишки - одна из причин, по которой я не давал реплеев, и более того, большую часть эвента (больше половины) летал на кобре, Ла-5ФН и других крафтах. Иначе гонке к третьей больше половины более-менее быстрых пилотов (а не только топы) прокачали бы кишку, и соперников было бы намного больше. А шансов у меня - меньше. Били бы на старте больше, круги бы быстрые ставили таким же образом, и т.п. Стратегия, господа!

И второе. Я использовал, помимо десятков сравнительно мелких вещей, дающих пару-тройку десятых на круге, и одну сравнительно сильную вещь, которую изобрёл сам ещё до начала Ф1 эвента: эффект массы. Про игру такую - слышали? =) Так вот, это другое. Я держал эту фишку в секрете, не сказал _никому_ - но сейчас по реплеям моим некоторые догадались бы, поэтому рассказываю всем. И потому что не дело дальше секретничать, победу в эвенте я сделал, пора делиться опытом. Итак,

мой масс эффект - прост. Масса крафта влияет на его ускорение и управляемость. Меньше масса - быстрее круг. Часть массы крафта - топливо. Мы не можем взять меньше, чем минимум, что даёт игра (30 минут для кишки). Но мы _можем_ жечь топливо во время гонки! Как видите, всё элементарно. Я поражён, что никто (судя по всему?) не догадался, кроме меня!

Каждый заезд кончается автоматически за 30 минут. Как раз хватает чтобы выжечь почти всё топливо кишки (кстати оно как-то не совсем точно расходуется на форсаже постоянном - то 30 минут, то 26, то что-нибудь между). Вот поэтому в реплеях моих быстрых кругов с пикирования вы видите меня выжигающим горючку на форсаже (на высоте довольно холодно плюс я открывал радиатор на 100%), что и даёт этот самый "масс эффект". ;) По моим оценкам, он даёт где-то +5 кмч скорости в среднем по трассе, если выжечь почти всю горючку - а это примерно +1% скорости, т.е. 1% меньше время круга. На второй трассе (3я и 4я гонки эвента) - это где-то минус полторы секунды на круге; на первой трассе (1я и 2я гонки) - где-то минус секунда. И это для топ-пилотов - ОЧЕНЬ большая помощь, мы ведь по две-три десятых свои лучшие круги улучшаем тренировками, а тут - такое богатство. %)

Разные самолёты - 19 реплеев на самолётах "кроме кишки и двух лучших кобр", - от зеро до як-3. Все в первую тройку, - кроме Зеро. Зеро вообще черепаха, и ничего с этим не сделаешь.

Могу многое рассказать про гонки, хотя некоторые отдельные наработки всё же не раскрою - например, как именно тестирую разные настройки движков в игре. Но пока, нужен перекур - кучу времени создание этой темы заняло! Так что спрашивайте, если хотите, на что могу - отвечу. Привет! 

Addendum 1: feedback from me to developers of the racing mode. Important (i hope)!

1. ELO rating.

Problem #1: vast majority of pilots are unable to get any much higher than the upper boundary of accelerated ELO growth (which last two races of the event, was set at 1000). This produces hordes of pilots with wildly different win/races ratio, but nearly same ELO rating. Unacceptable, if this mode would _ever_ be made for casual racers.

Problem #2: any technical problem experienced by a high-ELO pilot which leads to inability to finish (game crash, BSOD, disconnect due to ISP malfunction, etc) - results in too massive ELO drop. I had 1585+ rating last sunday at some moment, then game crashed. Mind you, i have VERY stable hardware, which is able to run truly bug-free code for _weeks_ on end (e.g. SC2). As a result of this single crash, ELO dropped from 1585+ to 1533, and i know other fast pilots had same problems too during this F1 WT event. To restore my ELO rating back to 1585+ took me ~15 races, ALL of them being 1st at finish, - and some of them vs fast high-ELO pilots, with that. This is 15x10 (~6 mins race, ~1 min loading/exiting, ~3 mins average race search) = 150 minutes = 2,5 hours of very best possible flying. I dare think that this is unacceptable;

Problem #3: in theory, beating "better" pilots in race should give "more" ELO, since their ELO is expected to be higher. But for most races, this does not work because of the problem #1: a person with some 5/50 win/races ratio at 1050 is MUCH slower on average (and thus, much easier to beat) than a person at 1050 rating with 35/50 win/races ratio.

Problem #4: in theory, matchmaker should match pilots with comparable skill, but due to problem #1, for majority of pilots, this does not happen.

The simple and single solution (i believe) to all 4 listed problems - is this: hard-limit ELO rating loss for all pilots by 1% of their current amount of ELO rating PER RACE (exact optimal value possibly differs from round 1.0%, but not any much i think). I.e., at 1100 rating, even worst possible loss would never reduce ELO rating lower than to 1089, at 1500 - lower than to 1485, at 2000 - lower than to 1980, etc.

It would solve much of the problem #1, since the person with 5/50 wins/losses ratio would still be losing up to 10% of his ELO rating for every significant ELO gain (=win in race) he earns - so such pilots would still remain near the upper boundary of accelerated growth; while the pilot with some 35/50 wins/races ratio - would be losing only up to ~0,5% of his ELO rating for every win he makes, and at 1000 rating, this means 5 points loss for every win recorded - means he'll be able to reliably climb ELO rating "ladder" quite high above 1000 and _stay_ there for all his effort. Making racing results MUCH more appealing to many average and above-average pilots who don't see their skill actually reflected by ELO as it was in the event;

It would also solve most of problem #2: instead of losing 50+ points in given example, i'd only lose ~15. 3+ times easier to recover from any technical failure! In the same time, the higher ELO rating is, the _bigger_ 1% of it is, too - means, the higher pilot ELO is, the _more_ he still loses per defeat. Together with less and less ELO gain from wins, this would still provide the limit for ELO growth;

It would also solve much of problem #3, as a result of much-solved problem #1;

And finally, obviously with much of problem #1 solved, matchmaker would also work much better, now being able to more properly match pilots based on their ELO - now reflecting their skill much better, on average.

2. Disconnect protection.

IMHO, it is needed to fix disconnect protection, or remove it completely if it can't be fixed. Above solution (in bold text) - helps to mitigate disconnect damage, too, so perhaps its removal can be a viable option? If left as it is, DC protect will spawn even more VanDamn-like behaviour (oh yes, VanDamn, if you're reading this - i see you through, but i still want to see if you have guts to admit what you were doing, so i asked about it below in the topic). We've seen Paveman doing it, too - and there are likely some others, already. I care not to know how exactly they do it, but i am sure that with time, this would demolish trust of players in rating system much, if left to be as it is.

3. PvP time played.

I see some players with as few as <10 races, but with 1d+ PvP time. With all races hardcoded to last not more than 30 mins, this can't be right. Right? Fix would be nice.

4. Respawn timers.

Random respawn timers are currently too random, and max duration is too big, too. Please reduce randomness and length both by 50%, if at all possible (so max respawn timer ~=7s, min respawn timer ~=4s). We lose enough time as it is on TOP of the timer, as a result of 1) few seconds lost while getting "properly dead", 2) slower speed in many corners (up to half a lap) after resoawn, and 3) a bit heavier aircraft than normal for the remainder of the race (new full fuel load).

5. Event length.

Please, oh please, never ever do any more racing events which are 1) take place on a single track (same track same direction) for 2) over 48 hours. 72 hours is WAY too much to fly very same track over and over! If longer (than 48h) events are desirable - please make it more than a single track-direction. Even 2 different directions of the same track, selected randomly at the start of each race, would be much better. Fastest laps would still be done OK, even then, i think. Simply fastest track/direction will win most/all fastest laps - i see no tragedy in this. 1st racing event when we had both track1 and track2 AND both directons enabled - was so much more interesting to fly through!

6. Lap time.

Please replace "best lap time" in the table with "best track time". Diving is legit afaik, but it doesn't mean we like it as a mehtod _required_ to remain competitive (in terms of best lap time) - many pilots do not. While best-track-times - can't be improved by diving, since track time is measured starting from very "Go!" moment - not from passing 1st ring. There are several other reasons for this to be done, too. And no serious drawbacks i can think of.

Afterword to developers: thank you for reading and for ongoing effort in develpoing racing mode, gaijin. I wish to developers best of luck in it - looking forward for neat (i hope) results of further work! :salute:

- "fast" - летел на время (по крайней мере в основном).

- "fastest" - лучшие круги с пикированием, без пикирования, и лучшее время трассы, за все 4 гонки. В третьей гонке, лучший круг без пикирования не совпал с лучшим временем трассы, в других гонках - совпал, поэтому всего 9 реплеев. Доступны в виде отдельного архива ниже.

- "misc" - необычные заезды, раммеры, ошибки (мои и других), пролёт по всем видимым кольцам и прочее - т.е. "разное".

- "other" - гонки (в Ф1 эвенте) на "других" самолётах (что значит - не кобра А-10, не кобра С-5, и не ки-84). Финиш 1м или по крайней мере в тройке. 19 реплеев. Доступно в виде отдельного архива ниже.

- "reliable" - несколько реплеев где я иду на пару-тройку секунд медленнее на круге, но зато по сверх-надёжной траетории (сверх-надёжной для меня - для вас она может быть не такой и надёжной, или наоборот, чересчур). Большая часть заездов мной пройдена именно так - без атаки "на пределе".

- "special" - два реплея где ВанДамн свалил из заезда ещё до старта (меня увидел - и забоялся, наверно), и реплей лучшего круга с пикирования пилота Райдер2 (он мне разрешил выложить - я на всякий случай спросил его, ведь лучший круг всё-таки).

- "training" - реплеи тренировок (в основном кругов с пикирования), сделанные во время 1й гонки и между гонками. Кобры, Ки-84 и Як-3 (и один Ла-5ФН емнип). Естественно, эти реплеи - лишь малая часть тренировочного процесса.

- "unsorted" - 3 реплея которые я сохранил без указания деталей, просто как хорошие заезды. Наверно такие они и есть.

- "fast" - a run where i was (mainly at least) trying to improve my lap and/or track time;

- "fastest" - my best track times with dive, without dive, and/or best track time (during race 3, fastest no-dive lap and best track time happened in different runs, other 3 races - in same matches). Those 9 are available as a separate (much smaller) pack, below;

- "misc" - unusual and/or nice going by 2+ pilots races, rammers, mistakes, flying while touching all rings, etc - i.e. miscelanious things;

- "other" - flying "slower" planes (which is, any rank 3 fighter which is not Ki-84 nor P-63A-10 nor P-63C-5). In most cases finishing 1st, sometimes 2nd or 3rd. This is available as a separate pack of 19 replays, below;

- "reliable" - few replays which demonstrate few seconds slower, but very reliable flying;

- "special" - two replays where VanDamn left the run before the start, and Rider2 fastest diving lap during race 4 (he gave me specific permission to share this one);

- "training" - replays of training in custom games, which i've done during race1 and before/during following 3 races of the event. Includes diving laps by Yak-3, Cobras and Ki-84;

- "unsorted" - 3 replays which i saved just as "gg", which they probably are. %)

Edited by Fins_FinsT

Are you russian?

So 158 replays are all the replays put together? From all 4 stages and even extra ones? 

So I'm guessing the results are pretty final that you are getting first place? If so, congrats. 

Edited by gotyourtail

Partially yes.

now I'm even more interested, btw I edited by first post. 

So 158 replays are all the replays put together? From all 4 stages and even extra ones? 

So I'm guessing the results are pretty final that you are getting first place? If so, congrats. 

Yes, 158 are all replays from F1 event itself (and from training for it) which i am sharing. There were some more i deemed unworthy and deleted.

Nothing's final until it's official, but by all things i can estimate, i should be winning it with over 100 points lead in overall standing. My opinion is, though, not the official result - it's best to wait for the latter.

now I'm even more interested, btw I edited by first post. 

My genes are in part russian, in part german (quarter). WW2 echo. My languages are obviously two - russian is native, english is self-taught. And i enjoy both cultures - western and russian, - for their best parts. I live in Russia, but i lived for a short while in France, too. Am i russian? Yes, in part. But for over a decade, by all meanings possible - not only russian. Personally, i am firmly convinced that person's nationality is defined by the sum of his knowledge, habits and beliefs. If this is true, then i am "eurasia-american" (i lived in Asia for over 9 years, too) - calling me a "russian" man is like calling internet "american" thing: it'd be... only part of the truth indeed.

WTF, I used to think you have some special secret, like shortcuts only you know, or secret ways to take certain turns, but when I look at your best time replays you're actually doing the exact same thing I am, even in some turns you made a few small mistakes (like diving 80km/h too slow on track 2, no wonder jiyu beat you), the only difference is that your rudder never moves and that your ailerons and elevators make smooth and precise rolls... something mouse aim simply cannot do...

So mouse aim is indeed my problem... I guess RideR2 knows how to handle his rudder better so he's always a few secs faster than me, but even he has trouble catching up to you... You can never fully cancel out the rudder's movement, even after you ram your rudder in a cliff it still moves a bit, and it's impossible to make precise aileron rolls or elevator pulls with the keyboard... Joystick it is! 

I'm with Ivan. Wow. You're 5.5 seconds faster per lap than my A-5/U2 in the (marginally heavier and slower) A-5. And that's running a line which seems to be slower for the A-5. (I go about a second faster per lap using my line than yours)

So that's probably 6-7 seconds gained on pure technique. I thought 2-3 seconds could probably be shaved off my laps by someone with a joystick but I did not expect 6+!

Kudos are in order.

Edited by Strait_Raider

WTF, I used to think you have some special secret, like shortcuts only you know, or secret ways to take certain turns, but when I look at your best time replays you're actually doing the exact same thing I am, even in some turns you made a few small mistakes (like diving 80km/h too slow on track 2, no wonder jiyu beat you), the only difference is that your rudder never moves and that your ailerons and elevators make smooth and precise rolls... something mouse aim simply cannot do...

So mouse aim is indeed my problem... I guess RideR2 knows how to handle his rudder better so he's always a few secs faster than me, but even he has trouble catching up to you... You can never fully cancel out the rudder's movement, even after you ram your rudder in a cliff it still moves a bit, and it's impossible to make precise aileron rolls or elevator pulls with the keyboard... Joystick it is! 

You can cancel the rudder , in Simple Mouse mode or Realistic Controls , but i belive i have already told you that yesterday p.png

I made my best time with Mouse and Keyboard, as i don't have a Joystick salute.png

Tell us more about controls you are using and what difference disabled rudder control makes?

I am flying "realistic controls" tab in races, with "simplfied mouse joystick" (not "standard"). In theory the latter can be a bit faster than simplified, in skilled hands. But it is more difficult to use properly for a number of reasons. In practice, one can only get skills in one of them - hand motor memory is very different between the two.

I never fly with completely disabled rudder, despite the looks in replays - there are always few percents of "mouse: rudder control" present. Never 0%. But i guess you can roughly call that state "disabled rudder" indeed. What difference it makes? 1st, less energy loss in most turns; 2nd, makes precision flying more difficult and, if the pilot is not precise enough, _increases_ energy loss because additional (avoidable if rudder would be actually not "disabled") rolls/elevator_works are required to correct the pilot's line. The optimal value is dependant on _both_ specific plane _and_ particular pilot's skill - and that's why it is impossible to give even approximate "best" value even for specific planes. Some people may find themselves doing best times with as much rudder as 50%, others will do best with 5% or even less. And as the pilot adapts to controls, optimal-for-him-for-current-plane setting - changes with time, sometimes much.

It is unfortunate this is so complicated, but this is honestly my opinion, and i hope it is correct.

Now, VanDamn, your turn. Tell us why you left (quit) 3 races i was in, sunday evening, two replays of which are included in the 1st set of replays in the 1st topic? I am quite curious.

Edited by Fins_FinsT

Lots of small things here and there, there is no single "big" secret, Ivanof. The biggest thing for fast diving laps - was the mass effect described in notes in the 1st post. And no, i am not doing exact same thing you do. Differences are subtle, but numerous. Yes, i do pretty many not-so-big mistakes here and there - only human! But diving "80 kmh slow" during race2 - was not a mistake. I didn't train well enough for that turn, i knew risks involved (from what practice i had), and being unwilling to risk the attempt (i knew i could improve at this slower speed) - i took speed i was comfortable with. So not a mistake; rather, a choice. Could be wrong choice, i'll never know for sure - but still, a choice.

Mouse aim can do smooth, but yes it's more difficult than with mouse joystick. There is plenty of Rider2 replays here. How smooth his surfaces look to you? =) And he's mouse aim last i heard.

Precise and smooth elevator and aileron pulls from keyboard are very possible, but the price is less rapid response, of course. Set up your axes, tune and test, find how you like them best.

Edited by Fins_FinsT

You can cancel the rudder , in Simple Mouse mode or Realistic Controls , but i belive i have already told you that yesterday p.png

Do you mean that you can cancel the rudder controls in Mouse Aim mode or just MouseJoy Mode?

I made my best time with Mouse and Keyboard, as i don't have a Joystick salute.png

When I say joystick I mean anything that isn't traditional point-and-shoot mouse aim

Mouse aim can do smooth, but yes it's more difficult than with mouse joystick. There is plenty of Rider2 replays here. How smooth his surfaces look to you? =) And he's mouse aim last i heard.

RideR2 sends me his replays often and while he is impressively smooth for a mouse aim pilot it's nowhere near as smooth as joystick players because of the physical limitations of mouse aim, after all, you're not flying the plane, the instructor is flying and you're telling him where to go

As for track 1 reversed, I found it relatively easy to make it after diving at up to 800IAS (the ki-84 destroys itself if you go any faster), I assumed everyone could do that...

Now, VanDamn, your turn. Tell us why you left (quit) 3 races i was in, sunday evening, two replays of which are included in the 1st set of replays in the 1st topic? I am quite curious.

Lol after I beat him on a warmup race this morning he quit against me every time he met me XD... sounds like the same cheap tactic Paveman used the last 2 weeks

Edited by i_ivanof

Do you mean that you can cancel the rudder controls in Mouse Aim mode or just MouseJoy Mode?

In "Simple Mouse" or "Realistic Controls" you can set the rudder use to 0% , so even the insturctor on Simple mouse won't use it. Doesn't matter if its Mouse-Joystick or Relative Control.

But in Realistic controls you can turn better , as the instructor isn't limiting your plane , but if you turn too much you can actually spin , unlike mouse aim.

Yes, 158 are all replays from F1 event itself (and from training for it) which i am sharing. There were some more i deemed unworthy and deleted.

Nothing's final until it's official, but by all things i can estimate, i should be winning it with over 100 points lead in overall standing. My opinion is, though, not the official result - it's best to wait for the latter.

My genes are in part russian, in part german (quarter). WW2 echo. My languages are obviously two - russian is native, english is self-taught. And i enjoy both cultures - western and russian, - for their best parts. I live in Russia, but i lived for a short while in France, too. Am i russian? Yes, in part. But for over a decade, by all meanings possible - not only russian. Personally, i am firmly convinced that person's nationality is defined by the sum of his knowledge, habits and beliefs. If this is true, then i am "eurasia-american" (i lived in Asia for over 9 years, too) - calling me a "russian" man is like calling internet "american" thing: it'd be... only part of the truth indeed.

I see. Well if your native language is russian, that does say a lot. You're english is also very good. And also you currently live in russia, so that also explains a few things. I would certainly consider you russian, If I may ask, which part of russia do you live in? And wow that's crazy, looks like you have traveled quiet a bit. I'm guessing this was during the time of the Soviet Union? That's cool that you traveled, how did you enjoy France and Asia? Any reason for moving?

I don't think we should continue this discussion here, gotyourtail. If you really want to know, please send me a PM, and please explain in it why you have so much interest in my persona, too. Please let's keep this topic about racing, with no big deviations into a marvelous lands of off-topic discussion, ok? :)

I'm with Ivan. Wow. You're 5.5 seconds faster per lap than my A-5/U2 in the (marginally heavier and slower) A-5. And that's running a line which seems to be slower for the A-5. (I go about a second faster per lap using my line than yours)

So that's probably 6-7 seconds gained on pure technique. I thought 2-3 seconds could probably be shaved off my laps by someone with a joystick but I did not expect 6+!

Kudos are in order.

the A5 and A5/U2 have the exact same FM, really, only the guns are different, i'm sure under 6 minutes would be possible with joystick, the instructor doesn't particularly like the 190s and does a lot of weird stuff which slows you down

Edited by i_ivanof

In "Simple Mouse" or "Realistic Controls" you can set the rudder use to 0% , so even the insturctor on Simple mouse won't use it

Could you please clarify, is it possible to disable rudder in Mouse Aim mode?

This is dual language (english and russian) topic

Ю кэн спид ап ё ансэрс ин дуал лэнгуидж топик юзинг руглишь лайк ми

Well I know I don't have a chance against you in races and I wanted to be in top 10 in overall leaderboard so instead of ruing my elo ranking I desided to quit some of the matches. Game provided me with such an option, so I used it to play it safe.

Well I know I don't have a chance against you in races and I wanted to be in top 10 in overall leaderboard so instead of ruing my elo ranking I desided to quit some of the matches. Game provided me with such an option, so I used it to play it safe.

Спасибо за сылку на инструкцию (в русском форуме) там кнопочкой поблагодарил, а здесь письменно решил, после изучения в первом приближении :good:

За реплеи отдельное спасибо :good:

Пока просматриваю на яках (это для меня самое интересное) и в реплее (который в инструкции) от 17-18 октября кольца 70-73 явно смещены (не так как в гонке 4-го этапа) или у меня галюцинации :?s  :?s

А столько всего лопатить, где найти время :facepalm:

И еще вопрос с джойстиком не пробывали или не понравилось? Просто что лучше изначально начинать осваивать мышеджой или джой? :dntknw:

Да и хорошо что раньше ссылку не дали, а то бы я гонку не закончил (изучать бы кинулся) и своей цели не добился бы, а я этого сильно не люблю :kamikadze:

Edited by Ruslan_Igorevich

...что лучше изначально начинать осваивать мышеджой или джой?...

"Пастернака не читал, но осуждаю"

В смысле, сам не имею, но мнение есть. Если джой есть - то, конечно, джой лучше. Не настолько, чтобы прям вот всё бросать и бежать его покупать. Скорее, джой хорош как атмосферная для ависимов штука. Ну что за лётчик без штурвала? Если джоя нет, и настроя на атмосферность нет, а есть желание максимально эффективно научиться летать - мышеджой вполне подойдёт (я джой, скорее всего, куплю, именно для атмосферы).

Could you please clarify, is it possible to disable rudder in Mouse Aim mode?

I'd like to know this myself, so i join Miha in asking this question, Viking. I asked Rider2, once, in game. He didn't tell how, and overall was blurry whether rudder could be completely disabled in mouse aim, or not. Myself, i didn't find such an option, but it's possible i missed it, of course - nobody's perfect...

1. You know wrong, though... For your information, the reason why i have only two replays where you quit, while there were 3 races where you've done it (with my participation) - is that in very 1st race of those 3, my game crashed, dropping my rating by 50+ points. Should you stay, you'd get nice big ELO bonus. Plus, i've been losing to you "normally" few times, both during race3 and race4 - and i believe at least one of such losses is even present in the full replays pack, "misc" section. On top of all, you lose quite little rating when you get 2nd place after someone with similar/higher rating (sometimes you even _get_ a bit!), yet you get lots if you manage to beat him and take 1st. You really were harming yourself by this decision, VanDamn.

2. I did not expect you will have guts to admit your action. This creates some respect where i didn't think i'll get some. I don't remember why you were in my ignorelist in game, but i never put people into it without solid reason. But, perhaps, it was a big misunderstanding? Anyhows, since 2 days ago, you're not in it anymore - what's forgotten, is forgotten. 

3. Now you got me _really_ interested. What you mean by "game provided me such an option"? Where game informed you that you can quit the game before the start for the reason you were doing it? :dntknw: Please provide a screenshot, if at all possible.

За реплеи отдельное спасибо :good:

Пока просматриваю на яках (это для меня самое интересное) и в реплее (который в инструкции) от 17-18 октября кольца 70-73 явно смещены (не так как в гонке 4-го этапа) или у меня галюцинации :?s  :?s

А столько всего лопатить, где найти время :facepalm:

И еще вопрос с джойстиком не пробывали или не понравилось? Просто что лучше изначально начинать осваивать мышеджой или джой? :dntknw:

Да и хорошо что раньше ссылку не дали, а то бы я гонку не закончил (изучать бы кинулся) и своей цели не добился бы, а я этого сильно не люблю :kamikadze:

Наздоровье.  :salute:  Но по яку - имейте ввиду: как и другие "разные" крафты, в Ф1 реплеях я к яку непривычный, куча неоптимальных траекторий (каждый крафт имеет _свои_ лучшие траектории, и надо немало поработать чтобы их определить - на что не было времени). Так что слепо копировать - не рекомендую!

Нет, никаких глюков нету. Трассы немного переделали (доработали) где-то в районе первой половины ноября. На второй появилось ещё одно кольцо ЕМНИП, кое-где сдвинули кольца. 

Время, к сожалению, не резиновое. А тут ещё 1.45 на носу, и мне пока никто из стаффа сказать не может - будут всё-таки 1.43 реплеи работать в 1.45, или нет. Пока по сумме предполагаемого - похоже, что нет.  :(s

Джойстик (физический) пробовал лет 15+ назад, очень немного. С тех пор не пробовал больше, и не собираюсь. Но это лишь личное предпочтение. Есть ярые сторонники как клавы+мышки, так и физического джойстика. Лично я считаю, что и на том и на том можно добиться практически идентичных результатов в любых гонках, - но лично я уже многие годы катастрофически привычен к клаве с мышкой, т.е. в моём случае, это дело многолетней привычки. Ну и место за столом экономлю, тоже. Единственное, что я бы не советовал брать - так это "эконом-класс" и даже "средний класс" джойстиков. В пилотаже точность очень важна. Поэтому если уж брать физический джойстик - то он должен быть монументально качественным, исключительно точным (никаких люфтов!) и надёжным (на много лет). Чисто навскидку, предполагаю что цены на подобные джойстики стартуют откуда-нибудь с 20000 деревянных. Если бюджет не позволяет такую роскошь - то я всё же остановился бы на мышеджое. У лазерного луча люфта, к счатью, не бывает... :)

Не ожидал такого поворота... Думал, скорее будет кто-нибудь жаловаться, чего мол раньше ссылку не дал... Что ж, рад, что так вышло - иногда помогаешь даже молчанием, и даже не зная этого. Забавная штука жизнь...  8)s

Edited by Fins_FinsT

Its not like the game provided me with that option personally, theres no need to understand it literally. What I meant to say is this: in game you have an option to quit battle and thats what I did in some of the races to secure my ranking. I probably wouldn't done it if the fist stage results were judged according to ELO not the lap times, that way I would had enough points to secure my place in top 10.

About ignore list. I kinda annoyingly asked you what kind of propeller pitch % you were using in the cobra at 1st stage :)