OrsonES

War Thunder Top Skins Of The Month Competition Discussion

congrats guys. im taking a pause from skinning but i guess no one will miss me, quality of your works is outstanding as always

medal medal

Thank  you for picking my Hurricane as one of the top skins this month !

It is so rewarding, that among many talented people, and between so many beautiful creations, one of my skins is chosen!

I also thank the participants in all the competitions, the ones who provide the thrust for this to move on! 

I remember the first skin competition, back in June 2014...someone said this will eventually die out, as the older participants of you will attest!

I see more new ppl coming in, with more great creations each time! I see the quality bar rise by the day!

Thanks for being here ppl! Thanks for trying your best! Cheers to you all!

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal

Hmmm the Rules state that the three Winners of the Month are chosen out of the Categorys: Fictional, Ace and Historical.
Why are there three Historical Monthly winners?
  • Upvote 1

Hmmm the Rules state that the three Winners of the Month are chosen out of the Categorys: Fictional, Ace and Historical.
Why are there three Historical Monthly winners?

I dont think it has to be one of each, just that those are the labeled categories...  it would be very restricted if it were. 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I dont think it has to be one of each, just that those are the labeled categories...  it would be very restricted if it were.

Well i read the rules that way and as far as i know till now the three winners were always this way. One for each category. In general i still want to know on which basis winners are picked.
Because like Trude said "currently it feels like a lottory". That the reason why Joker and Tiger pulled out of the competition. Cause there is no constant criteria about the judgement.
For example Tigers KV1bis with detailed history, hand painted decals, tons of efford - loosing against a M3 Lee with some russian slogans (it was mine). Or some random yak with no nfile, mono color and 2 decals, winning against a Bf109 with detailed camo, selfmade nfile and tons of decals. Thats simply not fair.
  • Upvote 3

Well i read the rules that way and as far as i know till now the three winners were always this way. One for each category. In general i still want to know on which basis winners are picked.
Because like Trude said "currently it feels like a lottory". That the reason why Joker and Tiger pulled out of the competition. Cause there is no constant criteria about the judgement.
For example Tigers KV1bis with detailed history, hand painted decals, tons of efford - loosing against a M3 Lee with some russian slogans (it was mine). Or some random yak with no nfile, mono color and 2 decals, winning against a Bf109 with detailed camo, selfmade nfile and tons of decals. Thats simply not fair.

yes i agree with you, it almost seems they are changing judges every so often...

• Upvote 1

Eh, I give up on this now. Too many times have I seen stuff win that shouldn't.
Akifunk's 109 was/is low quality and link he provided is just taking me to his bird one.
The Black pearl p-51 looks nice from the screen shots but in reality that skin is way too shiny.

Idk, But I give up on this idea, too many times have I seen stupid stuff happen and good skins (I am talking about other people's too) not win what they deserved. 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Yep, im waiting for Wiboxes answer about all those things we'd like to change in this competition.

Depending on the answer i will stay or pull out too.

Idk, But I give up on this idea, too many times have I seen stupid stuff happen and good skins (I am talking about other people's too) not win what they deserved. 

5 Months ago i complained about low quality skins winning!

I still have the feeling the skins are evaluated based on their screenshots and not on the actual skin ingame.

And without any feedback it just feels like a lottory.

Edited by CmdNomad
  • Upvote 1

Yep, im waiting for Wiboxes answer about all those things we'd like to change in this competition.

Depending on the answer i will stay or pull out too.

5 Months ago i complained about low quality skins winning!

I still have the feeling the skins are evaluated based on their screenshots and not on the actual skin ingame.

And without any feedback it just feels like a lottory.

Yeah I had read those at the time, but didn't really pay attention, I mean, stuff can happen once or twice. But it seems that for every month since stupid stuff keeps happening, and now I just see it as a trend.
Lottery is kind of accurate, but the lottery seems weighted on how many times you have won before. I get the feeling that there is some sort of fame influence as there is some people who are almost guaranteed to be chosen each time, idk maybe just the judge's personal favorite skinners or something.

I don't think its something that can be fixed, I mean beauty is in the eye of the beholder and sometimes people vision can be clouded whether by preference of author or vehicle, everyone has something they will be biased towards so even with a rotating panel the trend would just rotate.

You can also guarantee that they will never reveal their true process as people would just take advantage of the knowledge and purposefully make stuff that will win.

If they do change something I will look back into this comp, but for now I am done.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I think you are 100% correct. The contest have nothing to do with skill or effort, so much as how pretty the pictures look. In fact, sometimes I wonder if the judges even download the skins at all... I've seen and been on both sides of this. I've seen good skins win and great skins not even be considered. I've seen not bad but just effortless skins win, while high-detailed and totally original skins get passed up...like one person just added a few decals or changed the roundels, versus someone who has custom everything and perhaps even custom normal maps. Or, someone who submits a great skin...but then just changes one or two things and essentially re-submits the same skin again but with just different national markings. This seems to happen a lot with jets, specifically (because they are all aluminium).

I've won and lost some, and won one that was controversial for just this reason (not biweekly but I'm sure you know which I refer to...). I was happy with my skin but had the judges actually downloaded the skins, looked at the DDS files, and considered everything about them rather than just the screenshots, I know that specific contest would have eneded differently. I was happy to have won but I did request to back out...but what's done is done.

It's the same question that I asked then though: Are these contests about skill or are they about how pretty it looks? Answer should be both...not just one or the other. A winning skin needs to encapsulate both aspects.

Yeah I had read those at the time, but didn't really pay attention, I mean, stuff can happen once or twice. But it seems that for every month since stupid stuff keeps happening, and now I just see it as a trend.
Lottery is kind of accurate, but the lottery seems weighted on how many times you have won before. I get the feeling that there is some sort of fame influence as there is some people who are almost guaranteed to be chosen each time, idk maybe just the judge's personal favorite skinners or something.

I don't think its something that can be fixed, I mean beauty is in the eye of the beholder and sometimes people vision can be clouded whether by preference of author or vehicle, everyone has something they will be biased towards so even with a rotating panel the trend would just rotate.

You can also guarantee that they will never reveal their true process as people would just take advantage of the knowledge and purposefully make stuff that will win.

If they do change something I will look back into this comp, but for now I am done.

I wonder if your opinion would change if you had won? I'm grateful for winning and I don't think my skins are the best out there one bit but the whole ideal of an selective competition relies almost entirely in opinion. That's the whole point in this one. I've lost waaaay more than one but I don't let it get to me cuz it's a free competition and don't lose anything at all for not winning. Please let us not forget this is a free-to-play as well as a free-to-draw game. Don't let it bother you so much bud.
  • Upvote 3

I wonder if your opinion would change if you had won? I'm grateful for winning and I don't think my skins are the best out there one bit but the whole ideal of an selective competition relies almost entirely in opinion. That's the whole point in this one. I've lost waaaay more than one but I don't let it get to me cuz it's a free competition and don't lose anything at all for not winning. Please let us not forget this is a free-to-play as well as a free-to-draw game. Don't let it bother you so much bud.

Well i complain about the comp. even when i win. ^^

Because it really bugs me to not even get an answer to simple question i asked for 5 Months!

Its not like when i win everything is fine. No sometimes its even worse. Like the one time Tiger_VI superior skin wasn't choosen, but my M3 Lee.

The skin comp. rules need a genereal overhaul and the jury should be ppl. who know this field and who actually check the skins ingame!

I think you are 100% correct. The contest have nothing to do with skill or effort, so much as how pretty the pictures look. In fact, sometimes I wonder if the judges even download the skins at all... I've seen and been on both sides of this. I've seen good skins win and great skins not even be considered. I've seen not bad but just effortless skins win, while high-detailed and totally original skins get passed up...like one person just added a few decals or changed the roundels, versus someone who has custom everything and perhaps even custom normal maps. Or, someone who submits a great skin...but then just changes one or two things and essentially re-submits the same skin again but with just different national markings. This seems to happen a lot with jets, specifically (because they are all aluminium).

I've won and lost some, and won one that was controversial for just this reason (not biweekly but I'm sure you know which I refer to...). I was happy with my skin but had the judges actually downloaded the skins, looked at the DDS files, and considered everything about them rather than just the screenshots, I know that specific contest would have eneded differently. I was happy to have won but I did request to back out...but what's done is done.

It's the same question that I asked then though: Are these contests about skill or are they about how pretty it looks? Answer should be both...not just one or the other. A winning skin needs to encapsulate both aspects.

Yeah i know which one. ^^

Btw. during the unloved II competition i changed some things on the skin right before the end of the deadline.

I wrote it in the title of the skin and the changes into my changelog!

Then i watched the download counter till the day the winners were announced.

No new downloads!

So this skin clearly wasn't evaluated based on its ingame appearance but on its Screenshots.

Edited by CmdNomad
  • Upvote 1

Dear players.

Winners are selected based on various aspects of the skins; we want to encourage the less experienced skinners to create and participate in the competition as well, we can't achieve that by always selecting the same, professional skinners as winners.

Regards
OrsonES
  • Upvote 3

Dear players.

Winners are selected based on various aspects of the skins; we want to encourage the less experienced skinners to create and participate in the competition as well, we can't achieve that by always selecting the same, professional skinners as winners.

Regards
OrsonES

i would forfeit all future entries of mine if one was selected to be in-game...  even outside the revenue program.

• Upvote 2

Dear players.

Regards
OrsonES

If you tell me that high quality skins are not chosen and instead low quality skins just to encourage new skinners, well then its not a competition!

In a photocompetition i participate each month in, i never even won once, because i have no chance against the professionals.

But it doesnt matter, because i get a feedback to improve myself. And some day i will be a proffessional too and win it. Maybe. ;-)

What you said sounds a bit like "Oh Mr. Hammilton you cant win this F1 race this time. You won the last 5 times so we decided to let the last place win instead to motivate him."

I spoke and wrote with Wibox about the matter, since im not the only one who is unhappy about the current situation and the lack of communication.

There are 17 skinners in my skype group, everyone is unhappy, three already resigned from participating anymore.

But in the new light i will make it four.

I will continue to make skins for the community.

But i will no longer put any skins in the "competition"!

Edited by CmdNomad
  • Upvote 5

If you tell me that high quality skins are not chosen and instead low quality skins just to encourage new skinners, well then its not a competition!

In a photocompetition i participate each month in, i never even won once, because i have no chance against the professionals.

But it doesnt matter, because i get a feedback to improve myself. And some day i will be a proffessional too and win it. Maybe. ;-)

I spoke and wrote with Wibox about the matter, since im not the only one who is unhappy about the current situation and the lack of communication.

There are 17 skinners in my skype group, everyone is unhappy, three already resigned from participating anymore.

But in the new light i will make it four.

I will continue to make skins for the community.

But i will no longer put any skins in the "competition"!

That is your choice of not putting your entries anymore in this competition and i will respect it.
You need to understand that if only few same ppl would win all time other would not put any effort to put their skins here cause why? Others would win all time so at their place i would not bother to put anything here.

And point of every competition is to have a lot of entries and not only few of them even if they are best.

• Upvote 1

That is your choice of not putting your entries anymore in this competition and i will respect it.
You need to understand that if only few same ppl would win all time other would not put any effort to put their skins here cause why? Others would win all time so at their place i would not bother to put anything here.

And point of every competition is to have a lot of entries and not only few of them even if they are best.

Sorry then pls give it an other name.

If you are told "Every 2 weeks a panel of official judges, chosen from the team, will vote on the top skins" and then you learn they are not necessary top quality then there is something wrong with the title and the description.

I understand why Joker was so frustrated and quit, same for Tiger and Gruffman. Because this way the top skinners get the feeling their work is not good enough.

Most of us "Top skinners" dont participate for the Eagles, we participate because we want an official and independent jury who tells us "hey your work is prizeworthy".

So maybe youll gain some new faces here but the old ones will quit one by one because we loose motivation. And how exactly should the new ones improve in their skills?

If LQ wins over HQ then there is no motivation to get better. You can only measure yourself on something/one better then you.

Anyway thank you for participating in this little discussion of ours. ^^

Edited by CmdNomad
  • Upvote 2

What you said sounds a bit like "Oh Mr. Hammilton you cant win this F1 race this time. You won the last 5 times so we decided to let the last place win instead to motivate him."

CmdNomad's reply is perfect. This is not a true contest if skins are chosen to patronize the new participants. Further, new skinners will NOT improve if they are handed a "win" simply because they chose to submit an entry for the first time. It is not the moderator's job to pander to someone on the forums. As skinners who are producing art, it is our job to look at the contests as an oportunity to learn from the best and to improve our skills. If a new skinner takes a loss so personally that they never enter again, than they (to be quite frank) need to grow up.

Lastly, if I found out that one of my skins had been selected for a win, not on merit but because I was "new", I would be extremely angry. I did not enter into these contests to be given a pat on the head and a "thanks for playing." I want genuine feedback with true reward for accomplishment.

Remember:

55942335.jpg

Edited by N818
  • Upvote 5