OrsonES

War Thunder Top Skins Of The Month Competition Discussion

So as topic title says. Here you can discuss skins entires and stuff  :kamikadze:

Do not post entries here!

• Upvote 6

The best historical ones can be added to the game? I'm using a lot of them but my victims the rest of the players can't see them.

Thanks for your work (skin modders)  :salute:

• Upvote 8

Personally I'm not a fan of player skins being included in the game. The vast majority of players will never pay for them (they can't be unlocked), yet if more keep being added it will substantially increase the size of the download. Gaijin themselves have previously mentioned this as a reason why user skins would not be added, before they changed their minds and decided to include some for 1.41.

Also there are far too many high quality historical skins and skin authors, there's no way even a small portion of them could ever make it into the game.

This suggestion thread describes a much better alternative.
  • Upvote 5
medal medal medal medal

Personally I'm not a fan of player skins being included in the game. The vast majority of players will never pay for them (they can't be unlocked), yet if more keep being added it will substantially increase the size of the download. Gaijin themselves have previously mentioned this as a reason why user skins would not be added, before they changed their minds and decided to include some for 1.41.

Also there are far too many high quality historical skins and skin authors, there's no way even a small portion of them could ever make it into the game.

This suggestion thread describes a much better alternative.

Nice suggestion

Thx for choosing my skin :D Congratulations to all other winners.

First double win for the Joker/Tiger Team ^^

I love your work man  :good:  :salute:

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the honor, and for the prize!  Congrats to the other winners as well -- a lot of talent there.

medal medal medal

WOW! Amazing work! :Os :salute:

The best historical ones can be added to the game? I'm using a lot of them but my victims the rest of the players can't see them.

Thanks for your work (skin modders)  :salute:

^^^This please! :yes:

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

There is one thing to keep in mind by the way: the amount of work/time behind a skin isnt necessarely proportional to the quality of the skin. I've both done a skin starting from zero ( my 8k b17 serie ) and skins starting from gaijin files ( all the others ).  Working on gaijin's skin i've been able to appreciate the accuracy and the details of them. 

some airplanes models are not that good, for example the a-20 but many are very very good and it would be actually pointless to redo the skin from zero when the final result you can obtain is, in the best case, as good as the original.  It's just wasted time, a lot of time, expecially considering the fact that all the skinners do it for fun in their spare time, no one gets money ( at least i hope i'm not the only dumb that does it for free :crazy: ) . I've done the B-17 from zero for 3 reason: 

because i like the plane

because original skin was very very bad

because i wanted to see if i was able to. 

but i'll never do something like that again because, as i said, it's pointless. I've seen skins made from zero that i didn't like, even if i was aware of all the time and the work that was behind them.

So this is surely useful guide to make people understand the amount of effort that it takes to do one kind of work or another but doesnt' really tell how good a skin is. 

i for example consider these parameters:

The 1st you mention for example, wich is how accurate is an historic skin.

the details. Some people just cut and paste roundels and symbols they find on google images. Some others do them from zero or blend them on the skin in a more accurate way.

the colours. Some for example go looking for the original tints used in those planes and use them. I for example prefer to use colors that looks better in the game engine even if they are not historically precise.

the balance. Some people simply overdo details. Overdo weatherings, overdo contrasts, overdo rivets in order to make the details crispy and visible. Some don't care about the details at all,

• Upvote 1
medal medal

I agree with you Cambridge, and it's why I deleted this post, it was maybe a little bit to pretentious. After all this just an hobby.

But when you concider the work done by artists like PurpleMamba or StrafeMike (day of work), put on the same level as some copy/paste works (few minutes, but who can be good also I admit), I'm a little bit sad for them. They definitly deserve to be differenciated, you don't think so ? And off course I'm not talking of Myself, I've just done 3 skins in 6 months ! I'm just an occasional skinner.

But when you master the skin process like PurpleMamba, it's a lot better to redo the skin from the ground, because Gaijin skin will always be on 2K, and you must use the Gaijin weathering if you simply modify their skin. I definitly think that remaking the skin is another approach, I mean two differents categories, and I'm not saying that a simple skin is bad, it's just another thing. Maybe it could be diferentiated on the contest.

Edited by Petranera
medal medal

First of all: Congratulations to this weeks winners. Well done and deserved. :salute:

@Nomad and to the competition support:

In my opinion I´d like to see a separation too. I really respect the work of the very good aircraft skinners and the effort they put in their skins.

If they win they deserve it really, but a separation would help both sides. To all aircraft fellow skinners: This is only my opinion on separating

and no offense against you.

Greetings

JoKeR_BvB09

Signed

Edited by CmdNomad