FPS_Scotland

PBY-5a Catalina Official thread

Is the Russian premium PBY a good plane? Is it worth getting? It looks good because it is 2 tiers lower than the normal PBY and if tier 4s have a hard time shooting it down then it sound like a lot of fun in a tier 1/reserve game. How does it compare to the normal US PBY?

medal

For money making it will be ok, but if u want use it to get exp to unlock higher ranks, it is very bad choice(170k exp and it will only give u 1/4 of exp).

slow as turtle

people having hard time killing it cause they focus fire on its body..

wings and engine is quite weak..

an ace pilot would attack it head-on for guarantee kill of PBY's engines..

or and ace pilot would aim its fragile wings...

i bought this premium PBY and to be honest i get more ground kills with AR-2

i truly cant be arsed to reach my destination at the end of the match...

pby is the slowest plane ever.. i hate it so much.. i totally regret buying it

I think its pretty awesome. Yeah, its terribly sluggish which can be annoying but you get 4 x 1000lb bombs on tier 1... :crazy: Team her up with tier 1 Chaika, fill remaining spots with reserve planes and you have very nice money making setup in tier 0-1 battles.  :)s

• Upvote 3

best plane for earning money and training crew. ive had nearly 30 crew points of it for a good game. great fun too.

best plane for earning money and training crew. ive had nearly 30 crew points of it for a good game. great fun too.

That's nothing, I managed to rake in 60 points in my beau Mk. VI (That one is the not so overpowered one)

medal

slow as turtle

people having hard time killing it cause they focus fire on its body..

wings and engine is quite weak..

LOL no.  I've BnZ'd PBYs with hispano cannons directly to the wings and they just keep on flying. Any other plane would have its wing torn off but the PBY just soaks it up and keeps on flying.

To bring a PBY down QUICKLY, use a rocket. :yes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQYKRkQtJz0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IL5KRX9kZ4&feature=youtu.be

Btw, which nation offers the offers the best low rank fighter capaple of using rockets?  ;)s :secret:

Is the Russian premium PBY a good plane? Is it worth getting?

It looks good because it is 2 tiers lower than the normal PBY and if tier 4s have a hard time shooting it down then it sound like a lot of fun in a tier 1/reserve game. How does it compare to the normal US PBY?

Definetly worth gettin' imho, excellent payload options:

* 16x 50kg bombs,

* 2x 1005 kg torpedo,

* 4x 250 kg bombs,

* 4x 500 kg bombs,

4 gunners on this babe, and it normally takes lots of damage before going down...

* No other nation has such a low rank monster bomber...

(US and Japanese Flying boats are rank 3, Japanese one is totally bugged atm, 12k lions repair costs...)

http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/19233-h6k4-repair-costs-and-repair-time-bug/

Here's a lil video I made about the russian PBY:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dAajuxXKf0[/media]

In this video my PBY sinks 4 destroyers and a battleship with torpedoes in 3:45...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvpGE3UVNmM&feature=youtu.be

OK, the battleship was already damaged...but still, when was the last time you did something like that with your german / US / UK / japanese rank 1 premium bomber?

...why can't the other nations have something like that (a huge rank 1 premium bomber) too?

It isn't even planned, just look @ the release-trees... :learn:

http://warthunder.com/en/game/releasetree/

Edit: In the next mission I got 2 more destroyers and a battleship, the mission after that I killed yet another destroyer and a carrier with my PBY....

Btw, which nation offers the offers the best low rank fighter capaple of using rockets?  ;)s :secret:

I think the brits do with the Hurricane Mk. 2. i think it is rank 3 but I am not sure.

medal

I think the brits do with the Hurricane Mk. 2. i think it is rank 3 but I am not sure.

Just look it up ingame.

Hurricane Mk II - rank 3.

I-16 Type 18 has rockets @ rank 2.

LaGG-3 has 'em @ rank 3 too.

Hurricane Mk II better than LaGG-3? lol

That, or shoot the tail.  Once the tail is gone even the smallest bank will end in the PBY eventually crashing into the ground as it won't be able to correct its sink rate.

Catas are some of the most durable bombers in the entire game, requiring lots of cannons, rockets, or lucky shots to bring you down in a hurry, until than you are an untouchable fortress of death

Catas are some of the most durable bombers in the entire game, requiring lots of cannons, rockets, or lucky shots to bring you down in a hurry, until than you are an untouchable fortress of death

Nah, it takes only one rocket to kill them. Many cannons shots though.

medal

Not much else can land on a domination airstrip and get 8+ kills while just sitting on the runway.
And watching the enemy kamakazi diving into the ground trying to kill you is beyond hilarious.

Using it in a reserve/0/1 match kind of feels wrong. Like beating up a retarded kid or clubbing baby seals.

the trollalyna? is a great tier 1, is the PBY5a (with lading gear), is a beast if u use it with reserve partners (to get 0-1 matches)....dat gunners

EDIT: now on 1.29 is tier 3 soo no it doesn't worth it..at all

medal medal

It's tier 3 now... I wouldn't be mad about this, but I bought it... *burns effigy of whoever Gaijin's CEO is*

So yes, I'm extremely pissed off...

medal medal medal medal

The weakness of all the cats is there is no true rear gunner, There's a spot large enough for a small fighter to fit where none of the gunners can hit. and Aim for the engines from that safety zone. That is the one thing you cant do with an H6K, but apparently no one notices and sits smack right in front of that rear gunner with the 20mm cannon and gets pumped with 20mm rounds into their engine.

medal medal medal medal

The weakness of all the cats is there is no true rear gunner, There's a spot large enough for a small fighter to fit where none of the gunners can hit. and Aim for the engines from that safety zone. That is the one thing you cant do with an H6K, but apparently no one notices and sits smack right in front of that rear gunner with the 20mm cannon and gets pumped with 20mm rounds into their engine.

Yeah when that happens to me in my US cats i just use my rudder and go back and forth.

medal