Sign in to follow this  
Warpig_

Realistic Controls in Arcade: Question

I tried Realistic controls in Arcade mode and liked it. My concern is, is it the exact same as if using Realistic controls in HB/FRB? Or is it still somewhat dumbed down for Arcade mode purposes?

medal medal medal

Massively dumbed down. You can manually trim and other such things of course, but the physics and flight models are completly different from HB/FRB. That said I find arcade fm's substantially harder to fly than the regular ones.

medal medal medal medal medal

That definitely makes things confusing... Realistic controls in Arcade should fly/control exactly like Realistic controls in HB/FRB one would think.

That's why there should just be a universal FM! Just use the correct one for all game modes. The four different control modes with mouse aim to simplistic up to realistic and simulator is all that should be needed to satisfy the masses. This is just going over-board to the point that people don't even have to fly their own plane if they choose not to. It also eliminates critical thinking, like using one planes strengths against the others weaknesses with these dumbed down Arcade FM's where all planes fly the same.

Arcade could be so much better.

medal medal medal

I know its confusing but ill try to explain. Flight Model (or FM as its often referred to) is a definition of how an aircraft behaves aerodynamically and includes things such as stall tendencies, adverse yaw and other factors. Proper weight and balance based on loadouts and fuel , airframe stress well as many other things. These make the experience closer to realism however increase the learning curve required. Difficulty Level is entirely different in that it simply changes the control method and options available to you as the pilot. in full simulation for example you'll be able to manage subsystems that would otherwise be unavailable in other difficulty modes such as fuel mixture or propeller pitch etc. in conclusion, the game allows you to choose difficulty level as it relates to flight "controls" but it decides difficulty as it relates to flight model based on the game mode choseb. Arcade = simplified FM with few historical accuracies Historical Battles = close to realistic FM without the need for micro management of subsystems. FRB = closer to realism with greater emphasis and reward placed on pilots who know how to manage aircraft systems. its worthwhile to note however that none of these difficulty or FM are "sim" worthy yet. Any IL2 pilot will attest to this.
medal medal medal medal medal

Thank you both for the explanations. I guess the real disappointment for me is, I wanted to use Arcade with Realistic Controls for some quality practice before entering HB/FRB modes. With different FM's it doesn't really translate like I wanted it to.

medal medal medal

Sign in to follow this