256 posts in this topic

Gonna make a note on the devs directly, seeing this is not only me and my old rig!

On 3/16/2017 at 1:27 PM, bobpie1 said:

Hi Guy's I've Heard that someone wanted my dds options so here you go :)

Hide contents

Thanks bobpie1

Here's my settings. Not sure if they are optimal settings or not. But, I thought I'd post them to get a discussion going on what the consensus is regarding best DDS settings.

Not to re-open the MipMap vs non MipMap debate. There are two camps on that subject and I'm in the MipMap camp and won't change my mind on that subject. I will try the 3 MipMap option that Constantia suggested, just haven't had time to do comparisons yet. And, we don't need to discuss DXT 5 vs DXT1 I think most agree that DXT5/Interpolated is best for N files (normal) and DXT1/ 1Bit is best for c files (Diffuse).

But... I was wondering if others used the same settings as I do. Such as Cubic Filter Type.

DDS Settings.jpg

Well, Paul i use paint.net to save dds files...lightning fast and easy, no real trouble with all these settings. just DXT1 no alpha for texture, DXT1 1 bit alpha for texture damage and DXT5 interpolated for the rest. Paint is freeware.

PS With mipmaps ofc!

Edited by __StrafeMike__

20 hours ago, MightyArrow said:

Thanks bobpie1

Here's my settings. Not sure if they are optimal settings or not. But, I thought I'd post them to get a discussion going on what the consensus is regarding best DDS settings.

Not to re-open the MipMap vs non MipMap debate. There are two camps on that subject and I'm in the MipMap camp and won't change my mind on that subject. I will try the 3 MipMap option that Constantia suggested, just haven't had time to do comparisons yet. And, we don't need to discuss DXT 5 vs DXT1 I think most agree that DXT5/Interpolated is best for N files (normal) and DXT1/ 1Bit is best for c files (Diffuse).

But... I was wondering if others used the same settings as I do. Such as Cubic Filter Type.

DDS Settings.jpg

Using "All" is probably what I was using too instead of 5. I can't remember for the life of me which value it was set to. After playing with multiple skins I can say that 3 is not a set point (but it's certainly a good defaulting option). Some planes (viewpoint distances are not consistent with some) or skin sizes could probably use 4 mips (8k+) while others could get away with 2 (4k and less).

1 hour ago, Fahrenheit_ said:

Using "All" is probably what I was using too instead of 5. I can't remember for the life of me which value it was set to. After playing with multiple skins I can say that 3 is not a set point (but it's certainly a good defaulting option). Some planes (viewpoint distances are not consistent with some) or skin sizes could probably use 4 mips (8k+) while others could get away with 2 (4k and less).

Nice point made! I second this with the size matter, resolution as well as final vehicle size, as a bomber should be a lot different compared to an i16. A wire mesh on these planes would be made using different pixel sizes and should be checked according to size and resolution