They appear to be on track to ship in the next few weeks. Would this be a good place for a users thread? I'm going to track down some links for universal drivers and such that are currently in the works and am curious about anybody else who is getting one and how they plan to get it working in the game.

• Upvote 3

Indeed it is interesting to have ACTUAL users & testers of the system to post here, especially the ways to assign specific controls to the O.VR such as mouse view, Hat, etc.

Although their March version IIRC is only the HD 720 ?

Yeah, the Dev kit shipping in March won't be full HD.  I just wasn't patient enough to wait, and the reviews so far of even that version have been very positive.

It would seem getting it to work in a game like this where the user is fixed, as is the gunsight (in cockpit view anyway) wouldn't be too difficult.  If the axis show up in the menu to where you can map the HAT stick to them it should be pretty straight forward.

• Upvote 1

Great idea to have a thread devoted to Oculus Rift, Lt. 

I've had their news site pinned on my browser for some time. I've waited for years to see this technology become a 'reality' and it's damn exciting to see it finally happening!

it's my understanding that Oculus VR are targeting the game developers with these dev kits so won't Gaijin have to be involved before anyone can have real success making the headsets work in WT?  A couple of us, at least, have posted about Oculus Rift in these forums in the past few months but I haven't seen any sign of Gaijin's awareness or interest in it.  Admittedly, Gaijin probably have their hands full with the issues and ongoing development of WT but I hope that they will still take a big interest in the Oculus Rift product.

medal

One thing i like from the hardware developers on OVR is their symbiotic behaviour towards the game makers. The game helps the development of OVR, and OVR team helps the game become better when using their hardware.

It is a great step towards holodecks  8)s

I have one on the way, will post my impressions when it lands.

You're a brave man GunSlinger!  I'm really looking forward to hearing about your testing and results.

Good luck with it and yes, please do keep us posted!

:good:

medal

I remember long time ago there were aproaches to VR helmets, and big problem was dizziness, close to sea sick, because of diference between what 'that thing in ear I dont know how is called in english' :) (real world) and eyes (virtual world) were telling to our brain... how did they resoled this problem here? Throwing up after playing game for some time would not be good thing :)

It's true that some people are more prone to the vertigo effect. I am not prone to 'sea or motion sickness' but my wife sure is.

I know of one person who cannot use a flight sim because the perceived turning and tilting motion makes him feel nauseous.

However, i think that most people are either not bothered with the effect or can adapt to it over time.

medal

The main health issue is the space and reality check after prolonged exposure, but i think discipline with time may overcome it.

I ask because I am, one of those people who suffer heavily with this problem, I cant even play most fpp shooters :(

I have some inner ear damage from a motorcycle crash years ago, and am prone to vertigo every once and awhile.  From what I've read about others trying the Rift, you have to ease into it with short sessions.  Your brain eventually figures / adapts to the conflicting information it is getting from eyes and ears and then all is well.

I have my vertigo meds that I'll be popping a few of when the Rift arrives, just to speed that process along  :Ds

• Upvote 2

Sorry to hear that some of you have to suffer with vertigo effects while trying to play these sims or games.

I hope that you are successful in dealing with it, particularly with technology like Oculus Rift which has the potential of a great virtual reality flight experience.

Who knows, some of us who aren't normally bothered by such things may find that we will also suffer ill effects when we try it, and I can only hope that the adjustment period won't be too long nor difficult.

medal

Reading some of the latest progress reports on Oculus Rift indicates that there will very likely be an adjustment period for many of us who would like to use this technology.  It appears that it can be quite disorienting for new users and more than I had imagined it would be.  But, on thinking about it, I guess it's not surprising that it can really confuse our senses at first.  Hopefully most of us can adjust to it in time.

http://www.oculusvr.com/news/

Regardless, I'm sooo looking forward to hearing reports on making it work with WT and to eventually installing the finished product.

medal

Latest email I saw from them said they will be in our hands by the 23rd of March?  It is almost time :)

We played around a bit with War Thunder set at a lower resolution to mimic the dev kit screen resolutions, and even at 1024  x 768 the game looks very good.  I don't think it will be bad looking at all on the Dev kit.

Has Gaijin ever chimed in about these?  Do they plan on developing for one?  Would they if they were provided one?

Latest email I saw from them said they will be in our hands by the 23rd of March?  It is almost time :)

We played around a bit with War Thunder set at a lower resolution to mimic the dev kit screen resolutions, and even at 1024  x 768 the game looks very good.  I don't think it will be bad looking at all on the Dev kit.

Has Gaijin ever chimed in about these?  Do they plan on developing for one?  Would they if they were provided one?

Good questions!  A couple of us have posted about OR and as i stated in my first post in this thread, I haven't yet heard or seen any response from Gaijin to say that they are aware of it or are interested.  I think they would be if it takes off, but it would be nice if they got their hands on a dev kit and explored the possibilities at this stage of development.  Perhaps it will take a posting on the 'questions for devs' forum and/or a pm to one of them to get a direct response.

medal

Found the thread! ;)

I'm eagerly waiting the details on this when people get it in their hands.  I almost pulled the trigger this afternoon on one, but then I remembered to wait and see how the finished model was going to end up looking like.  I think 720p is playable, but for once, just once in my life, I'm going to wait it out and not be an early adopter.

A proper head tracking VR headset would be killer for a game like this.

I've been watching development of the Oculus Rift for quite some time and this game is absolutely perfect for it!  I can't wait to hear how you guys who are getting the prototypes make out.  I almost went for it as well but like others have said I decided to wait for the first time in my life.  

The things that may hurt some people are that to get a high resolution that core-PC gamers are used to it may require some beefy hardware, which won't be an issue for those core-PC gamers, but the casuals.  You need to maintain 60fps stereo, with v-sync, and 2-prerendering frames iirc.  This is where perhaps the 720p sets will be ok.  I clocked in before the last patch at 100-120fps maxed out at 1920*1080 and have a lot of wiggle room left on this rig.  SLI/X-fire guys should have no issue.

Found the thread! ;)

I'm eagerly waiting the details on this when people get it in their hands.  I almost pulled the trigger this afternoon on one, but then I remembered to wait and see how the finished model was going to end up looking like.  I think 720p is playable, but for once, just once in my life, I'm going to wait it out and not be an early adopter.

A proper head tracking VR headset would be killer for a game like this.

We were supposed to have them before Xmas, but they had to find a different screen so it pushed back a few months.  The plus side was the new screens have wider FOV and are less pixelated.  Still far from the consumer version but for sure better from what I read.

So long as this isn't the "Virtual Boy" 2.0, all will be good :)

:Ds  I had to google Virtual Boy 2.0.  Good one!

medal

We were supposed to have them before Xmas, but they had to find a different screen so it pushed back a few months.  The plus side was the new screens have wider FOV and are less pixelated.  Still far from the consumer version but for sure better from what I read.

Good old nintendo lasik machine.  I remember being all hyped for that and I tried it out.  I saw red lines for about 10 minutes after using it.

I saw they made some generic cup changes too for those who are normal and near sighted, which is good.  And the adjustable settings for those who wear glasses.  I hope this is the real deal.

Last night I posted that I'd managed to be responsible and hold out on the OR until the retail version, or at least heard some feedback from fellow players on the prototype many have coming soon.  

Today, I finally gave in and pre-ordered =P  I figured $300 isn't that much money to be one of the first to have this toy.  A while back I tried using a Sony HMZ-T1 and a TrackIR5 in conjunction.  The TrackIR was awesome but the Sony HMD was lousy.  It was uncomfortable as hell, blurry around the edges of the image, and the FOV still felt like looking at a screen.. albeit a nice size LCD TV in a dark room.  

For me the OR is going to shine most in games where I can use totally immersive peripherals...  I'm playing this game with a HOTAS plus Combat rudder pedals...  wearing the OR should be total immersion!  The same controls work for MechWarrior Online the same way, and racing games will be great with a nice steering wheel, pedals, and shifter setup.  I will definitely be sucking up the price and buying a really good racing setup some time in the not-too-near future.  The one I was reading about last year was the Fanatec setup, it had realistic lock to lock turns, pressure instead of travel actuated brake, clutch pedal, and a pattern shifter available which you mount in a realistic location all by itself.  I'm gonna be in bad shape financially after buying that getup but hey, it's a dream come true!