Sign in to follow this  
Scarper

Questions answered by White_w0lf - maps and missions designer #2

Q: There were talks about a test map with an interesting mechanic - DOTA-like. Are you planning to make an event with something like that?

A: Don’t get confused by maps and missions - missions are made on maps! Yes, I was creating DOTA-like gameplay with creeps and towers. It was fun, but we would need to work more on it if we to show it to public.

Q: I think that tankers would love to have 16x16km missions! 20 minutes to drive to reach the city, to make tactic before the fight while you are driving, separate by flanges etc. That would be a real gameplay!

A: Most players are not interested in 20 minutes of driving with 5 seconds until the death.

Q: What tank maps are you working on?

A: Several new ones are in the progress at the moment, plus we are improving (gameplay and visuals) old ones.

Q: When we will see winter map? What map will it be?

A: To early to speak about it. We need to improve our current ones first - there are still places where you can stuck on your vehicle.

Q: Many maps have angles on the landscape. It even looks like a triangle sometimes and not only looks bad, but you can damage your tracks on it. Will you smooth it up?

A: Yes, we will fix it.

Q: Any plans to increase size of the current tank maps?

A: Some maps will indeed get increase, for example, Jungles recently got additional road for flanking and players already use it.

Q: Anything about ground on the maps? Will you implement soft ground effects? Right now the ground feels like made from iron and you able to damage your tracks on it.

A: That is a question to our programmes. its not an easy task and they are working on it. I can say that in nearest patches you will be able to see first iteration of that system. As you know on Kursk its almost impossible to jump through the trench, in new patch the ground in there will be “softened” and you can easily drive through it.

Q: I would love to have something strategic to capture for tank missions in SB and not just piece of the ground with chalk-drawn circle on it.

A: We are working on that direction.

Q: What maps based on theater of military operations are priority right now?  Eastern/Western front, Africa, Mediterranean?

A: Eastern front. At due time we will have winter maps as well.

Q: I don’t think that 4x4km maps are all that big.

A: Bigger the map - harder it is to find each other on them. Imagine situation where only you and one enemy left on a huge map. How will you find each other on bigger maps?

Q: I would love to see haze on maps! Or you are not planing to do any african maps and never thought about adding that effect?

A: First - eastern front. Haze, much like deserts, are not in priority right now, since we don’t have anything to actually battle on them.

Q: Can I make my own idea about how tank maps should look like in CDK?

A: Of course! That is why CDK is available for players at the first place!

Q: You were talking about searching for another player on the huge map… why should I search? I will just go and capture the point!

A: On bigger maps you should also have longer capture point times so others can react to that. You would have to capture point for 4-5 minutes, I don’t think many would enjoy that either.

Q: Are you planning to move airport on the Kursk map closer to the main tank battle? Not always aviation manages to join the fight in time on it.

A: I was creating that map for SB specifically, so I intentionally put airfields further away. We were planing completely different mission for RB, but players didn’t like it much and we turned SB one instead.

First Part Here Ground Forces

Second Part Here Ground Forces

Third Part Here Ground Forces

Fourth Part Here Aircraft

Fifth Part Here Aircraft

Sixth Part Here Maps & Missions

• Upvote 4

Thank you both for taking the time.  :salute:

I would of liked more precise answers, but these are still satisfying. 

2fast4Fors

Edited by iSnuffles

\o/
  • Upvote 1
medal medal

I would have asked why on most maps a certain nation can win by just running away and let ground forces AI to the job but I missed that one.

Q: I think that tankers would love to have 16x16km missions! 20 minutes to drive to reach the city, to make tactic before the fight while you are driving, separate by flanges etc. That would be a real gameplay!

A: Most players are not interested in 20 minutes of driving with 5 seconds until the death.

Terrible question and terrible answer.

We don't need 20 minutes drive in order to fix the problems. That however does not mean that shooting each other 8 seconds out of spawn on T3+ is a better alternative.

Can we please get some sense on both sides? What we have right now for maps clearly is not working for T3+, but there definately is a middle ground here between infinity large maps and shoeboxes. Kurks shows that. Can we give credit to that and encourage them to work this idea out further rather then take it to ridiculous extremes that just weaken our point?

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal

tbh ...i would like some maps that give you a sense of realism in SB ....you drive like for example 5 minutes to where the combat zone starts and then you can either go in full retard and get shot after 30 seconds driving or you could sneak up further into the combat zone .

also you could develop better tactics on maps as big as that.

Attackers/fast tanks/ tank destroyers could cut off supplies (new joined in tanks) etc ....you cant say that doesnt sound good for SB or for events ?!

Terrible question and terrible answer.

We don't need 20 minutes drive in order to fix the problems. That however does not mean that shooting each other 8 seconds out of spawn on T3+ is a better alternative.

Can we please get some sense on both sides? What we have right now for maps clearly is not working for T3+, but there definately is a middle ground here between infinity large maps and shoeboxes. Kurks shows that. Can we give credit to that and encourage them to work this idea out further rather then take it to ridiculous extremes that just weaken our point?

To be honest, the dev was really just answering the question asked, which was a 20 min drive pre-battle. The person asking the question didn't mention any problems with the current system at all, which is why the dev didn't address it in his response. Makes sense to me.

medal medal medal medal

that's crap answers in regards to SB mode. Bigger maps and more driving around. i don't mind 20 min of driving the last 5 secs before death are the most thrilling that's why i play SB only. SB mode is for adults and not for some ASD kiddo that has the attention span of a gold fish. Keep the twitch shooter cqb maps for arcade and realistic and give the sim fan base what it wants. Bigger maps more control of airplanes and tanks.

medal medal medal medal