El Barca Responds - Strictly Flight Model Questions

ElBarca

• Developer

Hello world!

Im here to answer questions related to development of the Flight Models :salute:

• Upvote 111

When will all current planes in game have control stiffening implemented?

The 109 K-4 has control stiffening while the Mustang doesnt.

And why does the G8N1 have such a fragile flight model? It rolls over with total stability loss on a hit to one of its wings.

Edited by Spitfire_
  • Upvote 10
medal medal

• Developer

Is there a chance to look into alternative ways to implement limitations for engine overboosting?

Tying it in with thermodynamics is not very realistic. I know you want to limit people to what manual said, but it's not realistic and the ways we deal with it (like shock cooling the engine so we can WEP some more) are even less realistic. One of the problems is that it makes planes perform significantly worse with automatic engine controls, because the automatic engine AI opens the radiator when it shouldn't, and so it's impossible to get, for instance, accurate maximum level flight speed on automatic control.

Can you try to think of an alternative solution? In old Aces High, you had a strict counter after which the emergency power shut off. Or perhaps - you could fine the pilots (with 75% of repair cost maybe) if it's exceeded, while keeping overheating for situations where planes really did overheat (like slow maximum power climbs on most radials of the day, and some inlines too had cooling issues)?

The current solution is not very satisfying, and not very realistic.

(My second issue is with the battle rating system usage in Simulator, but that's more of a problem with game design, and not flight modeling as such)

We do consider the options you have named. But first of all we need to develop proper thermodynamics. Currently it only serves to limit WEPing, but it is not the final variant for sure

• Upvote 36

How accurate are the Bf 109 series flight models? Are they still to be tweaked or do you concider them working as intended?
  • Upvote 26
medal medal

Hello there and thank you both for doing this !

Firstly for ELBarca,

question 1, Is the Ta-152 H1's flight model still being fine tuned?

question 2 , What data are you using to define the Fm of the upcoming Ho/Go229?

and a third for Lassar, Which version of the Ju287 are you building up?

Thank you for your time !

Edited by TG_survivor707
  • Upvote 3

Question to the flight model team,

With regards to joysticks in RB/SB, some planes are a lot more joystick friendly than others. For example the P-47 is widely considered the most stable and pilot friendly aircraft to fly in the game. Most, however, are not.  

Is this the sign of a finished or well-made flight model or does it have to do with the P-47 itself and its characteristics? Is there a consideration to make all planes fly as well as the P-47 with a joystick in terms of smoothness and responsiveness?

Thank you for your time.   :salute: 

• Upvote 1
medal

El Barca, could you tell us what percentage of the aircraft in-game currently have correct flight models?

• Upvote 21
medal

Why do you choose to release planes that have blatantly incomplete/broken flight models (like the F-82E), rather than just waiting until they are at least in a usable state before releasing them?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 15

Will we be seeing a future update for superchargers? I've noticed that some planes simply don't have them (when they actually did), or don't change stages when they should. This means a loss in power in some planes that should be able to keep it while climbing up into higher altitudes.

Speaking of which, when will noticeable high altitude performance be implemented? Currently as is, there is a decline in power up to about 10Km, after which everything dies out pretty much instantly. Even before that, around 8Km you'll see a sharp decline in performance. I'm not saying we have to fly to the moon or anything, but I just want to be able to see a difference in performance between a plane that typically operates around 4km, and one that operates around 8.

Another question (or two): Will we be seeing any of the early/late P47 variants sometime soon in the future?  If so, then the current P47s ingame can be properly tiered, as well as slight FM changes (to take in consideration of the prop of the D-28). Sure the early D model mentioned before would essentially be a C razorback variant with some changes, but what about P47M/N? That's another tier 4 plane for US that could do well with little work. They're faster, climb better, and visually almost the same (wings obviously being the most different). I think I could deal with a boosted FM of the current P47 (to match later variants or close to) until a proper one is made. Can't forget the German Premium, its actually a razorback historically, will that ever be changed?

How about the field modification that added 2 20mm gun pods on the P47?

Absolutely last question   :crazy:

XP-72 as a premium perhaps? 6x.50s, 4x.50s + 2 37mm's, or 4 37mm cannons perhaps? Am I asking for too much?  :lol:

• Upvote 3

Since the next patch is the rumored Japanese update patch, I think it is appropriate that I ask a question related to the flight models of the Japanese airplanes.

It is rumored, or perhaps even a known fact, that when the war ended, most of the documents describing pretty much every single fighting machine used by the Empire of Japan of that time has been lost or destroyed on purpose. As such, obtaining accurate information about the performance of those machines, specifically airplanes, an almost impossible task.

If you are allowed to release such information, how do you go about obtaining those documents and confirming they are authentic and accurate in their description of the aircraft's performance? Are some or all of them originally from Japan or even flight tests of countries who may have tested these aircrafts during or after the war ended?

• Upvote 23
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

will the Ta 152H-1 get his 30min. (or maybe even 20min.) minimum feul back?

the plane was rarely flown with 45min. of feul because it primarily defended it's own base or protect nearby ground forces.

• Upvote 5
medal medal medal

Currently many players find the dive speed limits set on aircraft unrealistic as most aircraft reached compressibility long before the airframe failed. is there any chance the current implementation might change soon to something more realistic ( I.E replace wing rip off for something like heavy elevator stiffening when appropriate so additions like dive recovery flaps have a purpose).

Edited by Rumpullpus
  • Upvote 8
medal medal

• Developer

hello guys, thank you for this topic.
I want to know can japan zero get back with 30 min of fuel ?

Is TA-152's minimal fuel load (45mins ) intended?

Fuel load is determined dynamicly, i.e. there are no custom sets of fuel for individual aircraft it all depends on full fuel load and consumption of the engines

• Upvote 17

Strictly FM Related - No when will you add blah blah? No When will you fix DM - No why dont you add the Plasma Mk4 to the PO-2.

Thankyou.

• Upvote 17

Is the Twin Mustang getting a new or fixed flight model? right now it's hard to fly, it doesn't climb or turn well at all. Is it accurate? I don't know about planes, I only know about games sorry, so maybe it is 100% accurate I don't know, I just know it's a pain to try and fly, and that most people are avoiding it.

Thank you for your time :3

Edited by Echorion
  • Upvote 3
medal medal medal

Is the russian plane´s flight model considered "balanced" in the development team´s eyes, or is there a consensus that the russian nation in general should be looked upon. Many in the community call them UFOs...

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal

Could you post something about them someday in the dev blog, I find the articles written there, very useful and interesting.

For example, main parameters, the basic rules you follow in order to implement them, whatever you are able and want to share with us.

I don't really know how you implement them, or how you interpret the charts. So a basic guide for people without such knowledge, coud be useful.

• Upvote 2
medal medal

• Developer

Is the Twin Mustang getting a new or fixed flight model? right now it's hard to fly, it doesn't climb or turn well at all. Is it accurate? I don't know about planes, I only know about games sorry, so maybe it is 100% accurate I don't know, I just know it's a pain to try and fly, and that most peopel are avoiding it.

Thank you for your time :3

As far as i remember we already released some fixes for Twin-Mustang, if there are still some issues - we gonna fix them as well. But dont get me wrong - it will take some time, since its hard to cruise between that many flight models :)
  • Upvote 8

Is the Ki-10 going to get a new FM? Right now, in AB it can go straight up in the air, if WEP'ing you do not lose speed at all, or you lose speed, but you don't stall and keep accelerating after a few seconds.

In RB it's like AB, but a little bit more realistic.

A lot of aircraft when you equip bombs; their FM is reduced from clean if you chose ordinance and dropped it. 

The P-38 came straight from the factory with those pylons (starting with the F model) installed and therefore all test data should be with Pylons installed as well.     When the P-38 is redone; will the performance be equivalent to clean once the bombs are dropped, should we see a performance increase if no ordinance is taken (if the pylons are removed as other aircraft,) or will the pylons still be represented even if no ordinance is selected?

Edited by Sidiros
  • Upvote 3
medal medal medal