moeburn

I have found The Best controller setup for tanking in War Thunder

RFCyvPW.jpg

So I've got a pretty large selection of input devices for my PC, and I was trying to figure out what would be the best option for driving tanks. I wanted something analog so that I could steer more precisely than having to pulse-width-modulate my WSAD key presses, and also so that I could drive slow enough to fire on the move without having to brake and then wait for the suspension to settle. The Xbox 360 controller seemed like the best option, but it put me at a HUGE disadvantage in aiming. I was born a mouse gamer, and as much as I've gotten into liking the 360 controller for many games, nothing substitutes a mouse aiming in games.

So I figured out a way to use both the mouse for aiming in my right hand, and the 360 gamepad for steering in my left hand. This means that the entire right half of the 360 gamepad is useless, because it would mean taking my hand away from the aiming controls. Turns out, there aren't a whole lot of controls you need for tanking in WT - I have a bunch of buttons left over.

LT/right mouse for zoom/sniper mode, LB/left mouse to shoot, left stick button to select target (for radio reporting), left stick x axis for steering, left stick y axis for throttle/brake/reverse, DPAD left/up/right for ammo types 1,2,3, DPAD down for artillery, back button for fire suppression. And my mouse happens to have a wheel with tilt left/right functions that can be bound to keyboard keys. I have them set up for gear down/gear up if I'm ever feeling brave enough to drive manual transmission in the tanks.

I feel this setup is VITAL for my success in tanks in War Thunder. I don't know if it is my skill, or my setup, or if it's because 95% of tankers in War Thunder have the skill of a malnourished mallard, but I come in first place on nearly EVERY arcade match. Every time. It has gotten so ridiculous that sometimes, if I'm feeling particularly ballsy, I'll pull a Babe Ruth and actually call out not only the fact that I will come in 1st place at the end of the round, but also what my score will be down to the hundreds. I haven't been wrong about 1st place yet...

I highly recommend everyone else try this setup at least once for tanking - I'm very curious as to whether or not it is giving me an advantage, or if I'm just skilled.

Edited by moeburn
  • Upvote 4

I am happy for you although I think there is a little too much self gloating in there, but hey confidence is key in war and love right?

• Upvote 2
medal medal

One thing I find bad about that setup, is that your stability of the controller is A LOT less than a keyboard, potential slips, drags and other movements could throw the hand off.

On another note, I find that the WASD for movement is just as good as an analogue stick. If you want to drive slowly, why not use the CC? (E,Q are the settings for me)

What tier in tanks do you play? What country?

• Upvote 1
medal

One thing I find bad about that setup, is that your stability of the controller is A LOT less than a keyboard, potential slips, drags and other movements could throw the hand off.

On another note, I find that the WASD for movement is just as good as an analogue stick. If you want to drive slowly, why not use the CC? (E,Q are the settings for me)

What tier in tanks do you play? What country?

Just saying one word:

Gears

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

Just saying one word:

Gears

Exactly, set it to what you want and away you go. (What does CC stand for? I assume it's Clutch Control or something, but do tanks have clutches?)

medal

CC stands for cruise control.

It's not really realistic, but it lets you just go without having to hold the button down on the keyboard.

medal medal

Ah, hybrid controls.  Any PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4 owner worth their dual shock knows about that setup and has used it before in various games.  Haven't used it in WT yet, but I first used it in Quake II on the PSone.  Also works great in PS2 Half Life and Deus Ex.  Also Dust 514.  Best of both worlds.

medal

troopers how does the clutch work it has a min and max value but not using a trigger if i can help it, its the onky o e i stuck on for my tanker setup for x52 pro and to engage a round Zoom button to vary the zoom, however axis is detected But fails to seat.

I use my joy stick... the pitch axis controls forward and reverse, the yaw axis controls my turning. Various buttons on the stick control primary and secondary weapons, zoom and sniper modes, plus other functions. My left hand is free for the keyboard and the track pad for aiming... plus the occasional whiskey for drinking...

medal medal

I use logitech G602 mouse in right hand to control the plane, CH pro Throttle in left hand for throttle and a lot of assigned buttons, and Track Ir for looking around. I also have the CH Fighterstick right next to the mouse to make some maneuvers.

Works like a charm.

medal medal medal medal medal

@moeburn

Please can you confirm that your tank throttle and steering is full analog? When I setup a joystick on a gamepad, my throttle seems to have 2 positions only. 95% and 100% Also the steering shows similar behavior. No matter what I change in the settings.

I made a pretty kickass Steam controller config, but the in-game settings had to be adjusted perfectly to it, and it was still confusing to use.

Then as soon as I made it, one of my hard drive partitions went down, so I lost the in-game config forever, and just went back to KB/M.

Really, I should try making it again, now that Steam controllers have better config options. Could be even better this time.

Edited by Wusten_Fuchs