Avro Lancaster - Visual reprisentation of ordinance options

Smin1080p

As we are now getting 2 more Lancaster's in the form of the B Mk I and II as shown on the new British tree, I thought it would be handy to show its full ordinance capability as a bomber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTQIUEa4cqA

Thanks to holyforehead  for finding some really useful images of these bomber payloads. Source of the images and for other bombers can be found here: http://ws-clave.deviantart.com/gallery/25884810/Bomb-Loads?offset=0 

lancaster_load_1_by_ws_clave-d3bgdl2.jpg

lancaster_load_2_by_ws_clave-d3bo4x9.jpg

lancaster_load_3_by_ws_clave-d3bo523.jpg

lancaster_load_4_by_ws_clave-d3bo581.jpg

lancaster_load_5_by_ws_clave-d3bo5bz.jpg

lancaster_load_6_by_ws_clave-d3bo5gl.jpg

lancaster_load_7_by_ws_clave-d3bo5ki.jpg

lancaster_load_8_by_ws_clave-d3bo5ot.jpg

Area Bombing Raids (Industrial Demolition)

b2.jpg

Bomber Command Executive Codeword: "ABNORMAL"

Target Type: Factories, Rail yards, Dockyards

- 14 x 1,000 lb Medium Case (MC), General Purpose (GP) RDX or US short-finned High Explosive (HE) bombs. With mix of instantaneous (nose-armed) and long-delay (up to 144 hours, tail-armed) fusing.

• Upvote 15

Thanks for making a thread on these Smin!  :salute:

The only 3 of these payloads I can understand not being implemented are the last three because of the modifications made to the Lanc to be able to carry them... (And of course we have no need for a dam busting bomb in the game!)

But I wouldn't mind seeing a 12,000lb HC bomb  ;)s

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal medal

You missed the best one!

Abnormal, 14 x 1000lb bombs

I know, that was an option along with 14 x 500 lb and 250 lb. But I don't think this is all of her payloads as I can see quite a few missing. These were just the most commonly used / famous I would assume.

This is the one:

Area Bombing Raids (Industrial Demolition)

b2.jpg

Bomber Command Executive Codeword: "ABNORMAL"

Target Type: Factories, Rail yards, Dockyards

- 14 x 1,000 lb Medium Case (MC), General Purpose (GP) RDX or US short-finned High Explosive (HE) bombs. With mix of instantaneous (nose-armed) and long-delay (up to 144 hours, tail-armed) fusing.

• Upvote 2

Its called "Abnormal" but it was actually the most used loadout for the trips to the Ruhrgebiet.

medal medal medal

Its called "Abnormal" but it was actually the most used loadout for the trips to the Ruhrgebiet.

Just the RAF code word I would assume. They had a tendency for that :P

The devs know about this since forever, all this material was already presented quite a while ago. They are not willing to introduce it atm, since the bombloads would be so asymetrical to the others. I'll refrain on commenting that, but there you have it.

medal medal medal

Here's a photograph of what looks like the 'payload #6' about to be loaded onto a Lancaster.

RAAF-Lancaster-bombing-up.jpg

Edited by Lt_Cdr_Lowe
medal

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Fun fact: Tallboys were used to sink the Tirpitz.

All bombs before that wouldn't even dent the deck.

Edited by Banicks
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 1 year later...

Please, oh PLEASE let the Grand Slam be available :D My god would that be fun to eliminate airfields... :D :D :D

The only problem with the Grand Slam, is one bomb and you'd destroy all 3 enemy bases and the airfield in one go.

The Earthquake it would cause would rupture the structures, there's a reason why it only went through one practice drop before they decided to use it

medal

• 5 months later...

This article on the Lancaster "Thumper Mk III", interestingly the last flying Lancaster in Britain, gives a nice history of a Lancaster which dropped the Tallboy and 12,000lb HC bombs.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/theaircraft/lancasterthumpermkiii.cfm

It was a Lancaster B1 retrofitted with bulged bomb bay doors to carry the large bombs. According to Wikipedia, the B1 Specials also had up-rated engines and paddle bladed propellers to give more power, so this would likely have to be a new aircraft rather than a modification to the current B1 :(. Therefore I wouldn't be surprised if they put it in as a premium, although they could save that slot for the more heavily modified Grand Slam carrying aircraft. I really hope they add it to the main tree since it's something people have wanted for a long time, and won't be game breaking if everyone uses it; a single large bomb doesn't actually have much tactical use apart from taking out airfields, for everything else they are overkill. Despite this, it's something that many people want for a couple of reasons. The historical significance and the fact it's a gigantic bomb :D. Unfortunately these reasons also make it good premium material. It would certainly give a good reason to grind the British bomber line and highlight their glass cannon nature.

medal

• 3 weeks later...
On 10 July 2016 at 3:23 PM, Bordpie said:

This article on the Lancaster "Thumper Mk III", interestingly the last flying Lancaster in Britain, gives a nice history of a Lancaster which dropped the Tallboy and 12,000lb HC bombs.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/theaircraft/lancasterthumpermkiii.cfm

It was a Lancaster B1 retrofitted with bulged bomb bay doors to carry the large bombs. According to Wikipedia, the B1 Specials also had up-rated engines and paddle bladed propellers to give more power, so this would likely have to be a new aircraft rather than a modification to the current B1 :(. Therefore I wouldn't be surprised if they put it in as a premium, although they could save that slot for the more heavily modified Grand Slam carrying aircraft. I really hope they add it to the main tree since it's something people have wanted for a long time, and won't be game breaking if everyone uses it; a single large bomb doesn't actually have much tactical use apart from taking out airfields, for everything else they are overkill. Despite this, it's something that many people want for a couple of reasons. The historical significance and the fact it's a gigantic bomb :D. Unfortunately these reasons also make it good premium material. It would certainly give a good reason to grind the British bomber line and highlight their glass cannon nature.

The he grand slam lanc would be nice, and it would lay waste to anything. However, the only issue is that it would be destroyed before it got to where it had to go. With all guns removed with the exception of the rear turret it would be fodder. As it is now in game (the lancs we already have) they're just to weak and easy to kill. The only saving grace is they have guns all over and can offer just a little defence and the slim chance of making it through to the target. 

With a grand slam lanc, the lack of protection would mean anyone could afford to take time in trying to take it out as the only defence is behind it. They could attack unopposed from above, below, the front, the sides... 

Still.....

that at bomb though..... You'd see the blast across the map haha. 

medal

According to this article, apparently the Grand Slam carrying aircraft could keep the mid turret, if it limited the ammo for the rear turret to 5000 rounds.

http://www.wwiiequipment.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=113:22000lb-grand-slam-bomb&catid=43:bombs&Itemid=60

I don't know if the rear turret kept all 4 of it's guns, but it's certainly not as bad as just having the rear turret.

medal