BellatorMonk

ISU-122 - Questions, Information, Gameplay

A-19 was an artillery, not an AT gun.

Incorrect partly, the A-19 122 was used with the ISU-122 and the IS-2 as a VARIANT of the standard A-19, so it was used as both a tank gun on the IS-2 (D-25T) and the ISU-122 (A-19s).  :salute:

I am quite shocked that I do not see tons of ISU-122S running around in ground force matches. With the recent buff to it's rate of fire, it really is a great TD. I have a pretty good crew and trained to expert I have the  reload down to 16.8 seconds. 16.8 seconds with a 122 is pretty deadly. Add in the fact it only has a 6.0 BR and you can fill buckets with the Wheraboo tears you will collect. It also has decent frontal armor at 90mm and a huge gun mantlet. So why do I not see more of these things on the battlefield? It is awesome, I mean it is Russian ya know!

Sb9dovP.png

Edited by Tank3rDude

wotertool (Posted )

Merged
  • Upvote 2
medal medal

I don't have any Russian tanks, but probably the same reason you don't see many Panzer IV/70s: play style and preference.

Play style:  IV/70 has great gun, good armor, low profile, 5.3 BR (The BR everyone says the Tiger I H should get), and cheap repairs.  However, like all TDs, it has a very particular play style, one that a lot of players either don't seem to understand, or aren't interested in adhering to.

Preference: In the IV/70's case, everyone's more interested in getting a Tiger and a Panther.  Only the real history fans have heard of the Panzer IV/70.  I imagine in the Su-122's case, everyone's more interested in getting T-34s and IS's

Just my two cents

• Upvote 1
medal

Even with it's buffed fire rate, it takes allot of know how to range in and hit with it at long distances. It's kinda not a newb friendly tank with its massive size and no armor either. Only time I really played it I got Kursk and a Panther ended me pretty quickly. After that I just lost the will to play Russian tanks. But anyway, the tanks good but not really that much better than its competition (to me the Jpz.IV (V) is more fun).
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I guess I just know how to use it or something, or maybe  I just have good luck with it for a change. I am having a blast in it. I find that people tend to under rate it's effectiveness and if I am next to a team mate in say a Panther D, they will always try to kill the Panther first which usually allows me to either A) one shot them if I am loaded or B) reload and one shot them since they fired their shot at the Panther next to me, thanks to the fast reload. So many people think they can fire 2-3 times before I can reload, which is a grave mistake. I also find it's armor to be somewhat useful, unless I am just again getting lucky. Since it has a BR of 6.0 I get to be top tier in 50% of the games which means the toughest thing I am up against is Tiger I H and Panther D , G, and A which can all have a tough time getting through 90mm at a distance. Only the Panther's with APCR pose a real threat at range. Now if you wind up in a BR 6.7 match its a whole different story.

Edited by Tank3rDude
  • Upvote 1
medal medal

is 122 is like IS2 munus already bad armor minus turret traverse. Doesnt make a big diffirence both are suicidal because the opposition has ammo that goes through the tank and there are no turret angles which is rly rly bad on the current maps esp like Kuban.

• Upvote 1
medal medal

well I have played this tank mostly in AB and is good, remember that the variant with the A-19 is 5.7...you have a good TD to deal with panthers and tigers in that BR. now this ones with the D-25t is good I've used it as a TD and is really good.

medal medal

I guess I just know how to use it or something, or maybe  I just have good luck with it for a change. I am having a blast in it. I find that people tend to under rate it's effectiveness and if I am next to a team mate in say a Panther D, they will always try to kill the Panther first which usually allows me to either A) one shot them if I am loaded or B) reload and one shot them since they fired their shot at the Panther next to me, thanks to the fast reload. So many people think they can fire 2-3 times before I can reload, which is a grave mistake. I also find it's armor to be somewhat useful, unless I am just again getting lucky. Since it has a BR of 6.0 I get to be top tier in 50% of the games which means the toughest thing I am up against is Tiger I H and Panther D , G, and A which can all have a tough time getting through 90mm at a distance. Only the Panther's with APCR pose a real threat at range. Now if you wind up in a BR 6.7 match its a whole different story.

Nope both the normal AP of the Pak42 and the KwK36 can pen you easily up to 1000m, you probably got shot from a weird angle

medal medal medal medal medal

Well, people can dog this thing all they want. Heck, the less people that play it the more I will benefit. People are not used to seeing this TD and are not sure how to deal with it other than fling lead its way. But, I nearly every game kill at least 1 tank because they underestimate it's reload and abilities. I love this thing because I know how to use it's positives and work around it's negatives. Yes, it lacks a turret, and yes it's armor is not great. This means it is REALLY GOOD at holding choke points or ambushing. I will usually go to an area where there is only one way in or out and wait on one end for the enemy to come into my line of sight. It only needs one penetrating hit and at BR 6.0 there isn't anything it can't easily penetrate. 

• Upvote 1
medal medal

well I have played this tank mostly in AB and is good, remember that the variant with the A-19 is 5.7...you have a good TD to deal with panthers and tigers in that BR. now this ones with the D-25t is good I've used it as a TD and is really good.

You are correct. It is especially good at dealing with the Tiger I ausf H spam. It can one shot them from 2000m+ while past 500m they struggle with your armor. It's fast reload is quite helpful too.

It's a whale.

Don't judge it until you drive it. Applies to all ISU tanks. I used to be like you. Then I unlocked it.

I have unlocked it and drove it multiple times before making this thread. Some people just are not comfortable in big cumbersome TD's that lack a turret. I guess I just know how to use them.

• Upvote 1
medal medal

The last thing i wanna drive is a xxxx 122mm zero depression, no turret, assdump turning, less than paper armour TD.

I'd rather waste my time playing RNG in an IS-3.

Edited by xenon90
medal medal

I have unlocked it and drove it multiple times before making this thread. Some people just are not comfortable in big cumbersome TD's that lack a turret. I guess I just know how to use them.

No depression.

Extremely slow.

Can't turn.

Extremely weak armor.

Tall like Mount Everest.

• Upvote 1
medal medal

Every time i play with the ISU-122 and a crew member is knocked out after the 9 seconds cooldown they never become 'active' again. ie if my driver is knocked out and after 9 seconds i am no longer able to move despite no damage. also happens with gun crew and loader not being able to load/fire after the 9 seconds recovery =[

wotertool (Posted )

Moved & Merged
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal

got the same issue

its horrible aint it =[ especially in RB/SB as it is your only vehicle and in RB it tends to happen early in game so ruins it all =[

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

may you report this as bug? i dont know how to take a picture of e game or record video of it

i would but too much hassle need clog files etc. i work 14 hours most days and when im not ive got my 10 month old and when im not doing that i'm rendering videos for youtube hah XD

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

ISU 122S is a great tank! It has very good reload and decent accuracy. There might be a strange bug that happens when your driver gets wounded. He doesn't come back! Overall it is a good tank, but the armor is pretty weak for 6.7 matches. Have to play very carefully.

• Upvote 1

Yeah it does have some drawbacks but it's no different the rest of the 122 armed tanks the Russian tree has. I mean it reloads almost as fast as the SU-100 with a much harder hitting gun. It also has more effective armor. The only real downfall is not that agile. But I do better in the ISU-122S then I do in the IS-2.

medal medal

KKK all tier IV of TDs are lower than the heavy and medium in the metagame. No one is crazy to take a slow tank without armor and without depression in the gun.

KKK all tier IV of TDs are lower than the heavy and medium in the metagame. No one is crazy to take a slow tank without armor and without depression in the gun.

true.  TDs and assault guns are not as competitive right now since they have similar BRs with their turreted counterparts. TDs and assault guns lack roles currently. However, they are fun to use and can be great tanks, albeit with much more care and attention.