BellatorMonk

ISU-122 - Questions, Information, Gameplay

When my loader is alive and healthy my reload is 30 seconds even with 50pts in the loading skill.  When he dies my reload goes to 1:03 or so.  Essentially the 122 becomes combat ineffective for the match once the loader dies.

Shouldn't the Radio man or commander take over loading and if so or already so isn't a 33 sec penalty a bit much for something as simple as loading a shell into the breech?

a bit much for something as simple as loading a shell into the breech?

hahaha you clearly didnt serve´d in the army :crazy:

loading a howitzer in 30sec is allready a goddamn miracle.....let alone doing that inside a cramped tank with powder fumes

z.gif

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/594807/30173963/in/keyword/3642763/self

this is the size of just the cartrigde :Os

z.gif

• Upvote 1

It may be a miracle, but its not really good gameplay wise

Game was marketed as (cough, cough) realistic....so decisions should be heavily swayed toward what was realistic NOT gameplay.

Loading a howitzer, usually consists of a two pice ammunition

-Open breech

-Grab the shell (25kg)

-Put the shell

-Grab the propellant

-Put the propellant

-Close breech

-Fire

Of course, you can't actually move freely, you're most likely cramped, in a hot steel box. And it moves.

No really, loading a howitzer in 30 seconds isn't THAT long.

Both thanks max speed is 38 Km/h.

Both tanks have the same gun D-25S and same ammo.

IS2 has some more armour.

IS2 also has a minor (sarcasm) practicality: a turret.

Why should one use the ISU122 instead of the IS2?

This is just the most striking example of how useless TDs are in this game, but overall all the TDs in WT don't pay up for the lack of mobility with some other extra quality.

I loved TDs in WoT, they were my preferred vehicles, because they HAD AN EDGE over other tanks in gun power, though they lacked armor and/or mobility.

This doesn't happen in WT.

And in fact you don't see many TDs around.

My opinion is that TDs should receive some extra feature to become appealing.

TD guns should not leave much chances when they hit you, in balancing their limited mobility and lack of turret.

If this is not going to happen, then they should be the only ones receiving extra camo module, and become more hidden on radar and hud.

What do you think?

Edited by BRAINDISIS
  • Upvote 4
medal medal medal

TDs need superior weapons in terms of damage / penetration/rate of fire or there will always be a heavy tank or MT mainly it'll be better than him. Place TDs with the same BR / tier and same weapons of HTs and MTs is Stupid in terms of balance. Devs should not ignore the balancing of a class that is one of the most used in the WoT (had several games with half the players with TDs). Furthermore, this game needs urgently a variety of gameplay. Edited by ALDERON

I went trough tier 1 to 5 in medium tanks

almost exclusively

Game modes at this moment favor medium tanks by huge margin

But TDs are way faster then same BR HTs..

Also medium tanks has one major advantage.

You can see behind rocks or any other objects that obstruct your vision

Therefore you can scout area and prepare your defense..

Infamous artillery sight.

Maybe there should be only one use of that option per barrage.

medal medal

tank that has 30 sec reload time for me is not a tank :) that has role in AB match.

It's a tank for some super uber sniper, because you can't really miss many shots when that's the reload time.

medal medal medal

umm, isu-122 can re spawn, is-2 can't? idk.   I would say though tds in general are still very good, and naturally a heavy tank, which is made for tank vs tank combat, is gonna get its gun from a tank destroyer, granted idk why the is-2 is .7 br lower then the isu-122. And also lots of tds are VERY mobile, my su-122 is a beastly thing in motion. Id say comparing medium tanks to tds is always more proper then mediums since and tds are the interchangeable unit, you would pick a td when you ant more fire power, by nature a heavy tank is just the best armor/gun wise, heavies are thicker skinned mediums with td guns, while a td trades a turret for a bigger gun compared to mediums

Logically the ISU would have a faster reload, but I guess that doesn't apply in game,  the only real reason is the 2nd respawn (I'm not 100% sure on this though), so yea,,,,

medal medal

interesting... the ISU is built on the Chassis of a Heavy Tank (IS) and gets 2 Spawns while the Jagdpanther, built on the Chassis of Medium Tank, gets 1 Spawn...

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

OK i was going by FixtheBrs statement... then i've said "nothing" (other then that 1 Spawn for the JP is not enough :P)

medal medal medal medal

stilll, is it not clear why the isu-122 is bad, they want you to get the su-122p :P its everything you want and say tds should have

Logically the ISU would have a faster reload, but I guess that doesn't apply in game,  the only real reason is the 2nd respawn (I'm not 100% sure on this though), so yea,,,,

welp, tds DO get faster reloads in this game, how ever keep in mind the gun in the isu-122 is NOT the same as is-2, the isu-122 S is the owner of td version of is-2 gun (with even HIGHER br), how ever the isu-122 with its inferior design (gun wise) still has a .7 higher br then is-2, so yeah, isu-122 worthless

interesting... the ISU is built on the Chassis of a Heavy Tank (IS) and gets 2 Spawns while the Jagdpanther, built on the Chassis of Medium Tank, gets 1 Spawn...

Game has a 45 ton limit between "medium" and "heavy", and for the 1x and 2x spawns.  The JagdPanther weighs as much as an IS-2 at 46 tons.  For that matter, it also weighs as much as an ISU-122.  The Su-100 weigns only at 31.6 tons.

medal medal medal medal medal

Both thanks max speed is 38 Km/h.

Both tanks have the same gun D-25S and same ammo.

IS2 has some more armour.

IS2 also has a minor (sarcasm) practicality: a turret.

Why should one use the ISU122 instead of the IS2?

This is just the most striking example of how useless TDs are in this game, but overall all the TDs in WT don't pay up for the lack of mobility with some other extra quality.

I loved TDs in WoT, they were my preferred vehicles, because they HAD AN EDGE over other tanks in gun power, though they lacked armor and/or mobility.

This doesn't happen in WT.

And in fact you don't see many TDs around.

My opinion is that TDs should receive some extra feature to become appealing.

TD guns should not leave much chances when they hit you, in balancing their limited mobility and lack of turret.

If this is not going to happen, then they should be the only ones receiving extra camo module, and become more hidden on radar and hud.

What do you think?

Nope.  JagdPanther and Elefant are the two best vehicles in the German Tier 4 tier.  Elefant facing Tiger 2 feels like a seal clubbing.   The Elefant is probably one of the most durable tanks in the game, when its hull down or angled, it can repeatedly bounce off any shot.  Adding to its survivability is that the Elefant seems to have one of the fastest retreats for any tank I've seen.  The JagdPanther feels more survivable than the Panther with its bouncy armor, it has one of the best front angles in the game and brings around that 88mm with great mobility.  

I see larger and larger numbers of JagdPanthers and Elefants around.

The Su's and the ISU's have awesome guns but they can't seem to take a hit nowadays.  The armor is a bit thin for the tier, and the sloping is no longer good enough on the SU and its horrible on the ISU.  Plus unlike the German TDs, they got bad depression.  

Of the Soviet TDs, the Su-100 is definitely the most popular right now, followed by the Su-122P, which tells you a lot are willing to shelve money for the premium.  The two Soviet TDs have the advantage of having 2x respawn, but not the ISU.  I don't really encounter that many ISU-122 in the game.  It also does not make sense when the ISU-122 has a BR 6.7 when the IS-2 only has 7.0.  The next ISU-122P has 7.0 which is the same as the IS-2 Mod 1944, which has the same gun, moving turret and thicker protection.  The ISU also has a horrible silhouette that makes it easier to hit.   The ISU is based on the same chassis as the IS so it doesn't feature any better mobiilty than the HT, not unlike the Su-100 and Su-122P which are based on the T-34 chassis.  The Su-152 has a similar issue of being based on the KV chassis, gets only one respawn and just feels a bit too slow compared to the T-34 based SUs.

Edited by Ahjian
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal

As i'm having a go at trying to max out/ace all the vehicles in the game i've aproached the ISU-122 with caution. Always glancing over it as i dread the time when i force myself to play it...
I havent played a single game with it yet as i'm currently working on other tanks but i have to ask.. Whats up with the ISU-122's 6.7BR?

Its absurd how bad this tank is when you compare it to other tanks around its BR. Hell. The ISU-122s is basically the same tank but with 12(!) second shorter reload time with only 0.3br higher.

All the soviet TD's have good guns but little to no defence against incomming shells...  (I mean.. 90mm armor that almost isnt angled at this  tier? No thanks..)
And then we got a 122mm cannon that's all and well.. But 37.1sec reloadtime (without training.) is absurd. The SU-152's 152mm howitzer is at 30.2. (without training.)
(And at 800m/s velocity vs 655m/s. shots. (122mm vs 152mm HE) the ISU-122 isnt that better at long range either...

The ISU-122 is even higher/taller than the SU-152 making it an easier target.
Not to mention it weighs a tiny bit more with worse enginepower (However; This might be because i got my engineparts for the SU-152 and not for the SU-122. Either way; The performance is worse in the ISU-122.)

Whats the point of this TD? The ISU-122s i can see a tiny bit of potential in due to the 2second faster reloadtime. than the IS-2 Mod44. (Yay. -_-)
I mean the normal IS-2 has better armor. A turret. Better speed and better.. Everything than the ISU-122 and is a whopping 0.7br lower.

Overall: We all know the BR is wonky and so on. But i never hear anything about the ISU-122. Maybe its just one of those tanks that everyone wants to forget it exists in the game.. I sure do at this point.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Essentially the ISU-122s are turret less versions of the IS-2 yet in higher BR (instead of lower) which makes absolutely no sense. 

This is what I said about the soviet TD line in another thread:

I think the IS-2 is just fine at 6 since it is in the middle of the Tiger and Tiger 2 where it should be.  The IS-2 44 is not on the same level as the tiger 2P (less turret armour, less reload, less armour pen) so it should be the same BR as the tiger 2P at 6.7 if not at br 6.3

The ISU-122 (37 second reload) should be an era 4 premium vehicle (because its performance is too unwieldy to put it in a proper place in the tech tree), but at BR 5.0 simply because of its armour advantage.  Even at that BR it will have troubles keeping up because of its reload, especially if it doesn't kill a tank or misses. At that BR it will still be ignored/flanked easily. The funny thing is: the t-34-57 premium is at the same BR, but I bet it will still perform much better than the ISU-122.

The ISU-152 should be era 4 and BR 5.3 with the SU-85m.  (The su-152 is BR 5.0 with the standard su-85).  Even at that BR the reload is making it non competitive.

The ISU-122S should be at BR 5.7

SU-100 is equivalent to the jagpanther, and really the jag has some one ups on it, so 6.7 is at the right spot.

The Object 704 could arguably be BR 7.0.  It is the only tank destroyer that properly belongs in era 5 (end of war/ post war)  It still will suffer from reload issues, but at least its armour will give it some protection.  Also the 704 had the same 152mm howitzer as the ISU-152, not talking about the WOT abomination with the long 152 anti tank gun.

Essentially ground forces battles need to become more like historical battles for these assault guns to come into play.  You need fortifications for the 122s and 152s to really come into play and have advantages over standard tanks and tank destroyers.

Edited by Lord_Tao
  • Upvote 3

Historically they had a different gun the 122 used A-19 tank testroyer gun with ST-18 telescopic sights with max targetting distance of 1.5km, while the 122s used D-25S gun with TSh-17 sights (same gun which was also used on IS-3 as D-25T). The 2nd gun on 122s was viewed as "better" tank destroyer gun.
However, by just looking at vehicle data sheet in game you cant see much difference between both vehicles beside the lower reload time on the S model.
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Historically they had a different gun the 122 used A-19 tank testroyer gun with ST-18 telescopic sights with max targetting distance of 1.5km, while the 122s used D-25S gun with TSh-17 sights (same gun which was also used on IS-3 as D-25T). The 2nd gun on 122s was viewed as "better" tank destroyer gun.
However, by just looking at vehicle data sheet in game you cant see much difference between both vehicles beside the lower reload time on the S model.

A-19 was an artillery, not an AT gun.

medal medal