Qosmius

IS-3 - Questions, Information, Gameplay

The pike nose is 225mm of armor when pointed directly at the enemy.

Lower plate is 180mm effective.

Turret is well over 220mm.

Only a APCR round from the KwK43 should penetrate the upper hull.

On even ground.  As Soon™™ as the shooting tank is at a higher elevation or is taller, the effectiveness of the pike goes down as the vertical angle is negated by the trajectory.  Similarly, the pike is most effective when not angled at all.  As soon as you start angling the pike, you lose effective armor on the oblique side.  Given the low profile of the IS-3, I suspect that a lot of the effective armor gained through slope is negated by taller tanks.

Edited by Pope_Shizzle
medal

Gee maybe Gaijin modeled the "poor" quality armor  and welds the plagued the first serial production runs of the Is-3s till they were recalled for re-manufacturing....

Only would be "balanced" seeing how the King Tiger H's turret is purposely modeled as to have"poor" quality  turret armor....

• Upvote 1

The roof plate, even at an extreme angle

Exactly the same on Tiger II.

Another armor problem beside the mantlets.

• Upvote 1
medal medal

Dont forget that every time you fire at longer ranges the arc the shell takes, negates the vertical Sloping so thats partly pike-nose sloping negated.

But taking account very low profile of IS3 and wierd design of the top of turret it maybe that shell penetrated top part of the turret above the gunmantlet.

medal

I've been playing the IS-3 a lot recently, as well as against it, and I've been seeing severe issues with the tank getting easily penetrated and 1-shotted through the front.

I've also been doing some testing as well. based on the 110mm angled armor on the hull front, a german tank with an 88 can penetrate the front within ~350m, outside of that range you should have to use APCR which should do minimal damage. however, this is not how i die/kill IS-3's the majority of the games i've played with them. the majority of the time i shoot/get shot through the turret mantlet; i.e. through the gun, and that is a problem in my opinion.

does anyone else find this to be an issue? i feel the IS-3 isn't even worth playing for the most part as you have an equal chance of survival playing the IS-2 and you get better games in the IS-2

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal

its a known issue. i still can do relatively well with it. But its like you need 50 bug reports on an issue for it to get any attention so i would recommend following the bug report steps and file one.

• Upvote 3

German players and some of the forum moderators will have you believe that IS-3 os op

YES, the IS-3 DM is bugged, the front armor was more reliable. I think devs are having problems modelating the angled shots. look at the cannon barrel, i have made some test and you can destroy it by firing at some extreme angles.

YES, is OP for what it is facing right now (Panther A, G)

Also realize that there is a huge shot trap on the bottom of the turret like early T-54's and Porsche Tiger II's.

But yeah. Right now the IS-3 is painful. I'm not sure if it's entirely a DM problem or also because it gets matched up to extremely high pen guns.
My frontal hull armor has never stopped a shot from any range, and I've never failed to pen an IS-3's frontal hull.

As mentioned in the title I have a "slight" problem with the IS-3 getting "combat-ineffective" from mostly any type of hits and your game is over.

The tank still looks intact, no ammo cookoff, no explosions, just "combat ineffective"?

1) First off, is this some sort of bug since I have never seen it happen to any other tank?

2) Second off, shouldn't all tanks become "combat ineffective" once you track them, crit the turret, gun, engine, radiator, sets them on fire and so on and so forth?

Any feedback is welcome! 

• Upvote 3

it's one of the only ways the IS-4M is killed, i've tried looking into this countless times but it just doesn't make any sense to me, i would just suggest waiting for the kill-cam system in 1.43 that was announced some time ago, then maybe it will be more clear

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I don´t think it´s crew damage, since the second most common way you get killed is "crew knocked out"?

I don´t think it´s crew damage, since the second most common way you get killed is "crew knocked out"?

Was thinking along the line that all but 1 crew member knocked out and he alone cant operate the vehicle even with the "trained crew bonus to multi crew". Again just brainstorming some ideas.
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Lock your hatches! hide yer crew! Cause they coming for you!

Was thinking along the line that all but 1 crew member knocked out and he alone cant operate the vehicle even with the "trained crew bonus to multi crew". Again just brainstorming some ideas.

Gotta say it sounds plausible, but how knows?

Maybe a german spy infiltrated the IS-3 Crew? :secret:

Damn those pesky spys with monkeywrenches...

Maybe Gaijin modeled the fact that the first 200-300 IS-3s had defective welds/armor and quite a few other issues that required major remanufacturing after all the victory parades impressed the Westerners with its futuristic looks..

OR (more likely)

Its yet another bug.

• Upvote 1

it's one of the only ways the IS-4M is killed, i've tried looking into this countless times but it just doesn't make any sense to me, i would just suggest waiting for the kill-cam system in 1.43 that was announced some time ago, then maybe it will be more clear

The IS 3 is incorrectly modeled in this game anyway. A 75mm can kill it from anywhere while that really shouldn't happen.

medal medal