Qosmius

IS-3 - Questions, Information, Gameplay

THE ARMOR IS NOT BROKEN.

Jesus people, do some testing before you make claims like that.  The armor on the IS-3 works fine.  The weak top armor on the turret is historically correct, and you can indeed shot trap a shell into the triangle bit right below the gun mantlet, which is also accurate.

The IS-3 is fine.  It's an entirely fair match against the King Tiger (H).  In fact it's the only heavy tank in the line that's a fair match.  The IS-2M is too weak against the Tiger II (P), and then IS-4M overpowers the Tiger II mit 105.

medal medal

THE ARMOR IS NOT BROKEN.

Jesus people, do some testing before you make claims like that.  The armor on the IS-3 works fine.  The weak top armor on the turret is historically correct, and you can indeed shot trap a shell into the triangle bit right below the gun mantlet, which is also accurate.

The IS-3 is fine.  It's an entirely fair match against the King Tiger (H).  In fact it's the only heavy tank in the line that's a fair match.  The IS-2M is too weak against the Tiger II (P), and then IS-4M overpowers the Tiger II mit 105.

According to the technical manual it should have 110mm covering the driver, but well leave it as it is now, but add all the ammo for the vehicle. not to mention books it is even in the russian wikipedia. lowe glacis is not 52ª it is 62ª example, etc. ect.

medal medal

The armour levels are wrong, maybe not broken as in the damage mode... but it does not have its historical armour. 

Nor ammo

medal medal

I love the Is3, such a change from all the other russian tanks, that are made of paper.

only issue is you start noticing the lacking penetration of 122mm at long range vs your new oponents (Ferdinand and KT(H))

medal medal medal medal medal medal

I feel bad for that one guy, especially with American tanks on the way.

Is this true? No, seriously, if there's only 1 guy who's working with the tanks' DMs, that's just absurd...

THE ARMOR IS NOT BROKEN.

Seems legit :D

Yo51Gvc.jpg

Ac1ZFQY.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLglPoxT_xA

Edited by G18AkimboPro
  • Upvote 3
medal

um.. King Tiger (H) is better than is3 at everything, except for mobility and silhouette (double edged sword, preventing you from lowering your gun and pissing your off..a lot). 

'

and while it was easy to kill Tiger B with 122mm, it is almost impossible at long ranges to kill Tiger H, unless tiger driver is a Ace or you get lucky, while his 88mm can still kill your is3 rather easy, unless you go hull down. However then be prepared to spend most of the time fixing your gun until tiger gets a lucky deflection of the gun mantle or hits your roof and you die

Edited by Madgelo
medal medal medal medal medal medal

Seems legit :D

Yo51Gvc.jpg

Ac1ZFQY.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLglPoxT_xA

Wot am APCR?

88mm L/71 APCR at close range can and should penetrate the turret face given the right angle.

There's nothing wrong with this.

medal medal

Wot am APCR?

88mm L/71 APCR at close range can and should penetrate the turret face given the right angle.

There's nothing wrong with this.

It wasnt apcr.

JMCORWa.jpg

Furthermore, look at the sloping of the top of the mantlet. At that angle, anything would riochet. Additionally it penetrates the entire gun itself, after going though the mantlet and kills the entire crew.

The second picture shows the other issue. The turret cheek is ~250mm, yet a gun of ~207 pen goes through.

Cant see how that is fine in any way.

Edited by G18AkimboPro
  • Upvote 3
medal

It wasnt apcr.

JMCORWa.jpg

Furthermore, look at the sloping of the top of the mantlet. At that angle, anything would riochet. Additionally it penetrates the entire gun itself, after going though the mantlet and kills the entire crew.

The second picture shows the other issue. The turret cheek is ~250mm, yet a gun of ~207 pen goes through.

Do you even bother looking at the penetration figures and the armor profiles in the garage?

The 88mm L/71 has a penetration out the barrel of over 230mm or so iirc.  The turret cheek is also not a uniform thickness.  At certain angles, a shot can get lucky and penetrate, it happens.

Shots to the top of a turret often bounce into the turret through the turret room.  It happens on all tanks including the King Tiger itself where a shot will hit the cupola and then magically bounce unto the turret cause Gaijin physics.  It is not a problem unique to the IS-3.  

Minor damage model quirks are common to all tanks in the game.  It's nothing unique to the IS-3.

medal medal

It wasnt apcr.

JMCORWa.jpg

hey akimbo how do you get those kill cam screens? do they show up in replays or are you just fast at hitting the screenshot button?

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal

hey akimbo how do you get those kill cam screens? do they show up in replays or are you just fast at hitting the screenshot button?

They show up in replays. You need to press 2 when you spectate your tank.

• Like 1
medal

Do you even bother looking at the penetration figures and the armor profiles in the garage?

The 88mm L/71 has a penetration out the barrel of over 230mm or so iirc.  The turret cheek is also not a uniform thickness.  At certain angles, a shot can get lucky and penetrate, it happens.

Shots to the top of a turret often bounce into the turret through the turret room.  It happens on all tanks including the King Tiger itself where a shot will hit the cupola and then magically bounce unto the turret cause Gaijin physics.  It is not a problem unique to the IS-3.  

Minor damage model quirks are common to all tanks in the game.  It's nothing unique to the IS-3.

Infact i did. Ive marked the 2 tanks for you here. Id say distance is ~300m, hard to tell

KIudw1C.jpg

At that distance the tiger 2 should have about 205mm penetration.

Meanwhile, from the angle he hit me at, this is about the lowest effective armor the gun mantlet should have.

7cRybKt.jpg

Furthermore, this is the armor profile of the turret cheek of the IS3. Its 220mm all around in game (thats not correct irl i think, but its the values ingame)

C5BLmxj.jpg

YXUkn1S.jpg

• Upvote 6
medal

Infact i did. Ive marked the 2 tanks for you here. Id say distance is ~300m, hard to tell

KIudw1C.jpg

At that distance the tiger 2 should have about 205mm penetration.

Meanwhile, from the angle he hit me at, this is about the lowest effective armor the gun mantlet should have.

7cRybKt.jpg

Furthermore, this is the armor profile of the turret cheek of the IS3. Its 220mm all around in game (thats not correct irl i think, but its the values ingame)

C5BLmxj.jpg

YXUkn1S.jpg

You should present the full case before making your initial statement.  You never mentioned it was from 300M.

Even with 205mm of penetration, you are hitting a 100MM mantlet.  Shells arc down to some extent, and then there's normalization due to the shell itself.

I've had 122mm shells go through the top plate on a Ferdi shooting UP at the Ferdi.  It happens.  

Yes it's messed up but as I keep saying over and over again. IT HAPPENS TO EVERY TANK.

The death cam has capture tons of magic shells, you're not the only one to cry about it bro.

People just love to blame everyone but themselves when they get killed...

Edited by Der_Auslander
medal medal

The death cam has capture tons of magic shells, you're not the only one to cry about it bro.

Even if the first case happens with all tanks because its messed up, it doesnt explain the second case where the shell hits the front/cheek flat on.

Furthermore, you can fairly clearly see the angle at which the shell hits the mantlet. At that spot it would either bounce because the effective armor surpases the penetration value, or it would directly riocchet because of the steep angle of <25°. Writing in bold wont make your statement of the IS3 being fine any less wrong.

Edited by G18AkimboPro
  • Upvote 3
medal

Even if the first case happens with all tanks because its messed up, it doesnt explain the second case where the shell hits the front/cheek flat on.

The point of the thread is about the IS-3, not how messed up the DMs are in general.

Which was introduced initially with some major armor holes, I know, I was the first to post about it months ago after extensive custom game testing.

Those holes are gone now.  It is no more or less messed up than all the other tanks in the game.

medal medal

I dont know why the mantlet is still 100mm, in the bug report I stated it, showed the sources where I get this information from. In the same but it is even in the russian wikipedia the driver was covered by 110 mm of armor,the lower glacis has a slope of 62º not 52º. I have a picture of the mantlet from behind. Someday it should be fixed. Now penetration as I see is being calculated by effective armor at an angle against the penetration of the guns, and it should be gun penetration at a certain slope or angled armor but that is much more difficult to modeled I guess. And that is why the glacis upper and lower seems to be so fragile.

medal medal

So another case of buggy DM then?

Looks like a major upgrade, the IS-2M is a one-shot victim with that turret.

It is an upgrade over the IS2, however as i said, i would recommend the t54 over the is3 for reasons mentioned so far, as well as slightly better pen and mobility.

medal