Qosmius

IS-3 - Questions, Information, Gameplay

Maybe Gaijin modeled the fact that the first 200-300 IS-3s had defective welds/armor and quite a few other issues that required major remanufacturing after all the victory parades impressed the Westerners with its futuristic looks..

OR (more likely)

Its yet another bug.

I've read that the IS-3 had severe issuses with the hullwelds fracturing and the the ballbearings in the turretring breking apart.
This mostly making the IS-3 a parade princess...
I highly doubt that Gaijin has gone to this level of simulation here... But if so it is working as intended! Edited by R3DA

If its anything like my IS4M what is probably occurring is a gradual loss of crew.

Currently the 88mil is penning the front of the IS4M easily, and I suspect the IS3 even more easily.

Once you loose enough crew, your tank is dead rendered combat ineffective.

If its anything like my IS4M what is probably occurring is a gradual loss of crew.

Currently the 88mil is penning the front of the IS4M easily, and I suspect the IS3 even more easily.

Thank you for the most plausible explanation so far!  

Well unless your on even ground or higher up than the 88mm its easy for it to Penetrate you after all.

You only got 140mm so the only reason the 88mm is not Punching right through is the 60 Degree Angle.

WT Ground is really uneven most of the Times.

So this Angle is often decreased to 50 degree or less at which the 88mm L71 can easily get through.

Especially with the Pzgr40

The Pzgr40 is Solid Shot so its more likely to kill the crew than actually have you Tank detonate as well.

So it would make sense to get the message that your no longer Capable of Combat rather then the Tank being Destroyed.

medal medal medal medal

If you are referring to the IS4M its 160MM at the front and the couple of engagements i'm using as a reference (recent apparent changes to either the DM of the IS4M or the 88mil ammo) have been shots from over 500M on a flat plane.

That 160MM with that slope should be deflecting even the APCR ammo of the tiger 2, as distances close and he is able to bring his superior gun depression to effect and point down onto the plate then I agree with you.

If you are referring to the IS4M its 160MM at the front and the couple of engagements i'm using as a reference (recent apparent changes to either the DM of the IS4M or the 88mil ammo) have been shots from over 500M on a flat plane.

That 160MM with that slope should be deflecting even the APCR ammo of the tiger 2, as distances close and he is able to bring his superior gun depression to effect and point down onto the plate then I agree with you.

140mm at 61 Degree.

96c7d99dd862.jpg

88mm L71 with Pzgr40 has 217mm at 30 Degree for 500m

on 60 Degree you can nearly half that so its about 100-115mm.

That however is the Value where the Gun Archieved 5 Penetrations in the row according to German Testing.

So the Possible Value of Penetration is actually much higher.

So depending on the Ingame Roll (random factor deciding the actual Penetration within limits of the base value) it might archieve an Penetration of 140mm or more here already.

on 100m its 237mm so we are on 115-135mm already by the way.

You can assume on 10m its even higher :)

However :)

As I said just now.

WT has very uneven Terrain.

So your very often sitting at an Position where either your Lower Hull is exposed because your standing upwards.

Or where the Angle on your Upper Hull is decreased to 50 or less degree because your standing dowards :)

at 50 Degree the 88mm L71 at 500m should actually reach 130-150mm so an Penetration is pretty likely. :)

medal medal medal medal

Had my gun mantlet penetrated five times since 1.43 launched from a variety of distances but typically over 500M. Seems to be a gap between the top of the mantlet and the turret face or some other similar bug.

The mantlet is approximately 280mm so should be extremely unlikely to be penetrated if not impossible apart from APCR from within 10m.

Had my gun mantlet penetrated five times since 1.43 launched from a variety of distances but typically over 500M. Seems to be a gap between the top of the mantlet and the turret face or some other similar bug.

The mantlet is approximately 280mm so should be extremely unlikely to be penetrated if not impossible apart from APCR from within 10m.

Well the Gun Mantled thing seems to be common in WT....

For some reason half of the Tanks are constantly Penetrated in the Gun Mantled when it should actually be one of the hardest points to Penetrate.

Dont know why tough.

Its same for Tiger and Panther Tanks.

For some reason the Gun Mantled which is the part with the fattest Armor of all is continually penetrated by whatever......

IS-3 kinda suck now.......or really suck since BR increase and the god like L71 88mm Aryan round

Welcome to my World.

Considering that a month ago my TigerII was frontally onehit by T44 or smaller Tanks on 500m and more range every 2 matches.

It might be an good Medicine for the Soviet Side to get some Bugged DMs as well now.

Dont worry tough.

So far they never needed long to fix Bugs on the Soviet Tanks.

Think last time the IS3 got onehit frontally by Panther Tanks it took em merely two weeks before they fixed it...

at least the Playerbase will shift a bit this way.

Partially the Queue had more Soviet Players per Tier than it had German Players in Total... :P

medal medal medal medal

most crew dont account for driver and extras, only loader, gunner and commander actually count for real crew. if the machine gunner dies 3 times however...

medal medal medal medal

So, finally Im having some fun the IS-2M, and I was thinking about buying some GE to rush the IS-3 (I really want the glorious IS-4M)

Is the armor still bugged?

What are you general opinions on this tank?

medal

Go for the T-54s first them the IS series. IS series in tier V still lacks proper ammunition the D version and T-54s got this ammo and both are much better

medal medal

Wait until it gets its well deserved armor fix.

Armor is broken. Don't use it till it is fixed.

Oh well, I'll grind it and lets hope its already fixed by the time I unlock it.

medal

Go for the T-54s first them the IS series. IS series in tier V still lacks proper ammunition the D version and T-54s got this ammo and both are much better

I already got the T-54 47', but I guess I'll wait for the armor fix.

medal

In the current state, really not worth to spend money for. Its a beautiful tank but the armor is really unreliable currently. Id wait till its fixed and get the t54 instead.

medal

Give them time, there is only 1 guy working on the tank DMs.

He's doing a horrible job then and I would hope he gets removed and replaced. Because it's been months now and the same tanks with the same problems are still around today that were broke in Closed Beta.

It doesn't take half a year to fix some tanks and their armour levels. Edited by Mai_Waffentrager
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal

Give them time, there is only 1 guy working on the tank DMs.

lol

• Upvote 1

Now the tank is good in reality not ingame, in reality if you google you are gonna find pictures of the front glacis of the IS-3 bouncing 88mmL71 apcr apcbc. and it is not just effective armor it is effective penetration at slope or angled surfaces. In game we have 30mm covering the driver in reality it states (technical manual) 110.

But worse is the lacking ammo even in russian wikipedia you are gonna find it. BR-471D 215 mm at 500 meters, it should be to fight other TIER V and not TIER IV

• Upvote 2
medal medal