Qosmius

IS-3 - Questions, Information, Gameplay

how does people already have the IS-3.... I'm still stuck on tier 2....

Play alot of RB and or spend some gold if you have it.

medal medal

I play RB and SB nearly exclusively for tanks.

I spent some gold on the tier 1 german premium and I got some gold waiting for the T-35.

Yeah RB and SB gets some huge bonuses.

But even then if you play a lot of airplanes and have the XP and gold you can unlock every tank like that. 

medal medal

Yeah RB and SB gets some huge bonuses.

But even then if you play a lot of airplanes and have the XP and gold you can unlock every tank like that. 

well I played for over a year now, I think I got enough free exp to get every tank, ship, and plane in game by now. 

But I am not quite interested. it's just something to shorten time, I would like something that will last like premium vehicles

Edited by Lunatic242
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

The IS-3 should be largely immune in its frontal arc from the KwK43.  As long as the lower hull is hidden of course.

But I find myself being one shotted somehow...

I was just on Kursk and a Ferdinand one shotted me from 1.6km away even though I was facing him directly with the pike nose and turret.

If you have a 88 L/71 tank, I would like to run a test with this tank in custom battles.

EDIT/UPDATE
Just ran a test, there are three spots:

The viewport below the barrel
The lower hull plate
The roof plate, even at an extreme angle

So basically the rule is, don't get close to anything with an KwK43, engage from distance.

Edited by AimShootPray
medal medal

No I was on the hill at Kursk.

I just got one shotted twice in a row on Karelia.

That I can understand, they're using APCR and shooting through the ammo racks in the front of the hull. 

But on Kursk, at 1.6km APCR shouldn't work.

medal medal

The turret roof of the IS-3 is extremely thin. Also, consider the ballistic arc of a shell travelling 1.6km. It's not a stretch of the imagination to say that you could've been struck there.

• Upvote 8
medal

The pike nose is 225mm of armor when pointed directly at the enemy.

Lower plate is 180mm effective.

Turret is well over 220mm.

Only a APCR round from the KwK43 should penetrate the upper hull.

• Upvote 2
medal medal

I heard the IS-3 is bugged.

The pike nose is 225mm of armor when pointed directly at the enemy.

Lower plate is 180mm effective.

Turret is well over 220mm.

Only a APCR round from the KwK43 should penetrate the upper hull.

sorry you are right. then idk why, i noticed i was being blown to kingdom come all the time frontally  as well in mine. its like paper. the turret works fine though.

medal medal medal medal medal medal

Source?

How is it bugged?

Can you contribute more than something not even starting to really resemble conjecture?

Edit: Rereading, this won't be taken as it was meant. Added:  :Ps

Edited by GiantSmash3r

wait... you didnt lock the thread ?.. WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH MORTIFERUM !??!?!

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal

sorry you are right. then idk why, i noticed i was being blown to kingdom come all the time frontally  as well in mine. its like paper. the turret works fine though.

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Theoretically PzGr 40/42 the APCR for the KwK43 should cut through the pike nose even under ideal conditions.  And if we take WoT's IS-3 internal layout then the there's two ammo racks inwards on the tracks.  So a well placed APCR shot can do it.  But... other than that I don't see how the KwK43 can punch out the IS-3 in the frontal arc.

medal medal

The Ammo rack should be pretty well protected, the gunner, loader and commander sit in the toughest turret in Warthunder and yet they all get knocked out pretty easily, Ive been ammo racked by a BT-2 shooting the sides in custom battles.

The tank is indeed bugged.

medal medal

There is something wrong with the armor.  Had a few more matches in it and the 88 is still cutting through the front hull with no problems and every time it does it's a one shot.  And yes I am angling my pike nose properly.  I am quite familiar with this tank from WoT.

Anybody with a 88 tank want to run a custom battle test with me?

Edited by AimShootPray
medal medal

Still don't understand why you're bothering with the IS-3 anyway.... just get a T-54 it has soviet cloaking field, deflector shield, two respawns and arty!

Edited by mujex

My question is how are the higher tiers balanced? I am only just now about to buy my first rank 4 (IS-2) and am curious. Does either nation seem to have an advantage? It seems to me like the Germans would have the advantage seeing that their guns have higher penetration and twice the Rate of Fire. But I have not played them so I ask you experienced in era 4 and 5.

medal medal