FryingTigerWT

Everyday Hero's Skins Competition Discussion thread.

Until the Submission thread becomes available please discuss your content in here. Submission will be open to post in the Content thread on Thursday the 22nd. Giving all users time to begin creating their artwork and assembling information.

Have fun, and I look forward to seeing and reading it all on behalf of the Staff.

• Upvote 1

hey just to clarify heros skins? so we make a "hero" ace pilot skin and we can compete to get it in to the game?

medal

Just a question.

• Skins can be made for all nations not just the U.S. or allied countries. We will choose the top 5 Major ones US, Germany, UK, Japan, And Russian. 

What about Polish (and other nationalities) pilots flying in Polish squadrons in UK? Will they qualified?  Same question for whole Commonwealth, other example is French pilots in Normandie Niemen squadron in USSR.

Edited by Botan
  • Upvote 1
medal

hey just to clarify heros skins? so we make a "hero" ace pilot skin and we can compete to get it in to the game?

Not unless this skin represents a plane (specific plane or a unit standard) that a direct family member of yours or someone close to you or your family that served in the Military used.

For instance My Grandfather was a crewman on A B-24-H. The "Ford's Folley". I could if I entered this competition skin the B-24 with its artwork, share my grandfathers story (Their whole group's story is actually published in a book), and enter it in the contest.

Just a question.

What about Polish (and other nationalities) pilots flying in Polish squadrons in UK? Will they qualified?  Same question for whole Commonwealth, other example is French pilots in Normandie Niemen squadron in USSR.

Yes all nations may enter as long as the Plane's model is in game regardless of the Pilots nation of origin. So if Polish pilot serving with RAF you may win under the UK as one of the 5 winners. We just ask that you share your story and if you win, provide whatever supporting documents to the Mod staff. So we can tell the DEVS that your skin and history bio is Legit if they select it to immortalize your family members legacy into the game in the future.

• Upvote 2

Yes all nations may enter as long as the Plane's model is in game regardless of the Pilots nation of origin. So if Polish pilot serving with RAF you may win under the UK as one of the 5 winners. We just ask that you share your story and if you win, provide whatever supporting documents to the Mod staff. So we can tell the DEVS that your skin and history bio is Legit if they select it to immortalize your family members legacy into the game in the future.

Thank you for explanation, now I can spread word about competition on Polish forum and inform potential candidates.

medal

Please remember there is no guarantee of submission into game.

• Upvote 1

Translated information about contest is posted in Polish forum (it's pinned by national Community co-ordinator.

http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/142624-dzie%C5%84-pami%C4%99ci-zawody-malowanie-maszyny-bohatera-dnia-powszedniego/#entry2680484

To make thing sure, today is the last day when submission can be done? Quite a short time.

Edited by Botan
medal

what about Republic of China and other allied nations with independent air forces that operated in-game aircraft from US/UK/USSR etc.

I don't think the unit insignia of my grandfather's units would make it into the game anyway (and I can't make WT skins), but I would like to share his story with you.

My grandpa and his twin were old enough to actually fight in the 2nd world war...

...in their youth they recieved the full broadside of Nazi propaganda to make them ready for a war...

They wanted to become officers, but they lacked the Abitur (Higher School Certificate), and so they joined the Waffen-SS, in this unit they could become officers without "Abitur"...

My grandpa's twin recieved a headshot by a russian "tree-sniper" two days after the launch of Operation Barbarossa...

My grandpa survived the war, he was a member of the 3. SS-Panzer-Division „Totenkopf” (since 1939Divisonsbegleitschutz-Gewehrführer beim Divisionsstab),

after he got wounded in Russia (Demyansk in March 1942) he became Ausbilder in the "SS Unterführerschule Radolfszell", later in the "SS Unterführerschule Posen-Treskau" and then (in 1943?) the "SS Unterführerschule Laibach", and after a succesful Lehrgang at the Junkerschule Prag (in 1944?) he came as "Führerersatz" to the 10. SS-Panzer-Division „Frundsberg” (Stabskompanie, als Ausbilder von Ex-Marine & Luftwaffensoldaten zu Panzergrenadieren, frontnahe Ausbildung..., participating in the battle of Arnheim (Operation Market Garden)  and stayed with the „Frundsberg” until the end in the "Halbe Pocket" in the East.

He was part of a small unit that tried to break through the russian lines around Spremberg (?), he told me that they had a few halftracks (SdKfz 251s ?) and a Panther with them when they stumbled into a russian AT gun position, they quickly lost all their vehicles in the crossfire and had to run for their lives...

My grandpa found 2 of his comrades in the woods and they sneaked through the woods until they met a Wehrmacht Hauptmann with some of his men, who wanted to surrender to the soviets.

My grandpa (SS-Hauptsturmführer at that time) and his 2 comrades didn't want to surrender to the soviets, they feared they would be shot on the spot or send to Siberia to work to death, because of being members of the Waffen-SS.

So the denied the offer of the Hauptmann and watched the Wehrmacht soldiers marching out of the woods to surrender to the soviets...

While watching the spectacle, they were surprised by other soviet soldiers...
"Ruki vverh!" (Руки вверх! Hands up!), and my grandfather and his comrades slowly turned around while raising their hands to see: (this is how my grandpa told the story to me)

Tall, clean shaven russian soldiers aiming PPSh-41 submachine guns at us.
One of the russians, a lieutenant came forward and grabbed my collar, to see which unit I was from.
When he recordnized the SS-runes he jumped back and aimed his submachine gun at my chest...I imagined how the bullets would strike me down any moment...
But the russian lieuteneant said:
"Ihr Hitler's Garde, wir Stalin's Garde.
Krieg kaputt. Ihr heim zu Mamuschka und Babuschka"
(You are Hitler's guard, we are Stalin's guard. War is over, you return to mother and grandmother)

Then the russian lieutenant led my grandpa and his comrades to some fallen Wehrmacht soldiers and told them to throw away their Waffen-SS uniforms and pick the Wehrmacht uniforms...

Now they were marched off to an improvised POW camp...on the way the stream of POWs steadily grew, and my granpa so0n found himself in a column of several hundred men marching into captivity.

One rather small soldier marching beside my grandpa whispered something to him, but my grandpa didn't understand him until he had repeated it 3 times ..."Deine Mütze!" (your cap!)...

...the cap! My grandpa had already thrown away his "Puukko" (a dagger which he recieved as a gift from finnish Waffen-SS volunteers which he had trained)
and he had removed the silver death-head from his cap, but he had worn that cap for several years, and the death-head was still clearly visible...

...so he threw the cap into the nextbest bush and marched on....

After a while they reached the prison camp, and settled in as best as they could....my grandpa estimated that there were approx. 6000 german soldiers in that camp...

3 sides of the camp were closed, but one side still offered some gaps to squeeze through where the latrines were....

Grandpa said that he never had smelled something as awful as that latrine for 6000 men....

He waited near the latrines with his 2 comrades for a good opportunity, and when most of the guards seemed busy celebrating their victory they took their chances and made a run for it.

Grandpa said that it was only a few hundred meters to the woods, some shots were fired but they were lucky, their escape caused and uproar in the camp and they were cheered with shouts of "Lauft!" (run!) and the guards then fired into the air to restore order in the camp....

And their luck held....

After marching for several days the comrades parted, and after two weeks of marching, hiding, sneaking and swimming through rivers,
my grandpa reached a small village in northern Germany called "Rullstorf", the village where I grew up.

Here he met my grandmother (she had lost her husband in the war), and fell in love with her...later they married and had 3 children.

One of their children was my father...

If my grandpa hadn't been such a tough (and lucky) soldier he would never have survived 5 years of war and pulled of such an escape from the improvised prison camp...

...he would never have met my grandmother, and my father and me would never have been born.

May he rest in peace, I loved this man, he is my personal "hero".

Here are some of his early war memories, I still haven't translated all of them...it all takes too much time....

Edited by Trommelfeuer
  • Upvote 31
medal medal medal medal

wow, that is amazing... o7.

gave me goosebumps actually, thinking about what is was like.

Someone, MAKE THIS MAN THAT INSIGNIA!!!

this makes me so sad I do not know that much about my great grandparents, what were their lives like? I intend to find out next time my grandparents come here.

Edited by Aerobane
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

nice story

Someone, MAKE THIS MAN THAT INSIGNIA!!!

I doubt SS insignia is appropriate.

Edited by Blackart
  • Upvote 1
medal medal

say do you have any pictures perchance? that would be amazing. also, someone should make a skin for a panzer with the insignia.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

Exactly, no chance there, it's ok, I just wanted to share his story for you, and this is a good opportunity to do so. ;)

Aerobane, I have only 2 wartime photos of my grandpa, will scan them as So0n as possible and include them in my post.

He lost all his photos and other personal gear in the "Halbe Pocket"....

Also, thx to Rautaa, for correcting my mis-spelling of "Puukko"! :)

Edited by Trommelfeuer
medal medal medal medal

nice story

he maybe meant that someone should make him a skin on some tank with that insignia. it's client side so you can use whatever you want

great story Trommel, as i said in status updates please share his memories with us if you will translate them o7

Edited by EPSNtheGATOR
  • Upvote 1
medal medal

he maybe meant that someone should make him a skin on some tank with that insignia. it's client side so you can use whatever you want

Ah ok then.

What is a "Führerersatz"? It's a rank?

He was a tank crew?

Edited by Blackart
medal medal

That's a really nice story :) 

Your Grandfather sounds like he's seen alot in the war.

Thx! :)

Yes, he saw a lot of the war "live" and in "colour"...the stories he could tell...oh boy! :P

For example that one story where his unit used captured T-34s, and to decieve the enemy they smeared mud over the Balkenkreuze so that the russians wouldn't think these were german T-34s until they opened fire...

He always told me the "Totenkopf" was the "Feuerwehr der Ostfront" ("fire Fighters of the Eastern Front") meaning that they were always send where the front was "burning" and the fighting was fierce.

If you take a look at the division's war diary, this seems to be true.

These are two "Totenkopf" T-34s, you can see the unit's insigia on the turrets:

t-34-beutexqbq0.jpg

What is a "Führerersatz"? It's a rank?

He was a tank crew?

"Führerersatz" basically means "leader-replacement", he was send to the Frundsberg to replace one of the many fallen unit-leaders = officers.

He was a Hauptsturmbannführer at that time which is the same rank as a captain.

He lead Panzergrenadiere into battle, they were always close to Panzers. ;)

Edited by Trommelfeuer
  • Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal

What was his opinion about Russian tanks?

Edited by Blackart
medal medal

What was his opinion about Russian tanks?

He said that there seemed to be always two more for each one they destroyed. :P

In his opinion they were fearsome fighting machines but they very often lacked good leadership which resulted in many destroyed T-34s...

medal medal medal medal

Translated information about contest is posted in Polish forum (it's pinned by national Community co-ordinator.

http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/142624-dzie%C5%84-pami%C4%99ci-zawody-malowanie-maszyny-bohatera-dnia-powszedniego/#entry2680484

To make thing sure, today is the last day when submission can be done? Quite a short time.

You are good until end of day Sunday (tomorrow) @ midnight EST or GMT-5

• Upvote 1