Halajda

Ground Force Rangefinder Guide

On 29.3.2017 at 10:05 PM, ACAB__MOMO__ said:

How i can use the range finder in arcade battle ?? so i must bye it in M103 and Chieftain MK3 ?? or it not important in this battle mode ..

Rangefinder is not operational in Arcade, instead you will get instant and always correct range displayed next to your sight where ever you look.

Try "Test Drive" a tank with "Realistic" setting to see how range finder works in that mode for the difference. Point the crosshair to nearest stationary tank and press "R".

All my calculations seems wrong. If using T-114 it gives me 600, the actual distance is 700. Shooting at 600 will go short. Is this a specific problem to T-114? Tried other tanks tho, seems to be the same... Is there any crew skill affecting this?

Edited by PliciPlici
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 09/01/2018 at 9:52 AM, PliciPlici said:

All my calculations seems wrong. If using T-114 it gives me 600, the actual distance is 700. Shooting at 600 will go short. Is this a specific problem to T-114? Tried other tanks tho, seems to be the same... Is there any crew skill affecting this?

No most of my British tanks do it too (I only really play British tanks)

On 1/9/2018 at 2:52 AM, PliciPlici said:

There is a margin of error that is affected by the tank's rangefinding system and the gunner rangefinding skills.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

So i guess its kind of a longshot here, but are there any possible way to increase the size of the distance indicators of the vertical sights? They are extremely small when using tanks like Centurion and Chieftains, and its difficult for me to see if my sight on the enemy tank is on 16, 18 or 20, since they are not connected horizontally. Im not asking for more zoom, just a way to make it easier to see what distance my gun is aiming for.

Hope i made my self clear :016:

medal medal medal medal medal

On 05/10/2019 at 11:32, Vince_Grant said:

So i guess its kind of a longshot here, but are there any possible way to increase the size of the distance indicators of the vertical sights? They are extremely small when using tanks like Centurion and Chieftains, and its difficult for me to see if my sight on the enemy tank is on 16, 18 or 20, since they are not connected horizontally. Im not asking for more zoom, just a way to make it easier to see what distance my gun is aiming for.

Hope i made my self clear :016:

Well, there are a lot of custom sights available on Live, so maybe you find something there...

2 hours ago, Vince_Grant said:

I can only find 4, and they are for specific tanks that i dont play. You mean https://live.warthunder.com/feed/sights/ right?

Only 4? I myself published at least a dozen...

What vehicles exactly are you looking for? Only Chieftain (I might have something there ready soon) and Centurions (got a few there as well, but outdated, I think...)?

On 07/10/2019 at 21:47, Schindibee said:

Only 4? I myself published at least a dozen...

What vehicles exactly are you looking for? Only Chieftain (I might have something there ready soon) and Centurions (got a few there as well, but outdated, I think...)?

Was hoping there was one that would fit all of them, but i guess thats not possible. I did however try this sight distance control, and i think it will help me.

medal medal medal medal medal

39 minutes ago, Vince_Grant said:

Was hoping there was one that would fit all of them, but i guess thats not possible. I did however try this sight distance control, and i think it will help me.

Sadly nope.

The positioning of the sight elements strongly depends on sight maginification and sight default text size, and needs to be calibrated for each vehicle individually. It's well possible to create a sight that can be used for all vehicles, but then the programming doesn't allow for detailed placement of sight elements, which is crucial for the complex sight for example I design. Just imagine:  a typical sight of mine contains over 2000-3000 code lines, and I guess about 98% of those are vehicle-specific, and can only be used for other vehicles with exactly the same weapons/ammo and exactly the same optics/magnification.

I have an extensive Excel-based database and semi-automated sight creation tool, but still it needs additional work for each individual vehicle, if only to calibrate the needed values and fine-adjust sight elements as desired...

See for example those two variants of my new "Buteo" sight, top for the Italian M26A1 and M36B1 (and as both have exactly the same weapon and optics I can use the same sight for both) and the XM-1 (GM) on the bottom: Each cross, chevron and the funnel in the center consists of a few dozend dots each, each of which has to be configured with the proper vehicle-specific variables...

Spoiler

shot+2019.10.07+17.36.49.jpg

xm1_buteo0.jpg