Halajda

Ground Force Rangefinder Guide

Awe, I was rather enjoying the fact that the typical player didn't know how these optics worked... giving me the first shot advantage at distances. Oh well.

BTW you do not need a calculator. Just divide by 2 and then divide by 2 again. You can do it in your head very quickly.

2300 /4 = 575 OR

2300 / 2 = 1150 / 2 = 575

Just saying. Edited by KingBarber
  • Upvote 1

In rb I've done it by gut instinct. If the target is obstructed by trees and foliage I go by the faint brackets around the tank and judge the distance by the size of that.

Have one shot tanks that way in the area of 800 to 1200 meters blind. I'm much less effective over that. The inaccuracy of the gun makes follow up shots difficult. Edited by Amstel508
  • Upvote 1
medal medal

meh, bit of trial error and i worked out the grid squares were

Jungle 200m, Ash River 100m, Kursk 400m, Kuban 170m, Karelia 130m

and the OP's method gets a bit funky if you're aiming at an angled tank, or if the enemy is obscured by terrain

Here is my data, feel free to discuss there what is more correct: http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/146858-mini-map-distance/#entry2948595

medal medal medal medal

Honestly the rangefinding part comes into play only after 800 meters, and with some guns like the 75 mm L/70 after 1000 meters if not more.

I was actually surprised how fast i learned to shoot on realistic or simulation battles its almsot instinctive.  

In realistic battles i started to kill people even when behind foilage because i just felt how far they are according to the name tag, and average combat distance of maps,  they started yelling that i was a cheater....

If you have issues with range, fire a couple of rangeing shots at different points and look where the shells land, voila, you have the distance.

On the last kursk event ive shot two isu152s going full speed at ranges of 1300 meters  with 9 shells total (panzer 4 F2, basic ammo).

Forget the mildot, way too slow.

Edited by Alter7
  • Upvote 1

Just go by map quadrants...it is faster then mildot, and safer, since you can use it from cover.

Jungle: 200m-220m

Ash river 100m

Kursk: 410m

Kuban: 150m

Karelia: 130m

Carpathian: 220m

estimates, if you get a buddy ingame, just make a custom battle in arcade, there you can measure each map easy (you get range, and can use as much map quadrants as possible, thus making the error smaller)

Since with a lot of guns a error of 100m is still a hit, and on most maps (and ingame accuracy of guns) firing further then 1000m is nearly impossible...

In RB you will most often not really see your target, so going by mildot is further handicaped, going by minimap is fine thou.

Edit: with guns with flat trajectory i found, that shooting with the 400m marker is mostly sufficent, this tells something about the maps....

Edited by Joarg

This is an excellent work! :good:

But let me ask a n00b question.

How can you calculate the elevation on the vertical MIL line?

I understand the process until, we measure the tanks size in MIL, we memorize its irl size and we calculate the distance and we get the approximate value.

But after this you say, we elevate the gun to the correct distance, but I don't understand how.  This is the point where I lost connexion.

Can you help me?

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

This is an excellent work! :good:

But let me ask a n00b question.

How can you calculate the elevation on the vertical MIL line?

I understand the process until, we measure the tanks size in MIL, we memorize its irl size and we calculate the distance and we get the approximate value.

But after this you say, we elevate the gun to the correct distance, but I don't understand how.  This is the point where I lost connexion.

Can you help me?

One unit on vertical scale corresponds with 200 meters. Say you estimated/calculated enemy tank is 700 meters away, you aim up so that tank between 3rd and 4th degree, that is between 600 and 800 meters.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Just go by map quadrants...it is faster then mildot, and safer, since you can use it from cover.

Jungle: 200m-220m

Ash river 100m

Kursk: 410m

Kuban: 150m

Karelia: 130m

Carpathian: 220m

estimates, if you get a buddy ingame, just make a custom battle in arcade, there you can measure each map easy (you get range, and can use as much map quadrants as possible, thus making the error smaller)

Since with a lot of guns a error of 100m is still a hit, and on most maps (and ingame accuracy of guns) firing further then 1000m is nearly impossible...

In RB you will most often not really see your target, so going by mildot is further handicaped, going by minimap is fine thou.

Edit: with guns with flat trajectory i found, that shooting with the 400m marker is mostly sufficent, this tells something about the maps....

Poland is ~400m

anyone has measured mozdok?

medal medal medal

I did not meassure them, but poland and mozdok seem both around 500m.

i just told you poland is 400m before (give or take some meters)....

medal medal medal

If you are defending and have an rough idea knowing where the enemy will come from. Fire a few ranging shots in the the distance, having a reference will save you time and shells. Might save your live. Obviously, don't do it in a 152 when there is already enemy in sight.

Don't range-find by calculating! Remember the rule 4 mil = 800m against T-34 front, adjust accordingly for different tanks sizes. That will help you get your first hit in, rather than getting hit.

Aiming too low is better than aiming too high, the dirt from your missed shell will serve you well as a visual concealment. So if you have to walk the shot, walk the shot from going low and move the aim up rather than going high then back down.

Edited by Starduster
  • Upvote 2

To make range estimations easier, i'd suggest using a fixed zoom setting so it becomes easier to estimate by size comparison. I use T-34 as a template and slightly adjust for KV and IS (they are slightly longer and wider.

Sad that germans can't use their actual gun sighting system.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal

Also, beware your windage seems to be screen resolution (aspect ratio dependant)  gets pretty stretched out when running three monitors.

Two screenshots, same tank, same position.

First screenshot is from 5760x1080

Second is 1920x1200

5WSgDY1.jpg

uukg0JI.jpg

• Upvote 2

Also, beware your windage seems to be screen resolution (aspect ratio dependant)  gets pretty stretched out when running three monitors.

Two screenshots, same tank, same position.

First screenshot is from 5760x1080

Second is 1920x1200

did you report this?, it's a bug, it should not be resolution dependant

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal

With one of the patches, we got sight adjustments. How can one make use of it?

Simply use it to "zero" at the desired range. It will move the horizontal bar as you adjust the sight. Thus if you've measured a target's distance to say 800m, just adjust the sight until the horizontal bar is at 800m, put the crosshair on target, and fire away. Makes it easier to make elevation-adjustments since you have a more clear point of reference on the gunsight.
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Simply use it to "zero" at the desired range. It will move the horizontal bar as you adjust the sight. Thus if you've measured a target's distance to say 800m, just adjust the sight until the horizontal bar is at 800m, put the crosshair on target, and fire away. Makes it easier to make elevation-adjustments since you have a more clear point of reference on the gunsight.

I still can't quite figure it out, I guess I need visual example.

And how can you manipulate it? And how long does it stay?

Until you reset it. 

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

Okay, I got it, after testing it out in AB. I was testing in RB thus having problems. So, basically, what it does is the helping indicator in AB. But, I don't really see it being useful since I can't even measure the distance between my tank and my enemy's. 

medal medal medal

Well, this won't work with me seeing i have Dyscalculia (google it), But something i have noticed is that if you have a machinegun on your turret, shoot a round and aiming a bit higher usually get's you the correct range.

Edited by BaronVonVeld