Halajda

Ground Force Rangefinder Guide

i usually just use pythag on the minimap, sure it relies on the the person being spotted on the map or you knowing in which grid square they are, but you don't have to know the sizes of each tank, just the length of each box on the mini-map. Only downside is that you pretty much do have to have a calculator handy but it takes about 5 seconds to do

[spoiler]MCuVmBq.jpg[/spoiler]

DUDE! YOU LET THE SECRET OUT! Hey.. I see myself in that chat! 

Well.. they don't know the size of the squares yet.. so HOPEFULLY it won't be that common.  y u do dis..

Edited by Abgeschossene
medal medal

meh, bit of trial error and i worked out the grid squares were

Jungle 200m, Ash River 100m, Kursk 400m, Kuban 170m, Karelia 130m

and the OP's method gets a bit funky if you're aiming at an angled tank, or if the enemy is obscured by terrain

Yeah, it gets harder for angled tanks but a bit of brainmath helps you out a great deal.

• Upvote 1
medal medal

Finally found the use of those math lessons i never listen to

God wish I knew how to Pythagorean now :/

Few clicks on the calculator and I figured it out already(then again the Given isn't an Unknown value) Edited by IJN_Akagi
  • Upvote 1
medal medal

Is there any way to move the range without moving the mouse?

I'm talking like Red Orchestra sight that you calculate the range, put the cross on it and then adjust the distance without moving the cross.

Edited by Capt_Granizo
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Is there any way to move the range without moving the mouse?

I'm talking like Red Orchestra sight that you calculate the range, put the cross on it and then adjust the distance without moving the cross.

No, there isn't. We just have the most simple gunsight imaginable in the game. Nothing like the German TZF 9b/c gun sight or other "dialed in" sights.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Well I had little experience with the TSh-2B-41 Sight on a Sim like game called Steel Armor: Blaze of War

And you need to adjust the mouse depending onthe range

But idk how accurate that is compared to the RL ond
medal medal

This is amazing info! But to me it seems it doesn't really help you to know the distance to the target when you still don't know how many degrees higher I need to aim even when both tanks are on flat sruface?

This is amazing info! But to me it seems it doesn't really help you to know the distance to the target when you still don't know how many degrees higher I need to aim even when both tanks are on flat sruface?

The Vertical Bar Shows Distance.

1 Large Bar is 400m 

The Smaller Bar which is half is consequently 200m

The Numbers to the left also show that :)

So if you know the Distance you can Aim by putting the Enemy Tank onto the Bar that Represents that Distance.

So if you found out your Enemy is at 1200m Distance you.ll check down the Bar

The Third Large Bar has 12 written to it and means 1200m

So you just put the Third Large Bar with the 12 on the Enemy Tank and you.ll Fire at the Distance of 1200m :)

It works fine :)

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal

This all great, but the range finding and the calculations and charts in this discussion are related to tanks A - B in the same plane (0º). If one of them it's in a different one, all the measurements are wasted.

If you say that this calculations gives you more then 60% of success in hitting a target, you are lying.

Another thing, what's the job of the gunner in the game if you have to determine all the aspects of the shoot? Gunner doesn't even give you an estimate range of the target. 

This all great, but the range finding and the calculations and charts in this discussion are related to tanks A - B in the same plane (0º). If one of them it's in a different one, all the measurements are wasted.
If you say that this calculations gives you more then 60% of success in hitting a target, you are lying.
Another thing, what's the job of the gunner in the game if you have to determine all the aspects of the shoot? Gunner doesn't even give you an estimate range of the target.

Thats wrong mate
I.ll explain you why :)

When your aiming at an enemy you ARE creating an direct line.
If the enemy is higher ground then you, you also automaticly aim higher since your scope on which you take the measurements is already pointing higher as well.

What your measuring is not the distance on one plane but simply the distance from point A to point B the elevation is completly irrelevant.

There is an small error due to gravity working in slightly different direction but this error is so marginal that you wont notice it below 1500m

Given the time to accurately calculate the distance using that means i do hit enemys on up to 1500m with about 80% chance.

Due to enemys moving i usually dont have that time tough so i take the rougb distance and do an aiming shot to determine the distance.

Best shot so far was at 1800m an enemy t34 which i aimed at while he was going full speed ^^
I took distance held fore and hit him on first shot burning his ammo.
For your info he was on higher ground then me :)
  • Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal

Ok, but we can't go for the measurements of a tanks if it's in some angle or we can't know all the measurements of all the tanks. I can do some killings but  from "it seems the tanks it's at X meters", I just speculate.
I've trained a lot in custom and the measurements are really hard to get. Could be me, but I love tank games and this is the most difficult so far.

Edited by Capt_Granizo

Ok, but we can't go for the measurements of a tanks if it's in some angle or we can't know all the measurements of all the tanks. I can do some killings but  from "it seems the tanks it's at X meters", I just speculate.I've trained a lot in custom and the measurements are really hard to get. Could be me, but I love tank games and this is the most difficult so far.

Well the main problem is the size of it.
Tanks often stand angled so tgeir size is different
Also the scope looks real big on a tank 2000m away
Saying its a 0.36 bar is hardly feasible.

Thats why in reality as well such long range shots often missed.
Its also why The hitquote in training was much higher than in battle :)

But thats just how it is ;)

It would be boring if you had 100% hitquote on 2000m :P

Greetz ^^
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

What if you're like me, having Dyscalculia.. meaning Math is pointless for me i can't do it even if i tried, am i forced to go Gutfeeling or shoot until i can hit? cuz trying to gauge distance with KV-2 is really stupid.. i was just on Kursk, guess what.. i had to shoot like 7 times to get a hit on 1200m, do you know how long that reload is ?!

I liked the idea with printing the picture out and put on the screen, but i would need one for each tank to print out so i just replace it when i switch tank :P Would it be cheating since its not a 3rd-party program but something in real life ? It cant be detected, rawr!

Gut feeling and experience is probably the quickest and easiest method to use: the funnel graphs may help, but they only work when a) the target you know exactly how long your target is, b) your target is really perpendicular to you and c) the ballistics fit the sight (attention: the sight does not change if you switch to ammo with differnet ballistics!).

A generic funnel sight could be done to simply estimate the distance, but taking balistics into acount as well makes it much more tricky...

So yes, such a sight could be done, but it's quite some effort and of really limited use. The "shoot'em till you hit'em" approach probably works just as good, if not better in the quick-paced battles we face in WT. Shoot, watch exactly where your shell goes, adjust, shoot again, hit. Simple as that...

If you're shooting long distance hitting is more difficult of course (not only does the target appear smaller, but the shell's trajectory is more curved and does not allow for big errors), but also killing a target is more difficult for kinetic projectiles as the loose power quickly during flight (only HEAT, HE and Shrapnell ammo not affected by that...). So the closer you are to the target it's easier to hit and to kill!

Thx for all the support.

Confirmed SU-100 and SU-122P for the T-34 hull dimensions.

Confirmed IS-2, IS-2M, ISU-122 and ISU-152 for the IS-1 hull dimensions.

Confirmed JgPanther for the Panther hull dimensions.

Added Tiger II (Aka King Tiger or Tiger B) and JgTiger.

I am aware that JgTiger is actually quite longer than a Tiger II (by about 40 cm), but I included it under Tiger II hull anyway. This is part of my effort to streamline the entire chart. I intend to produce universal table for a supposedly common tank size at various ranks to make the guide easier to use. I believe in the heat of battle, it doesn't make much of a difference if this tank is half meter shorter than that tank - you need simplified info ASAP.

You can see the WIP in 'Common' sheet of the Google Drive sheet.

Edited by Halajda
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

This needs to be at the top of the realistic battles forum, didn't find the thread with search, I got lucky lol; thanks for the explanation and doing all the calculations, I look forward to much better killshots in my immediate future ;)
medal medal medal

If they correctly model the German gunsights, at least the later ones, those didn't require placement guesswork. You just entered the range and fired. Anyone whose played Red Orchestra knows how much better the German gunsights were than the Russian ones, one of the reasons they were more popular. I highly doubt we'll see this in-game in WT, however. Guess why...

• Upvote 3

I was waiting for a table like this. Thank you so much! I do not know why there is no offical one. I wish I found this topic earlier.

Crew skill should be able to give you the ranges buy targeting a tank in AB no indicator should be needed.

For RB a table for specific tank should appear when targeting a tank.

T-44 W: 3,25 L: 6,07

T-54 W: 3,37 L: 6,45

IS-4 W: 3,09 L: 9,9

T-26 W:2,44 L:4,65

T-28 W: 2,87 L: 7,44

Ferdinand W: 3,38 L: 8,14

Diamond stance could be calculated too: C2=A2+B

Diamond2 = Width2 + Length2 so D2=W2+L2

For T-34 W:3, L:6, D: 6,7

Tiger I. W:3,7 L:6,3 D: 7,3

Not Perfect but could be used.

+ German sights with triangles could calculate by height too.

Anyway a table with only the sizes of tanks would be good too. Then just have a calculator next to you. :)

Made a short video:

[media]http://youtu.be/i-A5UJXn3Y8[/media]

Edited by Epicolor
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal