I added 2 captured prototypes: the Pz. VIII Maus and the Maresal. I'm going to do some research to see what other interesting prototypes the Soviets captured.

medal

From the Japanese they captured a fair few but didn't, to the best of my knowledge, ever use them.

medal medal medal medal medal

From the Japanese they captured a fair few but didn't, to the best of my knowledge, ever use them.

I think they might actually had used M3 Stuarts in combat service (captured quite a few of them) also Japan got some M4 Shermans after WW2...

I think they might actually had used M3 Stuarts in combat service (captured quite a few of them) also Japan got some M4 Shermans after WW2...

Was talking about Japanese tanks captured by the Soviets.  The Japanese captured and used M3s, T-26s and BT-7s (and, very briefly, an M4A3 (75)W), as well as buying a Panther D, a Tiger E and Panzer IIIs (I am not absolutely certain of the type) during WW2.  Afterwards the JSDF got a couple of hundred  M4A3 (76)W HVSS and some Chaffees, but those'll be mainline like the Sabre(s).

We're being purely hypothetical as to what we could see as Soviet premium vehicles. I mean, none of us actually want to see the Maus in-game, but it could happen. I'll look more into exactly what they captured from Japan, since I really want a Chi-Ha in Soviet markings.

medal

The Soviets received M3's as lend-lease vehicles from the United States. They considered them largely useless, but pressed them into service out of desperation.

http://tankarchives.blogspot.com/2013/06/critique-of-american-tanks.html

medal

We're being purely hypothetical as to what we could see as Soviet premium vehicles. I mean, none of us actually want to see the Maus in-game, but it could happen. I'll look more into exactly what they captured from Japan, since I really want a Chi-Ha in Soviet markings.

They captured some of pretty much every type of inter-war medium, for a start, including some nice exotic pieces like a field-converted proto-Ke-Nu.

I like the idea of both sides haveing acces to some of each others tanks, helps with the tier balance and keeps things intresting, i for one would like to have a captured t34 to play around with.

Any one know why the soviets rejected the m18 hellcat?

medal medal

The Soviets received M3's as lend-lease vehicles from the United States. They considered them largely useless, but pressed them into service out of desperation.

http://tankarchives.blogspot.com/2013/06/critique-of-american-tanks.html

I know... Almost every nation in WW2 had at some point a M3 Stuart in service (including axis ones :secret: )

I like the idea of both sides haveing acces to some of each others tanks, helps with the tier balance and keeps things intresting, i for one would like to have a captured t34 to play around with.

Any one know why the soviets rejected the m18 hellcat?

1. Light armour, protecting from only rifle bullets and small shell fragments.
  2. High fuel consumption:
    1. Highway: 78.5 L/hour
    2. Dirt road: 80.5 L/hour
    3. Off-road, over snow: 130.7 L/hour
      This is several times higher than the fuel consumption of other vehicles of this class in the same conditions.
  3. Using high quality gasoline as fuel makes the SPG fire prone.
  4. The off-road performance is poor.

http://tankarchives.blogspot.com/2014/03/lend-lease-impressions-m18-hellcat.html

medal

SB with captured tanks is going to be real interesting considering that they don't have roundels as part of the base skin (I'm not even sure where the roundels would historically go on some tanks)

Edited by CorsairV90125

Lend lease tanks which were used in numbers? Yes, please.

Captured tanks? Meh, would rather not.

medal medal medal medal

SB with captured tanks is going to be real interesting considering that they don't have roundels as part of the base skin (I'm not even sure where the roundels would historically go on some tanks)

captured tanks tended to be repainted and historicly they put alot of roundels on them, back of turret top of turret front sides and rear

medal medal

First, let me clarify that regardless of whether people want captured premium and lend-lease vehicles, it's going to happen. Also, consider the case of England. Their inadequacies in war time tank production necessitated imports, hence the prominence of the Sherman in their tank arsenal. The Soviets were much the same. To make up for their shortcomings, the Soviets ordered a solid amount of English and American tanks (although tanks like the M3 light and Valentine were considered inadequate by their countries of origin and their Soviet operators).

Valentine was liked by the British when it entered service and into Tunisia - reliable, small and good protection although the 2 pdr ones quickly became undergunned, the Soviets loved the Valentine as well, using them as a light tank as they completely outclassed anything of their own with better gun and armour than their own light tanks while still having a good cross country performance. 

• Upvote 1

What about the M10 Wolverine? Were't ~54 shipped to Russia? 

All I could find was on Wikipedia, and it wasn't cited. There doesn't appear to be any photographs or archive material on the Wolverines. That being said, they may all have been lost at sea.

Edited by Henry_Bankshaft
medal

Valentine was liked by the British when it entered service and into Tunisia - reliable, small and good protection although the 2 pdr ones quickly became undergunned, the Soviets loved the Valentine as well, using them as a light tank as they completely outclassed anything of their own with better gun and armour than their own light tanks while still having a good cross country performance. 

I guess I must have confused the Valentine for the M3 light. It appears the Soviets regarded the Vals pretty highly.

http://tankarchives.blogspot.com/2013/09/lend-lease-impressions-valentine.html

medal

All I could find was on Wikipedia, and it wasn't cited. There doesn't appear to be any photographs or archive material on the Wolverines. That being said, they may all have been lost at sea.

Lend lease shipments WW2 - 31st Dec 1946 http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/ref/LL-Ship/index.html#index

Quantities of Lend-Lease Shipments A Summary of Important Items Furnished Foreign Governments
by the War Department during World War II

Gun Carriage Motor 3" 

British Commonwealth - 1648

USSR - 52

French - 443

• Upvote 1

Lend lease shipments WW2 - 31st Dec 1946 http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/ref/LL-Ship/index.html#index

Quantities of Lend-Lease Shipments A Summary of Important Items Furnished Foreign Governments
by the War Department during World War II

Gun Carriage Motor 3" 

British Commonwealth - 1648

USSR - 52

French - 443

Thanks for the info. I'll go ahead and add it. It would be very cool if I could find some pictures of the Soviets operating them.

medal

Thanks for the info. I'll go ahead and add it. It would be very cool if I could find some pictures of the Soviets operating them.

Rossomaha.jpg

There's another picture of a Wolverine of the 1223rd Self-Propelled Artillery Regiment, 29th Tank Corps, 5th Guards Tank Army, 3rd Belorussian Front saved somewhere on my PC. 

• Upvote 1
medal medal

Rossomaha.jpg

There's another picture of a Wolverine of the 1223rd Self-Propelled Artillery Regiment, 29th Tank Corps, 5th Guards Tank Army, 3rd Belorussian Front saved somewhere on my PC. 

Cool! From what I've read, the Soviets didn't document their use of the Wolverine very well. It's nice to have some images to prove that M10s actually reached units.

Edited by Henry_Bankshaft
medal

We already have the Vickers Medium in the game. It is the T-26, which is a Vickers Medium tank with a soviet turret.

The T26 tank is the Vickers 6 tonne Light also known as the Vickers Mk E

GB-Vickers6tonType2-1940.jpgGB-Vickers6ton-MarkA.jpg

The Vickers Mediums were not the same vehicle at all. (The Soviets used a version of the Vickers E and had some Vickers Mediums Mk II - which iirc they called the "English Workman".

Mk 1 

GB-VickersMark1-IonFonosch.jpg

Mk II

GB-VickersMedium-MarkII.jpg

Mk III

GB-VickersMedium-MarkIII.jpg

Maus... really? They captured destroyed Maus tank. Based on this logic you can give each nation every faken tank ever used in WWII.

Edited by Fmanfsbr
medal medal